PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Asus G752VY-DH78K Specifications Misleading!

alienbaby
01-30-2016, 06:57 PM
I purchased an Asus G752VY-D78K from the eStore (http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006013/A38824). Please review this sample from the laptop specifications for this product:

Storage
1TB 7200RPM + 512GB SSD (PCIEG3x4)

I was under the impression the laptop included one 512GB PCIE SSD. Instead, the laptop came with 2 256GB SSDs with absolutely no working RAID configuration. One SSD is assigned to "C:" and the other SSD is assigned to "F:".

That's not what Asus is advertising on the eStore. For me, 256GB SSD for "C:" is not enough space and I'm not interested in an SSD hard drive configuration like that.

I tried calling the System Product Support line today but they redirected me to the eStore, which does not open again until Monday.

I'm sharing this experience with the Asus community in hopes to expose what they're doing and to seek advice/feedback.

JustinThyme
01-30-2016, 07:29 PM
This has been noted a couple of times before with that model. I agree 100% that is should list 2x256GB M2 NVMe drives but in the end its all in the wording. It lists 64GB ram which we all know that no one is making 64GB sticks, its 4x 16GB sticks. Its says 512GB SSD and doesnt specify that its 2x256GB or 1x 512GB.

What gets to me the most about it is if you want to add more you have to scrap one and lose 256GB. A single 512GB SM951 NVMe would have been much better.

In the end the best you will get out of them is offering a return with a 15% restocking fee if that as it just doesn't specify anywhere that its a single 512GB SSD.

Thanks for the post though so folks will know that what they are getting is 2x256GB NVMe drives.:cool:

alienbaby
01-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I actually disagree with the analogy of comparing the 2x256GB SSDs to 4x16GB RAM because the RAM being 4x16GB does not have any impact on a user's experience. From a user's perspective, however, having only 256GB on C:\ would be a deal breaker to most power users.

The Asus eStore is not selling the G752VY as advertised and I believe this does not only apply only to my particular model.

toronto699
01-30-2016, 10:06 PM
I agree with alienbaby , I have a DH78K and was expecting 1 512GB PCIE drive. its misleading , in my simple opinion , I was planning to add another 512GB PCIE ,now that will be 2 512GB PCIE Drives added , as for ram 64GB is 64GB no matter the size and would expect all slots to be full as u can install no more than 64GB but when we talk Hard Drives we expect 1 512GB as advertised not 2x256GB , that's what most would think and expect. The Editors At CBC TV and IT Technical Staff are surprised with 2X256 SSD Drives that was unexpected and will be rectified by our IT Department very limited for TV Broadcast purposes. Then again more research should have been carried out by CBC IT Technical Purchasing Staff. No Bonus for them HA HA
My G752 is being upgraded and modified to rectify this over sight for CBC TV Broadcast work purposes .
Advertising is Advertising but slight of hand is deceit in my simple opinion.

Clintlgm
01-30-2016, 10:25 PM
I have to think this is a dirty trick by Asus!! of course we all would expect from the advertising that a single 512 GB drive would be in there. or as Asus did with some of the G750 they had 2 128 GB in raid to equal 1 drive of 256 GB. So yea they should have at least put them in RAID to equal 512 GB

JustinThyme
01-31-2016, 05:11 AM
Don't get me wrong fellas, I wouldn't like it either. Just playing the devils advocate and precisely how it would come out in the wash. You did in fact get 512GB capacity of SSD drive. Marketing majors are experts at the word games. I'm sure the only reason they did this was purchasing got a better deal on bulk lots of 256GB drives.
The RAM in this instance is maxed out but what if you bought the DH72 and it came with 4x8GB instead of 2x16GB? You wouldn't be able to upgrade it to the full 64 GB without first removing all the 8GB sticks. Not how it comes but just a comparison, both would in fact be 32GB of RAM.

I've never liked the fact that you can't order it exactly how you want it directly from ASUS. You get a choice of a few models and have to pick whatever is closest which usually means you get something you don't even want. You can spec or out from places like Gentech or Xotic PC but you still start with something you don't want that is priced higher than other places. Then their add ons are more expensive and their credits for removing a piece of hardware are laughable. Ultimate would be the machine you bought with 2x512GB m2 SSDs and a 2 TB sata III SSD in the 2.5" bay. They would probably put that machine at the $5k mark when the cost difference should really only put it at $4k.

alienbaby
01-31-2016, 06:01 AM
JustinThyme: I got the 2tb Samsung 850 Pro and replaced the factory 1TB with it. I'm curious though. If I bought that 512GB PCIE (950 or whatever it is called) like what you did, how would I install it and how do I restore my current Windows 10 Professional onto the new primary 512GB SSD? Do I just make a USB backup of my OS and then swap the 2x256GB SSDs with the new 512GB SSD and restore the USB with my 1x512GB PCIE as the primary drive or does it involve a different process and completely reloading Windows/drivers on the new drive?

JustinThyme
01-31-2016, 06:23 AM
To put in a 512GB 950 pro you just remove the 256GB drive that does not have the OS on it and install the 950 pro in its place. Then download samsung data migration and clone the OS drive in automatic mode to the 950 pro, it will automatically resize the partitions to take up the 512GB. When its done shut down, pull out the 256GB with the OS on it, move the 950 pro into its place then put the other drive back in. You then have a primary drive with 512GB and a 256GB for just file storage. You can do as I do anyhow and put the original drive away for the aw crap factor. Much easier to just put that back in and clone than it is to use the recovery feature. Faster too.

alienbaby
01-31-2016, 07:43 PM
JustinThyme,

I wanted to test out the Samsung Data Migration tool before getting the 512GB Samsung 950 by trying to clone my primary (C:\) 256GB onto my (F:\) and then swapping them just to do a dry run and practice before attempting it with the new SSD.

The problem is that the Samsung Data Migration tool already knows how to detect the source drive (C:\), but it does not detect my F:\ 256GB SSD. Instead, it automatically assumes my destination drive is the Samsung 2TB SSD that I have replaced the 1TB HDD with. I can't seem to get Samsung Data Migration to effectively see the second 256GB SSD.

I've even tried to go into Disk Management and set the 2TB SSD as "Offline" in hopes that it will trick the Samsung Data Migration tool to look for the only other Samsung 256GB PCIE drive in there but it still always tries to go for the 2TB SSD that is in the full sized hard drive slot instead.

Clintlgm
01-31-2016, 08:57 PM
No you should use cloning software to clone your current OS Driver to your new 512 950. IE leave your current SSD with OS on it where it is. Remove your 2nd 256gB and then install your 950 GB 512 then clone 256 to 512, shut down remove your old SSD 256 GB move the 512 gB to slot 1 M.2. Put up your factory 256 GB as a back up for later use? Start up your 512 GB should boot. I always recommend Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)to do this. Here is a link to a Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4uRhWwZT0)that shows you how to do this. Works every time. there a other cloning software that work also. In the video don't convert to MBR if you do this step at all convert to GPT This video will even show you how to reduce or expand your C:\ to fit the new SSD on in one clone.

Clintlgm
01-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Yea those of us that have been around come to expect this kind of crap. My first experience was with G75 VW we all thought we were going to have Thunderbolt. Turned out we didn't advertising in small print showed only select models would have it . I'm not sure but I don't think any of the G75VW ever actually go it. A years or so later the G75VX did get it. We all just didn't read the spec's close enough. We Always recommend verifying exactly what you are buying with the vendor

Clintlgm
01-31-2016, 09:09 PM
I would take out the 2 TB drive completely. See my earlier reply in this thread on cloning.

Gps3dx
01-31-2016, 09:22 PM
I suggest you complain to asus about the disinformation and the nonequivalent info Vs reality.
When Asus lately needed to compensate me for my G55VW that they returned it broken and dirty from their official lab.
So in the end they gave me the G751JT - which according to the web site of the only local official Asus importer comes with Blue-ray Writer.
they also told me in writing that whatever is written in that site is what I'll get...
Finaly when It arrived - I had only DVD writer - not even BD reader !
I complained once more, sent proves ( screenshots of the site ) and they eventually gave me in addition a check with the full sum of money of that BD-writer ( prices took from the official Asus eStore ).

Asus should learn that when you make a good PC it should come also with good customer service like IBM's or Dell's....

JustinThyme
01-31-2016, 09:29 PM
JustinThyme,

I wanted to test out the Samsung Data Migration tool before getting the 512GB Samsung 950 by trying to clone my primary (C:\) 256GB onto my (F:\) and then swapping them just to do a dry run and practice before attempting it with the new SSD.

The problem is that the Samsung Data Migration tool already knows how to detect the source drive (C:\), but it does not detect my F:\ 256GB SSD. Instead, it automatically assumes my destination drive is the Samsung 2TB SSD that I have replaced the 1TB HDD with. I can't seem to get Samsung Data Migration to effectively see the second 256GB SSD.

I've even tried to go into Disk Management and set the 2TB SSD as "Offline" in hopes that it will trick the Samsung Data Migration tool to look for the only other Samsung 256GB PCIE drive in there but it still always tries to go for the 2TB SSD that is in the full sized hard drive slot instead.

Like clint said take the other drive out.

Delete the partition on the destination drive then it should pick up on it. I dont have an extra to do a dry run on it. When you get the new its not even initialized which is where you really want to be. Acronis disk commander does that with a single click and reboot with the clean command. Then you just initialize the disk and go from there. My guess is right now your destination drive is not set for the correct type of partition is why its not listing it.

Ill be doing this tomorrow night some time and Ill do a step by step with pictures. Graphics Vbios crapped on me so I had to do an exchange on a new one. Love Costco! While their price was still lower than anyone elses including an extra year warranty the sale was done as of the 17th where they had the G752VYs on sale. The DH72 for $1999 and your model the D78K for $2999. I returned the old one to a local store, they gave me store credit and I went home and called their customer support. I had to buy it at current price which was $320 more on that I had to put the difference on my card. The gal stayed on the phone with me while I completed my order, gave her the new order number and she immediately initiated a refund back to the card so I got it for the same price. Cant beat that! Only thing is I have to wait for it to get here from the west coast. They also have a 90 day full refund policy no questions asked. No one else does that from my experiences anyhow. Worst Buy gives you 15 days unless you are an elite member then you get 30 days or an elite plus like me you get 45 days. B&H out of NYC gives you 30 days too with one problem though. If the box is open, you cant return it!

Anyhow I'm doing a full from scratch conversion, brand new machine to 950 pro. Ill just start it up, go though the set up. Let it do updates then install exactly what I need to clone and thats it.

When I did mine with a brand new uninitialzed drive the samsung data migration was by far the easiest and fastest clone I've ever done!

You may be able to clean the drive with command prompt, should be the same as windows 7.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

MrRuckus
02-01-2016, 05:32 AM
Wow. Misleading indeed. I would have been pissed had I bought the D78K and found this out. It does seem to be a pattern with Asus and their multiple drives. Like my old G750 had 256GB via two 128GB sticks. The difference with that though was that RAID was enabled. With no RAID option on these G752's, thats bull****. One could argue you dont need the speed of two NVMe drives, which I can understand, but some need it for work space on a single drive. Especially when the website says nothing about that 512GB being two drives on the specs:

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006013/A38824

toronto699
02-01-2016, 05:57 AM
How to Clone M.2 SSD to SSD 950 Pro M.2 512GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Sjc-co4Wk