PDA

View Full Version : g751jt bios chipset tab unlock questions

warryabel
02-19-2016, 02:15 PM
i ve found a tutorial (dreamonics forum) about unlock chipsettab in bios.
hm,all seems to do but as the point where i must search for a hexstring in hexeditor i have issue to find that string. it seems that 010100010101 is not in the provided subfolder.
my question is has someone succesfully unlocked this tab and can give a how to on newest 211 on g751jt?

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 02:57 PM
I believe you may have missed a detail in one of the steps somewhere since it works with BIOS 202 - 211 versions just fine.

Gps3dx
02-19-2016, 03:17 PM
I believe you may have missed a detail in one of the steps somewhere since it works with BIOS 202 - 211 versions just fine.
@Dreamonic - the 211 of G751JT bios is APTIO IV not V right ?
if so... why you break your head with binary, AFAIK Aptio IV and V ( at least with asus bios's ) there is some CRC checkup - so manual HEX edit is dangerous.
1. Are you familiar with this linked tool ? (https://www.bios-mods.com/tools/index.php?dir=AMI+BCP+v3.46%2F)
Also - i haven't yet to fully understand whether you need to so another operation after producing a modded bios though the mentioned tool.
during the time I wrote this post, i've just discovered that even if you got Aptio V there is a newer version of the tools i mentioned above. (http://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU-2.html#msg16210)

2. what about flashing modded bios ? do you have to use AFO ? (http://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU.html)

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 03:18 PM
http://voltground.com/misc/Chipset_Tab.jpg

warryabel
02-19-2016, 03:20 PM
the detail was what? cant it figure out! i came exact to the point where the hex is no found. can only see yuo run 202 in picture and you have g751jy.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 03:26 PM
@Dreamonic - the 211 of G751JT bios is APTIO IV not V right ?
if so... why you break your head with binary, AFAIK Aptio IV and V ( at least with asus bios's ) there is some CRC checkup - so manual HEX edit is dangerous.
1. Are you familiar with this linked tool ? (https://www.bios-mods.com/tools/index.php?dir=AMI+BCP+v3.46%2F)
Also - i haven't yet to fully understand whether you need to so another operation after producing a modded bios though the mentioned tool.
during the time I wrote this post, i've just discovered that even if you got Aptio V there is a newer version of the tools i mentioned above. (http://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU-2.html#msg16210)

2. what about flashing modded bios ? do you have to use AFO ? (http://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU.html)

The Chipset tab cannot be shown any other way other than through a hex edit, and its APTIO IV. Once the hex edit is done, then you can unlock the options via AMIBCP or through UEFITool > Setup.ffs if you want.

You can force it through EasyFlash or with AFUWIN64.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 03:32 PM
the detail was what? cant it figure out! i came exact to the point where the hex is no found. can only see yuo run 202 in picture and you have g751jy.

Does not matter, I can download the G751JT BIOS off ASUS support page and produce the same file and screenshot it for you.

Like I said, you are missing a detail in the steps I provided. Here's proof:

http://voltground.com/misc/Chipset_Tab_2.PNG

EDIT: Most likely, the step you are missing is in Step 4. of my GUIDE and I bet you anything it's the file you've extracted or it's the datatype you've selected in the hex editor for searching it. The datatype has to be in HEX values.

Gps3dx
02-19-2016, 03:55 PM
The Chipset tab cannot be shown any other way other than through a hex edit, and its APTIO IV. Once the hex edit is done, then you can unlock the options via AMIBCP or through UEFITool > Setup.ffs if you want.

You can force it through EasyFlash or with AFUWIN64.
Big thanks ! :o
1. Do you please mind upload the successfull modded BIOS based on 211 for the G751JT
( or a link to YOUR forum's specific thread with the file ? )

2 . From your experience, What parameters can be changed that can really improve our G751JT ?
( beside CPU & GPU overclocking ( which I know is close to your heart, and for that I know to go to your own excellent forum ) )
I mean... there are like 200 parameters in an fully unlocked bios by looking at AMIBCP.

3. not long ago i've seen a thread about thunderbolt, in which I told the ppl there that modded bios might solve their problems. (http://thunderbolt's "Cache-line size" & "TB device i/o resource support")
I wonder if you got external TB ssd and can test out these changes i've stated in that post.

4. lastly, it is important for me to know how to use "crashfree"-like feature.... I mean - how to restore to orig bios if something somewrong... what should I rename the BIOS file, and whether to put it on root of C drive or external USB ?

warryabel
02-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Does not matter, I can download the G751JT BIOS off ASUS support page and produce the same file and screenshot it for you.

Like I said, you are missing a detail in the steps I provided. Here's proof:

http://voltground.com/misc/Chipset_Tab_2.PNG

EDIT: Most likely, the step you are missing is in Step 4. of my GUIDE and I bet you anything it's the file you've extracted or it's the datatype you've selected in the hex editor for searching it. The datatype has to be in HEX values.

the problem is in your tut the hex value for searching is 010100010101 the i found exact the same line as in picture but where is the 00 what i must change?

warryabel
02-19-2016, 04:15 PM
tomatoes on eyes...dreamonic can you pls change my priviliges at your forum?

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Big thanks ! https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.png
1. Do you please mind upload the successfull modded BIOS based on 211 for the G751JT

2 . From your experience, What parameters can be changed that can really improve our G751JT ?
( beside CPU & GPU overclocking ( which I know is close to your heart, and for that I know to go to your own excellent forum ) )
I mean... there are like 200 parameters in an fully unlocked bios by looking at AMIBCP.

3. not long ago i've seen a thread about thunderbolt, in which I told the ppl there that modded bios might solve their problems. (http://thunderbolt%27s%20"Cache-line%20size"%20&%20"TB%20device%20i/o%20resource%20support")
I wonder if you got external TB ssd and can test out these changes i've stated in that post.

4. lastly, it is important for me to know how to use "crashfree"-like feature.... I mean - how to restore to orig bios if something somewrong... what should I rename the BIOS file, and whether to put it on root of C drive or external USB ?

EDIT: One part of my message you quoted in your post didn't have my edit so I'm posting it here.

As for the signed CAP. Simple workaround is dump your current BIOS (AFUWIN64) and open it up in UEFITool and you should notice the CAP is removed.

If you download any version of BIOS on ASUS support page and not make a current dump of your own, and apply hex edit changes without removing the CAP on the downloaded BIOS, then yes, you could potentially brick.

The problem with allowing a premodded BIOS for flashing can result in KB lights not working, no post (UEFI bug between BIOS values your using and the values changed in a modded BIOS) afterwards. So I find it's better for the user to make his/her own changes to their own BIOS. If they are willing to go that far, then they will have a better understanding of the risks and recoveries involved. If most don't want to go through the process of unlocking it, then they shouldn't be searching for it let alone a premodded BIOS with the changes already made. It CAN result in other problems. Just my 2 cents.

Most of the hidden options allow for advanced user control/security (not a whole lot for performance - yet) and right now in the advanced tab I'm trying to unlock the Performance Tuning option. Since you've seen whats listed in AMIBCP, then you know what options can be changed. Some of which can result in having to force a BIOS recovery through EZ-Flash, like when adjusting TOLUD value other than default in the unlocked Chipset tab. I've messed around there just to see what it would do.

Regarding the TB SSD, there are more options available that are hidden in the BIOS, so I'd imagine with it unlocked, there would be trial and error testing required to come to any conclusion before attempting to try different SSD controllers.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
tomatoes on eyes...dreamonic can you pls change my priviliges at your forum?

You are registered, just log in and post there.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 04:24 PM
the problem is in your tut the hex value for searching is 010100010101 the i found exact the same line as in picture but where is the 00 what i must change?

Change:

Result:

warryabel
02-19-2016, 04:40 PM
where i must change the user accses? have two option! i think the first picture...
or here 55763

warryabel
02-19-2016, 04:41 PM

Change:

Result:

tomatoes...done

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 04:45 PM
where i must change the user accses? have two option! i think the first picture...
or here 55763

2nd pic and change access for both to USER or Supervisor

warryabel
02-19-2016, 04:56 PM
ok this was going quick...but i have no balls to flash it....lol

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 05:11 PM
As I've posted in my guide. Recheck everything before flashing, because you're the one taking all the risk here!

I wrote that guide as thorough as I could so it can help prevent any mishaps along the way. So please read it and follow it carefully!

I've had many people use that guide without problems (tested myself as well) so it's not the guide.

warryabel
02-19-2016, 05:18 PM
the guide is perfect...but one step is not easy two change both tabs to user! is this described in your tut?
life is tricky... what is the win for this action? what settings are nessecary for me as an normal user?

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 05:22 PM
It's referenced more like in the very beginning of the guide and is described in Step 10. as well.

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Big thanks ! :o

3. not long ago i've seen a thread about thunderbolt, in which I told the ppl there that modded bios might solve their problems. (http://thunderbolt's "Cache-line size" & "TB device i/o resource support")

Hoping you've made a backup before flashing modified. Not that you can't just take one off the support page for your model on the ASUS site.

I've mostly used the BIOS EasyFlash recovery procedure by just using a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and using the .BIN extension of the same version of modified BIOS, but using the original of course. The filename is a hit and miss thing. I found it doesn't really matter other than for distinguishing it yourself. Like for example, with a G751JY model, you'd use G751JY.BIN - You can but it's not required.

There has been times with the USB ports aren't recognized so some people throw in another HDD/SSD and put their original ROM or another one there and that usually works. You'd know it was working too, even with a black screen because of the way the activity light is dimly blinking and at what point in the process the EasyFlash procedure is at. It'll shutdown itself and that's how you'll know. DO NOT force a restart if you are using this procedure with a black screen because you could be restarting when it's flashing. I usually give a 2min buffer time before doing so in case it didn't load into the right boot device.

With the system powered down, USB flash drive inserted with original BIOS in the .BIN extension and CTRL+HOME keys down. Then PRESS the power button and remain holding only the CTRL+HOME keys down until the EasyFlash recovery screen appears. After flashing is complete, it'll shutdown the system. First boot and you're back to working order again.

EDIT: I've also used this procedure to go from 211 to 202 and any version really for my model (upgrade and downgrade).

antoine52200
02-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Hoping you've made a backup before flashing modified. Not that you can't just take one off the support page for your model on the ASUS site.

I've mostly used the BIOS EasyFlash recovery procedure by just using a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and using the .BIN extension of the same version of modified BIOS, but using the original of course. The filename is a hit and miss thing. I found it doesn't really matter other than for distinguishing it yourself. Like for example, with a G751JY model, you'd use G751JY.BIN - You can but it's not required.

There has been times with the USB ports aren't recognized so some people throw in another HDD/SSD and put their original ROM or another one there and that usually works. You'd know it was working too, even with a black screen because of the way the activity light is dimly blinking and at what point in the process the EasyFlash procedure is at. It'll shutdown itself and that's how you'll know. DO NOT force a restart if you are using this procedure with a black screen because you could be restarting when it's flashing. I usually give a 2min buffer time before doing so in case it didn't load into the right boot device.

With the system powered down, USB flash drive inserted with original BIOS in the .BIN extension and CTRL+HOME keys down. Then PRESS the power button and remain holding only the CTRL+HOME keys down until the EasyFlash recovery screen appears. After flashing is complete, it'll shutdown the system. First boot and you're back to working order again.

Great tuto man! Really, Everything worked great on my g751JT..

Can't wait to more stuff like this on your forum!

Dreamonic
02-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

It's a long process making those guides because if I say too much in them, then the message can be lost and if I say too little, then the message isn't clear enough to proceed confidently. Plus, I feel the need to express the possibilities of failure and recovery solutions along the way. So I've probably proofread each guide at least several dozen times until I was satisfied enough to post them.

More will be on the way!

antoine52200
02-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

It's a long process making those guides because if I say too much in them, then the message can be lost and if I say too little, then the message isn't clear enough to proceed confidently. Plus, I feel the need to express the possibilities of failure and recovery solutions along the way. So I've probably proofread each guide at least several dozen times until I was satisfied enough to post them.

More will be on the way!

I managed just fine!

This new forum is a great idea, we were missing this so much on the ASUS laptop community..

Thanks for taking the time :)

warryabel
02-19-2016, 09:57 PM
thx for helping hand(eye)

ROG_HARDCORE
02-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Does it compatible with G752VY? The modding methods.

Dreamonic
02-20-2016, 03:27 AM
It's similar in execution but the steps would be changed slightly. I'll be making a specific guide for those models too for unlocking it.

ROG_HARDCORE
02-20-2016, 03:37 AM
It's similar in execution but the steps would be changed slightly. I'll be making a specific guide for those models too for unlocking it.

Thanks, will be waiting for it. ;)

Regarding the Vbios, any difference than the stock which is updated on asus website? Only unlock overclocking range right?

Dreamonic
02-20-2016, 04:27 AM
PM sent

KotTHECat
01-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Change:

Result:

Any ideas how to unlock Chipset tab on Maximus VIII Hero (Z170)?