PDA

View Full Version : G73JW-A1 Speaker Pop

alkaline
11-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Recently got the ASUS G73JW-A1 and noticed the speakers popping right before a sound plays. Its a static or pop that occurs when the speaker is about to play a sound and it hasn't been used in a while. It is also noticeable on startup, when the speaker pops before the windows startup sound.

I've installed the R2.54 drivers from the Realtek website, uninstalled it, reverted back to ASUS default drivers. Didn't solve the problem. The only solution I've found is disabling the Realtek HD Audio Manager from starting up.

Are there any more permanent solutions to this issue or is ASUS working on this at all? I noticed there were others having the same issue in the G73JW owner's lounge on notebookreviews.

Spunkgamer
11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I have the g73jh so i'm only guessing here but did it come with creative audio software on it? If so look here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/519474-my-petition-getting-creative-mb-upgrade-g73jh-13.html

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Are you still experiencing the speaker pop issue?

eeeyyyeee
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm experiencing this problem too. is that notebookreview linked solution a good one or what? is it a lack of win7 compatbility that's the issue here?

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm experiencing this problem too. is that notebookreview linked solution a good one or what? is it a lack of win7 compatbility that's the issue here?

What BIOS version are you running on your Notebook?
You can view this information with CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
The BIOS Version is under the Mainboard tab

Make sure you are running the latest Audio drivers

Brian@ASUS
12-10-2010, 01:50 AM
were your g73 with the popping issue purchased from bestbuy or elseware?

jljtgr
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I've sort of experienced similar except I only hear the pop on the corner audio jack. The laptop speakers either don't exhibit it or cover it up compared to headphones.

More or less the pop occurs when Windows hasn't played any sound for approximately 11 seconds. It's as though it's powering down the device. The pop will occur again when trying to play a sound again for the first time after the "power down" pop. The audio device's driver claims it's always in power state D0, however. (Fully on)

Often enough I'm playing WinAMP or something when I have my headphones on, so it never gets to do the "power down" pop and it doesn't bother me much. I just thought I'd bring up a "me too" post.

G73JW-A1 (TigerDirect)
Fully clean install of Windows 7 x64
6.0.1.6162 Realtek drivers from the ASUS site
Original 202 BIOS

Which sort of brings up a question. What exactly are the changes with the 203 BIOS for the JW? I can't find any change-logs anywhere for it.

Chastity@ASUS
12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
The Creative app on the JW is the X-Fi MB2 package, and is Win 7 compliant, so that should not be causing an issue. It sounds like the internal kernel mixer (kmixer) is not initializing properly. I would suggest downloading and installing Microsoft's DirectX update for June 2010, since DirectSound is the system's default playback system. Everybody updates drivers, but forgets about the OS. :)

jljtgr
12-12-2010, 04:44 AM
FYI, since Windows won't easily tell you what version of DirectX you have, if you have:
C:\Windows\System32\D3DX9_43.dll

You have the June 2010 runtimes installed.

tdeanw
12-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Chastity solution worked for me. I had terrible popping when I switched from headphones to the speakers or when I started up with the headphones not plugged in. (Logitech G930). I updated the Directx and no more popping.

Thanks a million as it was really starting to annoy me.

Rayden
12-22-2010, 01:10 AM
I noticed the same problem. Its not a loud noise or anything but still it gets annoying. This happens with the mute on. I will try updating DirectX as well.

Rayden
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
New DirectX didn't help :(

Chastity@ASUS
12-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Do you have the mic muted? If not, do so.

Rayden
12-23-2010, 01:40 AM
That's not really an option for me as I do lots of Skype calls. I just followed the initial founding and remove realtek program from system start up. It didn't happen so far. However I wonder what I lost by doing so. Any idea?

gabrielet
01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Same problem with my G73 JW TZ154V......

canteenboy
01-06-2011, 11:50 PM
If you end task the Realtek control panel the popping will go away.

felixsapiens
01-09-2011, 03:58 AM
I also have this problem. A pop from the speakers momentarily before a sound is played: it's as if every 10 seconds or so, the sound card goes to sleep, and when new sounds are played, it "pops" into life.

Can someone clarify exactly what the Realtek HD Audio Manager does before I disable it? For example, I often output video via HDMI to my TV, is disabling the Realtek Control Panel going to affect this?

suki7
01-21-2011, 03:15 AM
i had the same problem with my G73JW-XT1. i tried removing realtek drivers and only using only creative drivers and vice versa. also tried removing both drivers and using the default windows audio drivers and still didn't work. I had the unit RMA'd one day after i received it from tigerdirect brand new. I waited a month for it to be repaired and now it works fine and I have it hooked up to my studio monitors. in my case, some of it was attributed to the faulty hardware. on my report sheet that came with my RMA'd system, they replaced a couple of parts but I can't really identify which ones. it was also an OS error too. I remembered that on my first boot up installing windows 7, i got an error somehow but didn't take note of what it was. anyway good luck with everything. buying a g73 is sort of like playing the lottery for getting a flawless unit.

sirsteelflex
01-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Its a hardware Issue. My friends did the same and he sent it in to asus. They said the rewired his motherboard.

gauss256
01-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I also have the popping on my G73Jw-3DE. I have the latest DirectX, Realtek drivers, and my BIOS version is 203.

Someone please tell me it's not a hardware problem.