PDA

View Full Version : G751JY CPU getting 90C+ don't know what else to do...

Exostenza
02-11-2016, 10:35 PM
I recently discovered that my CPU was hitting about 97c while playing games even while using the CPU profile by NitroX in Notebook Fan Control. Today I went out and got some Noctua thermal paste, disassembled the laptop, cleaned it out and changed all of the thermal paste. It took my temperatures down a couple degrees but I am still hitting 90C. What else can I do? I don't have any warranty left unfortunately as I was absent minded and forgot to buy the extended warranty.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

antoine52200
02-11-2016, 10:56 PM
You should use intel xtu, and undervolt as much as possible your cpu. this will lower your temps for sure!

Exostenza
02-11-2016, 11:45 PM
I should have specified this is when gaming (specifically Fallout 4) and when I am just stressing the CPU on its own it only gets to around 76C. How much could I undervolt without affecting stability or lowering the max frequency. I have only ever overclocked and never undervolted.

Saipher
02-12-2016, 06:32 AM
I am on G751JY with 4720HQ. I have max undervolt that XTU allows, 90mV and 100mv, Core and Cache Voltage Offset, respectively. So far, 3 days of normal daily work use (but no gaming) and no stability issues. Also a couple of short stress tests with XTU. But as you know, it can vary with each CPU, so take those up (or rather "down" :) ) step by step.

NitroX
02-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Ok, so as Saipher told you, every CPU is different. I also used max undervolt on my 4710HQ (-90mv cache/-100mv core) and it has been stable for like 1-2 months, until I installed Crysis 3. While playing Crysis 3 I've seen the first stability issues, meaning the laptop has just shutting down suddenly. Now, another stability issue that was occurring but to which I didn't pay attention was the short freezez during normal usage (for example, the system may not restart but you can notice a weird behavior while playing multimedia content, like freezez during music or video playback).

As a general reference point, many guys use the -70mv/-70mv as a stable value. I personally used -80mv/-80mv as stable for almost 1 year, but now the difference in CPUs comes into the game. I think that you can start with -70mv/-70mv make some stability tests and from there you can see how much lower you can go by decreasing in -5mv increments. So if -70mv/-70mv is stable then go to -75mv/-75mv, then -80mv/-80mv and so on.

I personally recommend a maximum of -80mv/-80mv because from that point on the differences in heat temperature aren't really that noticeable and you're going to waste a lot of time doing stability tests...

So, this was for the Undervolt part, but you can also do something else to lower your CPU temps without affecting performance. This is called "Setting processor Affinity" for the game that you are playing. So what happens is that most games aren't using the hyperthreaded cores of the CPU, so they basically use only the 4 physical cores. What you can do with processor Affinity is to set your game to use only those 4 Physical Cores, which in turn will reduce heat production while gaming. More info over here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-34x&p=465178&viewfull=1#post465178
Note: If you do notice a decrease in game performance then the game might need the extra hyperthreaded cores.

Edit: Srry I just saw you are already using the NBFC profile. But just make sure you have it enabled. Another option, besides Undervolting and setting Affinity, is to use NotebookFanController which takes control over your CPU fan and makes it more aggressive. A lot more info over here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58501-Making-of-quot-Official-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Profile-quot&highlight=NBFC

Last option, and one of the best to reduce temperature, is to let go of some performance while playing the intense CPU games. Like, when I was playing AC Unity I actually lowered the clock to use x33multiplier while using 3/4 cores. This has lowered the temps with like 5-7C on average and tbh I didn't notice any performance loss. But the performance hit may vary from game to game. Just keep in mind that not all games need the 3500Mhz frequency to get the best performance. Some of them are using only 30-40% of the CPU's potential. So lowering the clocks will reduce heat while giving the same gaming performance. You can check the CPU usage while playing a specific game with MSI Afterburner On-Screen-DIsplay.

insiZion1
02-12-2016, 03:32 PM
You could make a custom powerplan and set your maximum processor state to 99% instead. I run all my games on full with maximum temps of around 75ish. I know your not using the full power of your laptop but then no games really require it. bf4 maxed fallout maxed witcher all run sweet. I hope by doing this I can increase the longevity of my machine.

All the best

Exostenza
02-13-2016, 04:06 AM
I appreciate everyone's responses. I might look into undervolting. Also, after the new paste had some time to heat up and then set overnight I was able to get better temps. Before the past job my CPU temperature was consistently hitting 97C during Fallout 4 sessions and now it never goes over 86C! That is by far the best heat reduction I have ever got from a repaste job. The dissasembly was quite daunting even for a seasoned hardware enthusiast although it was really worth the effort.