PDA

View Full Version : SM951 M2 SSD read speeds in a G751

spaus
02-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Can anyone with an SM951 M2 SSD in a G751 confirm they are getting 2MB/s read speeds in CrystalDisk 5? I have tried everything and cannot achieve those speeds (which should be attainable with this combination). Just wanted to hear from anyone else with this combo to see what their results were. Cheers guys.

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Which SM951?
Does the model Number start with MZVP or MZHP? If its MZVP you are lucky its even working. One member installed it with a hacked up BIOS and got 800 out of it.

Difference is
MZVP=NVME which the 751 does not support
MZHP=AHCI and you should be able to get at least 2000 in crystal mark

spaus
02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Definitely got the AHCI (I'd read about the NVME issues and made sure I got the right one!). The drive is still crazy fast, just pisses me off I can't hit the rated speeds.

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Can you post a screenie of you benchmark? You wrote 2MBps which would equate to the slowest drive on the planet. Even a 5400rpm spinner will get 100MBps over SATA. If you meant 2GBps where the benchmark is actually showing 2000MBps then you are right about where it should be. You can try tweaking settings to maybe gain another 200MBps tops but thats going to be the end of the road. You will never see 3000MBps. I cant even get that on two NVMe drives in RAID 0

JustinThyme
02-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Tweaks, some for performance others for longevity.

Virtual memory off if you have enough RAM. Im sitting on 64GB so Dont need it. Virtual memory is slower and will cause continuous writes and reads and ping your SSD continously. Some say 8GB is plenty, I say if you have 16GB of ram you dont need virtual memory that is slower.

Prefetch/superfetch . This was storing frequently used items in memory for slower drives. Some say turn it off others say leave it on. I say try it both ways and see what works better. May not improve your overall system performance either way which is what the intention was with spinners by keepeing items resident in memory but it may open up a few extra lines to the drive.

Hibernation. Disable it period. More for the health of your drive than speed gain. That's just extra writes you don't need.

Indexing service, this one WILL cause you reduced speed on everything when its in action. Particularly on a new drive for some time. This is another that is personal preference, mine is off. SSDs are plenty fast enough and its not like a spinner that getting moved around.

Large system cache, marks free memory to be used for disk caching. Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Memory usage = System Cache. This is another what works for you, try it and see what happens.

Disable system restore. System Restore will degrade performance significantly within a few weeks and causes issues with TRIM. Do regular backups instead.

Disable defrag if it isnt already. Should happen as soon as the OS in Win 7 and later detects the SSD but Ive seen it not happen more than once.

Write-Cache Buffer Flushing is another try it and see what works better. Right click the SSD and select properties in device manager and
under the Performance tab check the box turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing on this device.

VERY IMPORTATNT!! MAKE SURE THE TRIM IS WORKING!!
Run CMD as admin
In the command line type “fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify”
If DisableDeleteNotify=0 TRIM is Enabled.
If DisableDeleteNotify=1 TRIM is Disabled.

Power settings, Turn off disks to never.

Just things off the top of my head. There are more registry tweaks, some work and others dont. Only way to find out is to try them out. Search out SSD optimization, plenty of reading material to be found.

wmaker
07-08-2016, 04:37 AM
just got my sm951 and cloned the OS hd to it. Its booting fine but was expecting higher speeds. benchmarks from CrystalDisk 5 as it follow.

any idea how to improve them?

JustinThyme
07-10-2016, 03:26 PM
If you have applied the tweaks open task manager and see what program is beating up your SSD and thrashing the crap out of it. 99% of the time its a resource hog AV like Norton or indexing service is running and it will calm down once its indexed.