PDA

View Full Version : PETITION: ASUS, please allow RAID console for G752xx users!

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Since the G752xx came out with 2 x m.2 slot and RAID option is already available in chipset BIOS menů, also compatible with UEFI boot, could be possible with next BIOS release to enable RAID console in order to mount 2 m.2 SSD and configure them in RAID 0 or 1?

Otot
02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Signed

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 08:46 PM
No Thanks, Im happy with an M2 NVMe without raid.

wy666
02-08-2016, 09:10 PM
What is RAID and what does that do ? Better speed transfer between drives or what ?

karl6774
02-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Since the G752xx came out with 2 x m.2 slot and RAID option is already available in chipset BIOS menů, also compatible with UEFI boot, could be possible with next BIOS release to enable RAID console in order to mount 2 m.2 SSD and configure them in RAID 0 or 1?

firmato

karl6774
02-08-2016, 09:17 PM
No Thanks, Im happy with an M2 NVMe without raid.

so if you're happy because you posted ?

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 09:22 PM
so if you're happy because you posted ?
JustinThyme "just" replied here continung our discussion started in another thread ;)

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 09:25 PM
What is RAID and what does that do ? Better speed transfer between drives or what ?

Absolutely yes, according to the RAID 0 concept. Half data transfer to #1 disk and half to #2 disk. Same size of file = half of transfer time. RAID 1 instead is a continuous-shadow-copy of your disk to another one, avoiding disaster.

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Absolutely yes, according to the RAID 0 concept. Half data transfer to #1 disk and half to #2 disk. Same size of file = half of transfer time. RAID 1 instead is a continuous-shadow-copy of your disk to another one, avoiding disaster.

If you dive a bit deeper you will see that while the speeds are increased its not as it would seem. Currently the NVMe platform in raid peaks at 3.5GB/s with 3 drives in raid 0. Single drive=2.5GB/s. 2 in raid 0=3.0GB/s 3 or more in raid 0 =3.5GB/s.

You will never get half the time or double the speed, however you want to look at it its not going to make 5.0GB/s with the current technology as the DMI link saturates at 3.5GBs The only real perceived gain would be reduced latency.

The downside for those who are not familiar with raid, one drive fails all the data is lost on all drives in that array. I run raid 0+1 on my desktop machines where i can get sufficient drives. That gives me the benefit of the speed with the redundancy.

On these drives I find it a bit ludicrous. In a shot time we have gone from 120MBPS of a spinner to 500MBPS for a SATAIII SSD to 2500MBPS for M2 SSD. IMO another increase from 2500 to 3000 with the risk of losing all the data is a pointless proposition.

wpeters
02-09-2016, 12:21 AM
"The downside for those who are not familiar with raid, one drive fails all the data is lost on all drives in that array"

Isn't that the case for any drive, if you lose the drive you lose the data. All you are doing is making the equivalent of a larger and faster single drive by raiding two or more drives. As with any drive just make sure you have a backup. Or am I missing something?

W.

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 12:30 AM
"The downside for those who are not familiar with raid, one drive fails all the data is lost on all drives in that array"

Isn't that the case for any drive, if you lose the drive you lose the data. All you are doing is making the equivalent of a larger and faster single drive by raiding two or more drives. As with any drive just make sure you have a backup. Or am I missing something?

W.

Not missing anything. Over the years I've seen more than one person not realize that they could not recover from a raid 0 with a single drive failure regardless of how many drives you have in raid 0. Just wanted to make that point clear. That's why I lead off with "for those not familiar with raid" For those who are familiar they know this and also know that 0+1 uses double the drives for the same space but if you lose one drive you simply replace it and lose nothing.

wpeters
02-09-2016, 12:37 AM
I think you have seen that video of the 2 guys that did the demo of 3 Samsung Pro 512GB drives using a desktop mother board. I think its worth trying since the actual speed is higher due the reduced latency effect. As far as I can see it should be working so why no ask them to get it working properly.

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 03:00 AM
My honest opinion?
Id rather see the other issues with the BIOS across all the models sorted. Raid is not working at all, simply as a means to an end for NVMe to be possible through use of the controller, its nowhere to be found in the spec sheet anywhere and I thinks its a bit arbitrary to start demanding something that was not even bought just because people saw the word raid in the BIOS and in the device manager. I wouldn't be at all surprised that when they get it sorted the word raid will no longer be seen in the BIOS at all. Dont forget that Samsung does not support OEM drives whether it be drivers or software. In that same sense the drives that they do offer driver and software support for are not available for OEM.

Besides all that have you read the crap in the sticky where they announced a Gsync upgrade is on the horizon. People in there acting like idiots. They went back on something they didn't have to as it was not spec'd in those machines when they bought them, no argument to be made. So they offer them an upgrade for $100 and thats not good enough. People insisting on things they know nothing about and demanding an update on their own terms. Gotta tell you, if I worked for ASUS I would pull the plug on that project so fast it would be history before it got off the ground. Bottom line, people insisting on getting something that was not spec'd out and they did not pay for. Then someone starts with raid is a sure way to guarantee it will never happen with this model.

match88
02-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Asus please quickly made RAID0 workable,such expensive high end moder no Raid l
which l cant accepted.

EttoreA
02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Yes, RAID features fully working.
This is not because I may use it in the short time or remote future; it's just because is up to me whether I elect to use it or not, not to ASUS.

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Asus please quickly made RAID0 workable,such expensive high end moder no Raid l
which l cant accepted.

Yes, RAID features fully working.
This is not because I may use it in the short time or remote future; it's just because is up to me whether I elect to use it or not, not to ASUS.

And the onslaught of the uninformed begins.....

Please kindly direct me to the place in your manual or spec sheet that says RAID is included and fully supported on any G752 Model.

EttoreA
02-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Why should we ? While you're undoubtedly one of an helper user, I didn't request anything to you this time.
As far as I can understand this petition is to ASUS - whether they ever watch this forum out - not to you, so I'm not sure what the heck I have to show you.

At any rate, 2 x M2 slots, BIOS stuck in RAID mode then logically to expect all RAID modes were working, No?
Manual ? Got it read just after machine purchased.

I'm answering just for courtesy.

Dr4g0n36
02-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Guys, first it's insane to ask for raid 0 and not raid 1 because are the same thing, one comes with the other. Then, all of you forgot the "third" option that's in my interest to add, JBOD. Windows cant do software raid with OS disk, but raid can and this is what i want for my 2 future m.2

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Why should we ? While you're undoubtedly one of an helper user, I didn't request anything to you this time.
As far as I can understand this petition is to ASUS - whether they ever watch this forum out - not to you, so I'm not sure what the heck I have to show you.

At any rate, 2 x M2 slots, BIOS stuck in RAID mode then logically to expect all RAID modes were working, No?
Manual ? Got it read just after machine purchased.

I'm answering just for courtesy.

This is an internet forum open for discussion. Thanks for your input. I was simply asking to see something that warrants a comment thats its up to the individual user to decide if they want to use a feature that I cant find in the specs anywhere. Maybe Im blind, wouldnt be the first time I overlooked something. Please help me by showing me where it says the G752 series includes raid support.

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Guys, first it's insane to ask for raid 0 and not raid 1 because are the same thing, one comes with the other. Then, all of you forgot the "third" option that's in my interest to add, JBOD. Windows cant do software raid with OS disk, but raid can and this is what i want for my 2 future m.2

There is nothing wrong with asking, however, just as I suspected this has already turned into demanding something that was never spec'd.

Dr4g0n36
02-09-2016, 07:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with asking, however, just as I suspected this has already turned into demanding something that was never spec'd.
Like G-SYNC for 751 models :D
This is an easy upgradable technology and can be easily inserted in our models, i'm just asking instead of sit back and watch. if ASUS technician can do it, better for all of us, who's interested and who's not.

JustinThyme
02-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Like G-SYNC for 751 models :D

Precisely. :rolleyes:

EttoreA
02-09-2016, 07:38 PM
... if ASUS technician can do it, better for all of us, who's interested and who's not.
That's why I support your petition :)
I have G752VY and sure it's a wonderful machine, I'm more than happy with it ... however if might be better, why not ?

MrRuckus
02-10-2016, 01:27 AM

W.

The one thing you're missing is you are adding one more point of failure with RAID 0. It's true that if a single drive in RAID 0 fails you also loose all your data, but you also have 2 drives that can fail instead of one. 3 drives adds another point of failure, ect. Personally I think RAID 0 on an NVMe platform is pointless because you are already running at 3x the speed of a nice SSD and are approaching the saturation point of the Bus as JustinThyme pointed out. Going from a spinner HDD to an SSD, the difference was very noticeable. Would you see the difference from a NVMe to NVMe RAID? Unless you are passing 100GB files day in and day out off your NVMe drive, I highly doubt it. I noticed only a slight difference going from my 840 EVO in my desktop to the NVMe setup. Boot times are about the same between them.

One reason I personally would LIKE to see RAID added, is because while the specs never mention RAID, they also never specify that the 512GB models has two 256GB drives. I think THAT should be specified in the build sheet. While Asus is delivering on the 512GB, it leaves a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth for a laptop that costs $3100 currently. I would have been pissed to receive that being that you then have to have 2 separate drive's for the 512GB. RAID would also be nice because we know the platform is capable of it. If they could give a technical reason to leave it out, then great. But a reason why not would be awesome. Seeing as previous G series laptops were RAID capable. People do that as well, which is assume. Assume this generation will have just as the previous did. I know you shouldn't, but people do.

JustinThyme
02-10-2016, 02:18 AM
I can't agree with you more Mr Ruckus on the 2x256GB drives to fill the 512GB requirement. It would be acceptable if 256 is all that's available. While they did provide 512GB and technically they met their spec it should have been expressed how it was being done. Raid doesn't bother me with that proposition. What does is if you choose to add a 512GB M2 you have loose 256GB of what you had which puts you in the same boat as someone like me who paid for 256 and not 512.

dookooo
02-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Signed .. I am supporting your petition :)

Dr4g0n36
03-17-2016, 02:21 AM
With lastest BIOS (214) we are finally able to enable raid an raid mode. Yieppie!

EttoreA
03-17-2016, 01:14 PM
BIOS (214) for which one variant ? G752VY ? I'm still stuck to 211, I think.

Dr4g0n36
03-17-2016, 02:32 PM
bios (214) for which one variant ? G752vy ? I'm still stuck to 211, i think.

g752vt

EttoreA
03-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Ah, thanks man!