PDA

View Full Version : Updating graphics driver on a G750JX

Arthathaner
03-15-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi all,

I've been gaming on my G750JX for more than a year now and I must say that I am very happy about this notebook. I have always been using desktops all my life and this was my first notebook ever.
With desktop PCs, updating the graphics driver was a common thing to do every now and then. But I have no idea what's the standard practice to follow when using a notebook (I'm a complete noob about them).
So far I have never updated the graphics driver and I've been using the Nvidia 327.02, which is the one that came pre-installed with the G750JX.
Everything has been fine until now that I have started to play some of the more recent games on the market. Some graphical hiccups have appeared, some CTDs and some games just simply refuse to start with such an outdated driver.
I went to the ASUS support website and downloaded the newest driver provided, but they were giving more problems than the one before. So I had to roll back.
My question is: can I download and install the newest Nvidia graphics driver from the Nvidia website, as I was used to do all my life with desktop PCs? I have read that for notebooks you should always use the drivers provided by the notebook manufacturer, but the G750JX is clearly not supported anymore, even though I believe I can play the majority of today's games just fine with it.
Is it safe or is there a chance of creating problems? Unfortunately I'll have no time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, that's why I'd like to ask you about your experiences/advices so that I can be finally sure.
Oh, forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 and that the problems I'm having with games are clearly driver related because all my games from last year still run with zero problems.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Arthathaner

nab
03-15-2016, 08:05 AM
Hi Arthathaner,

You can actually install any recent drivers from NVIDIA, they are unified, they all include the necessary information to detect your OEM GPU, including Asus (nvami.inf), so no problem with that.
But I will not recommend last drivers in general 36x.xx,35x.xx for your GPU yet, try something older like the 347.88. (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83080/en)

Take care

Pandur
03-15-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm running the latest official Geforce driver on my G55VW so I don't see any reason not to on your laptop. Only downgrade if the latest version gives you issues.