PDA

View Full Version : G752VY Fan Rubbers and the First Charging

SteaK n Cheese
01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Hi guys!

Recently I have bought a G752VY-GC082T from Media Markt but while unpacking it I did not pay attention to the details and I happened to threw away the rubbers that were placed onto the fans. Later I have found out that I was suppose to keep those rubbers in order to protect the fans but it was already too late. My question is that are those rubbers really essential? I believe they were placed there to prevent anything from going into the fans but I checked and that area looks pretty okay to me without those rubbers too. However if they are that important, any idea where can I get them? (I have attached a picture of the hole in the fan)

Also I saw later in the manual it says charge it for 3 hours before using it, but I had just plugged it in and started using. I did let it charge up to 100% for the first time though. So I feel like it should be okay but I just wanted to make sure.

I am waiting for your answers!

PS: Whatever I did the photo kept being upside down, soryy about that.

Sniffy
01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't have a G752 but I have no idea why there'd be rubber stoppers in the rear vent. I can pretty much guarantee nothing bad will ever happen to your notebook. A quick google tells me it has something to do with dust or something which makes no sense. Don't worry about it.

They usually do advise you to charge before using but it's not an issue. The battery won't be in use if it's plugged in, so it should make no difference. The AC adapter would just have to supply power to charge the battery and power the laptop, but they do that all the time anyway.

SteaK n Cheese
01-13-2016, 12:22 PM
It`s just that in the manual it says keep the rubber on when you are not using the Notebook. So I thought since it has a little bit big fan holes something could get into the notebook or something. But that relieved me now, thanks!

And by the way, I searched a lot of for this but I am still not sure about it. What is the best way to get the most out of lithuim batteries? I have found out that shallow charges are the best for it, but I am still not so sure.

Clintlgm
01-13-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't have a G752 either but I remember in the advertising that the bottom of the vents is somehow a dust removal system. As to the Rubber plugs I don't believe this has come up in the forum so far????. So my assumption would be that they are in everyone's notebook and they having had the issue of them coming out? or non of them have these plugs at all? You'll get more specific answers later on today as everyone will read this post and check there's

SteaK n Cheese
01-13-2016, 03:52 PM
No, I had them already. But I didn´t think it was important and I threw them away. Now I have come to think that if I need them or not.

JustinThyme
01-13-2016, 04:15 PM
I do have the G752VY and I put the rubber plugs back in the box and left them with everything else like the original drives etc.
They are not essential. The intent is if you are not using the machine for an extended period you are supposed to put the plugs back in where you took them out. They seal up the dust port on the fans and are intended to keep dust out if the machine is sitting up for a long time.
Dont worry, you are not the first. Most question WTF they are for and either chunk them right out of the box or lose them shortly anyhow.

SteaK n Cheese
01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Oh! Thanks for the informatin! Now I think that perhaps I should get them, but I dont° know how. Do you think I could get them from somewhere? Or maybe Media Markt would get them to me somehow?

JustinThyme
01-13-2016, 06:47 PM
I think you will find sourcing them a challenge in the least. Your best bet would be to beg ASUS support.
Honestly I think they are just a gimmick. They are on the exhaust side, not over the heat sinks but over the dust port.
Gentech has a decent tear down at the end of their review that shows the cooling fans intakes are on the top. Attached image shows a rendition of the cooling system, the plugs go over where the dust is shown exiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z35anO2Dwo

SteaK n Cheese
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanky you for all the information! It looks like I will be just as fine without the plugs. Besides I don`t think I will ever let this baby sit down for a long time unused :D Even though I would keep it in that soft white case it came with. So I think it would be fine. Thank you again!

Sniffy
01-14-2016, 08:54 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that dust removal system doesn't even work and is more of a marketing gimmick. I don't see how from the above diagram that it would do anything at all.

nandodean
01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that dust removal system doesn't even work and is more of a marketing gimmick. I don't see how from the above diagram that it would do anything at all.

It could be done, as a dust/particle cyclone remover system (check on wiki), but I trully don't believe it can be done with that looow width of the laptop. Needs plenty more room. The idea is however good, would definitely set a group of engineers to work on that

JustinThyme
01-14-2016, 12:26 PM

The dust particles are heavier than air. By principle the centrifugal force will push particulates to the outside and dispel them through the slot instead of them going into the heat sink fins. Cant tell you if it actually works but I cans say that there is more thought on this machine along the lines of dust prevention than previous models. Ill let you know after I've had the machine for awhile is it makes a difference.

Julskey
01-14-2016, 03:07 PM
This system will work if the outer channel where the denser dust particles pass is so smooth that any dust will not stick to them. As for the rubber plugs, i believe its sole purpose is for transport inside the box so the vents or that plastic edge at the rear of the laptop would not get smudged or dented by the box itself.

JustinThyme
01-14-2016, 03:24 PM
As for the rubber plugs, i believe its sole purpose is for transport inside the box so the vents or that plastic edge at the rear of the laptop would not get smudged or dented by the box itself.

Page 27 of the manual says differently
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G752VL/0409_E10716_G752VL_VT_VY_C.pdf

Dr4g0n36
01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
hmmm, i had the same question...let'see how this thread is solved (also i saw the manual, and i'm using notebook without rubbers from december with apparently no issues).

Julskey
01-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Yes, i also have the manual, but i dont see any reason to keep it on except for transport, or maybe it keeps cockroaches from entering the laptop when not in use? Now the question is, if the plugs are on when the laptop is in use? The manual is not very clear of the reason why you have to put in on when not in use. If it was si important, then why secure it with cable ties? They could do the job a little bit better. Anyway i still kept mine because thats what the manual says.

SteaK n Cheese
01-15-2016, 10:06 PM
I am guessing this thread won`t be solved.. :/

JustinThyme
01-16-2016, 12:04 AM
I solved my issue with them. I cut the clothes tag plastic that was holding them on and put them in the box where they will live forever. I honestly don't see the need for them.

As for a source to find them, My guess is the only way you will would be to beg them off of someone else.

On your battery, you should be fine. They are not dead out of the box and you didn't use it on battery until it was dead before it charged fully.

SteaK n Cheese
01-16-2016, 10:32 AM
I solved my issue with them. I cut the clothes tag plastic that was holding them on and put them in the box where they will live forever. I honestly don't see the need for them.

As for a source to find them, My guess is the only way you will would be to beg them off of someone else.

On your battery, you should be fine. They are not dead out of the box and you didn't use it on battery until it was dead before it charged fully.

Yes I guess I will just use the computer without the fan stoppers.

I have contacted ASUS for the battery they said it should be charged to 3 hours before use to ensure that the battery is calibrated. But I guess they just have to say that to save their butts or something. All I knew that first charge must be up to 100% then it should be fine. If you really also think so, then I believe I got nothing to worry about. I really wish I just had read the manual first..

Simao
06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
I forgot to take out mines, and i´ve used the laptop with them when i was installing the windows. This can damage the laptop, using with the rubbers?

JustinThyme
06-24-2016, 05:48 PM
No damage that I can see. They simply cover the ports for the dust ejection and may cause dust build up but nothing beyond that.

MrRuckus
06-24-2016, 10:10 PM
I also cut those off. If they are supposed to be used during transport, you would think Asus would make then a little more permanent then a simple plastic tie that looks like it came off a clothes price tag. They really look like they are a piece of the shipping packaging material and should be removed. Its like having a tag still on a hat that you wear. It would look lame to leave them connected and pop them out every time you used it.

They really should look into letting the end user TAKE OFF the semi see through button plastic shroud. This would give the end user access to the fans and could clean them easily. You may be able to take it off, but I have been hesitant to try as I don't want to take the risk of damaging one of the clips that hold it on. This to me seems like a much better solution that 2 rubber plugs.