PDA

View Full Version : Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro on GL552VW

Pradeep15
02-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Hello all,

I am planning to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my GL552VW-DH74 machine.

I would appreciate some tips/inputs/things to watch out for on this.

Also, would like to know if there is any sequence of 'things to do'/drivers to install?

Where can I get the default Asus pre-loaded apps that aren't available on the support site ?

Thanks in advance

Pradeep

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
If you are still on the factory install everything is in C:\eSupport
If not you will have to find someone who wants to be overly nice and will arrange to get them to you.

Why is it everyone finds it so necessary to do a bare bones install? Just for fun?

cdma2k
02-12-2016, 01:52 PM
no doubt about it if clean install is possible
smaller size, faster speed .....

JustinThyme
02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
no doubt about it if clean install is possible
smaller size, faster speed .....

Uhhhhh, NO. A little smaller maybe right up until you install what you need. Its easier to just uninstall what you don't need. You gain no speed from a clean install, that is so 20 years ago with Win95 when you had to do a clean install every year just to get the machine back up to speed. That is no longer the case, pretty much went out the window with Vista.

Pradeep15
02-16-2016, 03:49 AM
If you are still on the factory install everything is in C:\eSupport
If not you will have to find someone who wants to be overly nice and will arrange to get them to you.

Why is it everyone finds it so necessary to do a bare bones install? Just for fun?

Yes, it's still on the factory install.

I wanted to do a clean install for the following

1. Upgrade from the Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro to make use of the Pro features (mainly Virtual Machines and Bitlocker)
2. Upgrade the factory build to the latest one available from Windows (1511) so the updates till this build are pre-loaded, whenever I do a 'Reset'.
3. All the factory apps/data is in C Drive (the SSD), and I want to keep this only for Windows and other key software like Antivirus etc.

Is the content in C:\eSupport any different from what's available on the Asus Support page? I have downloaded the most recent versions of Drivers/Utilities from there now

Thanks, and would appreciate more inputs.. :)

Clintlgm
02-16-2016, 04:49 AM
You can easily just use Settings/upgrade and activation/ Change product Key to upgrade to Pro Your Pro Key, no installation is required the options are just activated.

Pradeep15
02-16-2016, 08:12 AM
You can easily just use Settings/upgrade and activation/ Change product Key to upgrade to Pro Your Pro Key, no installation is required the options are just activated.

Thanks,

I agree, but the thing with this kind of upgrade is that I cannot do a 'clean install' of Windows 10 Pro at all. Should I need to re-install, I would need to install Windows 10 Home and then change the Product key again and again. Wanted a way to avoid this hassle actually.

Clintlgm
02-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Yes well activate pro, remove any Bloatware you don't want. The Use Macrium Reflect to create a Disk Image. Problem solved you can restore to that point Image any time you want and it takes all of about 10 to 20 minutes.

Julskey
02-16-2016, 11:16 PM

True. All windows install DVD AFAIK are complete (at least on previous windows versions). Features are unlocked by type of cdkey. As long as you are ugrading on the same windows version (ie W10 to W10 pro).

Pradeep15
02-18-2016, 03:40 AM
Yes well activate pro, remove any Bloatware you don't want. The Use Macrium Reflect to create a Disk Image. Problem solved you can restore to that point Image any time you want and it takes all of about 10 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for the tip,will try this. :)