PDA

View Full Version : Gl551JW: Power Limit Throttling and random BSOD problems.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 12:04 PM
I was getting random BSOD of whea_uncorrectable_error. In XTU, I found out that my cpu was being power limit throttled! I tried to test if it was my power supply by unplugging that, I also tried to test if it was my battery by taking out the battery and having power straight from the PSU. I even tried a factory reset and to still no avail. Does anybody know how to fix my problem? I dont want to have to send in my laptop.

warryabel
02-17-2016, 12:30 PM
uninstall xtu and see what you get! before uninstall get back to default profil in xtu.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
uninstall xtu and see what you get! before uninstall get back to default profil in xtu.

Well, when I uninstall xtu, same problem. Also same problem if it is default profile.

warryabel
02-17-2016, 12:52 PM
intel management engine installed?

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
intel management engine installed?

Yes

warryabel
02-17-2016, 12:58 PM
this issue can be so many things...maybe harddisk, make sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f in cmd
sometimes bad ram or,or,or

warryabel
02-17-2016, 01:08 PM
on latest bios?

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 01:22 PM
on latest bios?

Yes. I also ran those things in cmd and no errors.

Clintlgm
02-17-2016, 01:33 PM
What are your temps running? CPU and GPU will throttle to protect themselves

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 01:45 PM
What are your temps running? CPU and GPU will throttle to protect themselves

My gpu temps are around 70c while gaming. When stress testing my cpu it is around 85c. I do notice though that my package TDP is higher than normal. Could more dust = higher temps = power limit throttle?

warryabel
02-17-2016, 05:17 PM
sureley...i think

andreacos92
02-17-2016, 06:02 PM
No... power Limit Throttling happens only when your CPU reach the TDP.

You have a 4720HQ? In that case, your TDP is 47W for long duration and 58W for short duration (8 sec by default if I'm not wrong).

In which scenario are you experiencing Power Limit throttling?
In some stress tests/benchmark it's normal, and CPU throttles itself to not exceed 58W for the first seconds and 47W for the rest of the stress test/benchmark.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 06:04 PM
No... power Limit Throttling happens only when your CPU reach the TDP.

You have a 4720HQ? In that case, your TDP is 47W for long duration and 58W for short duration (8 sec by default if I'm not wrong).

In which scenario are you experiencing Power Limit throttling?
In some stress tests/benchmark it's normal, and CPU throttles itself to not exceed 58W for the first seconds and 47W for the rest of the stress test/benchmark.

I experience it during long stress period in XTU. I also get 1-5% current limit throttle. I did not get these power throttling before. It does not throttle during first couple of seconds then it starts to do it throughout.

http://imgur.com/enrMuFR

andreacos92
02-17-2016, 06:10 PM
It's normal with stok values.
When you see the Power Throttling, how much is the Package TDP? If it's 47W, it' ok.

You can raise the TDP limits to 50W/60W in XTU, current limit to 90, and undervolt your CPU.
Less volts = less watts for given speed (given multiplier) = less throttling.

However in gaming you will not reach 50W normally, because they don't use all 8 thread at the same time.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 06:12 PM
When you see the Power Throttling, how much is the Package TDP? If it's 47W, it' ok.

You can raise the TDP limits to 50W/60W in XTU, current limit to 90, and undervolt your CPU.

However in gaming you will not reach 50W normally, because they don't use all 8 thread at the same time.

The package TDP is at 46-48 while throttling. http://imgur.com/enrMuFR

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Btw, how do you increase those limits?

andreacos92
02-17-2016, 06:41 PM
You can use XTU, and set them to 50W/60W. A little improvement.

Or use ThrottleStop, you have no limits, but you have to be careful because higher TDP = higher temps.
However, check if you hit power limits during your games or your common applications.
If not, no need to increase Power limits just for stress tests..

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 06:41 PM

I found it but its still 100% power limit throttling?

andreacos92
02-17-2016, 06:49 PM
As I said, its normal.

I reached 85+ W with my 4710 with stress tests that use AVX2 instructions.
But after 2 minutes you reach really high temperatures and CPU starts to thermal throttling. So it's a no sense.

I sugges yout to not go above 70W.

warryabel
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
have unlocked 55 long and 60 short but when load is 100 on 4 cores i only use 51-52 w in throotlestop

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 07:00 PM
As I said, its normal.

I reached 85+ W with my 4710 with stress tests that use AVX2 instructions.
But after 2 minutes you reach really high temperatures and CPU starts to thermal throttling. So it's a no sense.

I sugges yout to not go above 70W.

Well I did undervolt and overclocked like a week ago and this did not happen. My laptop is 6 months old. I have a feeling dust is the culprit for the throttling. Could that be the possibility for the thermal throttling?

Btw, sorry if I misread you saying that my cpu was reaching high temps.

EDIT: Other than what you said about temps(might of misread), looks fine then.

Edit: Keep getting random bsods still. When shutting down got uncorrectable error bsod.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 07:53 PM
I get random BSOD occasionaly.

EDIT: and it is not the volts I put because it is at default values.

nickwarrior5
02-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Well, I decided to call them. Whatever.

andreacos92
02-18-2016, 01:39 AM
have unlocked 55 long and 60 short but when load is 100 on 4 cores i only use 51-52 w in throotlestop

Not every loads are the same.

e.g. Realbench puts 100% load on every 8 threads, but I reach only 55 W max.
Prime95, Linpack, or other stress test that use AVX2 instructions will put same 100% load on every 8 threads, but is a different load, an heavier load that will require more watts. I reached 85 W.
You can try yourself.

Well I did undervolt and overclocked like a week ago and this did not happen. My laptop is 6 months old. I have a feeling dust is the culprit for the throttling. Could that be the possibility for the thermal throttling?

Btw, sorry if I misread you saying that my cpu was reaching high temps.

EDIT: Other than what you said about temps(might of misread), looks fine then.

Edit: Keep getting random bsods still. When shutting down got uncorrectable error bsod.

Well, if you are experiencing POWER limit throttling, then dust has nothing to do with it.

Dust in the fans or in the vents will raise up the temperature, and you will experiencing THERMAL throttling, not POWER limit throttling. And thermal throttling happens only when you reach 94 C on core.

For the BSOD, I don't know, seems strange at stock voltages.

JustinThyme
02-18-2016, 03:10 AM
How many times have you BSOD'd with other than stock settings? It's not at all unheard of to corrupt data during BSODs making a clean install or F9 reset necessary. Done that countless times over the years. It's just part of the hobby you have to deal with when pushing hardware out of its factory comfort zones.

nickwarrior5
02-18-2016, 12:39 PM
How many times have you BSOD'd with other than stock settings? It's not at all unheard of to corrupt data during BSODs making a clean install or F9 reset necessary. Done that countless times over the years. It's just part of the hobby you have to deal with when pushing hardware out of its factory comfort zones.

I have BSOD 1-2 times a day. This happened before and after I did a clean install too. Im sending in my laptop anyways since it is under warranty.

EDIT: It happends on idle, gaming, shutdown, whenever. A specific event does not cause it and it just happends. My RAM has no errors for memtest. Might be something hardware which is why I am sending it in. Also, I never BSOD before when I undervolted -63mv on core and cache. It started BSOD randomly, so I thought to up the volts. Still did not work and I did a factory reset. I then saw power limit throttling when I DID NOT see it before. Which is why I made this thread.

Well, if you are experiencing POWER limit throttling, then dust has nothing to do with it.

TDP(Thermal Design Power) is not messured in watts/volts but heat to calculate how many volts are used. I looked it up and it says that. Which is why I thought it might be dust. I logged the maximum TDP that my cpu gives and it seems to go over the maximum TDP that is allowed untill throttled when it DID NOT before. When I test 8 thread programs, it does power limit throttle, even after I raised the maximum TDP that is allowed.

andreacos92
02-18-2016, 10:57 PM
TDP(Thermal Design Power) is not messured in watts/volts but heat to calculate how many volts are used. I looked it up and it says that. Which is why I thought it might be dust. I logged the maximum TDP that my cpu gives and it seems to go over the maximum TDP that is allowed untill throttled when it DID NOT before. When I test 8 thread programs, it does power limit throttle, even after I raised the maximum TDP that is allowed.

TDP is a Power, and like all other Powers is misured in Watts.
Of course it can be electrical power, thermal power, and so on. But they are Watts.
TDP is used to give an idea of how much heat the CPU will generate, because (again) higher watts = higher heat.
But if you are experiencing Power Limit Throttling is because you reach 47 W limit (or 50 W limit if you maxed it out through XTU).
You can use 47 W and your CPU can still be in the mids 70 C, like you can use 47 W and have your CPU at 90C. It depend on your cooling system.
But until you are not experiencing Thermal Throttling, heat is not the problem.. and XTU reports Thermal Throttling too, so it's easy to detect.

nickwarrior5
02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
TDP is a Power, and like all other Powers is misured in Watts.
Of course it can be electrical power, thermal power, and so on. But they are Watts.
TDP is used to give an idea of how much heat the CPU will generate, because (again) higher watts = higher heat.
But if you are experiencing Power Limit Throttling is because you reach 47 W limit (or 50 W limit if you maxed it out through XTU).
You can use 47 W and your CPU can still be in the mids 70 C, like you can use 47 W and have your CPU at 90C. It depend on your cooling system.
But until you are not experiencing Thermal Throttling, heat is not the problem.. and XTU reports Thermal Throttling too, so it's easy to detect.

Ah, well I sent my pc in to ASUS for BSOD problems anyway, so hopefully they fix it.

fidelity101
03-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Thanks for this thread guys! I was getting "Power Limit Throttling" and the "Package TDP" was not set to display by default. After reading this, I changed my value to 50 Watts and the system is no longer throttling. This means my Core Frequency is staying at 3.39 Ghz instead of dropping to 3.12Ghz. My highest core temperature is 74C so now I just need to research and see what the max safe operating temperatures should be. I'm convering an MKV file over to MP4 format using Handbrake and it's using all 4 cores on my 4710HQ CPU. After a good 18 minutes of active running, my max Core is Core 3 at 76C and my lowest is core 4 at 69C. The fan doesn't seem to be kicking in very often so I guess the system is ok with that? I would like to be able to increase fan speeds so I guess that's the next step.

Also, I cleaned the fan system out as my laptop is now about a year old and cleaning was long overdue. I used my air compressor and got a LOT of dust out of there. Removed the bottom cover and used about 25PSI to blow the hard drives clean and the visible memory. Used about 60PSI to clean the fan ports in the back of the laptop on each side.

Also, best settings for me so far seem to be 36,35,34,34 with TDP set to 50w/60w, Core Voltage Offset set to -80mV, and Cache Voltage Offset set to -80mV. Using these settings, I'm not getting any Thermal Throttling, Power Limit Throttling or Current Limit Throttling. :) Good times