PDA

View Full Version : G752VY BIOS 211 released with AHCI and RAID 0

JustinThyme
02-15-2016, 02:12 PM
New release available for download You can put it in AHCI mode now like the VT but you cannot do the AHCI and RAID0 its either or which is to be expected.

BIOS 211
"Please install OS by USB drive or external USB optical disc drive. Do not use internal SATA optical disc drive.

Please install Intel IRST driver 14.6.3.1032 before crate RAID 0 volume."

JustinThyme
02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Boot time to log in unchanged. Still does not save fast boot enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2igQFknSw

Ordered up another 512GB 950 pro from new egg and can get it at will call 20 mins from home when they send me the email that its picked and ready to see if the raid 0 will work. Not expecting any huge jump in speeds due to the ceiling on the DMI link being 3.5Gbps.

karl6774
02-15-2016, 07:02 PM
but if I have two ssd 256 nvme the original raid 0 will work ?
mine is g752vy t7003t
and you can return to the old bios ?

EttoreA
02-15-2016, 08:01 PM
I suspect - but please feel free to correct me out - that you will have to reinstall your OS from scratch if you want to create a RAID 0 volume (RAID with RAID0 enabled) from actual ssd disks. Not sure what happens if you switch from RAID (RAID0 Disabled) to AHCI. Possibly you'll need to install Samsung's drivers which should work well with AHCI now.

Or did I miss the obvious ?

EttoreA
02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
but if I have two ssd 256 nvme the original raid 0 will work ?
mine is g752vy t7003t
and you can return to the old bios ?

I may wrong but reading better at your question I think you're confusing RAID (with RAID0 Disabled) which BIOS 206/208 comes with to RAID0, i.e. RAID with RAID0 Enabled. The actual RAID (is that you call original one ?) should still work with BIOS 211 with no change at all.

The problem comes out when you want to merge your 256GB ssd disks to just one RAID0 volume of 512GB; in that case, I guess, you need to reinstall Windows 10 by installing Intel IRST driver 14.6.3.1032 before as recommended.

karl6774
02-15-2016, 09:27 PM
I created the raid bios but when I try to load drivers
14.6.3.1032 continually crash course Reinstall S.O. from zero

JustinThyme
02-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Guess it was me that missed it. I did not see Raid0 on any previous versions. Second image down above there was only the word raid and you could not change it. I was there and there was no raid 0 at all. You could not change anything.

You cannot go to raid0 install then go back. This is an either or scenario. If you want to install Samsung software and drivers you have to select the AHCI mode which ill disable raid but be careful. There are a few posts where others did this with their G752VT machines and ended up with a reinstall but one user did it differnetlly with some creative booting into safe mode and making some changes, check the VT thread on that. If you just change to AHCI and try to go with that its not just going to boot into AHCI and be fat dumb and happy. Personally I have zero interest in the AHCI mode, Samsung drivers offer no benefit over native drivers. Proven that point here multiple times. The only thing you can do with Samsung Magician that you cant accomplish otherwise is firmware updates or use the rapid mode which is not at all recommended as the only thing that does is gives you better crystal marks so long as you use the smaller clusters. Its actually proven to perform worse in a real world environment than leaving it disabled. Ill let you now in a little while if the raid 0 works now. Im doing some file transfers ATM and when all thats done Im going to try a couple of things but Im failry sure its going to take a clean install.

You can install it on the two 256GB drives, if it works. Trouble is you cant just morph from one to the other. Its either going to take some creative cloning which Im going to try or a clean install loading the Intel IRST drivers with an f6 prompt.

EttoreA
02-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Ok thanks. Let's see if you can make RAID0 working with some a creative cloning, although I suspect it'll be kinda of impossible mission.

karl6774
02-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Ok thanks. Let's see if you can make RAID0 working with some a creative cloning, although I suspect it'll be kinda of impossible mission.

raid 0 created and S.O. installed but the performance is not that great in 2760 in reading and writing in 2657 so I reinstalled the 950 pro also why so occupy only one slot instead of 2

Slandscree
02-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Hi
I just installed newest (211) bios for my G752VY. I bought this machine with two pieces of Samsung ssd 950 pro 256GB.
As all around the world I cant install Samsung native drivers, because when trying error message appears, that 950 pro is not present. Now, finally, I can use Samsung ssd's 950 pro with native drivers, and Samsung magician software works fine, properly recognizing disks. I describe what I have to do, to achieve this (I use Windows 10 64Bit):

1. Make a backup copy of your system disk - I used Acronis True Image. Its just for safety, I dont like risk.
2. Download Samsung nvme drivers for 950 pro and save them on disk
3. Run as administrator: msconfig.exe
4.Go to boot section and select safe boot - other options leave unchecked
5. Restart computer and enter bios settings
6. Switch from RAID to AHCI mode in IRST section (in older bios like 206 or 208 this option was unavaiable)
7.Save changes and quit.
8. Windows start in safe mode - now install Samsung nvme drivers - now your 950 pro will be recognized properly
9. run msconfig.exe again - and uncheck safe boot
10. Restart windows - check the device manager - both Samsung nvme controllers installed
11. Samsung magician software now works fine with 950 pro disks

And CrystalDiskMark on Samsung drivers:

P.S.
ASUS - make option FAST BOOT able to be save!

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Hi
I just installed newest (211) bios for my G752VY. I bought this machine with two pieces of Samsung ssd 950 pro 256GB.
As all around the world I cant install Samsung native drivers, because when trying error message appears, that 950 pro is not present. Now, finally, I can use Samsung ssd's 950 pro with native drivers, and Samsung magician software works fine, properly recognizing disks. I describe what I have to do, to achieve this (I use Windows 10 64Bit):

1. Make a backup copy of your system disk - I used Acronis True Image. Its just for safety, I dont like risk.
6. Switch from RAID to AHCI mode in IRST section (in older bios like 206 or 208 this option was unavaiable)
7.Save changes and quit.
8. Windows start in safe mode - now install Samsung nvme drivers - now your 950 pro will be recognized properly
10. Restart windows - check the device manager - both Samsung nvme controllers installed

P.S.

Awesome. So we know that the same trick on the G752VT works on the VY as well. Sure beats having to do a reinstall.

So little faith! Here the other end of the spectrum for those who are more interested in Raid O than using Samsung drivers.
After going for a ride this afternoon to pick up a second 950 pro 512GB at the New egg will call in Edison NJ I set out on a mission to clone so I dont have to go through the PITA of a clean install followed by reinstalling drivers and software and getting everything all set up the way I wanted.
Before starting download and install Intel RST software, not just drivers but software package HERE (https://mega.nz/#!QNkCUJqT!zJlX9vZNCQmr1i86J-ods8ilgqz3G743rTMtamsDSto) Courtesy winraid forums. I was already running the Intel RST v14.8.1.1043 WHQL drivers also courtesy of winraid forums.
HERE (https://mega.nz/#!NF0A2KKQ!3bflvdMoPmH84EHDJJQEnCPNbIZQUVUBPJyErmW CzPc) Probably wont make a difference after installing the software as noted but just wanted to let it be know that these drivers are what were in the clone before starting. The 14.6 version mentioned in the BIOS pack is actually a bit older and does not match the 14.8 that is in BIOS 211

1) First thing was a backup of everything that I can now delete. I use Acronis true image.
2) Next I moved all the data from my 1TB 850 EVO SSD to a removeable drive, thankfully I didnt have it loaded just yet, only about 120GB.
3) Using Samsung data migration I cloned my 512GB 950 pro to the 850 EVO.
4) Reboot spamming the ESC key and selecting the 850 EVO for boot ( didnt need to as that was the only option shown, the migration software had set the 950 pro to offline.
5) upon reboot from the 850 EVO I used Acronis disk director to issue the clean command for the 950 pro, you can also do it using diskpart from cmd prompt as admin. Acronis is easier and I have it.
6) Shut down PC and install second 950 pro
7) spam f2 at reboot and enter BIOS and set raid 0 to enable save and exit.
8) From desktop install the Intel software you downloaded before starting then launch it and create a raid 0 stripe using the two 950 pros.
10) initialize the raid stipe, again I used acronis disk director but you can use diskpart.
10) download and install Macrium reflect and use it to clone the 850evo to the newly created raid stripe.
11)Reboot and ESC to choose boot again and select the raid stripe Mine was named by default Intel 00000 or somthing like that. It was obvious.
12) After booting to the raid stripe issue the clean command on the 850 Evo then reinitialize and create your partitions
Done

I tried the Samsung data migration to clone back to the raid array. Didn't work. could not see the array. Acronis true image saw the array but when it rebooted to launch its clone routine it said no raid devices found. Downloaded and installed Macrium reflect and used that all default settings just chose clone and let it do its thing.

Crystalmarks is improved but not a horrendous improvement. I called 3GBs seq read but it didnt quite make it. Might get a little more with some tweaking but here are the results right out of the gate using the same settings and OS tweaks I used with the 950 pro as an NVME. HW info doesn't shoe the raid drive at all. The write improvements were pretty substantial though and the random read and write scores actually declined.

950 Pro single crystal mark

2 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 cloned without a clean install. the 870GB is because I already set an OP partition.

MrRuckus
02-16-2016, 01:28 AM
While it looks like RAID works. Intel XTU looks to still be not working. The options for changing the multiplier are still there, but they wont take and XTU errors out on reboot. If this worked in previous ROG laptops without K processors, they should be able to do the same here. :/

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 01:39 AM
The 6700HQ CPU is locked. That's where the problem is. No BIOS is going to change that. Cant change CPU or memory frequency, what you see is what you get. The SPD on the memory will automatically raise the multiplier as far as 24 but the buck stops there. 2400Mhz is the ceiling on the memory for these machines.
The 6820HK in the flagship model is supposed to be unlocked. Im good with what I have for $1000 less. Maybe one of the members who got one of those can tell you if they got any better luck with it.

Clintlgm
02-16-2016, 03:40 AM
Justin you might try the restore to different hardware feature in Macrium Reflect?:cool:

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 04:05 AM
Justin you might try the restore to different hardware feature in Macrium Reflect?:cool:
The Macrium is the only thing that worked. I tried the restore to different hardware with the Acronis, that was the very first thing I did before anything else. I couldn't get acronis to load the raid drivers from the boot media. Acronis also wouldnt clone either.

In the end short and skinny it was a clone to SATA SSD with samsung software then all the getting the raid set up and clone back with macrium default settings.

No need to try anything else LOL
I'm running 2 950 pros in raid 0 and didn't have to do a clean install.

JOHATASH
02-16-2016, 07:23 AM
is there any sense to me to install new BIOS?
I Have 1 SSD 128GB
1HHD 1TB

If the bios boot is more than 7 sec.. and FAst boot is not working again?

Julskey
02-16-2016, 09:02 PM
is there any sense to me to install new BIOS?
I Have 1 SSD 128GB
1HHD 1TB

If the bios boot is more than 7 sec.. and FAst boot is not working again?

Yes, it would make sense if your ssd would perform better in AHCI mode.

Clintlgm
02-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Yes this is really good information. Solves the Issue for the guys getting DH78K with 2 256 GB SSD. You probably should start a new thread so this information will be easier to find.
I gave up on Acronis back in 2012 they couldn't clone a GPT OS Disk and have it boot in spite of advertising they could. MR did and I moved my complete onsite back up Scheme. Acronis Tech support was worst than Asus LOL There forum was pretty good but there program started becoming unreliable and they were unresponsive.

karl6774
02-16-2016, 10:53 PM
the bios 211 has been removed from asus website

Julskey
02-16-2016, 11:03 PM
the bios 211 has been removed from asus website

Still there. http://www.asus.com/US/Notebooks/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 11:11 PM
No its there, for some reason BIOS file keep bouncing around. If you dont see it under windows 10 select others from the drop down. They have been working on the website redesigning and realigning for the last few weeks.

I started this thread outside of the BIOS 208 complaint thread and named it so it can be found with a search tag lines G752VY AHCI and RAID. Honestly Id still be a bit on the less than happy with 2x256GB drives instead of a single 512GB, raid or not.

karl6774
02-17-2016, 07:00 AM
in any other drop down S.O. there is the bios 211 there are only 206-208 , I have another internet ?

Julskey
02-17-2016, 11:48 AM
You can't see it from here? http://www.asus.com/US/Notebooks/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

Both in win10 x64 and others, there are 3 items under BIOS. 211 is the top most.

Dr4g0n36
02-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Little OT question: here we are on a G752VT equipped with .213 version (.211 already had around one moth ago)
why we can't se RAID setting?
I've found a new "setting" and i'm asking myself if even other G752 models have in it (only appear selecting AHCI mode):
RAID MODE:
AHCI MODE:
NVMe SETTINGS PANEL:

JOHATASH
02-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Yes, it would make sense if your ssd would perform better in AHCI mode.

How can i know it?
My ssd name NVMe SAMSUNG_MZVLV128B

MrRuckus
02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
The 6700HQ CPU is locked. That's where the problem is. No BIOS is going to change that. Cant change CPU or memory frequency, what you see is what you get. The SPD on the memory will automatically raise the multiplier as far as 24 but the buck stops there. 2400Mhz is the ceiling on the memory for these machines.
The 6820HK in the flagship model is supposed to be unlocked. Im good with what I have for $1000 less. Maybe one of the members who got one of those can tell you if they got any better luck with it.

Im just curious whats different between the G74Sx i7 2670QM, and the G750's 4700HQ which were both also locked processors, yet allowed 2 bumps on all cores in Intel XTU.

JOHATASH
02-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Who can correctly say that new BIOS have Fast boot enable and boot time more than 7 second?

Dr4g0n36
02-17-2016, 05:19 PM
How can i know it?
My ssd name NVMe SAMSUNG_MZVLV128B
I've the same drive, i did all the tests with/without AHCI. Here's what i've found:

RAID mode has equal 157mb/s write (all tests)
AHCI mode has equal 156mb/s test
RAID mode perform little better read tests (about 900 vs 800/850 AHCI)
RAID and AHCI are not responsible of NVMe channel
settings in AHCI let the bios to see the NVMe drive separate from other standard sata channel (intel ICH's)
AHCI mode has no need of specific driver doing windows 10 setup (instead of RAID mode that need xflpy64 provided from Intel)
Samsung software didn't see NVMe drive in both of case (OEM hardware)
You can "simply" downgrade from RAID to AHCI (guide in this forum)
under windows devices panel, setting it in AHCI enable you to load samsung specific driver.
128GB OEM NVMe ssd's has crappy read speed related to their hardware, isn't a driver/software issue. They always write @150mb/s (256GB @300 and on)

MrRuckus
02-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Who can correctly say that new BIOS have Fast boot enable and boot time more than 7 second?

It seems we have a few different discussions going on in this thread.
To answer this, my G752VY boots in 8 seconds, fastboot is not staying on in the Bios on 211, which is the same for me as on 208. But to me there is no difference from 206 when fastboot stayed on. So to me it seems even though fastboot is not staying enabled in the Bios, its acting like it is enabled. To me anyway. .

JustinThyme
02-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Yeah we definitely took a few turns here.
As for the XTU question I personally have no clue. Ive never bother with trying to OC a laptop but have done it with many desktops from crazy LN2 pots to chillers and simple liquid cooled and got crazy results. With those there is nothing that will allow you to change a locked CPU. Its a lot easier to reset a CMOS on a desktop when things dont work out. I actually have always put a small toggle switch in just for that purpose.

Choosing between NVMe and AHCI, NVMe is a faster protocol that is replacing the now obsolete AHCI. On the VT as in this machine there is a separate SATA and NVME controller. Your M2 is NVMe where the 2.5" bay is SATA. The BIOS setting and arrangements are very confusing to say the least however you cannot run the M2 in AHCI. Its PCIe gen 3 supporting NVMe which now for the VY can also support a RAID0. I posted up already here somewhere a flow chart of how these buses work and connect though the chipset but RAID, SATA and NVMe are 3 different critters.

Dr4g0n36
02-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Yeah we definitely took a few turns here.
As for the XTU question I personally have no clue. Ive never bother with trying to OC a laptop but have done it with many desktops from crazy LN2 pots to chillers and simple liquid cooled and got crazy results. With those there is nothing that will allow you to change a locked CPU. Its a lot easier to reset a CMOS on a desktop when things dont work out. I actually have always put a small toggle switch in just for that purpose.

Choosing between NVMe and AHCI, NVMe is a faster protocol that is replacing the now obsolete AHCI. On the VT as in this machine there is a separate SATA and NVME controller. Your M2 is NVMe where the 2.5" bay is SATA. The BIOS setting and arrangements are very confusing to say the least however you cannot run the M2 in AHCI. Its PCIe gen 3 supporting NVMe which now for the VY can also support a RAID0. I posted up already here somewhere a flow chart of how these buses work and connect though the chipset but RAID, SATA and NVMe are 3 different critters.

with lastest test i've found that RAID interdict in some way the full NVMe features, forcing it into a sort of compatibility, instead selecting AHCI bios "release" binding on sata-NVMe forcing separation between it. So at this time, if you want a pure NVMe controller active, you had to select AHCI (affecting only SATA channels). As my photo in previous post.

JustinThyme
02-17-2016, 10:42 PM
I guess I didn't explain well enough. AHCI has always been active. Somethings like Samsung software can't see past the raid controller. What is confusing is the term AHCI/RAID in the BIOS would more suitably named RAID on/off. SATA does not support NVMe protocol. What the screen grab is showing is that Samsung software cannot see past a raid controller. This is actually very olds news going back to samsungs introduction of the 840 SSD that I know of, maybe further. Turn RAID off by choosing AHCI and now Samsung can see it and you can install drivers that you didn't need anyhow. As they are native in Win8.1 and later. I've not seen any difference in performance of MVME drives or SATA SDD for that matter whether or not the Samsung drivers are used.

JOHATASH
02-18-2016, 05:59 AM
It seems we have a few different discussions going on in this thread.
To answer this, my G752VY boots in 8 seconds, fastboot is not staying on in the Bios on 211, which is the same for me as on 208. But to me there is no difference from 206 when fastboot stayed on. So to me it seems even though fastboot is not staying enabled in the Bios, its acting like it is enabled. To me anyway. .

But in the top of these theme JustinThyme show the video on youtube that show boot time 26 sec
what can you say?

ROG_HARDCORE
02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
But in the top of these theme JustinThyme show the video on youtube that show boot time 26 sec
what can you say?

Hi Johatash, I just purchase my G752VY-CG192T. After update the Bios to 211, I have to wait 10 second before the machine start after power button pressed. Is it normal ? After showing logo, and another 10 second for boot.

Dr4g0n36
02-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Johatash, I just purchase my G752VY-CG192T. After update the Bios to 211, I have to wait 10 second before the machine start after power button pressed. Is it normal ? After showing logo, and another 10 second for boot.
Channel protocol / bios version lightly affect boot time, better check how many programs run at startup, they are responsible of boot time (nvidia, ATK, adobe update, etc..) you can easily disable it from the activity panel. Give a try.

ROG_HARDCORE
02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Channel protocol / bios version lightly affect boot time, better check how many programs run at startup, they are responsible of boot time (nvidia, ATK, adobe update, etc..) you can easily disable it from the activity panel. Give a try.

No, its not boot time slow. Its machine startup slow. Its weird, after i press power button, i have to wait 10 second for the ROG logo to show up. Then only it boot normally. If Recover back 206 Bios, it become normal again. Recover bios using fat32 usb drive and ctrl + home during power up.

Dr4g0n36
02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
No, its not boot time slow. Its machine startup slow. Its weird, after i press power button, i have to wait 10 second for the ROG logo to show up. Then only it boot normally. If Recover back 206 Bios, it become normal again. Recover bios using fat32 usb drive and ctrl + home during power up.
OK in that case i can't help because i have VT version. Let's wait another user.

JOHATASH
02-18-2016, 04:15 PM

20 sec it's slow...

JustinThyme
02-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Personally speaking I'm not going to participate in any more conversations calling 20 seconds slow over 8 seconds when talking about time from power button to login. This makes zero difference on machine performance and 10 seconds isn't even enough time to get a cup of coffee. I've found that if you leave it alone the time improves. Can we please stop dwelling on this! My G751JL boots from a SATA 850 pro in 6 seconds bit what does that mean? Absolutely nothing when my G752VY mops the floor with it in firestrike benchmarks literally doubling the score! If you find that when you run one bios version over the other and see a benchmark like firestrike performance change dramatically you have a legitimate gripe. If you are looking at a black screen after 60 seconds you have a problem. If you are looking at the log in with less than 30 seconds you can get there faster but what's the point? You can set all services for delayed start and disable all your start up items and AV and it will get their faster but then you will be staring that the wait symbol when you get to the desktop and have to manually load background services when you need them. Sound stupid? It does to me. So much in fact that Ove even disabled the fast boot in the power settings.

Control Panel>Power Options
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
Click Save changes.

Why do this. Because I'm using an SSD that loses lifespan with every write. With this enabled the OS writes the kernel and loaded drivers and everything in the RAM to the disk to use for fast boot coming back up. I'm steady at 15-20 seconds after setting things up the way I want and having the same background applications on that I want on all the time and leaving it be. This option also gives me a complete shutdown and not a "Hybrid Shutdown".

If you want to experience the fastest boot times then go to BIOS 206 and stay there and load a clean install of Windows with nothing else. Just as the machine came. You can them marvel at how fast the machine boots but not be able to do anything else. For every piece of software you load there is more drivers and services that will have to load with the boot sequence. This is not all on the machine and the BIOS! It's actually more on the OS, services apps and drivers.

OK end rant and I will not participate any further in the OCD boot time discussions.

JustinThyme
02-18-2016, 10:38 PM

what can you say?

Look again. The length of the entire video is 26 seconds. Go back and time it from power button to log in screen. Even if it was 30 seconds that's still not a problem. See my other post about OCD.

Timed 18 seconds with chronograph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbu5ExyadT4

MrRuckus
02-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Personally speaking I'm not going to participate in any more conversations calling 20 seconds slow over 8 seconds when talking about time from power button to login.

I dont think anybody is twisting your arm to reply. Just because it isn't relevant to you doesn't mean its not to others. He's just trying to find out what has changed is all.

Johatash, might be a stupid question, but you dont have Boot CSM enabled right? It should be disabled to boot via UEFI. With it enabled that would increase your boot times.

JustinThyme
02-18-2016, 11:09 PM
I dont think anybody is twisting your arm to reply. Just because it isn't relevant to you doesn't mean its not to others. He's just trying to find out what has changed is all.

Johatash, might be a stupid question, but you dont have Boot CSM enabled right? It should be disabled to boot via UEFI. With it enabled that would increase your boot times.

I just want to know how it is relevant to performance is all. Show me that and I will eat a crow and post a youtube video of me doing it.

MrRuckus
02-18-2016, 11:43 PM
We both know it has nothing to do with performance. Nobody said it did. Its the simple post process taking double or triple the time with a different Bios. We're just trying to figure out why.

Its like saying someone took a wire brush to your car and killed the paint job, but why worry about it? the performance is the same, it doesn't hinder you from driving it.

Its an ability the laptop had before a Bios update, now the ability is gone. Just trying to find out how to get it back..

Dreamonic
02-18-2016, 11:59 PM
https://memecrunch.com/image/4f88aab318613332dd0018dc.jpg?w=375

I couldn't resist posting this!

Troubleshooting is fun! Glad people are still making an effort, even if just for their own soundness of mind.

JustinThyme
02-19-2016, 12:02 AM
OK whatever floats your boats. Some had longer boot times on 206 without ever changing anything but software. Me, I've never seen less than 15 seconds out of the box on BIOS 206 with nothing but default software and hardware and haven't seen anyone post a vid with anything faster than that either.

The wire brush analogy is a bit overreaching. I'll buy it took the starter turning over 15 times instead of ten to start.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 12:18 AM
OK whatever floats your boats. Some had longer boot times on 206 without ever changing anything but software. Me, I've never seen less than 15 seconds out of the box on BIOS 206 with nothing but default software and hardware and haven't seen anyone post a vid with anything faster than that either.

The wire brush analogy is a bit overreaching. I'll buy it took the starter turning over 15 times instead of ten to start.

If that was a regular occurrence after only taking 10 or around to turn the engine over, I would start investigating further like checking fuel pressure and spark, etc. Especially since it seems to be consistent... but I get your analogy. It's also the reason why 15-20s boot times to 30-60s can be used in that comparison, but nothing more.

JustinThyme
02-19-2016, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't bother because once the car starts it does 0-60 in 4 seconds. I go messing with timing, boost pressure and fuel pressure and I watch my 0-60 time go to 8 seconds but by god I got it to start in 10 revs instead of 15!

kabalan
02-27-2016, 05:53 PM

this is what happening to my machine. did a clean install on bios 211 also on 208 with 950 pro 512gb system boot is really a pain. have to wait at least 10-15 sec until the ROG logo appear I tried 2 different m.2 256 one with the factory installed and 950 pro 512gb same issue. so I tried using a damn 850 evo 500gb guess what system boot really fast compared to the m.2 as a main drive.

now my laptop configuration is 500gb 850 evo as a bootable drive.
512gb 950 pro as a 2nd drive and 256 m.2 as a 3rd drive.

so far this is the best solution I have to escape that 30 sec boot time. also downgrading to bios 206 is also an option but having the 950 drivers work on bios 211 is a gain. so ill stick with this option until a good bios version become public.

EttoreA
02-27-2016, 10:31 PM
So, at the end of the day you're doing with a relatively faster boot time but decidedly slower read/write performances in normal operations. That's singular. Personally, even considering all pros and cons of a fast boot time I wouldn't ever change it with the speed of my m.2 256GB.

pigulici
02-28-2016, 07:02 AM
I did the update at 211, also added 2x8 ddr4 (like one in latop), and now for me, not sure why(disabled secure and fast boot), but I have 2-3sec until asus logo, and another 3-4sec untill win pass screen...

ROG_HARDCORE
02-28-2016, 11:12 AM
I did the update at 211, also added 2x8 ddr4 (like one in latop), and now for me, not sure why(disabled secure and fast boot), but I have 2-3sec until asus logo, and another 3-4sec untill win pass screen...

All G752VY should have same motherboard right? only Major spec is different. But why some , or alot of G752VY especially APAC/ ASIA series have this kind of slow start problem? I've contacted asus support online, Call, and service center. They have no answer for me.

Global asus G752VY support, even the service center listed Bios 208 as latest. Only US have the latest 211 Bios. weird...

JustinThyme
02-28-2016, 02:18 PM
All G752VY should have same motherboard right? only Major spec is different. But why some , or alot of G752VY especially APAC/ ASIA series have this kind of slow start problem? I've contacted asus support online, Call, and service center. They have no answer for me.

Global asus G752VY support, even the service center listed Bios 208 as latest. Only US have the latest 211 Bios. weird...

One thing I learned long ago is do not buy into anything that seems out of the norm without proof. Pics or Vids or it didnt happen. You first clue is leaving things open. Reading that post this machine has set a new record in boot time for this Laptop at 5 sec, no one else has managed to accomplish this. Take anything without proof with a grain of salt and not as fact. I'm booting to login in 18 seconds, proof provided in youtube vid with Swiss chronometer a few pages back.

BIOS 211 is on their global website. I just verified its still there.

If you are booting to log in 15-20 seconds you are right there with everyone else save some on 206 that are getting around 10 seconds. If you are taking longer like upwards of a minute or more then there is a hardware/driver conflict.

http://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

Here is the actual link address for the G752VYAS211 file.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G752VY/G752VYAS211.zip

ROG_HARDCORE
02-28-2016, 03:52 PM
This is Not Global Link :/ Its US. .com/US

This is Global G752VY support page.
http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/833/0/3/6S3ctFvXVIePKB4o/45/

pigulici
02-28-2016, 04:06 PM
I downloaded the 211 bios from US version, my country and global show up only up to 208 version...
Also, I make it a video with restart at my laptop(it is restart so you can't tell me,yeah, you JustinThyme ( :) ), that it is fast because it is from the fake shutdown, if I go with cold boot), my counter from smartphone show me 6.5seconds...the video it is make it with smartphone, you can hear a clanck after black screen show up, it is from 7200rpm hdd when his power it is cut off by restart routine):
https://youtu.be/rRDm2t2omiQ

JustinThyme
02-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Well post up a start up (cold boot) and not a restart, HUGE difference and not even the topic of discussion here. I get pretty much the same time as you counting from the time you hit restart and are back at the login. Any other timing point is pure conjecture and specifically why you seen my vid with a stop watch from the time I push the power button to the time login screen is present. 18 Seconds. Giving you from black screen to login in and even deducting a second for your grub menu it still comes out to 18 seconds going by the video clock and I actually do better on a restart than that but this isn't the topic of discussion.

Post the video from the machine being completely shut down then push the power button to start, restart is not even the topic of the discussion.

Sorry if the BIOS isnt showing up everywhere. When I said global I was referring to the server, its the same server no matter where you access it from. Regardless Being the nice guy that I am I posted the direct link to the download for 211 so you don't even have to go look for it if you want to give it a go. There is no US in the address, the server is in TW but what does that matter, you can access it from anywhere on the planet is my point.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...752VYAS211.zip

pigulici
02-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Here it is for a cold power up(after real shudown):
https://youtu.be/Ah6Lgui4cC0

On topic, at me 211 work as fast as 206, as I said before, but I think, as software side, this laptop it is not mature enough...

JustinThyme
02-28-2016, 06:18 PM

On topic, at me 211 work as fast as 206, as I said before, but I think, as software side, this laptop it is not mature enough...

OK, Thanks for that. Take out the 3 seconds for your grub bootloader and I saw 21 seconds, far cry from 6.5.

Curious as to why you have a windows logo in the background prior to login. All of my machines just go from ROG Logo to Login screen.

kabalan
02-28-2016, 06:23 PM
So, at the end of the day you're doing with a relatively faster boot time but decidedly slower read/write performances in normal operations. That's singular. Personally, even considering all pros and cons of a fast boot time I wouldn't ever change it with the speed of my m.2 256GB.

i cant see any difference on performance since i installed all of the drivers and my application on the 950 pro. and to be honest this laptop perform much stable using a lower R/W ssd for now at least on my experience.

kabalan
02-28-2016, 06:27 PM
OK, Thanks for that. Take out the 3 seconds for your grub bootloader and I saw 21 seconds, far cry from 6.5.

Curious as to why you have a windows logo in the background prior to login. All of my machines just go from ROG Logo to Login screen.

i think this dude installed a fresh window without booting on uefi, im guessing he use a optical drive to install a window.

pigulici
02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Interesting, after I installed the new drivers for nvidia with the Physx driver(today), after the bootloader, I get ~12second in +...the speed until asus logo show, stay the same after 211 bios(as 206), ~4sec, before I put the ram+bios 211 I get ~20sec before asus logo show up, not sure if this combination lowered the time or the fact I give optimal default in bios...I installed fresh windows from usb, no uefi/secureboot/fastboot, well, for me it is the end of tests for this week, maybe next sunday I will do more tests...to sum up, I am almost happy with this hardware...

JustinThyme
02-28-2016, 06:49 PM
i cant see any difference on performance since i installed all of the drivers and my application on the 950 pro. and to be honest this laptop perform much stable using a lower R/W ssd for now at least on my experience.

Can you expand a bit with that as to exactly how you are configured. What BIOS how the drive is set up etc. What are you calling stable and what drive was that on?

JustinThyme
02-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Interesting, after I installed the new drivers for nvidia with the Physx driver(today), after the bootloader, I get ~12second in +...the speed until asus logo show, stay the same after 211 bios(as 206), ~4sec, before I put the ram+bios 211 I get ~20sec before asus logo show up, not sure if this combination lowered the time or the fact I give optimal default in bios...I installed fresh windows from usb, no uefi/secureboot/fastboot, well, for me it is the end of tests for this week, maybe next sunday I will do more tests...to sum up, I am almost happy with this hardware...

Again curious as to how this is considered playing it safe with a work platform yet installing the latest Graphics drivers is not?

ROG_HARDCORE
02-29-2016, 12:38 AM

Here i found the problem, Now shut down your G752VY completely, then remove your power cord ( 3 second ), then reinsert and power on the power supply. Now power on the laptop, let me know your total startup time.
Bios 208 or 211 only. Try.

Gustave
03-07-2016, 05:30 PM
New release available for download You can put it in AHCI mode now like the VT but you cannot do the AHCI and RAID0 its either or which is to be expected.

BIOS 211
"Please install OS by USB drive or external USB optical disc drive. Do not use internal SATA optical disc drive.

Please install Intel IRST driver 14.6.3.1032 before crate RAID 0 volume."

Hello,

All over the place I read about the Asus ROG G752 being a beast of a Gamers notebook. Among a few of the lesser aspects of the notebook is it not being able to put two M2 SSD's in a RAID0 setup.

Has BIOS update 211 changed that and can it be done now? Or is it not possible with NVMe SSD's? It being a PCI SSD and not a SATA SSD.

That said the NVMe SSD's have great speeds as it is (2500 x 1500 R/W versus 520 x 500)

Can't wait to get my G752VY 6820HK in my hands :-)

Cheerio!

Clintlgm
03-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Well you if you read the thread, you will see that this is what Justin did and spent the time to post exactly how he did it. So that you can easily do the same yourself.

Hmmm
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
I own the G752VY-GC081T. The BIOS 211 update is the first BIOS update I have ever gotten (at least that I can remember), so this is all new to me. Please excuse my lack of knowledge :) :P

My computer comes with one 256GB SSD in RAID and one 1TB HDD. I haven't changed that, as it's perfect for me.

I live in Europe and I got the BIOS 211 from ASUS Live Update a few days ago. I installed it without checking this forum first, but now I have some questions.

I just installed it like any other app update, by pressing Update (or Install, or whatever the text was), and the update process itself went very well.
But I see some of you are quoting a text that says "Please install OS by USB drive or external USB optical disc drive. Do not use internal SATA optical disc drive"
I'm not installing any OS, I am only installing the update, so I assume that text doesn't actually concern me?

Secondly, it looks like the ASUS ROG logo on bootup was changed to a higher-resolution one, which I like, but that made me wonder if other aspects of the computer were also changed.
I noticed today that the left fan on the back of my computer works more than the right. Today is the first day I'm noticing it, and it's become almost like a hobby to check regularly, so it's definitely something new.
Maybe my brain is just actively trying to find errors, because I'm not used to BIOS updates, but this isn't a bad thing, right? (I'm hoping it isn't, but please be honest with me).
It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it by putting my hand in front of the fans and checking for air pressure.

The only major differences in software are the auto-installed Windows 10 updates, two new games, and the new BIOS version.
I will keep on checking the air pressure to see if it changes back to "normal", with a fair balance between the two fans, but if it doesn't, should I do something about it?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! :)

JohnnyApp
03-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Hi

7.Save changes and quit.

P.S.

Hi Slandscree, and Justin Thyme (if you also see this),
I updated to bios 211 ten days ago and this morning I followed Slandscree's procedure very carefully, but did not find the possibility to
switch from RAID to AHCI mode in IRST section. It was only in the possible to do in the Sata Configuration section, so I switched to AHCI
there, the only place where the choice presented itself.
I then checked my bios to see if I succeeded in changing over to AHCI.
YES - that part worked. The Sata Configuration now showed that I am running my G752VY in AHCI and not Raid, which was
impossible before discovering your post. But when I looked at my device manager, I have only one NVMe driver
under Disk Drives, and NOT "both Samsung nvme controllers installed" as you say.
The second driver there concerns the classic sata "mechanical" hard drive (HGST...)

And the Samsung Magician still doesn't work correctly. Everything is greyed out except "Performance Benchmark".

I think that my G752VY is identical to yours despite the fact that I bought it here in France.

Maistro
03-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Did you switch back to RAID Mode after installing the Samsung Drivers or leave it at AHCI?

Hi

7.Save changes and quit.

P.S.

JohnnyApp
03-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Did you switch back to RAID Mode after installing the Samsung Drivers or leave it at AHCI?

I left it in AHCI.

Guffe
03-17-2016, 11:34 AM
I own the G752VY-GC081T. The BIOS 211 update is the first BIOS update I have ever gotten (at least that I can remember), so this is all new to me. Please excuse my lack of knowledge :) :P

My computer comes with one 256GB SSD in RAID and one 1TB HDD. I haven't changed that, as it's perfect for me.

I live in Europe and I got the BIOS 211 from ASUS Live Update a few days ago. I installed it without checking this forum first, but now I have some questions.

I just installed it like any other app update, by pressing Update (or Install, or whatever the text was), and the update process itself went very well.
But I see some of you are quoting a text that says "Please install OS by USB drive or external USB optical disc drive. Do not use internal SATA optical disc drive"
I'm not installing any OS, I am only installing the update, so I assume that text doesn't actually concern me?

Secondly, it looks like the ASUS ROG logo on bootup was changed to a higher-resolution one, which I like, but that made me wonder if other aspects of the computer were also changed.
I noticed today that the left fan on the back of my computer works more than the right. Today is the first day I'm noticing it, and it's become almost like a hobby to check regularly, so it's definitely something new.
Maybe my brain is just actively trying to find errors, because I'm not used to BIOS updates, but this isn't a bad thing, right? (I'm hoping it isn't, but please be honest with me).
It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it by putting my hand in front of the fans and checking for air pressure.

The only major differences in software are the auto-installed Windows 10 updates, two new games, and the new BIOS version.
I will keep on checking the air pressure to see if it changes back to "normal", with a fair balance between the two fans, but if it doesn't, should I do something about it?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! :)

Hi there. Ive gotten exacly the same laptop as you G752VY-GC081T. When i ordered this laptop i didnt know
which m.2 device was installed so when i got it i saw that i was a Samsung SM951 MZVPV256HDGL 256GB
so after finding this out i ordered another one to install it into RAID0. I noticed that i wasnt able to switch my
raid to raid 0 with 206 or 208 so i flashed my bios to 211. after installing Windows 10 i noticed the same
thing that the left fan is blowing more than the right and also that it takes 10-15 seconds before the ROG
logo shows up after pressing the power button. This i really dont care about but what im concerned about is
that my right fan isnt working as i want to.

Pls can the rest of you who has 211 check if you have the same problem like me and hmm.

I have a feeling that Asus is gonna release a new bios soon to fix the fast boot problem and hopefully the
fan issue.

JustinThyme
03-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Hi Slandscree, and Justin Thyme (if you also see this),
I updated to bios 211 ten days ago and this morning I followed Slandscree's procedure very carefully, but did not find the possibility to
switch from RAID to AHCI mode in IRST section. It was only in the possible to do in the Sata Configuration section, so I switched to AHCI
there, the only place where the choice presented itself.
I then checked my bios to see if I succeeded in changing over to AHCI.
YES - that part worked. The Sata Configuration now showed that I am running my G752VY in AHCI and not Raid, which was
impossible before discovering your post. But when I looked at my device manager, I have only one NVMe driver
under Disk Drives, and NOT "both Samsung nvme controllers installed" as you say.
The second driver there concerns the classic sata "mechanical" hard drive (HGST...)

And the Samsung Magician still doesn't work correctly. Everything is greyed out except "Performance Benchmark".

I think that my G752VY is identical to yours despite the fact that I bought it here in France.

The NVMe only pertains to the M2 PCIe Gen3 slot. The 2.5' bay is SATA, never the twain shall meet. So at this point you are seeing just what you should with one M2 drive and the original HGST.
One downfall to Samsung magician is it does not work on OEM drives, consumer based only. The only M2 NVMe drive it works on is the 950 pro if you have the BIOS configured for AHCI in the SATA section. You wont see that in the IRST section, a small booboo but looks like you found it anyway.
From what you have described it all looks as expected.

Ive posted some tweaks for the best performance for the SSDs without having to use Samsung software. The only advantage it gives you is the ability to update the firmware on consumer drives and was originally marketed for the SATA SSDs. Everything else can be done without it. The so called rapid mode is simply using your RAM as a buffer, sort of a hybrid ramdrive. Problem is it reserves that RAM so nothing else can use it and once the buffer is full the perfoance actully tanks and is worse than not using rapid mode. The only thing that shows any gain is crystalmark benchmark test using smaller clusters. Make is large clusters and it will bottom out quickly. Go to write a 10GB file, the first 4-5GB goes fairly fast then it tanks hard.

Probably the most important thing to do is to check you have Win set to optimize, AKA trim. This is done easily type defrag in the search window and select defragment and optimize drives. It should have automatically set the SSD status to on and you wont see any option to defrag, only optimize and below the ability to change the schedule. I go in once a week and click the optimize either way.

here is more
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83092-SM951-M2-SSD-read-speeds-in-a-G751&p=574386&viewfull=1#post574386

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Dear Justin.
You said we complain about few second during the boot time. Please can you check it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gja6GivvF6U&feature=youtu.be

with 2,11 bios and Samsung 950pro nvme ssd. shame!

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Qosmio, i have same problem with you.. I'm using Samsung 950 PRO 512GB as well. with 64GB ram

Hmmm
03-23-2016, 01:15 PM
with 64GB ram

Out of pure curiousity, what kind of stuff do you use your computer for if you need 64GB of RAM? :O I'm happy with my 16GB XD

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Purchase for G752VY, I though this would be my perfect machine ever. But i was wrong, with so many troubles and bugs, going through super bad services and customers care.
I was hopping This machine can actually utilize my 950 Pro with 2500MBs / 1500MBs and 64GB ram. With all those slow boot,slow start, shuttering, ACHI, Raid, Fastboot, and high temperature, abnormal realtek audio IC temperature..
fuhh.... sad.

My previous G750JX was actually perfect, unfortunately, i sold it. with Sata 3 SSD (500mbs) was actually faster than my current 950 Pro. with 3 second start and boot up from cold, deep death state. and at 5th second my games is already running and playing.
GTX770m, who care right? games setting at low is ok anyway
damn..

JustinThyme
03-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Dear Justin.
You said we complain about few second during the boot time. Please can you check it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gja6GivvF6U&feature=youtu.be

with 2,11 bios and Samsung 950pro nvme ssd. shame!

Your video is a legitimate Gripe. I dont experience that. Most that complain are complaining about it taking 18 seconds instead of 8 seconds.
Here is mine on BIOS 211 with 2 950 pros in raid 0. Boot time is the same I had with 206, 208 and single M2 SSD. Others with your problem have reported that if you leave it plugged in you wont get that issue. No excuse I know but a remedy while the BIOS of this machine matures.

As for 64GB of RAM. If you compile videos with Adobe premiere, transcode with anything or batch process photos and grahics more RAM cuts the time of the process dramatically. Pleasae ignore the shaky hands. Too much coffee, not enough food and too darn old!

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Your video is a legitimate Gripe. I dont experience that. Most that complain are complaining about it taking 18 seconds instead of 8 seconds.
Here is mine on BIOS 211 with 2 950 pros in raid 0. Boot time is the same I had with 206, 208 and single M2 SSD. Others with your problem have reported that if you leave it plugged in you wont get that issue. No excuse I know but a remedy while the BIOS of this machine matures.

As for 64GB of RAM. If you compile videos with Adobe premiere, transcode with anything or batch process photos and grahics more RAM cuts the time of the process dramatically. Pleasae ignore the shaky hands. Too much coffee, not enough food and too darn old!

Thank you! Yours is much faster ,probably thanks it for the raid 0. I always leave it plugged , when i disconnect the Ac the boot time is increased to 2 min. No problem with your hands ,just excited Due to the boot time. My is much worse ,sometimes is good while play games and fire with the joystick:)) When you used the 206 bios, is it keep the fast boot setting?

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 04:19 PM
@Qosmio " when i disconnect the Ac the boot time is increased to 2 min." Same here!!!! i just discovered this!!!!

Indeed the 206 will have fastboot saved, and no such slow problem. It only happens beyond bios 206. damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

JustinThyme
03-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Thank you! Yours is much faster ,probably thanks it for the raid 0. I always leave it plugged , when i disconnect the Ac the boot time is increased to 2 min. No problem with your hands ,just excited Due to the boot time. My is much worse ,sometimes is good while play games and fire with the joystick:)) When you used the 206 bios, is it keep the fast boot setting?

Yes when I used 206 it kept fast boot enabled but I didnt see any real difference in boot times with any of them, 206 was maybe 1-2 seconds faster. The change to 211 and two 950 pros in raid didnt change the time from power button to log in for me. Stayed right where it was. I actually disabled windows fast start (from within the OS) for a couple of reasons. For one it doesn't do a hard shutdown, its more like a hybrid sleep. So if you get a hang and do a shutdown then subsequently restart with it enabled you are only reloading the same problem as with fast start up enabled it dumps the kernal, ram and drivers to a file, Hiberfil.sys then you just resume from that. Other problem is with running only SSDs thats just another write every time I shut down that I dont want or need.
I also disable hibernate and sleep as I dont use it or need it and again unnecessary writes to the SSD.

Here is BIOS 208 in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obq-vJfAVPc