PDA

View Full Version : G-sync quick easy noob question. How important is it to buy a new NB with G-sync?

Weirdoutworld
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm not picky about my graphics. Im buying a g751jy this week and just need a quick answer. I'm not sure if just toning down the graphic settings would give me smooth gameplay without G sync... Is G sync for gamers that want smoothness on highest settings? So, since I'm not after an "ultra" experience would I benifet from having g-sync at all?

Julskey
02-15-2016, 05:01 AM
If I'm not so picky, I would consider the g751JT or G752VT both have gtx970m, second only to gtx980m to date. Newer G751JY already have G-sync for a few hundred dollars more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghQh0Y4oA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WXdRd7Tao

I have the G752VT, I would have wanted the VY but price is already a bit high for my budget. Anyways, I am satisfied with what I have now. It can still play most games in ultra.

ghunter323
02-15-2016, 07:19 AM
I recommend g751jt-db73. gtx970m with g-sync if you want to buy g751 version for lesser price and satisfactory gameplay. or better buy g752 with 970m+ additional amount of cash if you play cpu demanding games.

thetanaz
02-15-2016, 07:37 AM
G-Sync is better when u struggle with performance if anything because when you drop below 60 FPS it keeps things smoother and doesn't show that stuttering that you feel/see with V-Sync.In my experience it improves both non-demanding games that run at High FPS as it stops tearing and also triple A games like Witcher 3 where it makes the game feel better overall even when it drops the frames to 40.
Is it a necessity though?
Absolutely not.If you have to spend 200-300$ more just to have it and you need the cash you totally don't have to.What I did is buy mine just before they started releasing them with G-Sync and later I just bought a G-Sync monitor and made it like a desktop setup with the laptop being the heart of it.
So you still can have G-Sync on a Non-Gsync model if you buy an external G-sync monitor later on.

Julskey
02-15-2016, 10:15 AM
So you still can have G-Sync on a Non-Gsync model if you buy an external G-sync monitor later on.

I'm afraid not. Please look up the G-sync upgrade sticky thread. You need G-sync hardware on your motherboard for G-sync software to work and you need gsync software to use on any gsync monitor, internal or external.

Weirdoutworld
02-16-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys. This is harder than picking out a used car... So, 970m + g-sync sound safer than straight 980m with being able to play games at normal+ settings for a couple years? Thanks for the new title also. Makes a lot more sense now :P

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Gsync stops tearing caused when your refresh rate on your monitor is higher than the FPS the GPU is putting out. Basically matches the refresh rate to the GPU output. If you slow down to 20FPS it syncs the display refresh to 20hz.

Real question is are you an image quality junky or FPS junky? If you are more about FPS then its not that important. You will find yourself disabling it to get better performance.

Richdog
02-17-2016, 06:12 AM
People were happy for many years without Gsync... I think its time people stop obsessing about it as though its the second coming of GPU christ. I run my screen at 100hz and couldn't be happier and have noticed no real issues with tearing etc.

Weirdoutworld
02-18-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm used to playing on a ps3 so low FPS won't be an issue for me. I DO believe that G-sync will help me play more demanding games in the future without having tearing even IF the FPS drops it will remain playable (at least for me)... I literaly JUST bought a JY wh71. $1300 usd. And can't wait for it to show up! Thanks for all the answers and glad to be apart of this helpful community. G-sync helps prolong playable life as long as I baby it... I assume the laptop will just die before the 980m is outdated enough to not play games tho... :P