PDA

View Full Version : G771JW chokes and poor performance

ONE_HAND_W
02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
So i bought G771JW model and tried some games and even though suggested graphic settings are HIGH The games wont still perform nicely on low settings. I've been going through different forums and come to conclusion that ASUS ROG gaming notebooks choke under stress and perform poorly because of overheating ? I've flashed bios from what it was when I unboxed to 211 and it didn't make a difference?

Example what happens . Game and nvidia experience suggests high settings and after running 1 to 5 min game starts lag and choking and is unplayable. I set settings to low and same thing happens after 5 minutes of gaming and gets frustrating and annoying.

So is there anything else I can do than try to get refunds and warn others not to buy ROG notebooks for any kind of gaming?

Clintlgm
02-24-2016, 02:33 PM
I haven't seen a G771 up close but looking at the pictures I don't see the cooling system that we have with the G75, G750, G751 and G752, the G 771 and G551 appear to be non gaming notebooks branded ROG, Just my observation from Asus own advertising. I would suggest you return this notebook and buy either a G751 or G752. A little research will show you that these two generations of Gaming notebooks are quite different from what you have especially in the cooling dept. I would also steer clear of he GL 752 for the same reason that model also has a less efficient cooling system and downgraded hardware. Just my opinon from post here and actually spending some time reading specification and looking at the pictures.

With all that said, if your maxing out and throttling on low game setting you probably have a bad pasting on your CPU or and GPU or defective Fan, as any new ROG notebook should be able to play at low setting. You can verify what your CPU GPU and Fan Speeds using Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)running the Sensors only you will be able to see and log what your actual load temps and fan speeds are.

ONE_HAND_W
02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
I haven't seen a G771 up close but looking at the pictures I don't see the cooling system that we have with the G75, G750, G751 and G752, the G 771 and G551 appear to be non gaming notebooks branded ROG, Just my observation from Asus own advertising. I would suggest you return this notebook and buy either a G751 or G752. A little research will show you that these two generations of Gaming notebooks are quite different from what you have especially in the cooling dept. I would also steer clear of he GL 752 for the same reason that model also has a less efficient cooling system and downgraded hardware. Just my opinon from post here and actually spending some time reading specification and looking at the pictures.

With all that said, if your maxing out and throttling on low game setting you probably have a bad pasting on your CPU or and GPU or defective Fan, as any new ROG notebook should be able to play at low setting. You can verify what your CPU GPU and Fan Speeds using Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)running the Sensors only you will be able to see and log what your actual load temps and fan speeds are.

So G771JW is non-gaming notebook branded by ROG and the shop where i bought it it was sold as high-end gaming laptop? This sounds like reclamation. Thank you for your help

JustinThyme
02-24-2016, 09:23 PM
After a very short look at the first hits of reviews of this machine they all said the same thing. Multimedia Laptop that throttles under heavy load. Just seeing the 860m GPU in the specs tells all you need to know. With the G751 and G752 machines the JL and VL versions 965m barely pulls off low settings. The 965m is a bit better than the 860m but the biggest difference is the chassis build and cooling. IMO their are only two levels actually worthy of being called gaming machines. That would be the G751JT and JY as well as the G752 VT and VY. The JY and VY machines have the 980m that will pretty much double the benchmark scores of the 860m.

With all that said you shouldn't be throttling, it shouldn't suck any worse 5 mins in than it did in the beginning on low settings. Download and install CPUZ HW monitor and leave it run in the background while playing. It gives you a min/max of clocks, voltages and temps. See how high your temps are getting and of its reason for it to throttle. Maybe more users of the same rig can chime in with what they get.

If you want entry level gaming try the G751JL or G752VL. They both will perform better than the G771 and won't overheat. Difference is they are not slim and they are heavier. If you want one that will take on pretty much everything with performance approaching a high end gaming desktop the JY or VY. Just be ready to open up those purse strings.

I can only speak for myself of course but if I were you and the place I bought it from was pushing it as a high end gaming rig I would be back in that store with my volume turned up a notch or two along with a print out of the specs of this machine and the specs of a JY or VY and educate them on what "High End" gaming laptop means.