PDA

View Full Version : Display Split Into Six Parts After Cable and LCD Replacement (G750) Any Ideas?

LastOne
02-18-2016, 01:29 PM
About computer:

Windows 8.1

ASUS ASG750JMDS71

Republic of Gamers G750JM-DS71 17.3" Notebook Computer

Nvidia geforce gtx 860m

I may have more than one issue here, so I'll try to go quickly from the beginning. TL;DR - New screen shows 6 small nearly duplicate/mirrored displays.

This computer has almost always had display issues, but I needed it too badly to send it back to the factory. (bad decision, but I can't change it now, and I'm outside of warranty.)

At first the display would get vertical lines in it. It acted very much like a damaged cable. Jiggling the cable fixed it. Much later, the screen would still have that problem, but also would go from color to all white. Putting the computer to sleep and turning it back on would bring back the color display.

The screen eventually went completely black and stayed that way. (no backlight, no display) At that time, I replaced the cable. I still had a black screen.

I took out the old screen, and found a huge dent on it. (pic included) It looks like it's been dropped, or had something dropped on it before assembly. So, I order a new screen. Once I put the new screen in, I now see a display split into six parts. (pic included) I've since updated all of the drivers using the device manager, and also downloaded and installed the drivers straight from Nvidia.

This six split screen is new, and never happened before. I can work with the computer on jump desktop, and the computer thinks it is limited to a 1024x768 60hz screen. (pic included) HDMI output is also 1024x768, without the split screens. If I go to boot menu on start, it also is split 6 ways.

I'm also including a pic of the part number on the new screen. (as I don't know how to verify it is actually the correct screen.)

I have no idea what to do next. Does anyone have ideas?

LastOne
02-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know how I isolate the cause of this? Software/hardware?

cl-Albert
02-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know how I isolate the cause of this? Software/hardware?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and wish it was under better circumstances, but welcome nevertheless!

1. Check your display in the bios, which should help tell you if it is a software or hardware issue, or try Windows Safe Mode which should also give you a good idea, but may not be quite as conclusive.

2. Compare with an external monitor if it's not too difficult to help get an idea if it's related to just your notebook display and related hardware.

If you didn't already know, you can always send it back to ASUS for (out-of-warranty?) service too.
http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Since the 6 screen problem started after you replaced the screen, guessing it's related to that, but probably requires more investigation to be sure.
Would be great if there is a way you could confirm the correct LCD cable for the screen you just installed, or get that cable to try/compare, etc.

Anyway, hopefully others will have some better ideas.

Good luck!