PDA

View Full Version : G752VT memory upgrade qns from a noob!

hamustar
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Recently took possession of this gorgeous machine and mine is probably an entry version with 8GB DDR4 and 970m.

I am thinking of RAM upgrades.
Currently the RAM seems to be sitting bank 2 and single channel http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/e9ecc774abb8dc8c9a92418b6e9c5608.jpg

A) Can I purchase a pair of chips of another brand like Kingston or Crucial and use it on top of the one inside ?
B) Would this result in 24gb and in dual channel ?
C) anything else that I shd be considering ?

Thank you in adv !

JustinThyme
01-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Its a crap shoot on whether or not the RAM is compatible. If you get it as close to configuration as possible to whats in there it will most likely work but default to the slowest rams SPD info, usually whats already installed.
Unfortunately you wont be able to get dual channel with one slot empty in the top non user serviceable area. You will just get 24GB of ram if what you put in is compatible with the stock sticks. The only way to be 100% sure is to either replace everything or order exactly what you already have.

You will not likely see any difference single or dual channel most of the time unless you do a lot of video editing or batch processing of photos, both are very RAM intensive operations. Other than those maybe benchmarks will decline but for the most part most users wont be able to tell any differene.

Just one warning, you crack open the machine to add anything to the inside you void your warranty.

Usually I would say to do a search and see what others have had luck with but not many G752 users posting up on RAM changes yet. I bit the bullet on a 64GB kit of 2800Mhz that will be in tomorrow. May work, may not. I will be replacing all sticks though.

hamustar
01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Ah ! Thanks for the tip.

So it wouldn't make sense to upgrade RAM then. Shall look at other upgrades instead then.

So silly of Asus to kill the user experience by placing the memory stick in such an obscure place.