View Full Version : Advice Needed : ASUS contacted me about Upgrading to G-Sync, should I proceed?

02-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Dear Gents

Need your kind advise of upgrading to G-Sync ,. ASUS contacted me already and they told me they wil change the motherboard and BIOS as well , SO , they will change the motherboard . can i proceed with this or no ?

Need just an advice for me and all members as well .

i am afraid about the replacing issue only , is this will affect the performance and other things .

Thanks in advance .

02-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Well, no one can tell you what to do, it's pretty new, and nobody did it yet, it's a risk of course, you just need to decide if having g-sync is worth the possibility of an issue..

Just back up everything if you're sending your laptop, and report back here to let us know how it went :)

02-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Replacing MB means receiving another binned (good or bad) CPU and GPU since they are of BGA connection. So if you were an overclocker and your CPU ran really cool (yields lower running base voltage) and GPU overclocked really high with increased voltage (modified VBIOS). You would be potentially playing the bin lottery again. I wouldn't do it if it was just for G-SYNC and lose all the aforementioned above to it, not a chance.

Now, if your CPU runs really hot (yields higher running base voltage) and GPU can't overclock worth a damn (modified VBIOS) then yeah, do it! The chances of getting something worse than what you had are pretty slim but is still possible.

But if none of that matters and your way isn't to overclock (beyond soft limits anyway) and you aren't paying ASUS extra for that upgrade, then go for it. Nothing to worry about since you're covered through ASUS in this upgrade anyway!

EDIT: This is just how I read the question since I'm an overclocker at heart! It's what came to mind right away!