PDA

View Full Version : G752 (fastest) memory upgrade

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 05:03 AM
Being the usual can't leave well enough alone personality that I am I just have to find out how far the memory on this machine will go. I'm going to pilfer my kids college funds and go for broke with 64GB.

Question is, which. Pretty much only GSkill making 16GB sticks and only the egg is carrying them.

Being that this machine is new pretty much no one has tried it yet.

toronto699
01-18-2016, 07:29 AM
Justine did u run the crucial compatibility tool to see what it says? I wonder what it would say ?
http://www.crucial.com/

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 12:18 PM
The Crucial scan pops up all their products in the 2133 and 2400 flavors.
Corsair just throws the Value select 2133 at me, 2x8GB kit.
Just to make sure we are clear, this is a complete replacement so it wont default to stock speeds due to the stock ram still being there, its going in the box. All 4 will be replaced. Did this on the G751, its stock speed was 1600 and its running 2133 all day long without a hitch. All I did was put it in, no changes to be made. It picked up on the SPD and adjusted the speed accordingly.

Stooo
01-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Should be able to handle the fastest. And if you order from Jet.com you can save close to 100 if you use a promo code. The order still gets filled be the egg too.

Just checked and it does not look like Jet.com has them anymore.

Jlieu
01-18-2016, 02:15 PM
I just got myself Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2400 CL14 32GB with 8GB each slot.

This is the best i can get for now in asia.

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I just got myself Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2400 CL14 32GB with 8GB each slot.

This is the best i can get for now in asia.

running at full speed?

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 04:13 PM
I checked Jet along the way, didnt see them listing any 260 pin DDR4 Sticks

Jlieu
01-18-2016, 05:07 PM
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX424S14IBK2_16.pdf

This is what i get.
still on the way, i was ordering online. will be testing it this weekend.

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Post up memory screenies from CPUID and bandwidth tests if you get a chance...
Im most likely going to go for the gold with the 64GB set of the 2800Mhz just to see if it works. Newegg is a good option for me as their main east coast distribution warehouse is a 20 minute ride from me and I can pick up at their will call and if it doesnt work RMA it the same way.

Jlieu
01-21-2016, 03:48 AM
Running at full speed! so there should be no problem for 3300 or higher if available.

JustinThyme
01-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Nice. That's one above stock. Highest I've seen so far if the 2800MHz. I have t pulled the trigger yet, going for the 2800MHz but can't make up my mind if 64GB is worth it or to just go with 32GB. I'm not going to be using a ram drive but more ram does equate to faster rendering for video and batch photo editing, two things that are the biggest reason I bought this rig in the first place.

Jlieu
01-21-2016, 06:35 AM
I think 32GB is far more than enough. still waiting for my another G752 from RMA, its been a week already.
2800MHZ is not available in asia country yet. else i will use that. Maybe next time for my another G752.

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 03:06 AM
I bit the bullet and went for broke with the 64GB 2800Mhz Gskill. Got notice From Newegg that its processed so the back order is cleared. Most likely wont see it until early on next week due to the blizzard moving in tomorrow night. Be too busy with snow removal anyhow!

kingjezdi
01-22-2016, 03:28 PM
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 SO-DIMM Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232171 - 4x 8GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232172 - 4x 16GB

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 05:17 PM
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 SO-DIMM Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232171 - 4x 8GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232172 - 4x 16GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820232172 - 4x 16GB
This is precisely what I ordered. Ill post up how it pans out when I get it and its installed.

Jlieu
01-23-2016, 02:04 AM
Oh man... The price for my Kingston 32GB DDR4 2400 are exactly the same with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400).

I don't wanna stay on this crapland anymore... I could have getting 2800!!!!
I just checked with newegg, shipping fee to my country will need another $199.. I'm giving up..

JustinThyme
01-23-2016, 06:32 AM
Ouch! Shipping for me was free! :p
Be here Wednesday.
$199 extra seems a bit steep no matter where you are. It's not like it's a 50kg box! I shipped a small parcel to Batam Indonesia not long ago by The postal service which took about 2 weeks for $30 with insurance.

JustinThyme
01-27-2016, 02:47 AM
Well I just had a fun filled several hours.
Memory kit came a day early. Saw on the tracking that it was out for delivery so I cracked my machine open as I was replacing all the sticks.
Install the 2 on the inside, boot up with things still loose and it reverts fast boot disabled in the bios. I change it back and shut down.
Install other 2 sticks restart and fast boot is disabled, set it to enabled again and save and exit, machine boots all 64GB showing up but its not at 2800Mhz its at 2400Mhz. Showed the same clocks everywhere. Showed correct SPD and JDEC values for a 1400Mhz clock speed but it was running at 1200. OK so I do the unthinkable and open up Intel XTU. It would let me run the multiplier up until I passed 2666Mhz then is ran the bus speed from 1.33 to 1. So I'm like OK and went with it and it then let me run the multiplier up to 28 for 2800Mhz. I saved and rebooted. BIG EFFIN MISTAKE! HUGE ONE! Bricked and would not restart. no BIOS reset trick in the book was going to work. Power LED and light bulb LED illuminated, that was it. Tried the CTL+Home+pwr button with BIOS loaded on USB, no dice. NADA. This machine is a ROYAL PITA to tear down but thats what it took. Complete tear down to get to the CMOS battery. Where they have it you cant even remove a few screws and lift up to get to it, Complete MOBO removal is required. Just FYI its located about a little better than halfway up from the front of the machine and about an inch in on the right side near the mini display port. To get the board out the fans have to come out before you can lift up and it has to come out lifting on the left side up first to get the audio jacks out of the hole. WHAT A BEAR THAT WAS! Display had to come off, everything. Just to get to the CMOS battery. If I ever go in again I'm going to extend the leads and place that batter in the drive bay!

Anyhow left battery disconnected for about 20 mins then plugged it back in and began reassembly. With everything back together it booted up again. OK all is not lost, I just cant go past 2400. Or so I thought. I go digging around just checking things out and it locks up hard. had to do a power button shut down. Did this several time then I start hearing bios type beeps that i never heard before. Next thing I know I'm looking at a gray screen and it flashed up something about requesting downgrade of something but the screen grayed out with a single white dot in the middle followed by a black screen. I saw HDD activity so I let it go for a bit. Another hard shutdown. So on reboot the BIOS is back to fast boot disabled again. So I proceed to the cheat to roll it back to 206..........NOPE not going anywhere. on reboot where you should get the bios flash screen I just rebooted. tried flashing from the BIOS, nope thats not working either. Tried the CTL+home+Pwr trick with bios renamed to bin and on a fat 32 usb drive. Nope wouldnt work either. Boot back up and it starts random restarts. Then an error to install the start up disk. I went to bios checked save and exited and it booted back up but shortly after shut back down again. Finally I took the keyboard off again and put the stock RAM back in. Booted right up, fast boot was enabled, flashed back to 206 with the cmd prompt trick and now that's where I sit, back where I started except at BIOS 206.

I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow, the keyboard is laying loose on the top yet. I'm just wiped for now. I did find it interesting all the issues it created, especially the BIOS problems that I didn't have before.

Jason you might want to rethink your RAM as a culprit. Ill report back tomorrow on how it works out. I'm going to try and install it on BIOS 206 and see where it takes me.

Otot
01-27-2016, 07:13 AM
I was thinking about to upgrade my RAM with higher frequencies too. And I read somewhere in this forum and on another site about bclk straps..
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5775/3/haswell-e-overklocking-workshop-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-the-core-i7-5960x-5930k-and-4820k-basic-knowledge-bclk-and-multipliers
What I've read is that you max have frequency of 2400 MHz with a bclk strip of 1 and a multiplier of 24x. Multipliers over 24x for higher frequencies than 2400 Mhz are bad. And I would understand "bad" as won't start or work. To get higher frequencies you have to set the bclk strap to 1.25 or higher to work with multipliers under 24x. Maybe this leads to your problem but I didn't try it. Hope I didn't write bull**** and it helps somehow:)

Greetings

JustinThyme
01-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Problem is the 6700HQ CPU is locked and now that Ive changed BIOS back to 206 the Intel MTU is showing those multipliers grayed out and memory functions are just plain gone!

In a Desktop environment I've seen people pass this easily, not happening on a laptop with a very basic BIOS that has no settings for memory or CPU. Im not going though pulling this thing completely apart again just to reset the CMOS.

So my conclusion is the MAX speed of memory on this platform is the one that no one voted for.......24000Mhz

Going to put the RAM back in now to see what happens with BIOS 206.

Devonkev
01-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Well I just had a fun filled several hours.
Memory kit came a day early. Saw on the tracking that it was out for delivery so I cracked my machine open as I was replacing all the sticks.
Install the 2 on the inside, boot up with things still loose and it reverts fast boot disabled in the bios. I change it back and shut down.
Install other 2 sticks restart and fast boot is disabled, set it to enabled again and save and exit, machine boots all 64GB showing up but its not at 2800Mhz its at 2400Mhz. Showed the same clocks everywhere. Showed correct SPD and JDEC values for a 1400Mhz clock speed but it was running at 1200. OK so I do the unthinkable and open up Intel XTU. It would let me run the multiplier up until I passed 2666Mhz then is ran the bus speed from 1.33 to 1. So I'm like OK and went with it and it then let me run the multiplier up to 28 for 2800Mhz. I saved and rebooted. BIG EFFIN MISTAKE! HUGE ONE! Bricked and would not restart. no BIOS reset trick in the book was going to work. Power LED and light bulb LED illuminated, that was it. Tried the CTL+Home+pwr button with BIOS loaded on USB, no dice. NADA. This machine is a ROYAL PITA to tear down but thats what it took. Complete tear down to get to the CMOS battery. Where they have it you cant even remove a few screws and lift up to get to it, Complete MOBO removal is required. Just FYI its located about a little better than halfway up from the front of the machine and about an inch in on the right side near the mini display port. To get the board out the fans have to come out before you can lift up and it has to come out lifting on the left side up first to get the audio jacks out of the hole. WHAT A BEAR THAT WAS! Display had to come off, everything. Just to get to the CMOS battery. If I ever go in again I'm going to extend the leads and place that batter in the drive bay!

Anyhow left battery disconnected for about 20 mins then plugged it back in and began reassembly. With everything back together it booted up again. OK all is not lost, I just cant go past 2400. Or so I thought. I go digging around just checking things out and it locks up hard. had to do a power button shut down. Did this several time then I start hearing bios type beeps that i never heard before. Next thing I know I'm looking at a gray screen and it flashed up something about requesting downgrade of something but the screen grayed out with a single white dot in the middle followed by a black screen. I saw HDD activity so I let it go for a bit. Another hard shutdown. So on reboot the BIOS is back to fast boot disabled again. So I proceed to the cheat to roll it back to 206..........NOPE not going anywhere. on reboot where you should get the bios flash screen I just rebooted. tried flashing from the BIOS, nope thats not working either. Tried the CTL+home+Pwr trick with bios renamed to bin and on a fat 32 usb drive. Nope wouldnt work either. Boot back up and it starts random restarts. Then an error to install the start up disk. I went to bios checked save and exited and it booted back up but shortly after shut back down again. Finally I took the keyboard off again and put the stock RAM back in. Booted right up, fast boot was enabled, flashed back to 206 with the cmd prompt trick and now that's where I sit, back where I started except at BIOS 206.

I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow, the keyboard is laying loose on the top yet. I'm just wiped for now. I did find it interesting all the issues it created, especially the BIOS problems that I didn't have before.

Jason you might want to rethink your RAM as a culprit. Ill report back tomorrow on how it works out. I'm going to try and install it on BIOS 206 and see where it takes me.
Wow I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in your house, with Mrs JustinThyme looking at a brand new couple of thousand dollar laptop in pieces on the floor. Bet the local florist has made a few quid :D

MrRuckus
01-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Wow. Nice little stressful adventure for you. heh. Glad to hear you and the laptop made it out ok.

If you got 2400, you're still over stock. Looks like that chip accoring to Intel, supports up to 2133: http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

On a side note, How were you able to manipulate settings in XTU? Did the new ram open up options that were not their previously? I was a little irked when I found out that adjusting the multipliers were not allowed on the 6700HQ when I could on my G750 with the 4700HQ.

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 01:27 AM
For the XTU I'll just call it an anomaly. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Both the CPU and memory was available for overclocking. It actually showed the memory bus already at 133Mhz the slider had two positions, 133 and 100, wouldnt do anything in between then you could change the multipler anywhere you wanted like it was fully functional. I ran it up to 28 multipler at 100Mhz which would have been right where it should be for the memory.

Then the ensuing story of doom. Needless to day there were some rather colorful metaphors flying around that only intensified when I tried every trick in the book to recover and nothing worked. I had to walk away from it for a little while before breaking out the ES mat and tools and go busy with tearing it down. Its a PITA! Monitor and all has to come off. The only thing I didn't have to take out was the SD card reader! Pulled the CMOS battery and took my 120lb lab for a walk and lit a nice full bodied stogie while I was at it. Came back an put it all back toegther and had to mess around a little to get it back up and found to get back to 206 I had to put the stock memory back in.

Either way after the fiasco with the bricked machine When I got it back up XTU no longer shows the ability to do anything! CPU multipliers are grayed out and the entire memory category is just plain gone!

In the meantime I found one of the RAM modules was crap on top of that. Work fine for awhile then out of nowhere I get two beep, not through the speakers, like a desktop BIOS beep. Not at all happy. Another day moving memory sticks around and running MEMTEST86 to find that problem. So I just put the stock memory back in and opened an RMA for the memory kit. Just going to do a refund and digest all of this for awhile before I jump in with it again. My just leave it as is with the 32GB of 2133Mhz and wait awhile until those sticks start popping up on fleabay from the PC cannabals and snag two more of the stock just to make it easy. That or go with 2400Mhz instead as its not getting past that no matter what is done on a laptop. Could push a desktop and tweak CPU and MEM to where they play nice but no such BIOS here. All you have is XTU that doesnt work either LOL. Im certainly in no hurry to pull it all the way down again. Had the been a desk top just yank the side cover, reach in, move a jumper, hit the pwr button, move jumper back, done. If I had the stuff around I would have extended the CMOS battery where you can get to it in the service access area just so a tear down like that isnt necessary.

Yeah Devonkev it wasnt pretty. Especially when the wifey walked in knowing what I paid for this machine and it was scattered all over the table in a million pieces and I had to listed to her satire for awhile. She never says anything about what I choose to spend money on, she knew I was less than thrilled with the situation and chose to capitalize on the moment! LOL. We have an agreement on that, We both earn a good living and have 3 bank accounts, Hers, Mine and ours. We both contribute the the "Ours" account to pay the bills and put groceries on the table and its adjusted where she put more in it than I do because I foot the health and life insurance as well as retirement and college funds. Anyhow, in the end there is her money, my money and out money. I don't tell her how to spend hers and she doesn't tell me how to spend mine.

Otot
01-29-2016, 11:24 AM
In the meantime I found one of the RAM modules was crap on top of that. Work fine for awhile then out of nowhere I get two beep, not through the speakers, like a desktop BIOS beep.

I can hear exactly the same two beeps! Indicate these beeps a problem with the RAM or something else (too)? The notebook works fine beside the same problem like Jlieu have, slow boot without ac plugged in.

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 03:20 PM
I put the stock RAM back in, two beeps stopped.

Otot
01-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I have the two beeps with stock RAM (Samsung), checked the RAM with memtest86 5 1/2 hours yet with no failures. Could be there another problem or should I leave it because RAM is ok?

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Might want to open a ticket with support to see or wait and see if anyone else has noted beeping. There is not a set beep code for these laptops that I have been able to find. Pretty much every desktop has different beep codes dependent on the BIOS they are running. I only noted it because there were no beeps until I put different RAM in then got the two beeps which on several platforms means parity error which simply means that a recalled bit is different that what was stored. Sometimes EMI can do that or bad ram timings which we have no control over on this platform. It runs off the SPD. What region are you in to get Samsung memory? I got 2x Hynix 16GB 2133Mhz sticks.

Otot
01-29-2016, 10:47 PM
... two beeps which on several platforms means parity error...
I read the same, tomorrow I contact my distributor for a exchange or maybe RMA if these beeps are not normal.

What region are you in to get Samsung memory? I got 2x Hynix 16GB 2133Mhz sticks.
I am from germany. Payed too much to be satisfied with these beeps.

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 11:41 PM
Yeah I would not be satisfied either.

Otot
02-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I have to ask again, get somebody else two short beeps on booting before ROG Logo appears? Is it normal to get beeps or no beeps when booting?

Greetings

JustinThyme
02-04-2016, 08:49 PM
I don't but I wouldn't be overly concerned with post beeps. Mine were happening with the OS up and running.

pigulici
02-04-2016, 09:18 PM
So I just get 2x 8GB Corsair(2133MHz, CL15, CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15), put in it, my g752vy come only with 1x8GB, and after add those 2, puff, like others, my laptop now start in more than 30s, with only the original stick, 6-8s, so I will return the Corsair for now, but I think the bios it is not mature in all g752V...

JustinThyme
02-05-2016, 04:28 AM
I had the same issues with 208. Ran like a champ with no problems until I changed memory then started the problems. I couldn't even roll back the BIOS with the Gskill sticks installed. Put old sticks back and problems disappeared. I did roll it back to 206 then put the new memory back in and had other problems with them so sent them back. I'm just going to stay with the stock set up until a new BIOS is released.

pigulici
02-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Yes, this is my plan too, until new bios, stay with stock ram, maybe at the time machines was tested, were few sodimm ddr4 on market , to make tests, that is one of pain when you get the newest hardware on market...

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 01:56 AM
OK what we found out here is 2400 is the ceiling, not going any faster. 2800MHz installed and picked up by SPD but multiplier set to 24 automatically and cannot be changed. I sent the 2800 back as one of them had issues and contemplated for awhile on my next move. First thought was to go for the 2400Mhz seeing how thats the ceiling but I got to thinking about it and 2400 is not much of a gain over the stock 2133. Add to that of having to crack open the replacement I got that hasnt been opened up and I canned that Idea. Just not worth it. What I decided to do was just add to what is already there and max it out at 64GB of RAM. Didnt want to risk too many variables with aftermarket stuff and the SK Hynix that comes stock in these is pretty much impossible to find. What I did find is OEM Samsung sticks that the 8GB versions I know are used in some ASUS models. So I located 16GB sticks with identical timings for $86/stick and put them in. Works like a charm with the stock SK Hynix still in slots 1 and 3 and Sansung in 2 and 4. Cut the memory upgrade cost in half that went towards a second 950 pro to complete a raid 0 array.

Jon G
04-04-2016, 02:57 AM
This thread is not only informative but highly amusing Justin. I'm keeping the stock 64GB DDR4-2133 MHz
that came w/ my G752VY-DH78K. It doesn't seem worth the hassle to purchase 4x 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz
SODIMMs, tear down the entire beast for such an incremental performance boast if any.
Getting off this G752VY max memory frequency supported topic here, but instead of jumping in and
upgrading my G752VYs' 2x 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD's to 2x retail 512GB Samsung 950 Pro's
I may hold out until later in the year.
I'd rather purchase 2x 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD's with whatever name Samsung calls them in either
OEM or retail versions.
Late summer, or early fall 2016 Samsung announced their coming out w/ (2) new OEM PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD's
to ship in new PC's 2nd half of 2016 called the SM961 & PM961. They will both be offered in
128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB Capacities. They both use 3D/V-NAND memory and Samsungs' latest Polaris Controller.
The SM961 reportedly reaches up to 3,200MB/s on sequential Read & 1,800MB/s sequential Write, as well offers
increased Random Read up to 450K IOPS (QD32) , Random Write up to 400K IOPS (QD32).
I'm sure the 1TB of this puppy will come w/ a steep price tag esp. considering its' OEM only.
2x 1TB SM961's in RAID0 might saturate the PCIe 3.0's max 3.94GB/s on the READ. Might not need to use the
G752VYs' RAID 0 anymore!
The PM961 is the lower performing of the two. It offers up to 3,000 MB/s Read, but only up to 1,150MB/s Write,
Random Read up to 360K IOPS(QD32) , Random Write up to 280K IOPS (QD32).
Future upgrades to look forward too, especially if the 950 Pro or next Retail variant gets the Polaris Controller
to increase its' performance similar to this SM961 along w/ 1TB capacity.

JustinThyme
04-04-2016, 04:02 AM
If the speeds get up that high the raid will in fact be useless. 3500MBPS is the max on the bus. I'm set with the two 512 950 pros and 1TB 850 EVO.
Yeah the conclusion I came to with 2400 maxing out and everything locked where you can't OC the memory or CPU left me at just accepting the 2133. A change from 1066 memory clock and 1200 isn't substantial enough to justify the price tag to do it. I went for broke and CHOKED! LOL

fixxi.net
06-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Does anyone know if g752vt can accommodate two Crucial 16GB 2400 modules in addition to the notebook's existing two 8GB 2133 MHz modules .. I don't mind them running at the lower speed of 2133 Mhz, I just need to know if they will work..

I am wary because an amazon customer has reported that said Crucial 32 GB kit (2x16) CT2K16G4SFD824A did not post at all on a similar notebook - the GL752VW

amazon review:

Tried the ram in an Asus ROG GL752VW laptop and it failed to post. Shame as I'll now fall back onto the slower speed ram. I wouldn't blame the ram, at all, but obviously check if your model supports faster speeds. 5 stars as it's not the ram at fault.

fixxi.net
06-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Problem is the 6700HQ CPU is locked and now that Ive changed BIOS back to 206 the Intel MTU is showing those multipliers grayed out and memory functions are just plain gone!

In a Desktop environment I've seen people pass this easily, not happening on a laptop with a very basic BIOS that has no settings for memory or CPU. Im not going though pulling this thing completely apart again just to reset the CMOS.

So my conclusion is the MAX speed of memory on this platform is the one that no one voted for.......24000Mhz

Going to put the RAM back in now to see what happens with BIOS 206.

Hey man, did you confirm you can mix 2400 MHZ memory with the g752's stock 2133 MHZ ?

0neWinged
06-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Hey man, did you confirm you can mix 2400 MHZ memory with the g752's stock 2133 MHZ ?

I'm pretty sure you can. Only thing is the system settings will most likely auto lower your 2400MHZ memory to match the 2133 Memory. If you run the 2400MHZ memory in a different channel, then manually change the frequency you should be ok and it should work.. If you want 2400MHZ that is

JustinThyme
06-07-2016, 01:44 PM
I did not confirm that but will give you a bit of advice. Other than the very small margin of failed memory sticks the single biggest issue is created by mixing sticks of different speeds and different timings. Why don't you either buy all 2400 or two 2133 sticks to match whats in there?
Personally speaking I would not recommend the cheap crucial products to my worst enemy. Stick with Gskill, Samsung or even the OEM Hynex which is still Samsung made in a different place.

fixxi.net
06-07-2016, 10:28 PM
I did not confirm that but will give you a bit of advice. Other than the very small margin of failed memory sticks the single biggest issue is created by mixing sticks of different speeds and different timings. Why don't you either buy all 2400 or two 2133 sticks to match whats in there?
Personally speaking I would not recommend the cheap crucial products to my worst enemy. Stick with Gskill, Samsung or even the OEM Hynex which is still Samsung made in a different place.

2400 is better investment... and it should work with 2133 .. but that guy on amazon said it didnt work at all on his gl752

JustinThyme
06-08-2016, 03:14 AM
How is it a better investment?
The only reason to even entertain PC2400 is if you are going to replace all the sticks with 2400.

While Memory settings will always default to the speed and timings of the slowest stick there is no guarantee that any particular stick will work with timings other that those for which they were designed. The failure to work at speeds other than whats listed on the packaging increases exponentially with economy brand memory. Crucial is now and always has been bottom of the heap. You are lucky to get their products to work as advertised let alone with different settings.
If you are so convinced that its better then by all means buy it and plug it in. One thing to keep in mind is there is a significant delay when you put in new memory sticks while SPD does its thing and BIOS configures so dont jump the gun on resetting. Give it a few minutes first then if it does not boot remove the new sticks and return them.

fixxi.net
06-08-2016, 09:15 AM
How is it a better investment?
The only reason to even entertain PC2400 is if you are going to replace all the sticks with 2400.

While Memory settings will always default to the speed and timings of the slowest stick there is no guarantee that any particular stick will work with timings other that those for which they were designed. The failure to work at speeds other than whats listed on the packaging increases exponentially with economy brand memory. Crucial is now and always has been bottom of the heap. You are lucky to get their products to work as advertised let alone with different settings.
If you are so convinced that its better then by all means buy it and plug it in. One thing to keep in mind is there is a significant delay when you put in new memory sticks while SPD does its thing and BIOS configures so dont jump the gun on resetting. Give it a few minutes first then if it does not boot remove the new sticks and return them.

Well I have had a crucial SSD and that has worked just fine.. moreover I have never seen a memory fail ... I will buy again crucial and not agreeing that it is a bad memory ..

The guy at crucial himself could not confirm compatibility when mixing their memory with other speeds/brands ..

Anyway thanks very much for the input.

JustinThyme
06-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Like I was saying, your choice, just know going in that you will most likely have issues mixing. If I had two choices with this particular memory. One to mix or two to replace all the sticks, I would do just that.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-M500-240GB/2977vs1551

And the Samsung is cheaper.

Now if you want to really kick it up and pay a little more

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Crucial-M500-240GB/2385vs1551

mbuccarello
06-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I need to upgrade my laptop from 16gb to 64gb what is the best way to do that without problems with BIOS and so on?

Thanks!

JustinThyme
06-10-2016, 03:31 PM
First you are going to have to crack it open to get to the slots that are not in the user serviceable area. You will need 4 16GB sticks 2133 or 2400 but they need to be the same.
I can confirm

Gskill ripjaws
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232162

The stock Hynix mixed with its Samsung countrerpart as the stock memory is impossible to find.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M471A2K43BB1-CPB-DDR4-2133-SO-DIMM-Memory/dp/B01A1EH50M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465572573&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+M471A2K43BB1-CPB

Chances are if you have 16 GB you have 2x 8GB sticks that will have to be replaced.

Gustave
06-10-2016, 04:33 PM
I bought my 2 16GB Samsung DDR4 SO-DIMMS in the German shop of this company (https://www.sparepartworld.com/notebook-spareparts/asus/notebook-g-serie/g752vy-1a/ram-1). Like Justin says, you'd probably need four.

Aida64 value of the SO-DIMM

Field Value
Memory Module Properties
Module Name Samsung M471A2K43BB1-CPB
Serial Number 98******h (41*******2)
Manufacture Date Week 1 / 2016
Module Size 16 GB (2 ranks, 16 banks)
Module Type SO-DIMM
Memory Type DDR4 SDRAM
Memory Speed DDR4-2133 (1066 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage 1.2 V
Error Detection Method None
DRAM Manufacturer Samsung
DRAM Stepping 00h
SDRAM Die Count 1

Memory Timings
@ 1066 MHz 16-15-15-36 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 50-374-278-171-6-4-6-23 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 1066 MHz 15-15-15-36 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 50-374-278-171-6-4-6-23 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 1018 MHz 14-14-14-34 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 48-357-265-163-6-4-6-22 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 945 MHz 13-13-13-32 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 45-331-246-152-6-4-6-20 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 872 MHz 12-12-12-29 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 41-306-227-140-5-4-5-19 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 800 MHz 11-11-11-27 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 38-280-208-128-5-3-5-17 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
@ 727 MHz 10-10-10-24 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 34-255-190-117-4-3-5-16 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)

Memory Module Features
Monolithic DRAM Device Yes
Thermal Sensor Not Present

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Samsung
Product Information http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor