PDA

View Full Version : G751. Is it worth my money?

Underoath77
01-25-2016, 05:57 AM
Hello, I was in the market to buy G 751 due to the fact that it has a 970 GTX. I understand that that is really a 960 desktop version GPU, I just wanted to know how long you guys think this will be future proof? I play games at 1080p or a little below. I just want to know how long this laptop will be feasible to meet my gaming requirements? This is my budget otherwise I would have purchased a g752.

Thanks
Joel

Icemixxy
01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
I've had the G751JT for almost a year, and I can say that performance-wise it's a beast.the dual cooling helps a ton!
Regarding the money worth thing, it could be 100-200$ cheaper. The known issues are the USB port(s) on the left are working sub-voltage and the screen bleeding of IPS panels. You'd just expect a flagship laptop to be perfect.
Again, performance-wise it's awesome. GTA V on ultra with almost all settings on max, had to disable or lower some because of the 3gb ram limit on my card. WoW is what I play 90% of the time, it works on ultra without issues at 60+ fps.
It's worth buying when on deal, but in my country, the price difference between G751 and G752 with gtx970m is less than 10% so in my opinion, it's worth saving money for another month and buying the G752 with 6th gen i7

Underoath77
01-25-2016, 07:57 AM
I've had the G751JT for almost a year, and I can say that performance-wise it's a beast.the dual cooling helps a ton!
Regarding the money worth thing, it could be 100-200$ cheaper. The known issues are the USB port(s) on the left are working sub-voltage and the screen bleeding of IPS panels. You'd just expect a flagship laptop to be perfect.
Again, performance-wise it's awesome. GTA V on ultra with almost all settings on max, had to disable or lower some because of the 3gb ram limit on my card. WoW is what I play 90% of the time, it works on ultra without issues at 60+ fps.
It's worth buying when on deal, but in my country, the price difference between G751 and G752 with gtx970m is less than 10% so in my opinion, it's worth saving money for another month and buying the G752 with 6th gen i7

Thanks. Just hope it's able to play titles 3 years out

Julskey
01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
G751 and G752 have the same GPU. And yes it is very much worth your money. If I had not ordered the G752VT, I would have bought the G751JY. I still have my G74SX lo-mid level with the gtx560m 2gb since 2012. I can still play newer games at medium settings (DotA2 on highest setting). The GTX970m is currently 2nd from highest mobile graphics card, so I can say it will last you maybe 3 or four years from now.

clockworksatan
01-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Yes. Buy one. DO IT.

JustinThyme
01-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Hello, I was in the market to buy G 751 due to the fact that it has a 970 GTX. I understand that that is really a 960 desktop version GPU, I just wanted to know how long you guys think this will be future proof? I play games at 1080p or a little below. I just want to know how long this laptop will be feasible to meet my gaming requirements? This is my budget otherwise I would have purchased a g752.

Thanks
Joel

If you are looking for desktop graphics performance, I recommend buying a desktop, The 970M will not even compete with a GTX960, more like an GTX880. This is a mobile environment and while graphics have improved they are not on par with their desktop brothers sharing the same model number sous M.
Nothing is future proof, otherwise we would still all be running on board Intel graphics and a 386 CPU with a 40 MB HDD 128Kb RAM and floppy disks to install everything as CDs were not yet invented much less DVD followed by Blu Ray.

This is one model old already even though the newest model saw little in the realms of upgrades. Intel nor Nvidia has crapped out anything new recently worth mentioning and are overdue for a major upgrade. When that will happen is anyone's guess.

On the upside you can always upgrade the graphics to desktop quality by using an external card and the thunderbolt port, they were taunting a new solution on social media as well as new ROG bags that will fit the New G752 machines as their current lineup will not.

Underoath77
01-25-2016, 08:47 PM
If you are looking for desktop graphics performance, I recommend buying a desktop, The 970M will not even compete with a GTX960, more like an GTX880. This is a mobile environment and while graphics have improved they are not on par with their desktop brothers sharing the same model number sous M.
Nothing is future proof, otherwise we would still all be running on board Intel graphics and a 386 CPU with a 40 MB HDD 128Kb RAM and floppy disks to install everything as CDs were not yet invented much less DVD followed by Blu Ray.

This is one model old already even though the newest model saw little in the realms of upgrades. Intel nor Nvidia has crapped out anything new recently worth mentioning and are overdue for a major upgrade. When that will happen is anyone's guess.

On the upside you can always upgrade the graphics to desktop quality by using an external card and the thunderbolt port, they were taunting a new solution on social media as well as new ROG bags that will fit the New G752 machines as their current lineup will not.

I'm building a Maximus extreme build in a year or so and we'll add the GTX 1000 Pascal when it arrives. This is just to hold me till then

Pascal is due to arrive next year and price points suggest $800-950