PDA

View Full Version : G752VY with magical 8 second boot time?

Kidfisto
02-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Hi guys,

my first post here. I have Asus G752VY notebook, and yesterday I followed the Windows 10 proper GPT install tutorial, but I am not seeing any
improvements on my boot time. I have fast boot enabled, secure boot also enabled, BIOS version 206.
Could it be that 256GB ssd is slower?

Specs:
i7-6700
GTX 980m
256 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

Thanks,

navis995
02-12-2016, 10:30 AM
How much does it take to boot?

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Probably 8.001 seconds.
I'm not getting all the hoopla over instaboot and people spending countless hours either trying to have instant on or bricking their machines in the process of doing it then blaming it on ASUS.

If you are to the login screen in less than 30 seconds you are at 1000% improvement over WinXP and a 5400rpm spinner. One thing to note, if you leave it be and quit screwing around with everything it actually does get faster over time.

There are lots of tweaks that are used for folks genuinely having slow boots, when I say slow Im talking a minute or more. You can first trim out start up items. I do this anyhow as I dont need Nvidia update running in the background or M$ one drive. etc. I remove what I dont need everything you remove is one less thing to load. Also in services if you have some that are unnecessary you can disable them, this one is tricky though because if you disable the wrong ones things wont work. Aside from disabling you can right click on slow loading servies and do a delayed start but WTF good is that? Just so you can get to the login screen 300mS faster? It still has to load and will leave you looking at the wait symbol on your desktop.

My recommendation is if its not broke, don't mess with it other than thinning out unnecessary start up items as too many things running in the background hurts performance.

Mine is pretty fast on the boot but nowhere near 8 seconds, more like 15.

Clintlgm
02-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Yea mine too, I'm at login in @ about 12 seconds. I have fast boot and fast start up turned off. Log on and 8 gadget pack running 4 gadgets takes me another 20 seconds. with out the Gadgets probably full desktop in another 5 seconds. that's fast. The problem with fast startup in you can't get a clean complete shutdown when you need one and will find your self sooner or later in a loop that won't full boot and keeps restarting. Hybrid sleep is still sleep or Hibernate. You end up needing a full shut down no mater what every now and then anyway

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Ive had no issues with a complete shut down with fast start enabled or disabled. Do it every single time. I don't do sleep or hibernate, a bit pointless when you can boot in 15 seconds. They are set to never in the power profile as is everything except I do let the power profile turn the display off after 15 mins. All SSDs in my machines so no point in turning the power off there, its actually counter productive. Hibernate and sleep were good back in the day of the guaranteed 2 min boot times on 5400 rpm spinners.

cdma2k
02-12-2016, 08:00 PM
hibernate is a very useful and power saving feature, use it everyday
It saves time to set up working environments if one has complicated working envirments, no need to set it up again after power on
it saves power when it hibernates

navis995
02-13-2016, 01:02 AM
You have to pay in mind not every SSD (Even with same speeds) will boot the same.
Mine for example (Samsung Evo 840 250GB) takes about 7 seconds.
Some's takes only half of that, then again someone else's takes 10.

It is like GPU/CPU silicon lottery. Some people can overclock crazy high, others cannot even with everything being absolutely the same.

If you have around 10s boot time it is an improvement. If not in boot then everywhere else. If you're not satisfied with the result do as the guys above me said.

Disable unnecessary programs at boot. Delete the programs that you don't use. Other than that enjoy the wonders of SSD.

Kidfisto
02-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Hi,

My boot time is 12-15seconds.
I usually do not care about this things like this boot time issue (comes with age), but in this case I have good reasons for nagging and wanting my new notebook to reach this 8 second time.
1. Original reason is my concern whether I did the MBR->GPT conversion correctly described in a Guide here on the forums. There were no improvements
after fresh windows install, so I thought that I could not follow a simple guide.
2. Paying almost double the price of my friends NB which is Acer nitro V17 (1000€), he gets 8 second boot time. I have seen Asus G751's getting also
8 seconds on youtube. SO it is for me natural when I already decided to do the conversion and pay that sum of money to research the hell out of it on how can I make
it faster.

@justin your comparison has actually nothing constructive to do with this example because you are comparing brand new hardware with Windows XP and 5400???
Not starting an argument here.

Cheers,

maf23
02-13-2016, 01:28 PM
May be stating the obvious here, but have you reordered the start-up devices in your bios? Bypassing the checks for DVD's and such will save a few seconds for sure.

JOHATASH
02-13-2016, 02:12 PM
My boot time is 7.2 seconds.

warryabel
02-13-2016, 02:17 PM
maybe on batteryplan...? shutdown autostarts...espacially northon etc...

Clintlgm
02-13-2016, 03:19 PM
@kidfisto you may not know this but some of these are shipping with only spinners no SSD from the manufacture at all. Even with WD Blacks boot times would be close to a minute so then you would want to use windows fast boot, with SSD it more or less useless and whether you boot in 8 seconds or 15 seconds so what it hasn't been that long since 1 minute boots were considered fast.

Julskey
02-13-2016, 04:06 PM
What's the difference between 8 seconds from 18 seconds boot time? 10 seconds, hehehe. I mean, you are not like a photographer needing faster boot times for capturing that Pulitzer prize picture. This is not a drag race. Sure, other laptops have faster boot times and that is because they don't have bios anymore. BIOS is already dead, they have been replaced with UEFI. But i'm glad asus ROG still have like a BIOS emulation of UEFI (because i'm used to bios). BIOS is what actually makes booting times take so long (in my primitive understanding).

Currently, I have a G752VT bios 213 with 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO ssd and my boot time is about 18 seconds (14 seconds in bios205). I'm currently satisfied with it. I hope it will greatly improve when I upgrade to m.2 ssd.

cdma2k
02-13-2016, 10:30 PM
I guess kidfisto wants to know how he/she can get faster boot time,
not the answers like what the difference between 8 secs and 18 secs, I'm satisfied with current boot time ...etc

if 2 people pay 100+k to buy a porsche each, one's can do 0-60 3.6 secs, the other's best is 4.6 secs, it is reasonable for the latter to ask why.

Clintlgm
02-13-2016, 11:44 PM
Owner one is better at tuning his Porsche.:cool:

Julskey
02-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Well then, he may be right in his original post. No two laptops are created equal. They dont come with exactly the same components, and etc. it may be that the ssd hes stuck with is slower. Or he may just need some fine tuning as clintlgm puts it. Happy valentines sunday.

cdma2k
02-14-2016, 12:14 AM
is owner one female and single? :)

JustinThyme
02-14-2016, 02:00 AM
Hi,

My boot time is 12-15seconds.
I usually do not care about this things like this boot time issue (comes with age), but in this case I have good reasons for nagging and wanting my new notebook to reach this 8 second time.
1. Original reason is my concern whether I did the MBR->GPT conversion correctly described in a Guide here on the forums. There were no improvements
after fresh windows install, so I thought that I could not follow a simple guide.
2. Paying almost double the price of my friends NB which is Acer nitro V17 (1000€), he gets 8 second boot time. I have seen Asus G751's getting also
8 seconds on youtube. SO it is for me natural when I already decided to do the conversion and pay that sum of money to research the hell out of it on how can I make
it faster.

@justin your comparison has actually nothing constructive to do with this example because you are comparing brand new hardware with Windows XP and 5400???
Not starting an argument here.

Cheers,
Sorry but my comparison has everything to do with it. If you cant see why then I wont bother to explain it. Personally I find it quite a spectacle over a 12-15 second boot time complaining that this is too slow because someone else got 8 seconds on an Acer. My G74sx with a SATA SSD gets about 7-8 seconds to log in but it wont even come close to the performance of the G752VY booted in safe mode.

I could get 8 seconds to login if I wanted to by simply going into the services menu and set everything to delayed start but what good does that do other than getting to he log in screen faster? It would still take just as much time to get to desktop and ready to launch. Does your friends Acer kick your butt in firestrike scores or any other performance benchmark? FRom what Ive seen the acer falls short of 4000 where a G752VY out of the box tops 8300 with ease and tops 8600 with a few minor tweaks. Performance should be the concern, boot time has pretty much nothing to do with that.
As for the car comparison. Which will win off the line if you had two cars, everything identical except one with turbo and one nitrous, if you had to jump off the line without letting the boost PSI in the turbo build first......ie load boot parameters? All other things being equal, the turbo will lose in that scenario every time.

Kidfisto
02-14-2016, 08:42 AM
I guess kidfisto wants to know how he/she can get faster boot time,
not the answers like what the difference between 8 secs and 18 secs, I'm satisfied with current boot time ...etc

if 2 people pay 100+k to buy a porsche each, one's can do 0-60 3.6 secs, the other's best is 4.6 secs, it is reasonable for the latter to ask why.

Finally someone that gets me...

JustinThyme
02-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Finally someone that gets me...

LMAO!!!!!!

We all get you, maybe more than you get yourself. Bottom line is if you are hell bent on an 8 second boot time and dont care about actual performance maybe save yourself some $$ and return the actual performer for a cheap Acer that will lock up playing minesweeper but boots in 8 seconds.

Going back to the car analogy this is not like complaining of 0-60 times but more like whining that one takes the starter motor 26 revolutions to start the engine while another can do it in 20 revolutions. Bottom line......pointless.

JustinThyme
02-14-2016, 02:33 PM
My boot time is 7.2 seconds.

I just got you! I made my boot basically 1 step past safe mode and I can now boot in 7.19999965013476 seconds!

Wemser
02-24-2016, 10:14 PM
This discussion has turned on the subject wether or not someone is allowed complain about 18 seconds start-time compared to 8.

I don't think that's what it is about.

In my case, my laptop is also taking longer to boot than my 4 year old laptop (even though that one didn't have newest nvme pcie SSS).
In my case this seems due to the fact the BIOS is not saving fastboot enabled.
It always resets to fastboot disabled. And it seems many other have the same issue.

When I activate fastboot the system powers on really fast (as it should be) but only once.
The the BIOS is not saving the changes made. This is a malfunction in my view.

So it's not about bashing people who would like to save ten seconds of boot time.
It's about a BIOS that doesn't work right. ASUS should really fix this, but so far they haven't.

JustinThyme
02-25-2016, 12:01 AM
And your boot time is what?

Not about 8 seconds over 18? Did you read title and the OP of how someone with an Acer booted faster

We all know that BIOS is still immature on its second revision on a platform that has been on the market for 3 months. We all know that if you are running anything but BIOS 206 the fast boot enabled in the BIOS wont stay that way. My point is why do people obsess over 10 seconds to log in when it has precisely nothing to do with the performance of the machine? I have an older laptop, G74sx that boots from a Samsung 850 Pro in 6-7 seconds and gets a firestrike score of less than 4000. My G752VY Boots to log in in 18 seconds and now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks. Are you having performance issues that are BIOS related? If so post up your non 8 second magical boot time performance issues and lets see if we can get them sorted out.

ASUS is making progress on the BIOS but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. 211 was compiled a month before it was released, Im guessing Beta testing. If their progress in insuffucient for your liking there is always the option to go with MSI, Dell or Acer instead. If you go have a look at their forums there are just as many problems, if not more, over there.

Living on the edge has a price. One could always go back a few models where the performance is cut to less than half but they are done with the BIOS and they boot in 6-7 seconds.

ROG_HARDCORE
02-25-2016, 01:19 AM
Indeed Bios 206 boot time is fast, but but ... i need achi ...i love achi... Achi is life.

my cold boot time 15+- second, start up 15+- second, with Samsung 920 Pro 512Gb

2563mb/s Read, 1514mb/s Write.. :(
Be happy anyway. Be always positive. :)

Wemser
02-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Justin, after reading through the posts again, I do see your point.
I also wouldn't care about few seconds more or less for booting. Yet, that bashing is not really fair. Other people tune their racing cars just to be one or two seconds faster on a track, so why should someone not be allowed to try tuning his "Racing Laptop".
But never mind, that's between you and Kidfisto. I hope a working BIOS will be released an then I wil be happy with my booting.

Even though Off-Topic, let me ask something more important:

now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks

A short hint on the tweaks please! :cool:
(here or in another thread)

karl6774
02-26-2016, 05:37 AM
And your boot time is what?

Not about 8 seconds over 18? Did you read title and the OP of how someone with an Acer booted faster

We all know that BIOS is still immature on its second revision on a platform that has been on the market for 3 months. We all know that if you are running anything but BIOS 206 the fast boot enabled in the BIOS wont stay that way. My point is why do people obsess over 10 seconds to log in when it has precisely nothing to do with the performance of the machine? I have an older laptop, G74sx that boots from a Samsung 850 Pro in 6-7 seconds and gets a firestrike score of less than 4000. My G752VY Boots to log in in 18 seconds and now that i have it tweaked out the way I want I'm pushing 8700 in firestrike with stock clocks. Are you having performance issues that are BIOS related? If so post up your non 8 second magical boot time performance issues and lets see if we can get them sorted out.

ASUS is making progress on the BIOS but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. 211 was compiled a month before it was released, Im guessing Beta testing. If their progress in insuffucient for your liking there is always the option to go with MSI, Dell or Acer instead. If you go have a look at their forums there are just as many problems, if not more, over there.

Living on the edge has a price. One could always go back a few models where the performance is cut to less than half but they are done with the BIOS and they boot in 6-7 seconds.

reliable and easy to say go for acer dell etc ... etc .. after spending a bunch of money just because asus work a herd of goats. please consider the year I said before that this PC was in trouble a lot of problems that still 4 months away have not been resolved. but you always defend that asus work for them?

JustinThyme
02-27-2016, 03:22 AM
Justin, after reading through the posts again, I do see your point.
I also wouldn't care about few seconds more or less for booting. Yet, that bashing is not really fair. Other people tune their racing cars just to be one or two seconds faster on a track, so why should someone not be allowed to try tuning his "Racing Laptop".
But never mind, that's between you and Kidfisto. I hope a working BIOS will be released an then I wil be happy with my booting.

Even though Off-Topic, let me ask something more important:

A short hint on the tweaks please! :cool:
(here or in another thread)

I wouldn't want to give up the tweaks as it might possibly add a couple hundred microseconds to the cold start to log in time.

Im not bashing anyone, I just fail to understand how this is tuning anything. I've said I wont argue the point any further and only ask a single question that not a single person has answered. If someone can answer this and prove it conclusively Ive already said I will shoot down a crow, fry it up and eat it and post a youtube video of me doing it. All I ask is show me any actual difference in performance between 8 seconds to log in vs 18. Yes some like to tune there cars. I have a company issued ford escape in my driveway with a turbo charged 1.6L I4 that does 0-60 in 10 seconds with a tailwind going down hill that starts up very fast even in extremely cold weather. In my friends Garage over close to the Englishtown dragway is my project car that I've been tinkering with for 20 years. Its a 68 El camino with a 572 Big block, dual quads with a 6:71 blower that takes me several minutes to get started and warmed up ready to run. It will snatch the front end off the ground and do the 1/8 mile in 4.95 at 160mph.

I'm not arguing the point if people want to spend countless hours on getting it to boot log in in 8 seconds or less. Have fun and I wish you the best of luck with that. Ive already posted exactly how to do that but its gonna cost you the same time once you get to log in when you delay starting services and loading start up items. To call it a performance problem and throw ASUS under the bus over it because someones Acer boots faster but cant break 4K on firestrike I just find preposterous, but that's my opinion. I'm with ROG_HARDCORE. I prefer actual performance and don't find it debilitating to wait an extra 10 seconds to get it. Ill just crack my knuckles or pat my dog on the head in that 10 seconds.