PDA

View Full Version : G751JY NVME Support 950PRO

winyl
01-11-2016, 10:48 PM
I just found out G751JY, and maybe other with M2 slot, support 950Pro.
I have connected to G751JY with bios 2.11 950PRO 512MB.
Then I copied main HDD to 950pro with minitool patrition manager.
After copy of Hdd was made I noticed that I have second boot option "Windows Boot Manager" and one option that always has been there "Windows Boot Manager P3 HGST (type of Hitachi HDD)" that come standard with G751. I changed this with shift+ so the "Windows Boot Manager" is the first one. Now 950pro boots the G751 every time, and the boot time is just ridiculous. Just 5-7s from power button to desktop. Yay it works!
So there you have it,the full story. I am now installing now Samsung nvme driver and Samsung magician.
There is only one M2 port on G751 and you can not make raid. If you must have two 950pros in raid get G752 :).

You do everything with your own risk.If you break something or if it does not work with your G751 do not blame me for it.
I can make a detailed guide how to install 950pro in G751jy maybe the next weekend.
I noticed there is slow read/write performace. I dont know why.
II'm running windows 10 version 1511 in UEFI mode and GPT partition format. This is standard install on G751jy updated from windows 8.1 to 10. Well the write performace is good but read pefrormace is slow. I have read the MSI forum (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=264243.0). They have there also problem with slow read/write speeds with samsung magician on win 10.They say samsung will be releasing ver. 2.0 nvme driver to fix this issue on win 10. Let's hope Samsung will do so soon.

Gps3dx
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I just found out G751JY, and maybe other with M2 slot, support 950Pro.
I have connected to G751JY with bios 2.11 950PRO 512MB.
Thanks, Nice of you to try this out and report here.

I already referenced, few weeks ago, a WIN-RAID forum's thread claiming that any intel serie 6 (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html) and up can theoretical support NVMe through simple BIOS mod - As some bios missing the NVMe EFI ROM module.
Thus if the bios contains that NVMe EFI ROM, hence the laptop should support NVMe SSD - if it got a m.2 physically on the motherboard.

With the help of UBU tool from Win-RAID forum (http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html) I confirm that BIOS 211 of the G751JY has already builtin, official from asus, a NVMe EFI ROM module.
Even so - I confirm the following G751 Serie models SUPPORTS NVMe ( i.e have NVMe EFI ROM Module built in officially from asus )

G751JY - Bios version: 211
G751JT - Bios version: 211
G751JL - Bios version: 205
G751JM - Bios version: 206

Thus, if you're lucky to have a revision with the m.2 socket -> NMVe supported SSDs should work on your laptop.

About the slow R/W speed- if possible - do NOT use MS NVMe driver.
Use intel's or samsung's ( when they solve their own driver problem ) - you can get them from HERE (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html).

JustinThyme
01-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Just a little input.
While the BIOS and even motherboard on the JL and JM may support NVMe they do not support the M2 form factor unless you have some mad modding skills and can source the actual connector as the slot is not cut out and there is no connector on the board and therefore they are incapable of supporting the 950 pro. I had the idea of trying an M2 drive early on with a JL but noted the case does not have the access cut out. Before I went to breaking out a dremmel I opened it up and saw no connector either.

Top photo shows JL MOBO, Bottom show JY denoting the absence of the connector in the JL.

Gps3dx
01-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Just a little input.
While the BIOS and even motherboard on the JL and JM may support NVMe they do not support the M2 form factor unless you have some mad modding skills and can source the actual connector as the slot is not cut out and there is no connector on the board and therefore they are incapable of supporting the 950 pro. I had the idea of trying an M2 drive early on with a JL but noted the case does not have the access cut out. Before I went to breaking out a dremmel I opened it up and saw no connector either.

Top photo shows JL MOBO, Bottom show JY denoting the absence of the connector in the JL.

well... of course you're right... if one doesn't have the M.2 connector - no bios mod in the world would help to get NVMe support.
The thing is that if asus sold officially, even in part of the countries, a G751JX ( X=Y,T,L,M ) with m.2 ssd - there's a chance that you might have the m.2 connector, or if you RMA and the lab decide to change the motherboard to a newer one -> there's a chance that you might get a newer/older revision of the motherboard - that might contain a m.2 connection...
There is a lot of if/but/might here...

What is certain is that asus officially inserted into the G751 serie an EFI NVMe ROM module - which is one of components necessary to get NMVe support on these laptops.

joshindaphils
01-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Do we have people using the 950 w/o issues reported yet?

JustinThyme
01-13-2016, 01:44 AM
This is the first Ive heard on the G751 but there are plenty running it on the G752.
Its all dependant on what you call issues. The Samsung Magician and Samsung drivers dont work, not even with a SATA 850 SSD. Seems the Samsung software is having problems seeing past the Intel raid controller. The Stock SM951 NVMe comes without Samsung software or drivers and works just fine as do all others that are using OEM drives. The Samsung software is consumer marketed. I can set up my machine for optimization and leave 10% unalocated space for oever provisioning without Samsung software and Im getting every bit as good performance as reviewers that have the drive on a platform where the software works. Native drivers take care of trim and trash.

well... of course you're right... if one doesn't have the M.2 connector - no bios mod in the world would help to get NVMe support.
The thing is that if asus sold officially, even in part of the countries, a G751JX ( X=Y,T,L,M ) with m.2 ssd - there's a chance that you might have the m.2 connector, or if you RMA and the lab decide to change the motherboard to a newer one -> there's a chance that you might get a newer/older revision of the motherboard - that might contain a m.2 connection...
There is a lot of if/but/might here...

What is certain is that asus officially inserted into the G751 serie an EFI NVMe ROM module - which is one of components necessary to get NMVe support on these laptops.

Im more than sure that the mother boards are pretty much identical. Only the missing M2 connector because you didnt pay for it and different GPU. If I happen across a JY MOBO being sold off you can bet Ill snag it up and put it in a JL and take a dremel to the case where the connector goes.

You can also plainly see the missing VRAM chips, sockets are there, just empty.

winyl
01-13-2016, 05:32 AM
Thus, if you're lucky to have a revision with the m.2 socket -> NMVe supported SSDs should work on your laptop.
proof ( G751JY - Bios version: 211 )

Here is my UBU v1.45 scan of 2.11 G751jy BIOS. The G751jy bios is Aptio 4 so I do not know what bios scan you have posted.
I can not see any NVME driver in 2.11 bios.
OK I'll try with nvme driver recommended by win-raid.
From what I have read on MSI forum it is a problem with Samsung NVME driver exclusivly on Windows 10 home?,but performance was at rated spec when benchmaked with Windows 10PRO (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=g0djri95j4bcfnhsfog77a4154&topic=264569.msg1515228#msg1515228). they say there Samsung will be realeasing NVME driver v2.0 to remedy this problem on win 10 (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=264243.0).

winyl
01-13-2016, 05:56 AM
Intel NVME wan't install on my G751jy. I'm on Samsung NVME v1.4.7.17 dated 12.11.2015. Here are results from AS SSD:
And from Samsung Magician v4.9.5:

Sniffy
01-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Im more than sure that the mother boards are pretty much identical. Only the missing M2 connector because you didnt pay for it and different GPU. If I happen across a JY MOBO being sold off you can bet Ill snag it up and put it in a JL and take a dremel to the case where the connector goes.

You can also plainly see the missing VRAM chips, sockets are there, just empty.

The JM/JL have smaller cases with shorter heatsinks, JT/JY have thicker cases with taller heatsinks. If you swapped out the mobo you may have problems cooling the higher end GPUs, as the TDPs get higher the higher up the GTX 9xxM series you go.

Gps3dx
01-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Here is my UBU v1.45 scan of 2.11 G751jy BIOS. The G751jy bios is Aptio 4 so I do not know what bios scan you have posted.
From what I have read on MSI forum it is a problem with Samsung NVME driver exclusivly on Windows 10 home?,but performance was at rated spec when benchmaked with Windows 10PRO (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=g0djri95j4bcfnhsfog77a4154&topic=264569.msg1515228#msg1515228). they say there Samsung will be realeasing NVME driver v2.0 to remedy this problem on win 10 (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=264243.0).

Frak, I think you're right...
When I used UBU tool I think I didn't cleaned the cached folder created after the 1st bios I tried - which was from the G752... which are Aptio V based and NVMe supported...
so when I loaded G751's bios's the ubu actually re-read the G752 on... BAH....
nontheless - we can try to insert the NVMe module into the bios (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html) - and even more good news is that G751 based on Aptio IV not V - thus there are much more tools to mod the bios.

JustinThyme
01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Intel NVME wan't install on my G751jy. I'm on Samsung NVME v1.4.7.17 dated 12.11.2015. Here are results from AS SSD:
And from Samsung Magician v4.9.5:

There is no Intel NVMe on any other platforms either, just the Intel raid controller on the G752. The actual NVMe driver on the G752 is Microsoft.
Your benchmarks are not at all accurate, something funky going on. Those numbers are unattainable by any device. 737GB/s read? That would mean the entire contents of your drive could be read in just 0.64684741 seconds. Maybe next century as of right now the max is 2.5GB/s
The Sequential read and write in Magician is less than half of what it should be. Im getting 2016 read and 1513 write.

The Samsung benchmarks are about on par with what Im getting from a 850 SATA SSD

Can you please show what is going on in Device Manager? Maybe run a crystalmarks bench?
Thanks!

winyl
01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Well the speed is not at the spec level.
Guys on the MSi forum found out whem upgrading win7 pro to win10pro that the speed stayed within spec. I get mixed benchmark results form 920MB/s to 670MB/s.
Something is holding the transfer speeds back. Has Win10 home some problem of getting full speed with 950pro? Bummer :( Is it because of some incompatibility between win10 home and Samsung NVME v1.47?
Well now I can try benchmarks with win10pro.

Gps3dx
01-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Guys on the MSi forum found out whem upgrading win7 pro to win10pro that the speed stayed within spec. I get mixed benchmark results form 920MB/s to 670MB/s.
Something is holding the transfer speeds back. Has Win10 home some problem of getting full speed with 950pro? Bummer :( Is it because of some incompatibility between win10 home and Samsung NVME v1.47?
The OS itself has very little to do with R/W speed... it is the DRIVER that is different between OS version !
some drivers from win 7 x64 can work on 8 and on 10 as well, but the other way around - not so possible/recommended.
Thus, Please stop blaming the OS, as it is drivers issue - again mainly... I won't get into details right now, as it isn't that important nor effect drastically on benchmarks.

Also, you when you upgrade from win7 to 10 and you compare benchmarks - you need to have a common denominator as much as possible so the benchmark compare will be fair.... ( same driver version, same HW, same app load, same bios config, same room temp ( for the scientists among us ) )
E.I 1: win 7 pro on MBR+Legacy bios isn't equal to compare with win 10 pro on GPT+UEFI.....
E.I 2: win 7 on AHCI vs win10 on RAID....
These examples are NOT fair comparison as different tech are involved in each case.

Gps3dx
01-13-2016, 09:31 PM
OMFG.... Hello there winyl... :rolleyes:
Can you please share with us the BIOS you successfully managed to mod ? ( see ref HERE... I guess as you got the same username here... you're the same "winyl" in win-raid forums ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up-31.html#msg23962) :o:o:o

Which G751 model have you modded ? Y / T ?
what modules have you deleted from the exsiting bios ? ( is it only Mtftp6D ? what module is that ? )
what bios version have you modded ?
what NVMe EFI ROM module ".fss" file have you used ? ( uncompressed / compressed / without header )
Which tool did you used to flash the modded bios ? is it same tool to backup current bios ?
After flashing - did you change any bios configuration ? Do you see NVMe when you enter BIOS -> advanced->sata configuration ?
what's the story with "I have to flash my backup of bios chip with "nvram program" to get back keyboard backlit" ? what steps & exe required ?

As you might be the 1st G751 user that actually have working NVMe - Can you please share your files & make a short guide so others with the other model of G751 can do so also ?
I guess this thread will be a *HOT* & sticky thread soon...

JustinThyme
01-13-2016, 11:06 PM

I can tell you that on a G752 with the factory image of Win10 home and after upgrading to Win10 Pro the read and write speeds are on par, I already have the results posted in the G752 950 pro thread. Im not using any Samsung drivers or software. The NVMe drivers are native in Win 8.1 and later.

winyl
01-14-2016, 08:02 PM
I can give you the modified bios,but I think I can't get the nvme driver to work. I can't see 950PRO text in the bios. I'll check it again during weekend, maybe I get bios to detect 950PRO.
But it is not nessesery for making raid, nor booting and working with windows.

Something is clearly wrong. Speeds are slow, but sometimes magician catches bursts like I get 1400/1600MB/s for a short time,but those bursts never make to final result. Like there is some cache overflow? And as you can see write IOPS are very close to the specs.
I measured file transfers time between two partitions and ramdisk I have made and they are faster thnat what shows magician, Reads are faster than 670MB/s.

One problem might be G751jy has all 16 PCIe gen 3 lanes assigned to GTX980,, and there are no free gen3 lanes for 950PRO ,and it is running on gen2 PCIE, and by spec it needs gen 3, 4lines PCIE.
Also the Intel DMI on G751jy works with 5GT/s gen2. 950pro needs gen3 Maybe 950PRO is to fast for it?

gtharea
01-21-2016, 01:37 AM
One problem might be G751jy has all 16 PCIe gen 3 lanes assigned to GTX980,, and there are no free gen3 lanes for 950PRO ,and it is running on gen2 PCIE, and by spec it needs gen 3, 4lines PCIE.
Also the Intel DMI on G751jy works with 5GT/s gen2. 950pro needs gen3 Maybe 950PRO is to fast for it?

I have a feeling this might be the case... My SM951 AHCI can never hit 8.0Gbps, its always at 5.0Gbps Gen2 speeds (according to hwinfo and benchmarks)

winyl
02-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Yep the chipset in G751 is to old for 950pro, use sm951 instead.

JustinThyme
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
A little clarification on the above post. SM951 AHCI as there are two different versions and the NVMe is not going to work as it has the same architecture as the 950 pro.

iwantspeed
05-14-2016, 02:43 AM
Hello i have an asus g751jy with bios version of 2.11 and a pcie slot installed. i'm confused after reading multiple threads will a 950pro work or not as a boot drive?

hexaae
05-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Should this one work with G751JY?
MZVPV256HDGL-00000

JustinThyme
05-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Should this one work with G751JY?
MZVPV256HDGL-00000

Sorry but no, thats an OEM NVMe drive, actually the one that came stock in my G752VY.

Change the 3rd letter to an H and you are all set.
MZHPV256HDGL-00000

J3c00L
09-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Hi, I've a little problem with my Samsung NVMe on my G751JY... it's not a SM951 but a PM951, you can find the specifications here : http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZVLV256HCHP?ia=831

Firstly, I've cloned the sys volume on it but impossible to boot in NVMe, I've seen some posts about that and I'll check them later... but my first problem is to find the correct driver/controller : when I start Samsung Magician, the controller is not found, and I've installed the last Samsung NVMe driver... any idea to resolve this?

I've tried the drivers from this topic (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html), but they're the same than from the official website, with the same result... :(

Here are some pics (sys is in french, sry) :

Is the .inf file is correct? Is it oem45.inf? I was thinking it was the nvme.inf file from the drivers archive... :confused:

As you can see, it appears as a SDHC disk drive in Windows... :eek:

J3c00L
09-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Nobody can help me?

:confused:

dddwilliams
10-02-2016, 02:20 PM
When i run the modded bios as instructed here (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html)
All i had to removed was Mtftp6Dxe, all i had to do was scroll through to find and remove that, otherwise no matter what i tried to add i got an area about not enough space.
Once that was done refer to the link of which i copied the instructions exactly, it was the uncompressed version i added, when adding the compressed one i couldn't find a record of NVMe listed when running UEFI Bios Updater,
so when i added the uncompressed NVMeExpressDxE.ffs, saved it, ran through UEFI BIOS Updater the pics show the results, it's called EFI Team NVME Driver. Whether this will work i don't know yet (i haven't flashed this BIOS yet no point without NVMe drive) but i am going to try get an M2 SSD to test this week, why Asus couldn't accomodate such a simple
fix for this is beyond me i have been on contact with them a lot and you get little to know response and it seems like so many have little or no knowledge, yet i was told my Intel and Samsung this was a relatively easy thing for Asus to fix. I wouldn't have bothered if i could easily
obtain an AHCI version of the SM951 512gb M2 SSD, but i am in Australia and can only find them in the US but am yet to find a seller willing to ship to Australia and the asking price is a joke vs NVMe, so if i can get NVMe to work i will run with that, might even try get a 1TB version if this was to work.
Anyway i hope this works for me when i come to do it, whether it does or doesn't i'll be sure to post back! Am thinking of trying a 256gb 950 Pro first to confirm it works, and that Samsung magician works, i was then told by store i could return it and get a larger more expensive one if i liked (SM951 512gb or SM961(1TB) if budget allows!
Sure i may not be able to use a SM961 to it's full potential but it could certainly wind up in another system later on.

Brighttail
11-21-2016, 04:24 PM
**note** Well I was able to load the OS on to the NVME drive but when I went to restart and boot from it? No go. So the laptop as is recognizes a UEFI flash drive okay but not a M.2. :( SO I would have to change the BIOS it seems so my question below still stands. I noticed that in the instruction that they said the 950 may contain it's own drivers to help it be recognized in BIOS, anyone know if the 951 OEM has the same ones?

Hello all,

I have a G751JT that has the M.2 slot on the motherboard. I have been using a SM951 AHCI driver in there but have an SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD as well.
I went through the instructions here and I found the CSMCore on my 2.11 BIOS. The problem is when I tried to insert the NVMeExpressDXe file i would get that error that there wasn't enough room. So I tried both the compressed and uncompressed file with the same end result. The NVMeExpressDXe file would simply not insert into the BIOS.

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong. I've followed the step by step shown and keep getting that error.

The only other thing that I have noticed is the BIOS file for this laptop is a .211 file extension not cap or such. Is that an issue?

mpgioia
06-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Coming into this thread almost two years on.
I have a G751JY (211 BIOS), and looking at running a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive (MZ-V7E2T0BW) in replace of my existing Samsung MZHPU256HCGL M.2 drive that came stock with it.
Used Acronis to do a full part backup of bootable volume(s) and restore to this new M.2 drive (aka backed up to onboard 4Tb platter SATA drive, removed the existing M.2, put it in new M.2, launched Acronis bootable rescue media/universal restore, and restored full backtup tib file to the new disk and initialised it)... Acronis saw it just fine.

I can't, however, boot off this new M.2 drive now. And BIOS literally doesn't see it ? .. that can't be.. can it ?

Any suggestions ?

mpgioia
06-07-2018, 02:53 AM
Coming into this thread almost two years on.
I have a G751JY (211 BIOS), and looking at running a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive (MZ-V7E2T0BW) in replace of my existing Samsung MZHPU256HCGL M.2 drive that came stock with it.
Used Acronis to do a full part backup of bootable volume(s) and restore to this new M.2 drive (aka backed up to onboard 4Tb platter SATA drive, removed the existing M.2, put it in new M.2, launched Acronis bootable rescue media/universal restore, and restored full backtup tib file to the new disk and initialised it)... Acronis saw it just fine.

I can't, however, boot off this new M.2 drive now. And BIOS literally doesn't see it ? .. that can't be.. can it ?

Any suggestions ?

UPDATE
Others (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91950-Samsung-960-EVO-and-PRO-M-2-not-recognized-in-bios/) are recommending a CMOS reset ?
That is simply down by popping the battery for 5 to 10 minutes and then replacing in the G751JY's ?

hexaae
06-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Try Macrium Reflect Free instead of Acronis, AFAICR a long time ago I read something was buggy with Acronis with some machines/SSDs/m.2 related to partition flags after restoring...