PDA

View Full Version : G771JW: Performance problems on different powering options

spyder918
01-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Hello!

I bought G771JW-T7029H about a month ago. At the beginning I just upgraded Win8.1 -> Win10, installed BitDefender and made the 3DMark11 Performance test and scored 5453 (GPU 5313 / CPU 6446).

After few days I started to get "the FPS drop" -problem thats been discussed on other threads. At that point 3DMark11 score dropped to 4570 (GPU 4452 / CPU 6354). On this test I saw that my GPU clocks jumps up and down constantly and that theres a new ticking/rattling noise from the laptop.
The noise came from the middle of the keyboard and it was easy to hear that the ticks where running at the same speed that the frames got counted in 3DMark11 test. When the frames stopped (fps dropped) the noise also stopped. Between tests and on CPU test there was no noise.
This noise was easy to hear over the stable fan noise while sitting back normally.

I searched for the help from forums and find that someone had a problem with EVGA Precision 16 (that I had for monitoring GPU temps) so I deleted that and I didn't help anything.
I found out a suggestion that EVGA software might make some kind of changes to your BIOS options and I should reset my BIOS options. Trieds that - no help.

At this point I had pretty empty computer so I restored it totally. I didn't help and I made a RMA. ASUS Service first suggested on phone that the noise comes from fan, but after I explained it they suggest to send the laptop for repair.
At the same evening I had made the RMA I desided to give it an other try. I restored everything and upgraded my BIOS and the noise and FPS drops disappeared. The noise is still there if I place my ear 1-2cm from the keyboard.
I made a 2 hour stress test at playing BF4 with no fps cap and everything was working fine and I canceled the RMA on the next day.

I decided to keep a log at every update and program installed and track my 3DMark11 score if something lowers it. In couple days I started to have the same problem. I thought I tried everything after I tried this. I plugged in the battery..
At the beginning I decided to use this laptop without battery for saving it because 95% at the time I use the laptop at home in AC.

3DMark11 Performance scores on different powering options:

AC + Battery = 5316 (GPU 5182 / CPU 6153)
Just AC = 4420 (GPU 4353 / CPU 6294)
Just Battery = 1314 (GPU 1207 / CPU 3689)

After this I've used the laptop with no problems for a couple weeks. I have newest Win10, BIOS 211 and nVidia 359.00 driver.
Just for comparision now my "normal" 3DMark11 test score is always between 5300-5350. Compared my score to other 3DMark11 score with same level of laptops.
3 different G551JW with 960m (4GB version + +341mhz core + 225mhz memory OCs) and Win 8.1 got 3DMark11 score of 6607-6379.
2 different G551JW with 960m (2GB version + +40-75mhz core + +50-203mhz memory OCs) and Win8.1 got 3DMark11 score of 5959-5818.
Best score for G771JW/G551JW with same specs and clocks as mine and Win10 got 3DMark11 score of 5493.
Looks like Win10 lowers the score at this time vs. Win8.1.

Now I've also made a 3DMark Skydiver 1.0 test and scored 12094 (GPU 13574 / CPU 7542).
BF4 also runs stable at 60-70fps on every map (with few drops to ~50fps on lot of action) with high/medium options.
Highest temps that I've seen are from GPU 84c and from CPU 85c (they say that its limited to this by ASUS).

The question is:
1) Is this kind of noise clearly from GPU normal (that you can hear from 1-2cm distance from the laptop)?
2) What do you think about this performance? Is it looking normal?
3) Is this perfomance change between AC+Battery vs. AC only normal?
4) How safe it is to have a slight overclock on GPU (like on those other G551JWs)?
5) Upgrading RAM from 8GB -> 16GB wont change much in gaming/benchmarking preformance?

And also if you have suggestion how to boost G771JW performance im listening :)
At this point I basicly just changed the powering settingt to best performance.

Sorry for a long first post, but I thought these numbers might interest someone. And thank you for replies.

cuniac
01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
How do you do AC + Battery Vs Just AC? If its plugged isn't it just doing AC only? Just wondering how you got that setting

spyder918
01-04-2016, 01:27 AM
Yes it uses AC (and charges battery) when AC and battery are plugged, but for some reason I lose a lot performance if I unplug battery and go only with AC.
That I understand that performance takes a BIG hit when playing without AC because battery cant provide enough power, but why it affects performance when you unplug battery..

Manu.rog
01-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Yes, I've read several reports of performance issues when running without battery and/or battery goes below 40% charge.
Dont remember where i read it, it could be on this forum actually, but someone opened a RMA case with Asus and the official answer was that you should not run the laptop without battery

Regarding the rattling noise, well... to my surprise i have it too. I can hear it only if i place my ear at 1-2 cm above the middle of the keyboard.
It doesnt quite sound like "rattling", more like modulated frequencies from the power converters - either from GPU or CPU
Btw, i have a G771JW, bios 211, I added a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD and replaced the 8GB hynix sodimm with 2x 8GB HyperX Black 1600 CL9 sodimms.

Warulf
01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
How did you update the bios?

spyder918
01-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Yes, I've read several reports of performance issues when running without battery and/or battery goes below 40% charge.
Dont remember where i read it, it could be on this forum actually, but someone opened a RMA case with Asus and the official answer was that you should not run the laptop without battery

Regarding the rattling noise, well... to my surprise i have it too. I can hear it only if i place my ear at 1-2 cm above the middle of the keyboard.
It doesnt quite sound like "rattling", more like modulated frequencies from the power converters - either from GPU or CPU
Btw, i have a G771JW, bios 211, I added a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD and replaced the 8GB hynix sodimm with 2x 8GB HyperX Black 1600 CL9 sodimms.

Thanks for the info! I will test my laptop on that ~40% battery charge and see how it affects. At now I think that I just have to use my laptop with battery on and kill the battery eventually..
That noise can also be power related because it get louder if you unplug battery and use like 3DMark11. But it has something to do with GPU also because it sound like every frame causes one "tick" and when frames stop - sound stops.
Wont bother to send laptop to repair now because its working fine and repair propably takes something like 2-3 weeks.

Im considering also to upgrade my laptop. Put a 500GB SSD to replace 1TB HDD. You placed EVO on its place and it worked just fine? Have been reading about all kinds of a trouble with new SSD...
And also interested to upgrade RAM at some point.

To Warulf:
I upgraded my BIOS with WinFlash that you can download from ASUS support page. Had version 204 at start and then upgraded it to newest 211.

Warulf
01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
but isnt it better to use the bios easyflash? ive heard that winflash can bug sometimes and **** up your pc.

spyder918
01-05-2016, 09:23 PM
but isnt it better to use the bios easyflash? ive heard that winflash can bug sometimes and **** up your pc.

Sorry I don't know about that. I had basicly empty computer and already RMA made so didn't search much about that. Updating BIOS was kind of last chance and if it wouldn't work I would be sending my laptop to service anyway.
Heard a lot about dangers of BIOS updating, but first advise I found was using WinFlash so I used it. Worked for me apparently.

And at that point I thought BIOS update solved my problem because it had me to plug battery. Couple days later same problem occured and then I figured out that it was really about the battery been unplugged.

Manu.rog
01-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Im considering also to upgrade my laptop. Put a 500GB SSD to replace 1TB HDD. You placed EVO on its place and it worked just fine? Have been reading about all kinds of a trouble with new SSD...
And also interested to upgrade RAM at some point.

Yes, i moved the 1TB hdd in the other bay and put the SSD in its place.
Didnt had any troubles and the cheap Samsung 850 EVO SSD is quite fast actually.

spyder918
01-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Yes, i moved the 1TB hdd in the other bay and put the SSD in its place.
Didnt had any troubles and the cheap Samsung 850 EVO SSD is quite fast actually.

Okey. I now have 128gb SSD + 1tb HDD, but I guess it works that I just replace the HDD with another SSD.

By the way confirmed that under 40% battery charge changes performance. Made a test today. First started 3DMark11 test with 26%.
Until the test was done battery got charged to 30% and score was 3978 (GPU 3714 / CPU 6042). Then I waited for battery to get charged to 88% and ran a new test.
Battery got charged to 91% and score was 5311 (GPU 5157 / CPU 6290) like normally.

So battery charge affects GPU performance drasticly and main problem is that it wont just lower FPS it make those FPS drops that make games totally unplayable.
Also the rattling sound got louder with lower battery like I mentioned before.

I guess this is just normal then.. Maybe AC cannot supply enough power for GPU when its trying to charge a low battery at the same time.