PDA

View Full Version : [Problem] G74sx Dual Monitor Nvidia Inspector Issue.

ek93922
12-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I have a problem that i tried googling for hours but could not find an answer to yet.
I don't know too much about computers; therefore it'd be nice if you could break everything down for me :D
Sorry if there is any confusion in understanding this. English is not my primary language... :)

I recently bought a G74sx with a VH232H screen from Asus.
(Driver of GTX 560m: 290.53)

The idle temperature of the G74sx's GPU before connecting the external monitor was at around 30C, which i found was pretty normal.
However, when i connected the external monitor to the G74sx via HDMI, i have noticed that the idle temperature of the GPU spiked to 40C. (Fan became noticeably louder)
To fix this problem, after hours of googling, i downloaded Nvidia Inspector. There i turned on "Start Multi Display Power Saver," checked GTX 560M as my Target GPU, and started to add application to the P8 (Video) section (ex. chrome.exe)
Since that configuration, my GPU temperature stayed 30C at idle.

BUT here is where a problem started to come up, in which that i cannot solve.
Whenever I open up a youtube video (or any type of video files in general), my main monitor would flicker once (like when you alt-tab from a full screened game), and when i change the page the flicker happens again.
Then I tried removing chrome.exe from the P8(Video) section.
Luckily the flicker stopped when openning/closing youtube videos but i can no longer watch the videos at 720p and 1080p at a constant framerate.

I would like to keep the low GPU temperature (30C) while maintaining my external monitor running without flickering my screen whenever i open/close video files...

Are there any solutions to my problem?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: [And is that flickering in any way harm the pc/gpu?

wanfeilwong
12-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe that adding an external monitor would increase the load on the gpu, thus increasing temp due to the added real estate. 40c imo is still considered really cool. It's not until you go past 70c till you start worrying.(Don't quote me on that)

Anyhow I suggest turn off or uninstall that power saving feature because that's what's causing the problem. Lower signal output from your gpu is probably causing your flicker woes.

ek93922
12-24-2011, 10:54 PM
but is it safe to have the GPU run at 40C at all times?

ek93922
12-25-2011, 10:27 PM
i hate to do any double posting but i would really like this thing to be solved so i guess i'll have to double post to bump this post...

clinthill98
12-26-2011, 01:55 AM
thats nothing its fine danger zone is probably close to 90C