PDA

View Full Version : GL752VW 8GB RAM upgrade help (compatibility)

Warzy
02-04-2016, 05:44 PM
I recently bought an ROG GL752VW laptop - the 8GB RAM model (only one available to me in the store). I saw that it is able to be upgraded to 32GB of RAM so I thought i'd start at adding an 8GB stick I purchased off of Newegg.

I bought the: Kingston 8GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model KVR21S15D8/8

Link: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Kingston+8GB+260-Pin+DDR4+SO-DIMM+DDR4+2133+%28PC4+17000%29+Laptop+Memory+Model +KVR21S15D8%2F8&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I did some brief research and I thought that this RAM would be compatible.. turns out when I installed it in the #2 slot of the laptop, windows wouldn't boot up.. all I got was a black screen and nothing else. I took it out and the computer booted up fine. I updated to the latest ASUS bios and tried reinstalling the ram with the same black screen and no boot results. I browsed a few forums and figured that what I bought was incompatible with my machine. I then returned the product back to Newegg subject to restocking fee.

I'm currently looking at the: HyperX Impact 8GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model HX421S13IB/8

Link: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104585

I'm wondering if this would be plug and play compatible with my machine. I don't want to purchase this and have it shipped just to find out its not compatible again.

As of trying to get the exact same model of RAM that is pre-installed in my machine: SK hynix 8GB SODIMM ; Max Bandwidth = DDR4-2133 (1066 MHz) Part Number = HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF, I can't seem to find it on the web from a reputable retailer that is based, or ships to Canada (where I live)... so that doesn't seem like an option right now.

In conclusion, I'm looking for some advice on a compatible stick of 8GB RAM to purchase and install, whether it be a new suggestion or confirmation that the one I'm currently looking at will work. Also, if there are any extra steps other than just plug and play to get my machine booted once new memory is installed. I'm still not sure why the original stick I bought wasn't compatible and wouldn't allow my machine to boot up.

Thanks!

Clintlgm
02-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Yes you'll need to match up the Voltage and timing. You can find what you have installed already with Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) you'll see what you have where they are install and you will match the voltages and timing exactly
See this sticky thread on the subject of upgrading RAM https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53752-1-35V-memory-required-in-G751-G771-G551s-(same-as-G750)

Warzy
02-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Yes as in the RAM I'm looking at currently will work and my machine will boot up so I can match everything?

Clintlgm
02-04-2016, 09:17 PM
match what yours is running and it will work 55344 This is what my desktop looks like. Have a look at yours and match to be compatible with the RAM you have already

pigulici
02-04-2016, 09:20 PM
So I just get 2x 8GB Corsair(2133MHz, CL15, CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15), they have same RAS/CAS like original, 15-15-15-36, only the brand it is other(Samsung for original module), put in it, my g752vy come only with 1x8GB, and after add those 2, puff, like others, my laptop now start in more than 30s, with only the original stick, 6-8s, so I will return the Corsair for now, but I think the bios it is not mature in all g752V...

Clintlgm
02-04-2016, 09:29 PM
RAM is not going to make you notebook run faster, If you want fast boot put in a good SSD, If you only have 1 8 GB stick your not running dual channel so putting it 16 GB more at least those 2 sticks will run dual channel even so not much noticeable increase in speed
Yes these notebooks have only been out for a couple of months. your is GL752 far different than a G752 Asus has always been tight with options in there notebook BIOS setting.

Warzy
02-04-2016, 10:22 PM
How do I match the specs of the RAM I want to purchase with the RAM I currently have when my machine won't boot up with the new ram installed? (Might have to talk me through this). Im tech savvy when it comes to most things but not hardware installations unfortunately.

Clintlgm
02-04-2016, 10:43 PM
can you post your set up like the one I posted for you

Warzy
02-04-2016, 11:37 PM

Warzy
02-05-2016, 05:01 AM
I posted a picture of my setup above.

Clintlgm
02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
So yes you need to find DDR4-2132 / PC$-17000 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM with Timings 15 15 15 36 at 1.2 Volts. The one in your notebook RAS 36 Running at 1066 MHz Single Channel. So the Corsair sticks you bought should have worked unless the voltage was wrong? or one or both were defective? See Justin comments on Corsair RAM http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82831-RAM-of-different-brands
It is very unfortunate that they put a single 8 GB Stick in one of the slots that you can not access. However by matching this with 2 new sticks in the 2 slots that you have access to will run in Dual Channel. The good news is that 16GB in more than enough for almost all purposes. The exception would be running multiple Virtual Machines.
Now then as to speeding up your notebook. I see that you do not have an SSD you only have a 1TB spinner. To see a big difference in performance install a SSD and you will be amazed.

pigulici
02-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't think it is anything than sodimm ddr4 at 1.2v, at least at 2133mhz, yes I replaced that hdd with a 512gb ssd samsung 830(I haved from last laptop)...

Clintlgm
02-05-2016, 03:48 PM
So yes it seem that corsair RAM are having issues with these notebooks not playing well with the stock Samsung RAM, as per other post I would just try another brand If the Corsair don't work.

Warzy
02-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Any recommendations on an SSD drive that I can purchase and install? I'm assuming those are not just plug and play. As for the RAM installation, the two slots I have available have the 1 Samsung 8gb stick installed and then an empty port above it.

Warzy
02-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Keep in mind, you're answering questions from another user in this thread ... I just need to know if the link to the RAM stick I posted will work, allow my machine to boot up, and how to change the timings so everything works. Thanks!

Clintlgm
02-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Well then you can only add 1 8GB stick that matches the one you have. the other 2 slots are not accessible.

it looks to me that you have 2 empty RAM slots available to me??? at least in this picture? and an empty M.2 SSD slot open

If your not concerned about the cost buy 2 sticks that you like and install them they will run in dual mode and you pretty much don't need to worry about timings. Your user manual has several pages of specific brands and models of RAM that are tested and approved to run in your notebook.

As to SSD I would put in a M.2 SSD you'll have to determine if your Mother Board it set up for SATA or NVME it seem both Mother board have been installed in the GL752 there is a whole thread on nothing but M.2 SSD for Gl752 somewhere I would link it but don't have time this morning to find it for you you might MP cl-albert I believe he solved the issue or was researching it with in Asus.

Warzy
02-09-2016, 04:26 PM
See that's the thing, my notebook didn't come with a user manual other than a quick start guide. I also can't find an online version that has any good information in it either. So, if I were to buy two of the hyperex 8gbx2 sticks that I posted a link for on the first page.. Everything should run smooth? When I took out the original Samsung stick and just put in the Kingston stick I bought online in, the computer wouldn't boot up.

Warzy
02-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Also, it is just one available ram slot. One ram port on top of the other.

Clintlgm
02-09-2016, 06:57 PM
OK Kingston reports these will work in your notebook (http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=3&Mfr=ASU&Line=GL752%20Notebook&Model=94109&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_for_ASU_GL752 _Notebook_ASUS/ASmobile_-_GL752_Notebook_GL752VW)

G Skill report these should work (http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=33&series=0&prop_15=0&prop_67=0&prop_16=0&prop_17=0&prop_18=15-15-15-36&prop_19=0)

Instead of lookin on vendor sites go to the manufactures page and enter your notebook for what they are producing that will work in your notebook.

I don't recommend any brand My notebook is working fine with the OEM RAM that it came with.

Warzy
02-11-2016, 02:44 AM
I appreciate all the help, ill be buying the G skill stick as the Kingston one is the same one I had already purchased and it wasn't compatible.

Clintlgm
02-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes get two stick matching pair, pull the one you already have. then you should have no issues. Your just screwed for the two slots under your keyboard. Unless you get a authorized repair shop to install them as dissemble is required. Several people here have had good luck with the G Skills.

nandodean
02-11-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm buying shortly the Kingston HYPERX DDR4 2133mhz SODIMM 8GB for the GL752 also. We'll see if it works. Hope it's a plug n play.

Exact model: HX421S13IB/8

Warzy
02-11-2016, 10:55 PM
That model doesn't come with the 15-15-15-36 timings ... If that makes any difference

Clintlgm
02-11-2016, 11:53 PM
It might if you buy 2 of them, if your trying to make it work with the current 8 GB you already have in there NO it won't work Yes timing and voltages being the same are the minimum you have to match to get them to work together in dual channel mode or even, get it to work.

nandodean
02-12-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm buying shortly the Kingston HYPERX DDR4 2133mhz SODIMM 8GB for the GL752 also. We'll see if it works. Hope it's a plug n play.

Exact model: HX421S13IB/8

It might if you buy 2 of them, if your trying to make it work with the current 8 GB you already have in there NO it won't work Yes timing and voltages being the same are the minimum you have to match to get them to work together in dual channel mode or even, get it to work.

So it won't work the original 8gb ram with the one I am quoting? Any specific reason? Do I need to get two identical rams to upgrade the laptop? Isn't there any other sodimm card that matches my laptop without the need of buying 2 cards in a row?
Thanks!

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Your only 100% guarantee is to buy either the same stick that is already in there or replace with matching kits. Kingston is notorious for not working with any other RAM and half the time not even with other Kingston RAM. People jump on it because its cheap, well you get what you pay for. Even Corsair doesn't play nice with other RAM and at one point it was Corsair or go home, they have lost that claim!

Gskill has proven to be one of the better choices for working with factory RAM.

nandodean
02-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Your only 100% guarantee is to buy either the same stick that is already in there or replace with matching kits. Kingston is notorious for not working with any other RAM and half the time not even with other Kingston RAM. People jump on it because its cheap, well you get what you pay for. Even Corsair doesn't play nice with other RAM and at one point it was Corsair or go home, they have lost that claim!

Gskill has proven to be one of the better choices for working with factory RAM.

Thanks for the advice. I've found exactly the same RAM that is built up on the GL752 and I think also on the 552;

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(1x8gb)-hynix-ddr4-so-dimm-laptop-memory-pc4-17000-(2133)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-15-15-12v

This one should definitely work

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 05:26 PM
If its an exact match it will work, no worries. If it doesnt either the stick is faulty or the socket/controller.
This has been a dilemma ever since PCs were invented of mixing RAM. Its hit or miss even with all the timings matching. Thing with these laptops is there are no memory settings in the BIOS it does and SPD detect and by default will set everything to the slowest stick with the longest latency. One little this is off and it wont even boot.

Warzy
02-12-2016, 10:16 PM
I can't find any identical ram that is a trusted retailer and ships to Canada. So I'm trying to find something that works.

Clintlgm
02-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Well I got an idea, look for someone that has purchased the same notebook you did, one of you buy a match set of G Skill 16 16 16 36 1.2 V and sell the single 8 Gb. If you want to upgrade to 16 GB RAM you going to have to bite the bullet and buy a matched pair of 8GB sticks

Warzy
02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Still waiting for the RAM I ordered to arrive... if it doesn't run with the original stick ill be buying another stick of the same brand and replace the stock stick. In other news, I've been browsing the SSD forums here for my GL752VW laptop and it looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=cm_sw_su_dp SSD drive will be compatible. Any suggestions or concerns with this SSD being slipped into the open slot? I'm not sure if SSDs are plug and play or if i need to go through more steps.

Warzy
02-19-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm happy to report that the G Skill stick you recommended works great! It plays well with the original stick! It just came in today and it was plug and play dual channel! I appreciate all the help, thanks!

nandodean
02-19-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm happy to report that the G Skill stick you recommended works great! It plays well with the original stick! It just came in today and it was plug and play dual channel! I appreciate all the help, thanks!

I can confirm the SSD you linked goes smooth on the GL752, I'm on it right now. Plug, get to windows, clone HDD to the SSD with Macrium Tool or equivalent, turn off, start windows by the SSD, format HDD. There're plenty of threads for the GL552, you can follow the same steps.

Would you link the RAM you are talking about? Really interested on that! Thanks

Warzy
02-20-2016, 09:34 PM
This is the RAM I purchased that is plug and play with the stock ram:
http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=33&series=0&prop_15=0&prop_67=0&prop_16=0&prop_17=0&prop_18=15-15-15-36&prop_19=0
I bought the single 8GB 'RIPJAWS' stick and popped it into the #2 slot in the back, instantly booted up and was recognized.
As for the retailer, I just copy and pasted the product code of the RAM into Newegg.com's search engine and bought it from there.

As for the SSD I linked, thanks for the confirmation that it works... How come most threats are warning against buying that one saying "SATA" isn't great? Also, did you get the 250gb model or larger? Thanks.

nandodean
02-21-2016, 10:44 AM
This is the RAM I purchased that is plug and play with the stock ram:
http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=33&series=0&prop_15=0&prop_67=0&prop_16=0&prop_17=0&prop_18=15-15-15-36&prop_19=0
I bought the single 8GB 'RIPJAWS' stick and popped it into the #2 slot in the back, instantly booted up and was recognized.
As for the retailer, I just copy and pasted the product code of the RAM into Newegg.com's search engine and bought it from there.

As for the SSD I linked, thanks for the confirmation that it works... How come most threats are warning against buying that one saying "SATA" isn't great? Also, did you get the 250gb model or larger? Thanks.

Thank you so much.

As for the SSD; there was a lot of uncertainty because this GL552 & 752 models were just released one or two months ago, and asus was changing even the users manual on the issue of the compatible protocol of the M.2 bay. Some said PCIE, some other SATA, even some others said NVME. Finally we can confirm this bay works perfectly fine with SATA3. Maybe it's not the optimal connection, but it's giving an amazing speed, at least for me. I chose the 256GB model (it ends being 232 real GB). Be aware with this as it's been told somewhere that this bay only supports SSD up to 250GB, maybe the 512gb model does not work. You could research a bit, don't know if it's been discussed before

Warzy
02-21-2016, 09:03 PM
The Asus FAQ for the GL752VW says

What type of M.2 SSD does GL752 series support in North America?

US version GL752 series support SATA3

Canada version GL752 series support PCIE Gen3x4

I live in Canada.. Does that mean it will only support PCIE? Why do they have to be difficult like that?

nandodean
02-22-2016, 10:35 AM
The Asus FAQ for the GL752VW says

What type of M.2 SSD does GL752 series support in North America?

US version GL752 series support SATA3

Canada version GL752 series support PCIE Gen3x4

I live in Canada.. Does that mean it will only support PCIE? Why do they have to be difficult like that?

I'm pretty sure it only supports SATA3 no matter the region. Anyway, there's nothing sure in life but death so... Maybe you can get one from a store with a nice returns policy and do the test

pigulici
02-28-2016, 07:28 AM
As RAM upgrade, finally I found 2 x8gb ddr4, same part number as original 8gb inside(Samsung), work ok(funny that was 30% more cheap than the first pair of Corsair I tested)...

CerealKillerGuy
05-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Ok, i just got the RAM I ordered, 2x8GB Corsaire Value select (exact model number: CMSO16GX4M2A2133C15) Can confirm it works well, no problems at all.