PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my G73JH Second HDD (120gb SSD used for boot/OS files)?

HallisterM3
01-18-2016, 08:49 AM
G73JH owner here, I have a 120gb SSD I use for boot/OS files. For the secondary slot I wanted to use something a bit faster than what was given to us stock. I've attached a photo of a read/write benchmark. The benchmark pictured below shows the current hard drive speeds in there (not SSD). I just mainly wanted to throw a 1tb SSHD on it, but is it worth it?

Please let me know! I know the biggest difference will be if I get a much larger SSD, but a 1TB SSD is out of the question for now. 54854

JustinThyme
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
An SSHD will certainly be faster with a very large cache. Whether or not its worth it is a matter of preference. You will probably get about 50% increase over what you have posted to 150MBps but dont be expecting anything near what you get with SATA III SSD that should be in the 500MBps range. Once you get spoiled on SSD speeds everything else just seems completely inadequate.

If it was me I would bite the bullet and put the largest SSD in there that I could afford.

The Cool Dude
01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
I agree with JustinThyme. SSD Performance on my G73JH breathes new life into it and I can't go back.

I also upgraded my wireless card to the Intel Wireless AC 7260 card with Bluetooth 4.0. This is a very inexpensive upgrade that really helps. Keep in mind that the G73JH has built in Bluetooth module that you will need to disconnect. It's just a small plug but you will need to open the entire laptop up to find it. If memory serves me, when you have the entire bottom of the laptop off, it was on the lower right corner. The PCB is labeled with the word Bluetooth so it's not hard to find.

Good luck!