PDA

View Full Version : G752VY BIOS 211 - Left fan works more than the right?

Hmmm
03-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Hi!

I updated to BIOS G752VY.211 a few days ago. I am noticing that the left fan on the back of the computer works more than the right. It hasn't been that way before, as I regularly check the fans.
Is there something I should do to fix this, or is it safe to ignore? Right now, for example, I have a virus scan running in the background, and the left fan is actually quite hard at work while the right one is pretty much just relaxing.

Is there a software program I can use to determine how much work the right fan is actually doing? It would be interesting to see if such a program reports any issues.
Alternatively, how would I downgrade to the former BIOS version and check that? Is it as easy and safe as downloading the previous BIOS from the ASUS support site and just installing it, or should I go through a more complicated process?

I really appreciate any help I can get with this! :)

Clintlgm
03-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Yes Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)run the sensors and you'll be able to see CPU and GPU Loads Temps and Fan speeds.

Hmmm
03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Yes Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)run the sensors and you'll be able to see CPU and GPU Loads Temps and Fan speeds.

Thank you for linking me to that program! I have the sensor list in front of me right now, but I'm afraid I am unable to find fan speeds in the list. :/ It's a long list, so maybe I am just missing it, but I have really tried and I can't find it. Do you have any advice if it happens to use an alternative name, or where it might be, specifically, in the long list? :)

Clintlgm
03-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Here they are on my desktop, don't have access to my laptop right now.

Hmmm
03-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Here they are on my desktop, don't have access to my laptop right now.

That's weird, the program doesn't show that information on my computer :O
Oh no! :/ What should I do? :(

EDIT: I just went to the ASUS Global driver support page, and it doesn't list BIOS 211. Maybe it actually wasn't meant for my specific computer, or region, or something... I'm thinking I should maybe downgrade to the latest BIOS version available on that page. Is that as easy as downloading the BIOS and just installing it, or should I use a more complicated process?

nab
03-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Download old previous bios (stable on)
Put the bios inside the Winflash folder to be sure.
Run Winflash with /nodate command (launch cmd, cd to your winflash folder, run the command Winflash.exe /nodate or Winflash /nodate)
You should be able to downgrade your bios without any problem.

diogogmaio
03-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I also noticed this problem in BIOS 211.
Are they more people with this issue?
Maybe I will try to roll back also to check the fans.
Hmmm, try to do it and if it solves your issue.

nab
03-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Not sure who add a negative reputation linked to my intervention
on this thread and tell that I spam in reputation comment. I was giving advice
about how to downgrade the easy way because the person ask.
If you have a problem with my intervention contact a moderator
but don't badly judge my intervention where they was nothing negative about that
You don't appreciate my intervention move on but don't act like a kid.
Thank you (sorry for the off) Take care

ROG_HARDCORE
03-15-2016, 12:36 PM
All the Bios version have bug, But i need ACHI to run Samsung 950 Pro 512GB with magician and controller. Cannot downgrade.
I'm still waiting for the responds, and updates from the asus.

Hmmm
03-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Run Winflash with /nodate command (launch cmd, cd to your winflash folder, run the command Winflash.exe /nodate or Winflash /nodate)

Thank you for the advice, but I rarely use the command prompt, so I am not sure how to use the "cd" command. I think I'll try to just run WinFlash like normal first and see if that works. :)

Interesting to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this issue! I'm not sure whether I should feel happy that others are experiencing it or if I should feel sad that the issue may be more widespread than I assumed. Either way, thanks for letting me know that you are also noticing it!

Not sure who add a negative reputation linked to my intervention
on this thread and tell that I spam in reputation comment.

Definitely not me, I value your advice! :)

I'm still waiting for the responds, and updates from the asus.

I am honestly not sure if we can expect ASUS to respond. Except for Apple, which actually has its own Genius Bar in Apple Stores for helping users, I don't know any technology company that actually sets up ways to directly help users with their issues. It's unfortunate and I wish tech companies would spend more resources on support, but I think you're going to have to count on the Internet for help, and maybe a future BIOS update will fix both of our issues! :)

Hmmm
03-15-2016, 02:11 PM

I was a little too quick to say no to your suggestion in my previous reply. Just running WInFlash normally didn't actually let me flash to the older BIOS, but with your advice I managed to get WinFlash to change the BIOS after all. Thank you! :D

I downgraded to BIOS 208 from the ASUS Global support site, and immediately when the fans kicked in to cool the notebook while booting, both fans were doing the work. The balance of the universe is restored! :P
That's my literal first impression, though. I've had BIOS 208 for less than 5 minutes. So far so good, but that can change (although I hope it won't :P). So my advice for you is to downgrade, and let's hope both of our machines work perfectly for a long time! :)

nab
03-15-2016, 03:06 PM
I was a little too quick to say no to your suggestion in my previous reply. Just running WInFlash normally didn't actually let me flash to the older BIOS, but with your advice I managed to get WinFlash to change the BIOS after all. Thank you! :D

No need to thank me ;) take care.

diogogmaio
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Ok.

So the explanation is the BIOS.
In my case i have a G751jy - BIOS 211...
Should I rollback to what version?
Can someone help?
Nab?

BIOS 211
To fix system hanging issue (code 0x72)

BIOS 210
Update FW

Maybe to BIOS 210??
And if I have then this problem ---> fix system hanging issue (code 0x72)??

Thanks

nab
03-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Ok.

So the explanation is the BIOS.
In my case i have a G751jy - BIOS 211...
Should I rollback to what version?
Can someone help?
Nab?

BIOS 211
To fix system hanging issue (code 0x72)

BIOS 210
Update FW

Maybe to BIOS 210??
And if I have then this problem ---> fix system hanging issue (code 0x72)??

Thanks

It could be bios related, which bios you had before the Bios 211 ? the most stable Bios version I know on the G751, was 206/207.
I didn't take a look to any of Asus bios since while. So I can't recommend a specific version.
If you know exactly which bios was more stable for you, you should probably go back to this one.

The problem with bios in general is that, you fix one issue and another one can appear depending the platform.

Hmmm
03-15-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure if we have the same BIOS. Probably not since we have different generational devices. So I wouldn't necessarily say that my problem with G752VY.211 is related to your problem on G751JY.211. Normally I would give you any advice I had, but I don't know enough about BIOS to confidently give you any answers. Sorry! :/

diogogmaio
03-15-2016, 03:28 PM
It could be bios related, which bios you had before the Bios 211 ? the most stable Bios version I know on the G751, was 206/207.
I didn't take a look to any of Asus bios since while. So I can't recommend a specific version.
If you know exactly which bios was more stable for you, you should probably go back to this one.

The problem with bios in general is that, you fix one issue and another one can appear depending the platform.

If i am not mistaken I had BIOS 210. So i will roll to that.

JOHATASH
03-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Same problem...

JOHATASH
03-16-2016, 09:51 PM
I Checked the Temp in 211 bios VS 206 by playing games with high/ultra quality
It seems realy old bios works better about 5-6 C temp colder than 211 bios.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testing program GPU-Z

Log files you can see here

https://dropmefiles.com/YnanU

I can't attach files here for no reason:(

With CPU same theme about 85C degree in 206bios VS 91C in 211

banditek
03-16-2016, 11:03 PM
I had exactly the same problem! Now that it was returned from RMA, where they changed my motherboard and keyboard, since after previous RMA the keyboard just wouldnt lit, now its on 208 and both fans work as they should.

PS. Thank you nab! At least in the future i will know how to downgrade bios :)

diogogmaio
03-17-2016, 12:05 AM
I Checked the Temp in 211 bios VS 206 by playing games with high/ultra quality
It seems realy old bios works better about 5-6 C temp colder than 211 bios.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testing program GPU-Z

Log files you can see here

https://dropmefiles.com/YnanU

I can't attach files here for no reason:(

With CPU same theme about 85C degree in 206bios VS 91C in 211

Can we try to check what is the most stable? Like the 210?

JOHATASH
03-17-2016, 05:41 PM
I think the most stable Stay 206ver

diogogmaio
03-18-2016, 10:31 AM
I think the most stable Stay 206ver

I understand.

It is kind of odd this behaviour...

We have 207,208,209,210 and 211. Any of those are not good bios version?!

I don't mind getting back to 206...it is just a matter of the update is old. 10 months difference to 211.

Boxis
03-20-2016, 10:21 AM
I have tried to downgrade bios after the recent G-Sync update to 206, but after doing so, the GPU is not detected at all. Problem disappears after updating back to 211.

karl6774
03-20-2016, 10:54 AM
I understand.

It is kind of odd this behaviour...

We have 207,208,209,210 and 211. Any of those are not good bios version?!

I don't mind getting back to 206...it is just a matter of the update is old. 10 months difference to 211.

for the portable G752VY we only 206,208,211 where the 207,209,210 that you say ?

nab
03-20-2016, 11:21 AM
I have tried to downgrade bios after the recent G-Sync update to 206, but after doing so, the GPU is not detected at all. Problem disappears after updating back to 211.
This is because the G-sync module (EFI layer) was introduced with the bios 207. earlier revision doesn't include it.

karl6774
03-20-2016, 01:01 PM
This is because the G-sync module (EFI layer) was introduced with the bios 207. earlier revision doesn't include it.

the bios 207 is NOT for G752VY but il G752VT

JustinThyme
03-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Once again we are all over the place with different notebooks. Is this thread for the G752VY?
There was no Gsync module changed or introduced on any G752 model. If referring to BIOS issues with G751 early builds please make a separate thread for that.

Karl is right there have been only 3 BIOS revsions on the G752VY. 206, 208 and 211.

FYI BIOS 211 is back up without the notes it had before with notes "Update FW"

I didnt note any fan issues on my machine but Ill double check before I install this latest BIOS post to see if its any different.

nab
03-20-2016, 02:05 PM
the bios 207 is NOT for G752VY but il G752VT

Boxis was talking about the G751, the bios 207 introduced the module/layer dedicated to G-sync.
Concerning the fan control issue, it is bios related (G752) and going back to older one resolve the problem, follow previous
answer.

Did you saw me quoting someone else ?

G751/G752 share similar fan issue (I had similar one on G751 while ago when I had G751) it was bios related
due to wrong table, now it look like the problem is still here on the G752 that look exactly the same problem.

karl6774
03-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Boxis was talking about the G751, the bios 207 introduced the module/layer dedicated to G-sync.
Concerning the fan control issue, it is bios related (G752) and going back to older one resolve the problem, follow previous
answer.

Did you saw me quoting someone else ?

G751/G752 share similar fan issue (I had similar one on G751 while ago when I had G751) it was bios related
due to wrong table, now it look like the problem is still here on the G752 that look exactly the same problem.

this is a discussion of G752VY what does the 751 since we then we also speak of formula one or toshiba and apple , you know I tried the 211 bios on my toshiba but remains black screen

nab
03-20-2016, 02:45 PM
this is a discussion of G752VY what does the 751 since we then we also speak of formula one or toshiba and apple , you know I tried the 211 bios on my toshiba but remains black screen

What about you read previous answer, from the beginning to the end, you will know that problem was resolve by downgrading the bios.
Since the G751 is just the previous model and also shared the same problem, they only ask if returning to last stable bios will help
resolving the problem, downgrading the bios proof that it can be the solution, like I said last bios is not necessary the best one.

Next time please take time to read previous post, thank you, take care.

JustinThyme
03-20-2016, 04:33 PM
I think what we are gertting at Nab is the thread is labeled

G752VY BIOS 211 - Left fan works more than the right?

Please start a different thread for issues with other models. This is what causes people to get confused. Kral has a valid point in that the BIOS of the G752 in nowhere near the same of the G751. Two different platforms completely that only have one thing in common, the 980M GPU.

Next time please take care to read the the title of the thread, thank you, take care.

Now on a different note and back on topic. I've been running the crap out of my G752VY-DH72 on the BIOS 211 that was posted up some time ago and noted no fan anomalies or temp variations to cause and fan anomalies after several hours. At idle it spins down and stays very low, when loaded it accelerates just as it always had in the past. The left fan viewed from the position of use is the CPU fan. Please keep in mind that the two fans work independently.

Not saying 100% that it isnt BIOS related, just that if it is the BIOS is not the only factor. Could be possible conflict of the SMBUS settings and other software.

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 06:04 AM
I think what we are gertting at Nab is the thread is labeled

G752VY BIOS 211 - Left fan works more than the right?

Please start a different thread for issues with other models. This is what causes people to get confused. Kral has a valid point in that the BIOS of the G752 in nowhere near the same of the G751. Two different platforms completely that only have one thing in common, the 980M GPU.

Next time please take care to read the the title of the thread, thank you, take care.

Now on a different note and back on topic. I've been running the crap out of my G752VY-DH72 on the BIOS 211 that was posted up some time ago and noted no fan anomalies or temp variations to cause and fan anomalies after several hours. At idle it spins down and stays very low, when loaded it accelerates just as it always had in the past. The left fan viewed from the position of use is the CPU fan. Please keep in mind that the two fans work independently.

Not saying 100% that it isnt BIOS related, just that if it is the BIOS is not the only factor. Could be possible conflict of the SMBUS settings and other software.

Guys where dide you find 211 Bios version for g752 vy? I was searching in asus support and there is only 207 for that model.
Will you provide some links for that Bios?

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 09:37 AM
What da... Where is 207 for G752VY??

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

Hmmm
03-23-2016, 01:14 PM
The left fan viewed from the position of use is the CPU fan. Please keep in mind that the two fans work independently.

I didn't even think about the fact that one fan is for the CPU and the other for the GPU -.- Well, now I just feel stupid having started this thread. Hahaha, thanks for explaining that! :)

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 01:35 PM
but they share the same heat pipe, i guess one fan is actually enough to cool it down.
With Bios 211, left Fan are running more frequent and very abnormal. sometime even in idle, the left fan spike to max speed for few seconds. ( no process running)
when gaming, left fan do all the work while right fan being gentle. Temperature for CPU/ GPU around 72', yeah, if both fan work together it can be even colder.

this can be seen that, Bios need more attention on configuration. Anyway, we all need to wait for the update.

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Hi ROG_HARDCORE! I have G752Vy with 6820Hk cpu and GtX980m gpu with 8Gb Vram. My Idle Temperature are for CPU 47C , GPU 51C. I think it is too high. What is yours?
While playing games with high setting they are goes for CPU 80-84C ,GPU 68-70C.

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi ROG_HARDCORE! I have G752Vy with 6820Hk cpu and GtX980m gpu with 8Gb Vram. My Idle Temperature are for CPU 47C , GPU 51C. I think it is too high. What is yours?

Hi,playing the division CPU temp 84 GPU 75. Bios version 208

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Hi, I have g752 vy and thinking about update bios to 211 version. Is that true that installing this version may cause fan issue? Is that confirmed?
I am from Europe and on asus website there is only 208 bios for g752 vy. Can i update this with any problems? Or i need to wait until they release European version?

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Hi,playing the division CPU temp 84 GPU 75. Bios version 208

Thank you. And what is your idle temp? When just surfing on the internet .

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Thank you. And what is your idle temp? When just surfing on the internet .

Idle temps are 48-51 for CPU and for GPU the same.

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Idle temps are 48-51 for CPU and for GPU the same.

Thank you! I have also the European model. But i did download the bios from the US website. And flash it without any problem.

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Idle temp is 48-50'C, that is normal. It wont be lower since the fan literally not spinning for temperature below 50'C

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
But How about temps when playing games? Will be normal when temps REACH for CPU 87 and for GPU 75 ?

ROG_HARDCORE
03-23-2016, 04:31 PM
87 will be safe, but thats abit high. I never went that far, check if any background process is running.

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Thank you! I have also the European model. But i did download the bios from the US website. And flash it without any problem.

Did you update to 211 from Windows (using Flash tool soft)?

JustinThyme
03-23-2016, 04:48 PM
but they share the same heat pipe, i guess one fan is actually enough to cool it down.
With Bios 211, left Fan are running more frequent and very abnormal. sometime even in idle, the left fan spike to max speed for few seconds. ( no process running)
when gaming, left fan do all the work while right fan being gentle. Temperature for CPU/ GPU around 72', yeah, if both fan work together it can be even colder.

this can be seen that, Bios need more attention on configuration. Anyway, we all need to wait for the update.

They do share a heat pipe but have two separate heat-sinks. The left CPU fans speed is controlled by the CPU temp and the right is controlled by the GPU temp. The heat pipe is more about redundancy where is one fan fails you are not dead in the water with an overheating CPU or GPU. Seperation also comes into play with battery consumption. Not that it matters to me because my machine is plugged in most of the time.

Those temps are about par for the course and fairly close to what I have had through every BIOS revision.

Hi, I have g752 vy and thinking about update bios to 211 version. Is that true that installing this version may cause fan issue? Is that confirmed?
I am from Europe and on asus website there is only 208 bios for g752 vy. Can i update this with any problems? Or i need to wait until they release European version?

I don't think there would be any issues unless other version have a different language. Ive not tried them to see. The motherboards CPUs and GPUs are all the same regardless of region. The only thing Ive seen change are the HDDs and memory vendors which should not affect the BIOS operation.
Some are reporting that there is a fan issue. Personally I've not seen problems. Ive tested extensively with heavy loads and have seen the CPU fan Ramp up and the GPU not ramp up. My only concern is are they doing thier job of keeping the CPU and GPU in am acceptable temperature range and for me they have. There may be some conflicts going on with the SMBUS and other software. Ive tested the fans operation with Notebook fan control software and other than the fans being represented backwards, CPU is really GPU and GPU is really CPU Ive seen no anomalies. I can command the fans to run at a constant 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% and that's exactly what they do independently of each other.

sztacheta56
03-23-2016, 04:48 PM
I had this temps when i was playing and my laptop was on my knees :) but normalny temps are 81-84 cpu and 75 gpu

Qosmio
03-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Did you update to 211 from Windows (using Flash tool soft)?

i don't have used flash tool. i did updated under bios

JustinThyme
03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Just an FYI if you want to roll back later you will need to use Winflash from the command prompt with the nodate switch. If you don't have WinFlash its available for download from the ASUS website under BIOS utilities.