PDA

View Full Version : low quality battery in G75x ?

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 02:09 AM
After reading several stories/posts about bad battery, I check the battery status on each laptops around

run powercfg /bateryreport on Windows 8.1 or windows 10 command prompt
run powercfg /energy on windows 7

interesting finding:
zBook still 100% of designed capacity after 2 years and 4000 hours use
the rest are around 99%

unfortunately G751s: 97% and 98% within 100 hour and 50 hours use, horrible!

just wonder how your G75x battery is doing? If it is a common problem for Asus G75x, maybe we should raise our concern especially Asus made battery replacement non-user serviceable.

Clintlgm
02-01-2016, 02:38 AM
Well my G75VW seems to be working just fine since 2012. I really don't think anyone buying a 17" gaming notebook is concerned about battery life. Mine does exactly what I expect it to do. I only need it as a UPS and it hasn't failed yet.

BrandyT
02-01-2016, 03:00 AM
The battery in my G751JT has deteriorated by about 13% within 8 months. It won't charge above 86%-88% as of a week ago. The battery on my old Sony laptop loses a charge fast, but still at least charges to 100% and it's almost 6 years old.

Judging by the number of threads on this forum that are battery issue related with the G751's, I'd say the batteries are seriously lacking in this model.

I do keep my laptop plugged in most of the time since I use it for 3d artistic rendering, which obviously takes a lot of juice, so it's not a huge issue for me. But going from a laptop that I never had to worry about percentage loss to one that loses so much in less than a year really surprised me. Especially for paying so much, one would think the battery life would last at least a couple years.

Clintlgm
02-01-2016, 03:12 AM
Yes I have to agree if its not charging to100% you have a hardware issue. I don't really pay attention to mine but I just looked and it says 96% not charging.

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 03:22 AM
The battery in my G751JT has deteriorated by about 13% within 8 months. It won't charge above 86%-88% as of a week ago. The battery on my old Sony laptop loses a charge fast, but still at least charges to 100% and it's almost 6 years old.

Judging by the number of threads on this forum that are battery issue related with the G751's, I'd say the batteries are seriously lacking in this model.

I do keep my laptop plugged in most of the time since I use it for 3d artistic rendering, which obviously takes a lot of juice, so it's not a huge issue for me. But going from a laptop that I never had to worry about percentage loss to one that loses so much in less than a year really surprised me. Especially for paying so much, one would think the battery life would last at least a couple years.

Yes, 13% loss within 8 months is not acceptable for a product positioned as high-end and costs that much

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 03:38 AM
To be more specific, when you

there are several parameters printed out

Full Charged Capacity
Designed Capacity

Battery Wear Level = Full Charged Capacity / Designed Capacity

I'm not happy with lossing 3% (i.e. 97% of battery wear level after less than 100 hours' use of my G751)

JustinThyme
02-01-2016, 04:08 AM
3 machines in the G75x family. All are fine. Diagnostics report with no issues noted. Two over a year, one less than a month. They all behave the same. Drops down to 95% before it will initiate a charge cycle and stops at 100%.
There are a lot of user related habits that factor into the batteries longevity and accounts for more of any failure rate than anything else. There are a few cells that will crap here and there, that just the nature of extracting usable power from a chemical reaction, its still not an exact science and never will be. Batteries have evolved tremendously over the course of the last few years. 5% failure rate is acceptable according to IEEE standards.

You cant compare a zenbook to an ROG machine, they are two totally different platforms designed for different purposes. The Zenbook uses Intel Graphics and are configured for low power comsumption as they are marketed to be ultra portable with long batter life. ROG G751 series are the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Portability and battery run time has been sacrificed for extreme performance. You hit a ROG hard enough with an intensive application that is going to tax the CPU and the GPU it is going to draw on the battery even when plugged in. Nothing you can do on a Zenbook that would ever bring that scenerio into play. Comparing the two is like comparing the size and power specifications of a Mini cooper to a Maserati. They are just not in the same league.

There is one thread with a few users having issues with batteries. That does not equate to a general statement that all G75X series machines have low quality batteries. Google asus zenbook battery problems. If you follow the same protocol then all Zen books have low quality batteries as well. Guarantee you do a search on any battery in any device and it will yield multiple hits. Like I said 5% failure rate is 100% acceptable. Someone has to experience the 5 out of 100.

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 04:23 AM
1. by zBook I mean HP zBook, not asus zenbook
2. please read careful about what the Battery Wear Level means; you have to find out what is your current Full Charged Capacity and how far it drops from the Designed Capacity

let's make a hyperthetical example
G751's Designed Capacity is 90,000 mWh let's assume it can last 10 hours
if your Full Charged Capacity is 90,000 mWh when it is new, i.e. wear Level = 100%
then your Full Charged Capacity drops to 45,000 mWh after 1 year, , i.e. wear Level = 50%
you still can charge it to 100%, but that's 100 % of Full Charged Capacity, i.e. 45,000 mWh, not 100% of Designed Capacity
it can last 5 hours only now after full charge, got it?

My concern is that the batter wear level for G75x drops too fast as time goes by

Clintlgm
02-01-2016, 04:29 AM
NAME G75--52
MANUFACTURER ASUSTek
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY LIon
DESIGN CAPACITY 78,000 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 62,370 mWh
CYCLE COUNT

Ok so I'm @80% after 3.5 years

Alex8850
02-01-2016, 04:35 AM
I have a similar situation to the one Brandy exposed,

I have an G751JT-CH71 model since January 2015 and it has deteriorated about 12%, charging up to 87%-88% and no further, with Windows saying "13 minutes until fully charged" and stuck there with the battery LED always orange.

I tried several methods such as re-calibration, updating the BIOS, holding the power button during 30 seconds, uninstalling the ACPI driver. Nothing. Sadly, the battery's warranty just expired, so I am going to wait for the battery to completely die to send it to replace.

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 04:42 AM
NAME G75--52
MANUFACTURER ASUSTek
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY LIon
DESIGN CAPACITY 78,000 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 62,370 mWh
CYCLE COUNT

Ok so I'm @80% after 3.5 years

thanks, fyi, my HP zBook 100% after 2 years/4k hous, Acer Aspire 93% after 6 years/22.3k hours; I guess we can not say Asus's battery meets our expectation

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 04:47 AM
I have a similar situation to the one Brandy exposed,

I have an G751JT-CH71 model since January 2015 and it has deteriorated about 12%, charging up to 87%-88% and no further, with Windows saying "13 minutes until fully charged" and stuck there with the battery LED always orange.

I tried several methods such as re-calibration, updating the BIOS, holding the power button during 30 seconds, uninstalling the ACPI driver. Nothing. Sadly, the battery's warranty just expired, so I am going to wait for the battery to completely die to send it to replace.

Yes, I run the battery test after reading your problem and raised the flag:)

JustinThyme
02-01-2016, 05:20 AM
1. by zBook I mean HP zBook, not asus zenbook
2. please read careful about what the Battery Wear Level means; you have to find out what is your current Full Charged Capacity and how far it drops from the Designed Capacity

let's make a hyperthetical example
G751's Designed Capacity is 90,000 mWh let's assume it can last 10 hours
if your Full Charged Capacity is 90,000 mWh when it is new, i.e. wear Level = 100%
then your Full Charged Capacity drops to 45,000 mWh after 1 year, , i.e. wear Level = 50%
you still can charge it to 100%, but that's 100 % of Full Charged Capacity, i.e. 45,000 mWh, not 100% of Designed Capacity
it can last 5 hours only now after full charge, got it?

My concern is that the batter wear level for G75x drops too fast as time goes by

Thats a bit on the funny side. I just did a search on "hp zbook battery failure" and got even more hits than the zenbook.

Sorry Brother, I dont do hypothetical. Im a factual person, to a fault even. And its a FACT that NO G751 WILL RUN 10 HOURS ON BATTERY!!

Again you cant compare these machines to an HPZbook either. The NVIDIA Quadro K4100M graphics is more comparable to a GTX 700M series and wont draw power from the battery under heavy load.

For giggles to make you feel better I just ran mine and the worst was actually a G74SX that is 5 years old and at 82%. G752VY being the newest at 100% after 150 hours, G751JY at 98% after 6 months and G751JL at 94% after 1.5 years. Im good.

Looking at the big picture and grand scheme of things, I'm fairly sure everyone who bought one of these machines expects short battery run time regardless of the age. In your worst case show in the OP if you are down to completely deplorable and unacceptable low quality level of 97% you just lost 3 mins of run time at idle from the 2 hours expected. Load it down and crank up the display and you just cut that in half and your 1 hour of run time is now 58 mins.

Personally speaking I'm not experiencing any unacceptable conditions out of 3 G75x machines. I dont expect them to run long on battery, That's a trade off. They normally get pretty much no time on battery save my monthly habit of running them to shut down followed by a recharge cycle and an occasional move from one room to another when I'm in the middle of something and every now and then Ill sit doing a menial task for an hour or so but not often. I never try to load it down while on battery as for starters performance takes a hit on that power profile.

I get your point and concerns but in the end they just don't amount to a hill of beans on this machine, particulary when based on completey inaccurate hypothetical situations. If you want to trend the batteries of several machines over a period of a couple of years that would present a better argument. Get one that drops out a cell, thats a completely different discussion altogether.

From an engineering perspective, the batteries in these machines are more closely related to capacitors in use and practicality. They are energy storage devices that smooth voltage and prevent sags when you peak loads on the CPU and GPU as the power adapter cant handle it. When I want long battery time, my POS work laptop is an HP probook with an I5 CPU and cheap everything with an extended battery pack on it that will go 6-8 hours even though its spec'd out to go for 10. Its does diagnostic reports on electrical apparatus and office documents, none of which has a high rate of power consumption.

BrandyT
02-01-2016, 05:51 AM
There is one thread with a few users having issues with batteries. That does not equate to a general statement that all G75X series machines have low quality batteries. Google asus zenbook battery problems. If you follow the same protocol then all Zen books have low quality batteries as well. Guarantee you do a search on any battery in any device and it will yield multiple hits. Like I said 5% failure rate is 100% acceptable. Someone has to experience the 5 out of 100.

Actually, there are multiple threads on here about the G751's having the same battery issues. I was just browsing around today and happened on them. But then, maybe this is what's normal for a power machine like the ROG. I owned a Sony Viao before getting my G751...so I'm not sure what is standard for a machine like the ROG. I was just surprised that I would lose so much of the battery in such a small amount of time, since my Sony (which was pretty good for graphics-related stuff back when I bought it 6 years ago), still charges to 100%, even if the charge doesn't hold for very long.

Like I said, my laptops, both my old Sony and my new G751, are used for 3d artistic renders. I have always used them plugged in 90% of the time because when rendering, the program uses a lot of juice and I wouldn't want the laptop shutting down in the middle of a render due to a low battery. I know the charge depletes fast when using system intensive applications, hence using them plugged in most of the time. I just didn't expect not to be able to always charge to 100%, especially before a year's even up.

In the end, as long as running on a battery that won't charge past 88% doesn't hurt my machine, I'm not too worried about it. Everything else is working fine. :D

JustinThyme
02-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Actually, there are multiple threads on here about the G751's having the same battery issues. I was just browsing around today and happened on them. But then, maybe this is what's normal for a power machine like the ROG. I owned a Sony Viao before getting my G751...so I'm not sure what is standard for a machine like the ROG. I was just surprised that I would lose so much of the battery in such a small amount of time, since my Sony (which was pretty good for graphics-related stuff back when I bought it 6 years ago), still charges to 100%, even if the charge doesn't hold for very long.

Like I said, my laptops, both my old Sony and my new G751, are used for 3d artistic renders. I have always used them plugged in 90% of the time because when rendering, the program uses a lot of juice and I wouldn't want the laptop shutting down in the middle of a render due to a low battery. I know the charge depletes fast when using system intensive applications, hence using them plugged in most of the time. I just didn't expect not to be able to always charge to 100%, especially before a year's even up.

In the end, as long as running on a battery that won't charge past 88% doesn't hurt my machine, I'm not too worried about it. Everything else is working fine. :D

Actually people don't post up in tech forums looking for solutions when everything is on the up and up. Like I said, google search any laptop by any manufacturer with the tag battery failure and watch the pages load. You just happen to be in the 5% range.

What you are experiencing has nothing in the least to do with the contents in the OP in this thread. Trust me when I say, you have a defective pack with a shorted cell. Running the powercfg /energy and its report shows the software's report of what it thinks the batteries amp hour capacity is at when fully charged, your issue is you cant fully charge. Truth be known powercfg is not at all accurate. The software cannot trend and give you internal impedance values of the individual battery cells and the report will vary simply based on your current processor speed and display brightness. Some of my clients pay big $$ for the ability to do that. $25K to monitor one battery string with 240 2.2V flooded lead acid cells capable of running a MW (big M=million watts) of data center servers for 15 mins. That's just one string with one enterprise UPS and a drop in the bucket. Most of the major finanicals that are in my customer database have datacenters in the million sqft range with critical power totaling in the 50MW range.

If anyone really wants to know all the ends and outs of battery chemistry of all types, how it works, how it depletes etc Hit me up and I will give you the number info to register, its held in Kingston RI. I teach a vendor class there periodically (3-4 times a year) that lasts 18 days, cost for the class $2200.

cdma2k
02-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Actually people don't post up in tech forums looking for solutions when everything is on the up and up. Like I said, google search any laptop by any manufacturer with the tag battery failure and watch the pages load. You just happen to be in the 5% range.

What you are experiencing has nothing in the least to do with the contents in the OP in this thread. Trust me when I say, you have a defective pack with a shorted cell. Running the powercfg /energy and its report shows the software's report of what it thinks the batteries amp hour capacity is at when fully charged, your issue is you cant fully charge. Truth be known powercfg is not at all accurate. The software cannot trend and give you internal impedance values of the individual battery cells and the report will vary simply based on your current processor speed and display brightness. Some of my clients pay big $$ for the ability to do that. $25K to monitor one battery string with 240 2.2V flooded lead acid cells capable of running a MW (big M=million watts) of data center servers for 15 mins. That's just one string with one enterprise UPS and a drop in the bucket. Most of the major finanicals that are in my customer database have datacenters in the million sqft range with critical power totaling in the 50MW range.

If anyone really wants to know all the ends and outs of battery chemistry of all types, how it works, how it depletes etc Hit me up and I will give you the number info to register, its held in Kingston RI. I teach a vendor class there periodically (3-4 times a year) that lasts 18 days, cost for the class $2200.
assuming what you said here is right, 5% = 50k ppm
In today industry/manufacturing standard, I do not think 50k ppm battery is acceptable

andreacos92
02-01-2016, 07:31 PM
In less than 11 months, my battery went from a Full Charge Capacity of 87 Wh to a Full Charge Capacity of 61 Wh...

This is about 30% of loss in capacity..
I don't pretend my battery lasts 3-4 hours, otherwise I would have bought another notebook, but in my opionion is really too much loss.
Furthermore, there is the problem of the battery charging to 87-88% max.

A bit disappointed, I think it's normal after 11 months of no-stress usage on battery.

JustinThyme
02-01-2016, 08:04 PM
assuming what you said here is right, 5% = 50k ppm
In today industry/manufacturing standard, I do not think 50k ppm battery is acceptable

I don't set the standards I just follow and enforce them. If you think a 5% failure rate standard set by a global administration, IEEE, to police the battery manufacturers and as third party non biased testing and commissioning is not acceptable perhaps you should start your own battery company and try to exceed those standards. I oversee thousands of batteries being installed in a single facility and also watch the pallets of them that go right back out the door during commissioning because they failed. If they exceed 5% overall failure the manufacturer is heavily fined.

Here is a link just to start with the extreme basics.
https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/batteries.html

Julskey
02-02-2016, 03:02 AM
I think this the price we have to pay for smaller and lighter batteries. We don't have technology (or too expensive) for small, light weight and efficient batteries. Could also be just business for battery manufacturers.

kingjezdi
02-02-2016, 08:50 AM
can i activate liike before that the G751Jy, dont charge to 100 % ?

BrandyT
02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
What you are experiencing has nothing in the least to do with the contents in the OP in this thread. Trust me when I say, you have a defective pack with a shorted cell.
Alright, so I understand now that 5% of batteries fail. So it seems all of us posting here with this problem fall within that 5%. My question is...is it ok to continue using my laptop with a shorted cell? Will it hurt the laptop at all? If everything will continue to function as normal save for the max charge, I'm on the fence about sending it in to be serviced. However, if running it on a bad battery will inevitably hurt the laptop, I may as well send it in now. This is my main concern.

Julskey
02-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Alright, so I understand now that 5% of batteries fail. So it seems all of us posting here with this problem fall within that 5%. My question is...is it ok to continue using my laptop with a shorted cell? Will it hurt the laptop at all? If everything will continue to function as normal save for the max charge, I'm on the fence about sending it in to be serviced. However, if running it on a bad battery will inevitably hurt the laptop, I may as well send it in now. This is my main concern.
I think it is actually dangerous. The more cells get shorted, the more your power adaptor gets overloaded and could result in an exploding battery or burned power adaptor. If battery is removable, you can remove battery and run your laptop with power adaptor plugged into a ups. But it is always best to replace the battery.

JustinThyme
02-02-2016, 02:04 PM
^^^^^^what he said

Alex8850
02-02-2016, 02:33 PM
I think it is actually dangerous. The more cells get shorted, the more your power adaptor gets overloaded and could result in an exploding battery or burned power adaptor. If battery is removable, you can remove battery and run your laptop with power adaptor plugged into a ups. But it is always best to replace the battery.

Thanks a lot for the information, this was also my main concern, but sadly my model has a non removable battery.
Guess I'll have to send it to replace right away.

I installed the BatteryCare program to monitor my battery and when it reaches the top level (87%), the charge rate stops at 0 W. It made me think nothing was wrong with keeping the battery that way.

JustinThyme
02-02-2016, 08:10 PM
They can be user replaced if you are comfortable with it and your machine is out of warranty. Just pop the keyboard off, 6 screws holding the display hinges to the main frame and slide the display behind the machine out of the way, dont even have to disconnect display connectors or wifi antenna. unplug battery from motherboard and a couple of screws holding the battery pack in. You can source the pack for ~$80, just have to look around. Ebay cannibals sell them and there are aftermarket packs. Ive been in and out of the machines enough that with that practice I can change out a pack in less than 30 mins, and thats with a 10 minute coffee break in the middle.

This video shows most of it. After this its just a matter of the display screws, the battery connector and the battery screws. Like I said just lay the display behind the machine and pull the keyboard toward the front to get to the battery connector and retaining screws. you can pull the ribbons off of the keyboard and lay it aside too if you want. Just flip up the retaining tabs at the MOBO connectors and they will come right out with little effort. Just take a little patience going back with those as you have to balance the keyboard off of the MOBO with something as you will need both hands to put the ribbon in place and close the retainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

BrandyT
02-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the information, this was also my main concern, but sadly my model has a non removable battery.
Guess I'll have to send it to replace right away.

I installed the BatteryCare program to monitor my battery and when it reaches the top level (87%), the charge rate stops at 0 W. It made me think nothing was wrong with keeping the battery that way.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...the charge rate is 0 once it hits 87%, so I figured it was ok. But I guess not, which sucks because I was really hoping not to be without my laptop for a couple weeks. :(

ciccio80
02-02-2016, 10:06 PM
After reading several stories/posts about bad battery, I check the battery status on each laptops around

interesting finding:
zBook still 100% of designed capacity after 2 years and 4000 hours use
the rest are around 99%

unfortunately G751s: 97% and 98% within 100 hour and 50 hours use, horrible!

just wonder how your G75x battery is doing? If it is a common problem for Asus G75x, maybe we should raise our concern especially Asus made battery replacement non-user serviceable.

Well your readings are probably wrong somehow.
NO battery can be 100% after 2 years. No battery invented 'till 2016 at least...

cdma2k
02-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Well your readings are probably wrong somehow.
NO battery can be 100% after 2 years. No battery invented 'till 2016 at least...
go tell Microsft their powercfg is wrong
or tell the battery manufactuere don't lie
I'm just a messenger, pull the number out from the battery by a use of windows command powercfg

JustinThyme
02-03-2016, 12:01 AM
You must first understand batteries and the fact that NO software is capable of measuring all aspects of the batteries in an accurate fashion without sensors in which to do so. Batteries are a chemical reaction that produce power. They are not an exact science. A battery can test perfect today and fail tomorrow. I address this fact on at least a weekly basis at work. Customers pay $25K for a small basic battery monitoring system and often more to give them a predicted run time then have a cow when it said they have 15 mins and only get 12 mins. They don't complain though when they get 20 instead.

What lie is the manufacturer telling? Have you pulled the cells out of the pack and done a load bank (calibrated instrumentation) discharge on them and trended no only voltage, current and internal impedance but temperature rise as well? Im just the messenger, the number you pull out with windows powercfg isn't even a diagnostic tool and is about as accurate as an MIT thesis written using common core math. If you ask any M$ platform designer they will tell you the same thing. The software is not designed to tell you if you batteries are good or not. It has an algorithm based on use, current power profile, age of batteries, temperature of the batteries, current voltage etc and uses this information to estimate when its time to put the computer to sleep or hibernate, nothing more. This is its entire purpose in life and the key word here is estimate.

I'm not guessing at this, I get paid a nice salary to do this stuff for multi billion dollar corporations as well as every banking institution and wall street trading company you can think of. Trust me when I say they don't want maybe when it comes to a data center that turns $10-$20 billion daily in transactions. One oops by M$ powercfg and billions are lost.M$ powercfg is a definite.......maybe kinda sort of.

In the end, would you trust M$ powercfg to monitor the batteries in your life support system? Dayum skippy I dont!

Alex8850
02-03-2016, 05:29 AM
They can be user replaced if you are comfortable with it and your machine is out of warranty. Just pop the keyboard off, 6 screws holding the display hinges to the main frame and slide the display behind the machine out of the way, dont even have to disconnect display connectors or wifi antenna. unplug battery from motherboard and a couple of screws holding the battery pack in. You can source the pack for ~$80, just have to look around. Ebay cannibals sell them and there are aftermarket packs. Ive been in and out of the machines enough that with that practice I can change out a pack in less than 30 mins, and thats with a 10 minute coffee break in the middle.

This video shows most of it. After this its just a matter of the display screws, the battery connector and the battery screws. Like I said just lay the display behind the machine and pull the keyboard toward the front to get to the battery connector and retaining screws. you can pull the ribbons off of the keyboard and lay it aside too if you want. Just flip up the retaining tabs at the MOBO connectors and they will come right out with little effort. Just take a little patience going back with those as you have to balance the keyboard off of the MOBO with something as you will need both hands to put the ribbon in place and close the retainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

You are sure of great help! Thanks JustinThyme.

I've read several bad comments about ASUS Support, so I might buy an OEM A42N1403 replacement pack that I recently saw on Amazon.com for 80 bucks and follow the steps you've provided textually with the visual help of the YouTube video. I might also seek an experienced technician to help me with the replacement procedure, since I'm a nervous guy.

Anyways, thanks a lot again for the information, seems that you provided me the most adequate solution for this problem.

JustinThyme
02-03-2016, 02:47 PM
No worries, just trying to save you some $$. I don't think anyone was impressed when ASUS made the decision to put the packs internally the way they did. I get the redesign etc but this pack could have been made to go in the same location and be removable externally very easily. Sounds more like a design for job security for them making less and less user serviceable platforms, I know all about how that works. I get complaints from customers all the time about how settings, calibration and life-cycle monitoring in our UPS systems should all be user accessible. We have it locked down tighter than the bunghole on a grasshopper with proprietary software that is heavily encoded and guarded. Job security is all it is about. It keep the users and even more importantly third party maintenance providers from being able to effectively service the machines. We lose a customer occasionally to a third party salesman who sold them the same service for half the price that we offer it for, but its always short lived when they find out that what they really got for half the price is someone who knows how to turn the machine off, run a vacuum, change filters and turn it back on. They couldnt do anything when it comes to repairs or even necessary replacement of items with a finite lifespan like batteries, power capacitors etc. Had one that tried capacitor replacement of a 500kVA machine in Hawaii and let the magic smoke out. I got a free vacation in Hawaii just to fly out and laugh at them when they asked if it could be rebuilt. Imagine something exploding so violently that it made 1/2 thick copper bus-bar look like the end of Elmer Fudds gun when Bugs Bunny put his finger in the end of the barrel right before he pulled the trigger. Bottom line. Machine was cooked, there goes $180K out the window!

pigulici
02-03-2016, 05:09 PM
JustinThyme: in a ideal world this maybe good, but not on real world, I see so much people come to the shop where I work, the laptop not power on anymore, just removing the batteries, power on with the plug off, put back batteries and the laptop it works, if that person have to go to the authorized service, it is in another town, at least 4-5 days are lost , and money, and if you run a business from that laptop, yeah that will do good, if, and it is a big if, the quality of machine it is so good that don't break or I am near a service, I will be ok that the laptop it is not service friendly...

Julskey
02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
No worries, just trying to save you some $$. I don't think anyone was impressed when ASUS made the decision to put the packs internally the way they did. I get the redesign etc but this pack could have been made to go in the same location and be removable externally very easily. Sounds more like a design for job security for them making less and less user serviceable platforms, I know all about how that works. I get complaints from customers all the time about how settings, calibration and life-cycle monitoring in our UPS systems should all be user accessible. We have it locked down tighter than the bunghole on a grasshopper with proprietary software that is heavily encoded and guarded. Job security is all it is about. It keep the users and even more importantly third party maintenance providers from being able to effectively service the machines. We lose a customer occasionally to a third party salesman who sold them the same service for half the price that we offer it for, but its always short lived when they find out that what they really got for half the price is someone who knows how to turn the machine off, run a vacuum, change filters and turn it back on. They couldnt do anything when it comes to repairs or even necessary replacement of items with a finite lifespan like batteries, power capacitors etc. Had one that tried capacitor replacement of a 500kVA machine in Hawaii and let the magic smoke out. I got a free vacation in Hawaii just to fly out and laugh at them when they asked if it could be rebuilt. Imagine something exploding so violently that it made 1/2 thick copper bus-bar look like the end of Elmer Fudds gun when Bugs Bunny put his finger in the end of the barrel right before he pulled the trigger. Bottom line. Machine was cooked, there goes $180K out the window!

@Justinthyme, are you in the ups business? I was with an atm company before. Biggest ups ive seen were only 3kva and they were the size of a refrigerator, jurassic lol. They were made by magnetec.

JustinThyme
02-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Yes, Im a platform engineer for Schneider Electric. 3kVA is just a little bitty baby. We sell rack mounts in that size that are plug and play. Goes bad, yank it out and plug in another. Not everyone knows the parent company but one of the brands is a household name, everyone who even knows what a UPS is knows APC. 500kVA is for small to medium sized data centers. There are several banking institutions where we have parallel systems with an output of 5MW. Yes 5 million watts! and thats just one of their systems. Several large facilites have 5-10 of these configurations having upwards of 50MW of UPS power. Also do electrical distribution starting at the utility HV feed. Schneider Electric also owns Square D, Merlin Gerin and telemechanique. Lots of other companies too for building automation and monitoring, security etc. Ever see the worlds first hybrid bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDtaxkBPBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6Riz-4y3c

JustinThyme
02-03-2016, 06:57 PM
JustinThyme: in a ideal world this maybe good, but not on real world, I see so much people come to the shop where I work, the laptop not power on anymore, just removing the batteries, power on with the plug off, put back batteries and the laptop it works, if that person have to go to the authorized service, it is in another town, at least 4-5 days are lost , and money, and if you run a business from that laptop, yeah that will do good, if, and it is a big if, the quality of machine it is so good that don't break or I am near a service, I will be ok that the laptop it is not service friendly...

And this is why I lead off with "If you are comfortable doing it". Most users in this forum wont bat an eye and tearing their machine down to bare bones. Some opt to take it to a repair shop. Me, Im a cheap SOB and refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself......well right up until its time to play scuba diving in the sewer system, then my wallet opens right up!

Julskey
02-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Yes, Im a platform engineer for Schneider Electric. 3kVA is just a little bitty baby. We sell rack mounts in that size that are plug and play. Goes bad, yank it out and plug in another. Not everyone knows the parent company but one of the brands is a household name, everyone who even knows what a UPS is knows APC. 500kVA is for small to medium sized data centers. There are several banking institutions where we have parallel systems with an output of 5MW. Yes 5 million watts! and thats just one of their systems. Several large facilites have 5-10 of these configurations having upwards of 50MW of UPS power. Also do electrical distribution starting at the utility HV feed. Schneider Electric also owns Square D, Merlin Gerin and telemechanique. Lots of other companies too for building automation and monitoring, security etc. Ever see the worlds first hybrid bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDtaxkBPBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6Riz-4y3c

Wow. Sorry for going OOT here. I am familiar with Schneider Electric, Merlin Gerin, APC. ACBs, ups, and automation equipment used by our ships.

JustinThyme
02-04-2016, 02:31 AM
Yes we have them on ships. Ive been on two aircraft carriers, 3 coast gaurd cutters and a handful of cruise ships working. The last cruise ship was actually nice. They put out for an 8 day cruise and I went along for the ride, Balcony cabin with everything included. I was done with my work in less than 2 days. So the rest was a free vacation. Was cheaper to let me ride it out then to catch a flight out of a Caribbean island at the last minute.

winyl
10-06-2016, 12:24 PM
I think Aeoliso, but don't remember for sure, said Asus is using LG lipo batteries in G laptops or in all laptops, and these last a tad bit shorter than Samsung or Panasonic cells. So LG cells are lesser quality it would seem.
I also had G751jy battery pack die on me last weekend,after one and half year use,almost all the time used on power brick, 42 cycles on batter. NICE.

In my G752vy battery report all fields for batter capacity are empty :eek:. What the...?

BlakLanner
10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
G751JT

Designed Capacity: 90000 mWh
Fully Charged Capacity: 50565 mWh
Wear Level: 43%

Battery capacity history shows that it was capable of 79168 mWh just a month ago.
Battery won't charge beyond 83%. I think I have a big problem. The laptop isn't 2 years old yet.

warryabel
10-07-2016, 04:54 PM
we are not representative...this is my meaning. asus give a sh.t on us
mfg