PDA

View Full Version : G771JW - Potential Usb Interface Issue

Zora
03-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Hey Everyone.

I've been having some weird issues where I haven't been able to find out the actual issue. First it was a brand new Madcatz Rats 9 Wireless mouse that becan to perform erratic after a few weeks, where the cursor would jump from one absolut point to another, then it also began
to lock the cursor to the vertical axis. Then I returned it and got a new one. Which oddly enough began to display the same weird performance issues after a few weeks. Then I did some research and found that it could be the specific USB 3 slots not being
with the the mouse, but Madcatz state that the mouse is fully compatible with USB 3, so it could only be specific to these specific USB 3 slots in this model. However, I tried a workaround using a 2.0 USB cable which would downgrade it to running USB 2.0.
The same weird performance is still present. One important thing to mention here, this is not a constant issue but comes at random times, but still many times daily. I've tried all USB slots in the machine, still keep happening.

Now I've had an almost new headset which there was no issues with in the beginning, but after a few months they began to sort of disconnect while both in and out of games, where I'd here a slight static sound in the headsets speakers, then they'd disable the sound and then return after a few seconds. This would happen randomly but several times a day.

Now I don't know if these issues with the mouse and usb headset are somehow connected, but what they both have in common is that they use the usb interface.

I don't know if this is somehow a software issue or a hardware issue, but seems to be related with the usb interface, potentially a power surge, which would explain the erratic behavior.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience about this?

Also to mention the Mouse have actually been returned and swapped to a new one a total of 3 times - all after a few weeks begin to exhibit the same erratic behavior. Which I think would be a bit too coincidental.

/Zora

JustinThyme
03-11-2016, 09:33 PM
USB ports don't normally cause strange behaviors in the connected hardware. They generally work or don't work and in some instances drop the connection and reconnect. As much as it sounds coincidental with the mouse the simple fact that they worked fine then went haywire points to something other than the USB port. Possibly a driver issue with the device.

I just read some info from a google search of your mouse and erratic behavior exactly as you have described. Some have had problems with foreign matter in the optics and others simply the surface they are using and changing mouse pads solved the problem. Im not much of a gaming mouse person, I lean towards the high end Logitech MX series that will work on glass even.

The headset could be sound chip taking a nap which is almost a certainty if you hear static or popping with it starts/stops

Zora
03-11-2016, 10:22 PM
USB ports don't normally cause strange behaviors in the connected hardware. They generally work or don't work and in some instances drop the connection and reconnect. As much as it sounds coincidental with the mouse the simple fact that they worked fine then went haywire points to something other than the USB port. Possibly a driver issue with the device.

I just read some info from a google search of your mouse and erratic behavior exactly as you have described. Some have had problems with foreign matter in the optics and others simply the surface they are using and changing mouse pads solved the problem. Im not much of a gaming mouse person, I lean towards the high end Logitech MX series that will work on glass even.

The headset could be sound chip taking a nap which is almost a certainty if you hear static or popping with it starts/stops

Yes I read that too with the surface and have already tried several mouse pads, both a gaming and standard, now just using the table surface, keeps happening.
I have tried updating drivers already, both for the usb interface and the mouse - but still to no avail. And like I wrote I also tried forcing it to run the 2.0 USB by using a 2.0 usb extender cable, and again it didn't change anything.
Which is why I'm thinking it may be related to that. I was talking to my dad about earlier, he said that it could be a heat issue, but I don't really believe a heat issue could be cause this.
One thing that might be the cause, could be because I'm running windows 10 and could incompatibility issues with the OS. Sometimes blowing air into the optics usually stops it, but sometimes not. However there is something I haven't mentioned that the mouse it self also does at times, is that it changes dpi setting either to max or the lowest - without me touch the dpi switch.
That behavior to me seems like an hardware issue, because a foreign matter in the optics should not manually change the dpi, nor would it be driver related as it switches dpi setting on the mouse and not in the system / program that manages it. The leds on the mouse either light up or dim down depending on what it switched too.
Currently I'm very close to returning it and simply getting a different mouse to see if there is any difference, but the reason I'm holding back is because the mouse is fully customizable to my hand. But to me it seems it may be the mouse thats defective, but I'm concerned with that its my actual usb interface thats cause this to happen (for instance because of power surges from within the pc).

With the headset sound chip taking a nap, would seem there is an issue with the driver or the headset itself then, because its only doing it while
being used actively in a game, watching video or listening to music, so it shouldn't be taking a nap. The static noise also continues if its the third time in a row its done it without being unplugged when the sound comes back.