PDA

View Full Version : GL552VW Replacing the 2.5" HDD results in boot failure

formosan
02-22-2016, 08:12 AM
if I have original HDD in, it boots fine.
if I replace the original HDD with a SSD it will not boot, power led blinks once, no BIOS screen, and fans don't run.
if I replace the original HDD with aftermarket HDD it will not boot, no BIOS.
if I boot from M.2 slot it boots fine.
If I tried to boot from M.2 slot with aftermarket HDD in SATA lot it will not boot, no BIOS either.
if I boot from M.2 slot with original HDD in SATA slot it boots.
if I booted into windows from M.2 slot, then insert original HDD it will recognize the HDD.
If I booted into windows from M.2 slot, then insert aftermarket SSD or HDD, computer shuts off.

It appears there is some sort of security lock where you replace the HDD with non-factory HDD/SSD in the SATA slot the computer will not boot at all, not even the BIOS comes up.

I am on BIOS ver 216
Secure boot is OFF in BIOS.

Romanul
02-22-2016, 03:08 PM
What ssd are u using

Julskey
02-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Have you tried the after market ssd/hdd in another computer? Maybe it is defective and causing an error or short circuit on the main board?

formosan
02-23-2016, 08:36 AM
I've tried a Crucial M500 and an Intel 520, the Seagate 2TB (ST2000LM003) and TOSHIBA 1TB (MQ01ABD100). The Crucial was my old drive before I upgraded, the Intel is tested as good. and both hard drives are new. They can't be all bad.

Julskey
02-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Try to go to bios setup using your original ssd. Check at security tab to see if an hdd password was setup.

Clintlgm
02-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Have you tried hitting the Esc key on boot up this brings up a boot menu select your new SSD to boot from? It could be that with a new drive in your system your boot manager does not know what to do?

JustinThyme
02-23-2016, 05:52 PM
How long are you waiting? Often when you make a hardware change it takes a minute or more for the BIOS to reconfigure. Just adding two sticks of ram for me took about two minutes. Had me worried but then just let it go and it did its thing with no problems later.

Did you wipe the drives with a clean command that leaves them uninitialized ? Are you trying to boot with two drives plugged in that were both labeled as C:\ with a boot partition?

The drives are NOT hot swapable and should NEVER be plugged in or unplugged while the machine is running!!!!!!! This in itself can TOAST your drive controller!!!

Just when you think they cant all be bad is when you find out they are.