PDA

View Full Version : G52VY Fans are on/off

SteaK n Cheese
01-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Hey guys!

I have been using this computer for like almost a month now and it has always been quiet, but I had just figured that the fans were not so loud but today I was struggling with mouse settings and SOMEHOW I did something and air started to came out from the fans and it was quite loud. So I guess NOW the fans started to work. I have no idea how I did it. I guess they were just turned off the whole time. I shutted down the computer after and now I can`t turn them on again and I couldn`t find anything. Is there a way to turn on/off the fans manually?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have managed to turn them on again with fn keys, not quite sure how.

Clintlgm
01-29-2016, 08:23 PM
There are no user controls for fans on these notebooks. The speed of the fan or fans is dependent on the temps of your CPU and GPU. Most of the time you don't notice the fan noise until they are running full out at 3400 RPM or so. This would indicate that your CPU or GPU was heating up to 80C or so.

You might want to run the sensors in Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to see what is actually going on. You will be able to see and log your CPU GPU loads, temps and fan speeds.

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 09:39 PM
EDIT: I have managed to turn them on again with fn keys, not quite sure how.

See what happens when you go to remapping your ATK profile! LOL.

As far as I know the only thing that has an effect is the thermal profiles unless you install a 3rd part software. Ive tried speedfan and even their latest beta and haven't been able to get anything to work in auto to any profile I set. I can use notebook fan control to manually set a percentage but that's about it. Mine dont run above a very low level until I throw something at it to raise the temps.

SteaK n Cheese
01-30-2016, 10:07 AM
There are no user controls for fans on these notebooks. The speed of the fan or fans is dependent on the temps of your CPU and GPU. Most of the time you don't notice the fan noise until they are running full out at 3400 RPM or so. This would indicate that your CPU or GPU was heating up to 80C or so.

You might want to run the sensors in Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to see what is actually going on. You will be able to see and log your CPU GPU loads, temps and fan speeds.

Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of fan. Even when I was playing GTA on battery.

I ran the sensors but truth to be told I am not quite sure what to look at exactly. I would appreciate it if you could help me about it. Here is a screenshot of it. http://i.imgur.com/Q48pIw8.jpg

As far as I know the only thing that has an effect is the thermal profiles unless you install a 3rd part software. Ive tried speedfan and even their latest beta and haven't been able to get anything to work in auto to any profile I set. I can use notebook fan control to manually set a percentage but that's about it. Mine dont run above a very low level until I throw something at it to raise the temps.

First of all I remapped nothing and I don`t even use any profiles, such as from the gaming center or just whatsoever. And like I explained above I am pretty sure they were not working before at all.

PS: Today I turned on my computer and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time (almost a month), is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

SteaK n Cheese
01-30-2016, 10:08 AM

Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on I wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working at maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of the fans even when I was playing GTA on battery.

I ran the sensors but truth to be told I am not quite sure what to look at exactly. I would appreciate it if you could help me about it. Here is a screenshot of it. http://i.imgur.com/Q48pIw8.jpg

First of all I remapped nothing and I don`t even use any profiles, such as from the gaming center or just whatsoever. And like I explained above I am pretty sure they were not working before at all.

PS: Today I turned on my computer again and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time, is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

Clintlgm
01-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Well if your fans were not working at all you would be overheating seriously.
iN the panel of Hwinfo64 sensors you will find CPU Load, temp and fan speeds all running live time. You will see HI Low and current, the same for GPU, with these sensors running. You can also Log these setting over a period of time.

Recreate your issue and I'll bet your having a issue of heating up of your CPU or GPU or both?
You need to isolate exactly what is actually happening to determine if you have a software or hardware issue.

You photo of the Summery main screen, you need open the sensors there you will see your CPU and GPU Load, temp and fan speed and a ton of other information.55212

SteaK n Cheese
01-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Well if your fans were not working at all you would be overheating seriously.
iN the panel of Hwinfo64 sensors you will find CPU Load, temp and fan speeds all running live time. You will see HI Low and current, the same for GPU, with these sensors running. You can also Log these setting over a period of time.

Recreate your issue and I'll bet your having a issue of heating up of your CPU or GPU or both?
You need to isolate exactly what is actually happening to determine if you have a software or hardware issue.

You photo of the Summery main screen, you need open the sensors there you will see your CPU and GPU Load, temp and fan speed and a ton of other information.55212

Okay I did some tests. I first played GTA V and the GPU temperature was around 60, so I am guessing that`s totally normal. I was able to hear the fan noise a little, so they were working. Then I wanted to try something extreme and I opened three games (GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Rocket Legaue) at a time and played one of them while the two were minimized. I played around 15 minutes of Shadow of Mordor and the GPU temparature was 71 degree. So I am guessing that was also normal since I ran two other games at the same time.

So I am guessing the fans were working all along but I guess I was just missing it because they were not that loud but my girlfriend said she remembers some fan noises.

So my ultimate question is, why did the fans made so much noise the other day when only Rocket Legaue was open and I had not even started to play it yet. I mean I think at that time the fans were working the maximum capacity. You could hear it like AC. Now everything seems normal. When I don`t play fans are not working but when I play, they do.

Is it really possible that somehow I managed to trigger the fans to work at the maximum capacity with some kind of shortcut keys or something?

toronto699
01-30-2016, 06:06 PM
watch this G752 review , he mentions how quiet the fans are and I agree , the G752 is the most quiet Gaming laptop ive ever seen ive only used my G752-VY for a few hours , very silent , its being modified for my work @ CBC.TV.CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=281T0qUXEEQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m8s

JustinThyme
01-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of fan. Even when I was playing GTA on battery.

PS: Today I turned on my computer and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time (almost a month), is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

Easy Brother, I was only teasing about the keys.

Now all kidding aside if your function keys are controlling the fans and you didn't do a custom mapping to make it operate like that I would create a ticket with support as its more likely that hitting a particular function key is actually manipulating the connector where the fan plugs into the header on the mother board which is right under the FN keys meaning you have a bad connection there. Unless it was purely concidence that the temps hit the fan cycle profile at the same time.

For checking temps and fans CPUZ hardware monitor is actually better and easier to see with min and max temps etc. Try leaving that run in the back ground while running the heaven bench test to see what you get.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/download-unigine-heaven-benchmark,5.html

Clintlgm
01-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Yea your temps sound pretty good, my guess would be something triggered your CPU to run max Load and that caused your fan to run full speed. You'll have to replicate it again with the sensors running to figure it out.

So the sensors are showing you that the fans are dropping to Zero? mine always run like 600 RPM to Max at 3400 RPM I've never seen them stop completely to 0 RPM

Devonkev
01-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Don't forget to take the little rubber gromit's on the vent at the back when your using it to game.

SteaK n Cheese
01-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Now all kidding aside if your function keys are controlling the fans and you didn't do a custom mapping to make it operate like that I would create a ticket with support as its more likely that hitting a particular function key is actually manipulating the connector where the fan plugs into the header on the mother board which is right under the FN keys meaning you have a bad connection there. Unless it was purely concidence that the temps hit the fan cycle profile at the same time.

For checking temps and fans CPUZ hardware monitor is actually better and easier to see with min and max temps etc. Try leaving that run in the back ground while running the heaven bench test to see what you get.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/download-unigine-heaven-benchmark,5.html

I tried doing that FN keys again but I got nothing. I guess it was really just a coincidence. But even if it was a coincidence. the fans were way too loud. I am not exaggerating when I say you could hear the fans like AC. It really was like that. Even now with the fans working at 4000RPM this is not loud. Is it possible that the other day the fans were working much more than 4000RPMs? When I somehow "managed" to trigger them to work manually?

I installed CPUZ Hardware Monitor last night and before I did anything else I saw that fans were not working at all, it was at 0 RPM. Then I did the benchmark test on the highest quality and this was the result after I was done with it.

http://i.imgur.com/3Cq4Crc.jpg (This was on battery)

After a while after the benchmark I wanted to check the fans again and they were at 1900-2000RPM not going lower or any upper.
I thought maybe the notebook was still hot so they had to work for a little while longer but then this morning I turned on my notebook and check the fans right away. But they were still working at around 1700-2000RPM.

Then I did the benchmark test again. (this time plugged) And this was the result after.

http://i.imgur.com/OJZn4Ac.jpg

So I guess the fans are working a little bit more while the notebook is plugged. Right now it is has been a while since I did the benchmark again and the fans are still working at 1700-1900RPM.

My questions are:

- Is that normal for fans to work at 2000RPM even when I do almost nothing at all? Or is it normal for them to be at 0 RPM at the beginning and then start working when I do something?

-How was it that last night they were at 0 RPM when I turned on my notebook but they were already at 2000RPM when I turned it on this morning?

Yea your temps sound pretty good, my guess would be something triggered your CPU to run max Load and that caused your fan to run full speed. You'll have to replicate it again with the sensors running to figure it out.

So the sensors are showing you that the fans are dropping to Zero? mine always run like 600 RPM to Max at 3400 RPM I've never seen them stop completely to 0 RPM

Yeah I guess so too, the temps are pretty good. However I have no idea how I managed to trigger my CPU to run max Load. Because even when they were working at 4000RPM when I did the benchmark as I explained it above, it was not loud, it was just a normal fan noise. But the other day they were just really sounding like AC. There was just cold air blowing out from the fans not warm. I wonder at how many RPMs my fans were working at that moment.

To answer to that question I explained it above also. I have no idea why is it like that either.

Don't forget to take the little rubber gromit's on the vent at the back when your using it to game.

I think you put them on only when you are not using the notebook for a while but I don`t have then anymore anyways.

watch this G752 review , he mentions how quiet the fans are and I agree , the G752 is the most quiet Gaming laptop ive ever seen ive only used my G752-VY for a few hours , very silent , its being modified for my work @ CBC.TV.CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=281T0qUXEEQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m8s

Yes, I agree to it really is not loud normally. But that day it was like AC man, I don`t know how. Also I just turned on my computer now 10 mins ago and checked my fans to see that they are now working at 3500RPM but either that program is not accurate or there is something really wrong with my fans, because I hear nothing. This can`t be 3500 RPM. (EDIT: After around 10 minutes now the fans are at 1900RPM again.)

PS: I didn`t see your message until now, I over saw it, sorry about that.

- - -

FINAL LAST MINUTE EDIT:

I triggered it again! The other day I was checking the mouse settings just out of blue and then the fans had started to work really fast. Now I just opened mouse settings and did not even change anything and the fans started to work like hell! Now they are working really fast and really loud! Here is a screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/uxpGxfY.jpg

Is that even safe? 25500 RPM? What is going on? It starts to freak me out. I am just going to shut down my computer and check on the forum after a while.

I appreciate your help guys!

Clintlgm
01-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Well, if your actually reading, or running at 25,500 RPM I would suspect your software is reading wrong or if not that you have a BIOS/MB issue. I am pretty sure these fans are not intended to run that fast!! Its good that you can repeat the issue that makes it easier to resolve. My head is spinning trying to see how mouse software can effect your fan speed perhaps cl-albert if you PM him can help you out with that?

SteaK n Cheese
01-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Well I just spent 5 minutes with mouse settings. Kept opening and closing them many times just to see if it happens again but no, nothing. The fans are just at 2,000 RPM. I have now no idea what caused them to work at 25,000 RPM. I tried everything to trigger it, I don`t know anymore.

Is it even possible for these fans to work at 25, 000 RPM?

I will now also PM him and let him know about the issue, thanks for that.

JustinThyme
01-31-2016, 10:12 PM
Dont think they can run 25000RPM. They would come apart! Not reading correctly.
Speed fan shows mine at like 40 million! LOL

Mine have gotten pretty load a few time under a very heavy load but nothing like you describe. I don't exactly have the best hearing either. Spending several years in the US Navy with high pitched fans running in a radar control room gave me a loss in that frequency which just happens to be the same range of women and children's voices. Sometimes its a godsend although my wife doesnt think its funny LOL.

Julskey
01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Seems like fan controller ckt is not working correctly. Maybe it is a hardware failure. I dont know if you can install a fan controller software to limit the speed of your fans?

SteaK n Cheese
01-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Dont think they can run 25000RPM. They would come apart! Not reading correctly.
Speed fan shows mine at like 40 million! LOL

Mine have gotten pretty load a few time under a very heavy load but nothing like you describe. I don't exactly have the best hearing either. Spending several years in the US Navy with high pitched fans running in a radar control room gave me a loss in that frequency which just happens to be the same range of women and children's voices. Sometimes its a godsend although my wife doesnt think its funny LOL.

Haha yeah I do have some hearing loss myelf too, it is one of the rare occasions that makes me happy about it. Its more like my girlfriend`s problem instead of mine : D

But do you have anything else to say to my other questions in the post above? I am just not sure about all this. I would appreciate it if you could just talk me through what do you know of this.

Seems like fan controller ckt is not working correctly. Maybe it is a hardware failure. I dont know if you can install a fan controller software to limit the speed of your fans?

Normally it is working at normal speeds, I don`think I need to limit it. I just have no idea why they worked so loud those two times but other than that it is pretty good.

Clintlgm
02-01-2016, 02:55 AM
You know I'm wondering if maybe you have a fan with bad bushings have you tried holding it a different angles perhaps what is happening is just a bad bushing that gets in to a certain position or just randomly looses it and create the noise for awhile. that would also make the fan sensor go nuts too I'm guessing?

SteaK n Cheese
02-01-2016, 11:19 AM
You know I'm wondering if maybe you have a fan with bad bushings have you tried holding it a different angles perhaps what is happening is just a bad bushing that gets in to a certain position or just randomly looses it and create the noise for awhile. that would also make the fan sensor go nuts too I'm guessing?

Well my notebook has always been on the desk, so I doubt that`s that.

But anyways. since it doesn`t happen often or regularly I decided to not to worry about it. I will post here later again about it if it happens again.

Now that my question is: Is it normal for fans to work at 2,000 RPM normally when I don`t do anything? I mean it doesn`t make any noise or something but I feel like 2,000 is a bit too much for not doing anything at all.

That`s my only concern right now.

Julskey
02-11-2016, 03:43 AM
Hello, I installed FL studio 12 (trial) in my G752VT and after about a minute after starting the program, the fans start to run at high speeds. Checked my temperatures, CPU is at about 45C and GPU at 41C. When fans start running temperatures will go to about 30C and they do not stop even when you close the program or just do a restart. They will only stop and return to normal speed when you shutdown and switch on again. This seems very strange. I have tried older versions 9 and 10 as well but they have the same result.
My question is, is it bad for the fans if they keep on running at high speed when I'm using FL Studio for a few hours. I don't mind the noise but I don't want to abuse the fans.

Thanks.

maf23
02-11-2016, 08:37 AM

I had this happen on my GL552VW (fan output to 100%) when applications that changed display resolutions closed. When this happen, is the air coming out warm? In my case the air was totally cool. I updated the video display drivers to versions newer than than those on ASUS site and the problem went away.

cdma2k
02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Generally speaking if you can not replicate the problem, it might not help at all to open a ticket.