PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Bios Mod!!! Unlock Overclock Update Tweak!!!

ModJPB
01-23-2016, 08:52 PM
G46VW Modded Bios
Unlocked - Overclocked - Updated

A modded bios with firmware updates, unlocked hidden settings, and enabled performance features unavailable before.
Thank you to those who helped with the mods! Doink (https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8614-asus-n53sn-unlocked-hidden-bios-features-successfully/), Dreamonic (http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/4/), Fernando & SonicX (http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html)

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your laptop. Heat and power could go beyond design causing damage. Many unlocked settings, when changed, can cause your system to not boot. BIOS reset jumper does not work nor does flashback feature. If new setting prevents system start, you will need an external programmer or solder a new programmed BIOS chip. Some unlocked settings don't seem to have an affect when changed.

---> Download: G46VW Mod BIOS v5 4/14/18 Beta <--- (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yXvoKwlIbQ7IHjOTEdcOQvNG4Kvq9PZK/view?usp=sharing)

G46VW Bios210 Base:

UNLOCKED Chipset menu and hidden options for CPU and memory overclocking and adjustable timings.

Overclock CPU Boost Multipliers

37xxQM series and higher - Upto 4 multipliers

K series - Unlimited

GTX660m VBIOS: Disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, then enable CSM.

Overclock Limit - raised +405
Overvolt- Adjustable upto 1.20V (PrecisionX, Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner (Instruction) (http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/20/)

Updated:

Atheros Ethernet: 2.0.2.6/2.1.1.1 ---> 2.0.6.6/2.1.1.5

Intel Raid/SATA: 11.6.0.1702 ---> 15.1.0.2545

Intel VBIOS: 2137 ---> 2171

Intel GOP IvyBridge: 3.0.1023 ---> 3.0.1030

Intel CPU Microcode

IvyBridge: 15 ---> 1F

SandyBridge: 28 ---> 2D

Intel ME: 8.1.10.1286 ---> 8.1.70.1590 (Run METool.exe to update)

Miscellaneous

New Static Boot Splash Images
BIOS defaults changed for performance and compatibility Win8/8.1/10 (Choose 'Restore Defaults' in BIOS)
Fix for keyboard backlights not working. (Read 'Read Me' in fixmykb folder)

Changelog v4 ---> v5:

Updated Sata firmware, CPU Microcodes, & ME Firmware - Updates are Intel's security fixes.

Known Bug - GTX660m VBIOS - battery profile voltage stuck at 3D profile.

Procedure:

1) Download and extract to empty folder above download.
2) Run flash.bat (flash will start immediately. Mouse and keyboard will be unresponsive until done.)
3) Shutdown, wait several seconds, power on

System Specifications G46VW: I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
GTX660m @1250MHz 1.5V/2800MHz
Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz Cl8 8Gb (2x4GB)
SSD Samsung 840 Evo msata 256Gb
HD+ Screen 1600x900
Killer 1202 Wireless NIC

ModJPB
01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Reserved for Q&A:

Please send Feedback. If Any questions please ask before assuming. If anything is unclear please let me know.

InfernoStorm
01-25-2016, 05:59 AM
This is awesome, an older laptop with ability to overclock. Great stuff! :)

rcarlos243
02-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Your BIOS listed it can overclock QM up to 4 more multiplier, does that mean it is also possible to overclock with Core i7 3610QM? I have heard only Core i7 37xxQM and higher can be overclocked.

Also is the VBIOS Mod already integrated into your modded BIOS on filedropper link?
Does the GTX 660m VBIOS Mod fix the 540Mhz clockspeed Bug?

eightrac
02-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Hello,

I've recently installed your BIOS to my G46VW. Thsi is not the first modified BIOS that has been installed on this laptop, as I have had "KLEM'S" BIOS installed previous to this one. I have a couple of questions.

1. Klem's BIOS sets the base clock of the GPU to 1110. This was perfectly stable on my G46, but I was under the assumption that this BIOS (yours) would give me different functions. Your BIOS has the base clock set at 895, with turbo being 986. While this is fine, I wish to increase it via BIOS to the 1110 it had before, but without using software such as nVidiaInspector or Afterburner. If this is possible, what settings do I have to change to attain this clock? I cannot find anything concerning the GPU in the BIOS. So, far I have found that with your BIOS, I cannot exceed +130 on the GPU OC without a driver failure, or exceed 2700 on GPU memory without the same result. With Klem's BIOS I was able to achieve 1350mhz and 2900mhz ram (using a combination of the increased base clock in Klem's BIOS, and nVidiaInspector) and it was stable.

2. You also state that "QM" processors can be overclocked a bit. Would you care to elaborate on how this is done? Again, I cannot find where the FSB or multiplier settings are in the BIOS you have created.

3. Lastly, I have changed nearly every setting for the fan settings available (or that I can locate) within the bios so that it may attempt to manage a lower temperature. No matter what I change, the target remains 91C. It will not run the fans 100% until then. I have it set for 100% at 70C, but it will only run them at 50% until it hits 91C.

EDIT: To elaborate some, I have extensively modified my G46 with the following items and am saking these questions so that I may further optimize the items I have integrated into my system:

1. 1920 x 1080 120Hz monitor
2. i7-3630QM (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)
3. 16GB Corsair 1600 RAM (2x8GB)
4. BIOS mod (Klem's then yours)
5. Debloated Windows 10
6. Intel 7260AC ac/b/g/n wireless card
7. Crucial M4 128Gb MSATA SSD
8. Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD
9. GPU (GTX 660M) currently running at 1246Mhz/2700Mhz (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)

ModJPB
02-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Your BIOS listed it can overclock QM up to 4 more multiplier, does that mean it is also possible to overclock with Core i7 3610QM? I have heard only Core i7 37xxQM and higher can be overclocked.

Also is the VBIOS Mod already integrated into your modded BIOS on filedropper link?
Does the GTX 660m VBIOS Mod fix the 540Mhz clockspeed Bug?

Hi,
Sorry, I should be more detailed yes the +4 multiplier is for 37xxqm and higher. This setting is set in the Intel ME firmware, which unfortunately ASUS has denied any access to.

Yes the VBIOS is already integrated into the BIOS. The only thing that is not integrated is the Intel ME firmware update, which must be done as a seperate install after you update the main bios and reboot.

To enable all features of the VBIOS please disable "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" and then go back into the bios and make sure "CSM" is enabled

I am unaware of the 540Mhz clockspeed bug. Can you please explain more about it.

Thanks.

ModJPB
02-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Hello,

I've recently installed your BIOS to my G46VW. Thsi is not the first modified BIOS that has been installed on this laptop, as I have had "KLEM'S" BIOS installed previous to this one. I have a couple of questions.

1. Klem's BIOS sets the base clock of the GPU to 1110. This was perfectly stable on my G46, but I was under the assumption that this BIOS (yours) would give me different functions. Your BIOS has the base clock set at 895, with turbo being 986. While this is fine, I wish to increase it via BIOS to the 1110 it had before, but without using software such as nVidiaInspector or Afterburner. If this is possible, what settings do I have to change to attain this clock? I cannot find anything concerning the GPU in the BIOS. So, far I have found that with your BIOS, I cannot exceed +130 on the GPU OC without a driver failure, or exceed 2700 on GPU memory without the same result. With Klem's BIOS I was able to achieve 1350mhz and 2900mhz ram (using a combination of the increased base clock in Klem's BIOS, and nVidiaInspector) and it was stable.

2. You also state that "QM" processors can be overclocked a bit. Would you care to elaborate on how this is done? Again, I cannot find where the FSB or multiplier settings are in the BIOS you have created.

3. Lastly, I have changed nearly every setting for the fan settings available (or that I can locate) within the bios so that it may attempt to manage a lower temperature. No matter what I change, the target remains 91C. It will not run the fans 100% until then. I have it set for 100% at 70C, but it will only run them at 50% until it hits 91C.

EDIT: To elaborate some, I have extensively modified my G46 with the following items and am saking these questions so that I may further optimize the items I have integrated into my system:

1. 1920 x 1080 120Hz monitor
2. i7-3630QM (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)
3. 16GB Corsair 1600 RAM (2x8GB)
4. BIOS mod (Klem's then yours)
5. Debloated Windows 10
6. Intel 7260AC ac/b/g/n wireless card
7. Crucial M4 128Gb MSATA SSD
8. Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD
9. GPU (GTX 660M) currently running at 1246Mhz/2700Mhz (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)

1. Nvidia GPU settings can only be changed by software or modifying the module. I will be updating the VBIOS soon so hopefully this fixes any issues. I will possibly make two sets of bios downloads, one with a more stockish OC and the other to something you are looking for with a 1100MHZ boot OC for the GPU.

EDIT: To enable full features of VBIOS, Please make sure Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled and then enable CSM

2. CPU overclock is done in the "Advanced" ---> "CPU Configuration" ---> "1,2,3,4-Core Ratio Limit" (I have mine set to 40,39,38,38). You will also need to raise the current flow to the CPU to prevent premature throttling. "Advanced" ---> "CPU PPM Configuration" ---> Long Duration Power Limit 85, Long Duration Maintained 120, and Short Duration Power Limit 120.

3. Fans "Advanced" ---> "Thermal Configuration" ---> "Plaform Thermal Configuration" ---> "Active Trip Point 0" This only affects the CPU fan. The GPU fan can only be done by a hardware mod. I.E. running the wire to another power source.

rcarlos243
02-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Hi,
Sorry, I should be more detailed yes the +4 multiplier is for 37xxqm and higher. This setting is set in the Intel ME firmware, which unfortunately ASUS has denied any access to.

Yes the VBIOS is already integrated into the BIOS. The only thing that is not integrated is the Intel ME firmware update, which must be done as a seperate install after you update the main bios and reboot.

To enable all features of the VBIOS please disable "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" and then go back into the bios and make sure "CSM" is enabled

I am unaware of the 540Mhz clockspeed bug. Can you please explain more about it.

Thanks.

The GPU Clock speed bug is actually 405Mhz GPU Core.

Sometimes if you try to play a game the GPU Core clock will be only run at 405Mhz (with A/C plugged in).

The games i tried are Cities Skylines and Dota 2.

You can find alot of people having the same issue. Just google "GTX 660m 405Mhz"

I believe the dGPU for some reason is getting stuck in P states and I heard someone mention a fix (here) (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/660m-overclocking-boosting.675756/page-3#post-8700344), but I haven't tried it yet.

eightrac
02-22-2016, 12:47 AM
1. Nvidia GPU settings can only be changed by software or modifying the module. I will be updating the VBIOS soon so hopefully this fixes any issues. I will possibly make two sets of bios downloads, one with a more stockish OC and the other to something you are looking for with a 1100MHZ boot OC for the GPU.

EDIT: To enable full features of VBIOS, Please make sure Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled and then enable CSM

2. CPU overclock is done in the "Advanced" ---> "CPU Configuration" ---> "1,2,3,4-Core Ratio Limit" (I have mine set to 40,39,38,38). You will also need to raise the current flow to the CPU to prevent premature throttling. "Advanced" ---> "CPU PPM Configuration" ---> Long Duration Power Limit 85, Long Duration Maintained 120, and Short Duration Power Limit 120.

3. Fans "Advanced" ---> "Thermal Configuration" ---> "Plaform Thermal Configuration" ---> "Active Trip Point 0" This only affects the CPU fan. The GPU fan can only be done by a hardware mod. I.E. running the wire to another power source.

I can confirm some things for people who are interested.

1. CPU overclock does not work on QM processors. I've gone up to 5 steps in the core ratio limit and it has no change. I'm using a i7-3630QM.

2. Fan trip points also do not work. I've changed it to ambient temperature and they still follow the stock temp management scheme.

ModJPB
02-23-2016, 02:41 AM
I can confirm some things for people who are interested.

1. CPU overclock does not work on QM processors. I've gone up to 5 steps in the core ratio limit and it has no change. I'm using a i7-3630QM.

2. Fan trip points also do not work. I've changed it to ambient temperature and they still follow the stock temp management scheme.

1) Unfortunately the 3630QM processor is locked by intel and cannot be overclocked. The 3740QM and higher QM processors can have their boost multipliers raised by +4 multipliers. I have a 3840QM installed happily running +3 multiplier boost with the RAM at 1866MHz Cl8. ASUS has locked thier ME descriptor region so even a BCLK overclock is impossible unless an external programmer strapped to the BIOS chip itself is used.

2) You are correct about the fan. I guess I had some pseudo reaction to these settings. The fan control is built into the EC and cannot be adjusted (software). The settings on the Thermal page have no affect. :(

Update V4: Currently comparing three different VBIOS to see what works best. Hopefully it will be posted soon.

eightrac
02-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Meh.

Darkthor
02-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Great job mate...now get on the g75vw ! :))

rcarlos243
02-28-2016, 09:46 AM
WARNING: There is no BIOS reset jumper. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start, then laptop is bricked.

If system doesn't start you could fix the laptop.

-You just need a USB flash drive.
-latest stock BIOS.

1. format the USB to FAT32
2. extract the BIOS and save it on USB
3. Rename the file to G46VW.BIN
4. Plug the USB flash drive to Asus G46VW.
5. press and hold both CTRL and Home
6. Power On the laptop while holding the buttons on step 5.

This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the G46VW.BIN file in USB flash drive.

You could also possible do a hard CMOS reset by removing the RAM sticks and there should be solder points labeled "JRST2001 and JRST2002".

ModJPB
03-02-2016, 03:42 AM
WARNING: There is no BIOS reset jumper. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start, then laptop is bricked.

If system doesn't start you could fix the laptop.

-You just need a USB flash drive.
-latest stock BIOS.

1. format the USB to FAT32
2. extract the BIOS and save it on USB
3. Rename the file to G46VW.BIN
4. Plug the USB flash drive to Asus G46VW.
5. press and hold both CTRL and Home
6. Power On the laptop while holding the buttons on step 5.

This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the G46VW.BIN file in USB flash drive.

You could also possible do a hard CMOS reset by removing the RAM sticks and there should be solder points labeled "JRST2001 and JRST2002".

I have tried both of those tips in the past and neither ever worked for me. If you tried them and it actually worked let us know because maybe there is a missing step. The only thing that has worked for me when I changed a setting that prevented startup was to order a programmed bios chip and resolder it to the motherboard.

ModJPB
03-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Great job mate...now get on the g75vw ! :))

I wish I had the time, also I would hate to send something out that I could not test. If you follow the links in my first post they will lead you to the information needed to mod a G75 bios too, if you are feeling brave. It is a time consuming process but not very difficult.

eightrac
03-02-2016, 07:40 AM
After a few days on v4, I can tell you, this thing screams now.

I have managed to get 1300 Mhz/3000 Mhz @ +87.5mV stable with temps not exceeding 86C under 100% load.

During testing with 3DMark (Sky Diver) the result with the newest "v4" bios with canned 950 Mhz/ 1250 Mhz was 6245.

I was able to achieve a steady value of 8277, and once at 9008. I believe this difference to be attributed to a voltage droop from the stock PSU. I also believe this correctable with a PSU with a higher wattage rating.

rcarlos243
03-07-2016, 12:36 AM
I tried it and it works.

I was messing with the BIOS setting and turned off the iGPU then I got no display.

removing battery and cmos did not reset the BIOS setting so I have to initiate the Crisis BIOS recovery.

-the USB must be formatted in FAT32
-the BIOS filename must be G46VW.BIN
press and hold both CTRL and HOME and press power on screen will turn on after about 5-10sec.

I have also heard it might help if you also save the G46VW.BIN on C: root directory

ModJPB
03-07-2016, 07:01 PM
RCarlos243,
I did the same thing about a year ago and had to blindly get into the BIOS and choose default settings and then save and restart.

To do the Blind method follow the procedure exactly and do it slowly (This is using my BIOS)

Hold the power button until the system turns off.
Press the power button and immediately hold down the F2 button for about 10secs (to ensure you are in the bios)
Tap right arrow 5 times
Tap down arrow 4 times
Tap ENTER 2 times
Tap up arrow 4 times
Tap Enter 2 times
System should reboot and several seconds later you should see the boot screen.

If you are using any other bios besides mine then in step 3 you would hit the right arrow 4 times instead of 5.

You can also try plugging in the laptop using HDMI or the VGA port and see if you can get display to show up through there.

St0rmik
06-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Good job man. I tried this bios. but i still dont understand why wake on lan didnt work?

Zanoello
07-11-2016, 08:53 PM
I tested your BIOS and I have no words to describe how amazing it is !
All I can do is thank you for the fantastic work!

ModJPB
07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
I am happy others are finding this useful, I was afraid I was to late as many people probably already upgraded to new laptops by now.

Good job man. I tried this bios. but i still dont understand why wake on lan didnt work?

Have you tried reinstalling the network drivers? Since the OpROM was updated it may have confused the drivers. It may also be to change the 'Boot PXE OpROM' to enable may help. either way let me know what happens and I can test/ change some things.

atommorph
11-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any feedback regarding how they made out when using this bios? I have one of the older G46VW models with the i5-3230m in it.

xitriigeolog
01-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Is it possible to disable the discrete graphics card?

ModJPB
03-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Is it possible to disable the discrete graphics card?

May I ask why you want to disable the Nvidia graphics card? I don't see a direct feature in the bios but you can disable it in windows in device manager or prevent it from being used in the nvidia drivers.

parromtra
04-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Man, your BIOS mod is amazing! You've done a great job!

I have several questions about it's configuration:

1. Is there an option to manage LED blinking during sleep mode? These two leds on front and on power button make me crazy))
2. Any way to change splash screen on boot?
3. Is it possible to disable wake from keyboard?
4. You've noted that the only way to repair a brick is to solder a new BIOS chip. I have no brick yet but it is curious for me is it safe to flash stock versions back.

Thank you!

ModJPB
04-26-2017, 12:11 AM
Man, your BIOS mod is amazing! You've done a great job!

I have several questions about it's configuration:

1. Is there an option to manage LED blinking during sleep mode? These two leds on front and on power button make me crazy))
2. Any way to change splash screen on boot?
3. Is it possible to disable wake from keyboard?
4. You've noted that the only way to repair a brick is to solder a new BIOS chip. I have no brick yet but it is curious for me is it safe to flash stock versions back.

Thank you!

Thankyou

1) LOL, Yes, those lights are super annoying. Sorry no bios option but a piece of electrical tape over the lights works nice. A cleaner method that I did was simply unplug the cable that goes to the front LED board.

2) You don't like my Static splash screens?! j/k Yes, the splash screens can be changed using UEFITool. Here are the locations of all the image files in the bios. Make sure whatever image you replace them with, that they are the same file size, resolution, and color space.

Intel Bottom Right (4bit 174x157 13.6KB) FEB4E368-8CFD-401C-B9AF-286BECCAF621

ROG Static (24bit 217x264 168KB) 07F3FB72-D1CB-4DF3-BB26-70427CE2AD8B
ROG Animated (8bit 217x264 72.6KB) EF9F35A7-BC6E-4F10-961F-9A492D471A45

ROG Full (Not Used) 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D
ROG Small (Not Used)- 0A22794E-69D4-42F8-B75B-2EBBF612F317

3) I dont see a bios setting but I believe you can do that with software in the windows power management

4)Yes, you can safely flash back to stock and even older versions, I have done it numerous times.

parromtra
04-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Thankyou

1) LOL, Yes, those lights are super annoying. Sorry no bios option but a piece of electrical tape over the lights works nice. A cleaner method that I did was simply unplug the cable that goes to the front LED board.

2) You don't like my Static splash screens?! j/k Yes, the splash screens can be changed using UEFITool. Here are the locations of all the image files in the bios. Make sure whatever image you replace them with, that they are the same file size, resolution, and color space.

Intel Bottom Right (4bit 174x157 13.6KB) FEB4E368-8CFD-401C-B9AF-286BECCAF621

ROG Static (24bit 217x264 168KB) 07F3FB72-D1CB-4DF3-BB26-70427CE2AD8B
ROG Animated (8bit 217x264 72.6KB) EF9F35A7-BC6E-4F10-961F-9A492D471A45

ROG Full (Not Used) 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D
ROG Small (Not Used)- 0A22794E-69D4-42F8-B75B-2EBBF612F317

3) I dont see a bios setting but I believe you can do that with software in the windows power management

4)Yes, you can safely flash back to stock and even older versions, I have done it numerous times.

Thank you for your reply!

About LEDs and waking from keyboard, these problems started when I've flashed 210 stock BIOS and persisted even when I flashed old 205 version.

The LED on power button stayed off in sleep mode and the front one blinked shortly once in a couple of seconds. That was perfect =(
About waking from keyboard, there is no option in power management that allows to disable it while sleeping. I assume that it is rather a BIOS feature.
And again, none of these problems appeared on my stock BIOS. They've started with 210 and persist till now, even in your version. Any ideas?)

therus000
02-04-2018, 04:35 PM
after i install it
i restart and go to bios and restart and save setting without any changes
my g46vw start but nothing go on screen
it look like in sleep mod
how can i fix it \help pleae

ModJPB
03-26-2018, 11:17 PM
after i install it
i restart and go to bios and restart and save setting without any changes
my g46vw start but nothing go on screen
it look like in sleep mod
how can i fix it \help pleae

I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you got it to work again? If it seems alseep hold the power button down until it hard resets. You can force the bios to reset to defaults by taking out the ram chips, turn on, hold power to turn off, reinstall one ram chip and power on again. If nothing works, sorry you'll have to order a new programmed bios chip, remove the old one, and solder the new on.

jacobssn
07-12-2018, 07:00 PM
@ModJPB

Hi dude, It seems like I'm checking in once a year or so =)
I actually flashed your BIOS mods, disassembled my G46VW, lubricated the fan rods, made an CPU air-intake + dust filter and put some liquid ultra between GPU and CPU. I never thought I'd actually bust this out from the closet for daily use again!

I have two questions:

1.Do you guys have any good tutorial for flashing the BIOS + Unlocked ME BIOS with a hardware flasher?
I have no problem soldering on wires for access points or even remove the bios chip.

2. I never figured out how to enable memory overclocking in BIOS, how did you go about doing that?

antisocialist247
11-25-2018, 05:48 PM
@ModJPB

Hi dude, It seems like I'm checking in once a year or so =)
I actually flashed your BIOS mods, disassembled my G46VW, lubricated the fan rods, made an CPU air-intake + dust filter and put some liquid ultra between GPU and CPU. I never thought I'd actually bust this out from the closet for daily use again!

I have two questions:

1.Do you guys have any good tutorial for flashing the BIOS + Unlocked ME BIOS with a hardware flasher?
I have no problem soldering on wires for access points or even remove the bios chip.

2. I never figured out how to enable memory overclocking in BIOS, how did you go about doing that?

@jacobssn

i love your idea/mod for the CPU intake vent... i will definitely try that with mines and also do a GPU intake vent as well..... along with a laptop cooling pad it will keep things nice and chilly..... question is what did you use to drill in your vent holes + what material you used for a dust filter?

lets all try to keep this thread alive..

ModJPB
04-21-2019, 03:42 AM
Hey all, sorry to say my G46vw did not survive a fall off the couch last year so it was fun while it lasted. I did upgrade to a GS43vr. I would have loved to stick with another ROG but ASUS doesn't make a 14" gamer. RIP

I have done similar mods to the MSI laptop BIOS, cooling vent holes. OC DRAM. One nice thing about the MSI is it has a fail safe if you mess up the bios. hold the power button for 60 seconds and everything clears and sets to default. Something annoyingly tedious is; I have to manually unlock write protection every time I want to flash it.

ASUS if you are reading this, please make another compact laptop with killer cooling and upgradable parts! (Compact as in width and depth, not thin) A bezel-less 15" LCD with a tenkeyless keyboard.