PDA

View Full Version : G751JY cpu fan dying?

Ancients
02-15-2016, 09:03 AM
I've had the G751JY for less than a month now, and during that time a ticking/clicking sound has appeared on the right side of the laptop, under the number pad side. The sound has only grown in volume and frequency. It first appeared while the system was under load and the fans were at a high rpm, but it has been appearing while at idle or light use(youtube and web browsing) now. The CPU temperature has also started fluctuating much more than the GPU temperature while at idle. I am pretty sure I am going to have to RMA it to get the fan replaced, but I am open to suggestions on fixes for the mean time.

Quick notes. I know it is not a hard drive because I replaced the HDD with an SSD, giving me two SSDs, and it is not the disk drive since I have ejected it while the noise was present.

Eleftherios
03-06-2016, 11:31 PM
I noticed about 4 days ago a light rumble from the left side of my machine, then it turned into more of a clicking andsounded like the fan was catching on something. When i put the machine under load and it spins the fan up it starts to go away until the fan speed drops back down. That's not to say it's not noticable under load. My cpu temps never go above 75 degrees ever. I run ambie t temps of anywhere between 17 degrees and 20. As of right now im hitting 90+ degrees while gpu is sitting at 65 u der full load. Think it's an RMA just wondering who else has experienced this and what the outcome was?
M typing this on my mobile and i cant see what im typing so h sorry for any mistakes.

Julskey
03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Needs warranty service.

Ancients
03-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Yeah, it sounds like you're experiencing what happened to me. I have good news and bad news.

The good news.
The RMA process went really smoothly for me. The ASUS repair center received my laptop on a Thursday and I had it back in my hands on Wednesday, so there is a really fast turn around on repairs. This is probably because there isn't a holiday season or anything currently.

The bad news.
Asus did not pay for my shipping to them or give me a shipping label. After starting my return to Amazon they reimbursed me for all costs incurred with shipping the laptop to the repair center, though. Not that this part helps you. Go Amazon.
Don't expect your original box back. They shipped my laptop back to me in a thick bubble wrap sleeve in a different box. I don't know how normal this is, but the repair center shipped my laptop back powered on but in sleep mode. Normally I wouldn't care, but if it somehow woke while in transit that wouldn't be great.
After I got it back and shut it down windows 10 refused to start back up. This could be unrelated and just a random problem, but it happened. I had to reinstall windows 10 with wiping all my files to get it to start back up. Reinstalling windows 10 while keeping all my files resulted in the same problem of not starting up.
My laptop worked fine for a few days but then the noise started to come back and cooling began to suffer again, so I was 2/2 on dud fans. At this point I am returning it and probably going to try the G752. Even with a weaker GPU, I will be happy if it means a more reliable laptop in the long run.

I hope you have better luck with your RMA repairs than I did.

Clintlgm
03-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Less than a month if you can just return it for exchange or refund if you still can.

Eleftherios
04-05-2016, 01:43 AM
I ended up sending mine in for a RMA... Lucky I did.

Laptop failed memtest,
Replacing Both fans, Motherboard, Memory, Wireless card...............

I get the added advantage of a new GPU,CPU repaste which will hopefully be done correctly, but I'm stuck waiting for them to swap parts out until memtest passes.

Service has been excellent, just waiting for parts from Sydney (I'm close to Brisbane). I'm curious as to whether they will end up giving me a new one all together.

I'd prefer they just took the machine and gave me a G-Sync ready G752 optioned like my current model.