PDA

View Full Version : Should I update Drivers? (Sound) [Realtek HD Audio]

SwedishDragon
02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
I have a G751JT with Windows 8.1, and i have noticed the common problem with crackling after ~10 sec idling, and changing the "Power Managment" in RegEdit seems to have solved that problem. I have another problem though: When i mute the sound while using my ATH-m50x headphones, i hear some (most often pretty faint, but still audible) "white" noise in the background, which disappears if i "unmute" again. Might anybody know as to why this happens?

I seem to have no problems otherwise (i don't use MaxxAudio or anything like that, only the regular Realtek HD-sound configuration "wizard", with no extra settings). Now, the thing is that my current driver version is "7335" and the latest seem to be "7432", and i'm a bit reluctant to update the driver since when it comes to drivers, i've learned that the classical "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"-saying is more relevant than ever (when it comes to drivers), the noise generated when muting sound is relativately minor, and i almost never use the built in speakers, so there almost seems like there is no reason to update.
Does anybody have any input on whether an update would only be beneficial, or if it can possibly induce problems? (NVidia graphic drivers are a perfect example of new drivers possibly inducing problems.)

I know at least the first issue (which i also gratefully found the solution for) have already been talked a lot about, not sure about the other, but after going through numerous threads and pages on this forum that have to do with this subject, i still feel pretty confused, hence the new topic. I'm thankful for any help.

EDIT: Forgot about this thread, but i've had no issues to speak of after updating as of yet.

toronto699
02-27-2016, 11:49 PM
when ever I install drivers I always make a windows restore point , so if the new driver is not as good as the previous driver I can easily go back to the original driver I had. as for updating that's up to you but when I see a new driver for my machine I try them out ,, some times they are better or no difference

SwedishDragon
02-28-2016, 08:03 AM
when ever I install drivers I always make a windows restore point , so if the new driver is not as good as the previous driver I can easily go back to the original driver I had. as for updating that's up to you but when I see a new driver for my machine I try them out ,, some times they are better or no difference

That's actually a really good idea.

SwedishDragon
02-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Update completed. I've not encountered any issues yet and the white noise while mute seems to actually be less prevalent now, but i'll have to give it some time.

One weird thing though was that i still had to disable the Power Management setting in RegEdit, something that (IIRC) the newest driver should have done automatically (aka. by default), but i thought that maybe the new driver just switches the setting, assuming that most people would have either not done it manually, or would just go and do it again. This speculation is of course dependant on if the newest driver was actually supposed to fix that problem.

I'll let people know if i run into any issues that seem to be connected to updating the Realtek HD Audio driver, but for now, thanks for the help! :)

EDIT: Forgot about this thread, but i've had no issues to speak of after updating as of yet.