PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Blinking Battery LED [Solved]

Boulingrin
01-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Hello there,

I've got a one year-old G751JY. Today when launching a random game, the fans suddenly started working real loud, as never before, for no particular reason. Then the battery LED started blinking green and orange. Might have been cause the day before, I switched off the computer in a hurry when noticing some elements overheated up to 80°C after only 10mn of The Witcher 3 (game was running smooth on screen though. Anyway).

Aside from the fact I'll never play this game again, I tried a couple things including uninstalling/reinstalling the battery drivers from the device manager. Now the LED is blinking orange only.

Now battery won't charge anymore, and judging from the sound the computer made when the LED started blinking, I think it's dead.

The thing is, I don't want to send my computer in support nor repair cause my warranty is expired (2 weeks too late) :D and I'd like to try by myself removing and replacing the battery before making any expense.

Heard it's impossible due to the fact it is a built-in, non-removable battery on this model.

So two words : help please!

Thanks.

NitroX
01-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Don't worry mate! It sometimes happens due to the power management of the laptop. I've had a lot of trouble with blinking leds while I was working with the NBFC. So here's what you have to do: Restart laptop -> When RoG Logo appears press&hold the power button for like 10secs (during the time you will see the battery led going off and then back on ) -> then just start your laptop and you'll see that everything works just fine.

JustinThyme
01-15-2016, 02:27 PM
If the battery is toast it should still work plugged in unless the battery is shorted which can load down the power adaptor rendering the machine useless.
Just keep in mind that is ASUS can replace the battery, then so can you. Its just not as easy as in the past.

HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU) is a tear down video of a G751 that shows where the battery is. Should not be too difficult to get it out. Havent had to replace it myself and as much as I like the fellow members Im not pulling my machine apart again just to see how the batter comes out. The video shows how to get to it and anyone who is capable enough to change the battery should be able to figure it out from there. Just a couple of screws and one connector I believe, maybe some double sided tape.

There are plenty of places to source them, just do a search. OEM batteries go for around $130 and generic for $75, I always pay the extra to get the OEM just so I dont have issues with the battery being read by the system, happens a lot!

Blinking orange usually denotes the battery is too hot, or at least thats what its supposed to mean. Not always the case. Bad drivers can do the same thing.

Alternating green/orange means there is something wrong with the charging system, but again this can be false.

First thing is to double check your power adapter is working, should be getting ~19-20VDC out of it. If that is good then move on to looking closer at the battery. The normal thing to do is to remove the battery and as much of a PITA as I know its going to be I would still recommend following the procedure to save yourself from the expense of a new battery if not needed.

Shut down, remove power cord, remove battery, reinstall power cord, start without battery, go into device manager and delete everything there under the battery heading. Reboot (still with no battery) shutdown, reinstall battery and start up again. Go into device manager and check battery listings. If still flashing orange and your power adapter is good then its time for a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me it the "sound it made". Could you be a little more descriptive? Popping, hissing? Did the sound happen then the light, at the same time, or the light then the sound?

Boulingrin
01-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Don't worry mate! It sometimes happens due to the power management of the laptop. I've had a lot of trouble with blinking leds while I was working with the NBFC. So here's what you have to do: Restart laptop -> When RoG Logo appears press&hold the power button for like 10secs (during the time you will see the battery led going off and then back on ) -> then just start your laptop and you'll see that everything works just fine.

JESUS CHRIST ! Sorry.

It works!

How the ***?

Man I've spent the whole day on the internet and on the phone with customer service and I couldn't find a solution.

Thank you soooo much ! :))

No need to remove the battery anymore. I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned:))

Boulingrin
01-15-2016, 09:08 PM
If the battery is toast it should still work plugged in unless the battery is shorted which can load down the power adaptor rendering the machine useless.
Just keep in mind that is ASUS can replace the battery, then so can you. Its just not as easy as in the past.

HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU) is a tear down video of a G751 that shows where the battery is. Should not be too difficult to get it out. Havent had to replace it myself and as much as I like the fellow members Im not pulling my machine apart again just to see how the batter comes out. The video shows how to get to it and anyone who is capable enough to change the battery should be able to figure it out from there. Just a couple of screws and one connector I believe, maybe some double sided tape.

There are plenty of places to source them, just do a search. OEM batteries go for around $130 and generic for $75, I always pay the extra to get the OEM just so I dont have issues with the battery being read by the system, happens a lot!

Blinking orange usually denotes the battery is too hot, or at least thats what its supposed to mean. Not always the case. Bad drivers can do the same thing.

Alternating green/orange means there is something wrong with the charging system, but again this can be false.

First thing is to double check your power adapter is working, should be getting ~19-20VDC out of it. If that is good then move on to looking closer at the battery. The normal thing to do is to remove the battery and as much of a PITA as I know its going to be I would still recommend following the procedure to save yourself from the expense of a new battery if not needed.

Shut down, remove power cord, remove battery, reinstall power cord, start without battery, go into device manager and delete everything there under the battery heading. Reboot (still with no battery) shutdown, reinstall battery and start up again. Go into device manager and check battery listings. If still flashing orange and your power adapter is good then its time for a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me it the "sound it made". Could you be a little more descriptive? Popping, hissing? Did the sound happen then the light, at the same time, or the light then the sound?

Thanks Justin! Well, my problem has been solved just by pushing a button.

To be more descriptive anyway, the fans AND the led started acting strange exactly in the same time. The fans went full crazy, I think all of them ran at 100% for a few seconds. Never heard that much sound coming from this laptop in one year of intensive use, I thought it was about to take off.

Now that everything is back to normal, seems it was just a security to prevent overheating and battery damage anyway: the BIOS might have like, "disconnected" the battery and tried to cool it down as in an emergency.

I'm very happy nothing was actually broken, the battery is now back to normal.

Thanks for your support guys.

NitroX
01-15-2016, 11:19 PM
JESUS CHRIST ! Sorry.

It works!

How the ***?

Man I've spent the whole day on the internet and on the phone with customer service and I couldn't find a solution.

Thank you soooo much ! :))

No need to remove the battery anymore. I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned:))

This actually happens quite often to ASUS Models. Well, it's like a common problem over here on the forums but it's not like it is going to occur too often. I just had this problem cause I messed with the laptop's fans while using NotebookFanController. The heat from Witcher 3 shouldn't be a problem since the system can handle up to 95C on CPU, and at that moment it will first throttle the CPU to like 3000Mhz in order to let it cool down. So the weird fan behavior might have come from an issue with the Embedded Controller where the fans, battery, temperatures, sleep mode and all these things are being controlled.

Corporal
01-15-2016, 11:46 PM
I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned)
No need for that, the issue happens sporadically

JustinThyme
01-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Nice Info to store in my brain somewhere, thanks for the tip NitroX! Im an old fart but still learn something new everyday!

+1 on Rep!

Zubair028
03-26-2016, 01:58 PM
HI
No Blinking and all..
But shows 12% available (plugged in, charging)
If i remove adapter, it power off like a TV on power cut.

Please help me..

rogjoke
03-26-2016, 08:44 PM
My computer was working perfectly fine, I returned to work next day, plugged it in and it would not take a charge. Battery is at 0%, Battery LED blinks orange/ Green cycle. PC shuts down immediately when unplugging a/c adapter. I tried the uninstall/scan for changes technique, also tried to hold power button down. I even rolled back to Windows 8.1 thinking it could be a software issue. My last hope is to buy a new battery and see if that works. Just to confirm I did the power button hold correctly this is what I tried.

I powered on the computer, when Asus logo appears, I held the power button down for 1 minute, this of course shuts the computer off, the battery LED blinked a few times then went out. When I pushed the button again, the computer comes on but still no battery charging. It seems like it want to try for about five seconds before it goes back to the green/orange blinking.

I'm pretty bummed out about this, I babied this computer, Infact, I'm typing this on my old g74 rog machine that still works. I've looked at a video on how to remove the battery which seems pretty easy. But still a pain in the ass none the less.

I have to admit, I really like the g751. But with windows getting worse each version, cramming updates down our throat, and 1,400 dollar computer that died in 14 months pushed me to a brand new Mac book Pro. I've gone back and forth over the years due to the work I do, I'm a cinematographer/ film director/editor. It really sets me back when my computers don't work properly.

Weirdoutworld
03-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Rogjoke, I've had nightmares about things like this... Sorry that happened to you. Somebody here will help you. Lot of great skilled people here.

vempatyappu
04-21-2016, 08:14 AM
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.

aeolisio
04-28-2016, 11:31 PM
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.
In most cases its a bank of cells that fails but sometimes like in vampatyappu its the actual charging circuit board in the battery pack that fails and destroys the cells by improperly charging them. Be wary when considering a rebuild that there are other factors that can cause those cells to fail than just wear and tear. Out of maybe 50 just g751 packs i have only ever seen the charging circuit fail twice. Unfortunately usually the packs are built with LG cells and these specific cells dont have quite the same cycle life as the samsung or panasonic options. I have never seen a rebuilt pack fail though.

Chris345
10-09-2017, 10:12 AM
This issue started for me a second time . Asus replaced battery under warranty on my G751 last year and 4 days ago the flashing amber started again and "13% plugged in not charging" message. I complain loudly to Asus and am waiting to hear back from a supervisor(?) in support. But in meantime I tried this power button fix and amazingly it has worked and battery is charging again. So I'll see how long this fix holds. Many Thanks to author of this repair.

MAD3000
10-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I hope this thread is still under attention so that I don’t have to open a new one.
I got a similar problem with my ASUS ROG751 JY Laptop. A few days ago I recognized that the battery LED was blinking permanently orange fast. I found this thread so I tried the „power button fix“. The battery LED was not blinking anymore, but the charge status in Windows 10 said that the battery is not fully charged after a few hours. It remains at 89% and never goes far. When I disconnected the power supply the status in Windows still remains at 89% so after a couple of time the Laptop turned off hard. After that i reconnected the power supply. The battery was charging and the battery LED started to blink again as it reached 89%. Now the battery status in Windows is shown correctly, but the battery still isn’t going over 89%.

The Laptop is out of guarantee since a couple of time so I would replace the battery by an OEM one by myself, but i want to be shure that it is really the battery who is the problem and not the charger or the Laptop itself.

Is anybody able to say that it is defenitely the battery, that is making problem and that a replacement will fix it?

Greetings from germany
MAD3000

OnePiece@ASUS
10-24-2017, 08:13 AM
I will suggest you to shut down the laptop first, then press the power key 30 seconds to reset Embed Controller and charge the battery again.
If it is still no work, please take your laptop to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

Evil Hotdog
01-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem. This has been happening for about two years now since my battery became faulty.
The battery would only charge till 84%, but it still worked so I didn't bother, and when the orange light started blinking I would do the 'power button fix' which worked for some days/weeks.

My issue now is that the battery still charges to 84% but when I unplug the AC adapter the laptop just dies. No problem though, I don't need the battery really, so I got the battery out and only use the AC adapter....
But the damn orange light start blinking again, now everytime I use the laptop for a few hours. It's irritating me, because there is no more battery!
I could just unplug the indicator lights ... but what I want to know is, is it safe to use the laptop this way, without a battery?
I only want to buy a new one if it's really necessery.

Also, I disabled the battery with device manager to see if that helps anything, but by doing so the GPU will be shut down because of some error. whats up with that?

Thanks for any advice

EdMuse
03-23-2018, 03:19 PM

That worked! Thanks! I was worried I was going to have to tear the sucker down again!

EdMuse
03-25-2018, 04:26 AM
That worked! Thanks! I was worried I was going to have to tear the sucker down again!

Actually, that worked temporarily. The problem has come back several times in the past few days. Flashing orange and green battery light, battery reading full charge, charge percentage not going down with usage on battery. Fun fact: the charge reading is also saying I have 10 hours of charge on the battery. Ten hours of battery life is a pipe dream on a machine like this!

dapogz
03-27-2018, 05:29 AM
i Got the Red blinking Power indicator,, while my laptop is plug and the charge is above 92%, Battery Condition is at 21% Wear (G751JT)

One solution i tried that actually work me

- Unplug the Power adapter from the laptop
- Hold the power button for 1 minute (Yes, one minute, even if its already off)
- Turn the laptop power on again (Battery light should be off)
- Plug the power adapter to the laptop (Battery Light Should be Steady RED - indicates that the battery is now charging)

Hopes this Helps

Drakaeus
05-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Totally worked on my JT variant. Same issues as OP pretty much. LED started blinking, but it happened while I had it charging when powered off. It would read as 86% charged or 108hrs+ available. The battery reports would say the same thing with no additional info. When I would remove the AC it would just shut off. After doing the trick it read the battery properly and started charging! I have already replaced the battery before and am glad I don't have to again so soon.

timbuk2
09-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Thanks Justin! Well, my problem has been solved just by pushing a button.

Didn't work for me... Mine is still blink orange and green and never stopped while booting and holding the power button. I do think it's time for a new battery though... will try that next.

kimiraikkonen
09-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Didn't work for me... Mine is still blink orange and green and never stopped while booting and holding the power button. I do think it's time for a new battery though... will try that next.
I have the same problem with G53JW. Battery is randomly flashing green and orange together eventhough charging level is shown as %100 on Windows, but not fully charged.

Is it really because of bad battery? Or bad PSU? :(

Chris345
05-09-2019, 02:28 PM
For whats its worth I had all problems described above with my G751JT. For years I muddled through until battery pack went completely dead.
I mustered up courage and bought a new battery off Amazon, found the utube video where the guys replaces battery on G751. I followed his steps and I now have a fresh battery and its like a new computer to me. No more worries about all the flashing lights.

BTW I took the old battery pack apart to see if any of the 18561 batteries were good. I tested them all and though old and low on capacity they were all still good and probably were not the cause of failure. I attribute failure of this pack to the BMS, battery management system board that is in the pack, which controls the charging and balance of the 8 / 18650 LIPo batteries. These circuit boards are the weakness IMHO.