PDA

View Full Version : ROG G751JL Display problem, randomly stops working for a second then back to normal?

watzuuuup
03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Hello everyone!

Like all folks here on the forum i'm a proud owner of a ROG gaming system, precisely G751JL. It's been in my possesion for like 4 months, but after 2 months a wierd problem appeared out of nowhere. So here it goes:
While watching videos, working on CAD software and especially gaming, the display stops working for like a second then all goes back to normal. This occurs extremly random, like one black screen per day or multiple ones in a aprox. one hour or even 30 min interval, while the application/video/game is still running in the background (the sound still plays in a normal way). No errors are displayed after the black screen. The notebook is allways connected to the power source.
I tried all the fixes i could think of: reinstalled the video drivers after a clean uninstall using DDU while in safe mode, used many earlyer version of drivers in the quest to find one that is stable but no luck, tweaked 3D settings in NVIDIA control panel, reinstalled windows (currently running windows 8.1), upgraded BIOS from v. 204 to v. 205, all of this with no luck.

So, if anyone experienced this situation, and may have found a solution, preety please share it to a fellow republican of gaming.
Any suggestion is apreciated.

Thanks!

JustinThyme
03-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a hardware or display connection problem. You might also want to double check your power settings and disabling turn off display functions as well as hibernate and sleep to see if that changes anything.

watzuuuup
03-15-2016, 09:43 PM
I forgot to mention that. I did try disabling the hibernate and turn off display after x min under the advanced power settings on the high performance plan i'm using but no luck on solvin the problem. It might be a hardware issue, but i doubt it since many have this similar problem, this post proving that: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781150/gtx-970-display-blacks-out-for-a-second-then-recovers/. I hope it's not a problem for linking this, if it's not allowed i ask a moderator of this forum to delete the link with my sincere apologies. Any other solutions i might try? Anyone?

JustinThyme
03-15-2016, 11:14 PM
I dont think I would put these into the same category as your link. Those are desktop graphics on windows 7 and old drivers from 2014. What we are dealing with now is a GTX 965M mobile GPU with current drivers and windows 8.1

This is either Drivers or hardware. Have you tried an external monitor by any chance?
Have you installed any undocumented tweak tools?

watzuuuup
03-16-2016, 10:29 AM
I didn't try an external monitor to be honest, i have an old 15" i could try it on but it has only a VGA connector. What do you mean when you say "undocumented" tweak tools? Something like MSI Afterburner?

watzuuuup
03-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Bump!
It's hard for me to belieave that i'm the only G751 owner that has this problem on this entire forum. Any other suggestions/solutions? Anyone?

EdwardC
03-26-2016, 04:47 PM
i have the same problem, did you fix it ?

watzuuuup
03-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Sadly, no... Every day this problem is herrasing my inner calm lol. And i honestly dont think it's a hardware problem since i saw that many have this issue. I really dont want to send my notebook back for RMA. How about you Edward? Any luck on solving the problem?

watzuuuup
03-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Bump!

JustinThyme
03-30-2016, 03:09 PM
I didn't try an external monitor to be honest, i have an old 15" i could try it on but it has only a VGA connector. What do you mean when you say "undocumented" tweak tools? Something like MSI Afterburner?

Yes that among others.
Have you watched to see what your temps are doing?
There are only two things that cause this, one is drivers, the other is hardware. You seem to have done a thorough job at going through the drivers and with it happening at random that goes back to hardware. Most who post of a similar issue on other machines as well as this one its a driver issue and is remedied by reinstalling or maybe going to another older version, but you said you already did all that so we are right back to hardware.

Saipher
03-31-2016, 12:21 PM
I have had a similar problem with my G751JY. But only while gaming. Nothing new installed anywhere near when it started. In the beginning it was happening about once an hour of gaming, the screen just froze for a second or two, then flickered for a sec or two, went black for a short while and then resumed normal operation. Once i caught a Win10 notification that display drivers had stopped working and were recovered, or something like that.

My solution has been to drop core overclock in MSI afterburner at 5Mhz steps. Currently everything seems to be stable.

nemerdekel
04-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Mine did this with stock clocks so I don't think it's the OC

JustinThyme
04-03-2016, 04:04 AM
Mine did this with stock clocks so I don't think it's the OC
OCs can cause it but not always.
Have you tried an external monitor if you have one. This is just to narrow it down. If you dont have issues on an external monitor then its directly related to the laptop display whether it be the display, the ribbon, or the header on the MOBO which BTW the ribbon isn't locked in there very well from the factory, just tape holding it in. If you still have problems on an external monitor then its driver or GPU related.

nemerdekel
04-03-2016, 09:28 AM
I can't really reproduce the problem, it only appears once or twice a month

watzuuuup
04-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I didnt try the external monitor but will do so once I get home cause currently I am at work. Concerning MSI afterburner, i did hear about that solution, clocking down the core and gpu memory a bit. I gave it a few tries, and got to the point when both the core clock and memory clock slides were set to the minimum, in other words I couldnt have downclocked any more even if i wanted to. But still the problem persisted. After that i started thinking that it may be the voltage that the gpu recives from thte PSU, so i did some research on how to unlock this twek in afterburner, saw that it's complicated and decided not to play with this cause even the smallest mistake could fry my gpu. I've seen that many many people have this problem so it cant really be a hardware issue. Cant do anything less than hope that in the near future someone finds a sollution or NVIDIA devs develop a stable driver that fixes this problem.

nemerdekel
04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
just a random ideea, if you don't use ShadowPlay, turn it off maybe it helps, i've heard about ppl having problems with it and I have mine off all the time, don;t really have a use for it

watzuuuup
04-04-2016, 05:25 PM
I apreciate your suggestion. Shadowplay is deactivated permanently on my system since i installed the drivers, so unfortunately that's not the thing that is causing this issue. Ok, back to the external display suggestion, i used one, a 10 year old 15 inch lcd with vga connection but to be honest i dont think it matters that much its age. To my surprise, the random black screen was gone. I used it like half an hour of gaming and usually in that half an hour the black screen appears at least one time. So i guess that's it, my notebook display is malfunctioning... either it's the ribbon or something else... I tought it might also be the PSU, considering that the external display was set on 1280x720, so the GPU doesnt use that much energy to render the pixels. What do you think guys? P.S.: Justin, regarding the temperature, on full loads, while gaming, my gpu and cpu temp. doesnt exceed 70 degrees celcius.

JustinThyme
04-04-2016, 08:19 PM
At this point with it not happening on an external display and the GPU isnt even getting close to hot I would be leaning towards the display itself or connection. Maybe hammer it for a bit more on the external monitor for good measure.

watzuuuup
04-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Is there any way I can check the connection between the display and the motherboard (the ribbon or how do you proper call it) without loosing my notebooks waranty? Other than that, i can't think of a better way of figuring this out...

JustinThyme
04-05-2016, 11:36 PM
There are no seals so yes you can check it, They are not that hard to open up. This Video shows you how to get it open. The VGA connect sits 3-4 inches in from the right side and about the same from the back with a piece of what appears to be gaffers tape holding it in.
Honestly if it were me and I was still under warranty and there was no easy fix I would get this logged now and sent in and let it be their problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

watzuuuup
04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
I was thinking in the same way as you, let them handle the problem but thing is, here where i'm from, the warranty services are absolutely lame. I did a research on how the warranty process will be and i will have to send the notebook not to my seller but to a third party firm who handles the warranties. Did a quick search on the profile of that firm and their services are as bad as you could possibly get. So i'm having second toughts...

And an update on my problem, i played Witcher 3 for like 2-3 hours and in that time no black screen was seen, compaired to Dota 2, where after about half an hour of playing his highness Sir Black Screen for One Second appeared. I may be cursed by the Asus god himself...

Qazio
04-07-2016, 03:28 PM
1st: First try external monitor doesn't matter which extension you use and see if does it on both screens at same time.

2nd: Have you tried computer both ways with and without battery in and also try it unplugged from power cord.

3rd: Also could be a ram or cpu or fan problem also maybe the GPU going bad due to bad ram on GPU.

4th: LCD or LVD Screen cable might need replaced.

5th: Screen it self might be going bad until u test with external screen and compare.

6th: Bios might not be working properly. (Maybe update it to see that helps if you haven't).

7th: If you recently had power surge or not and this is happening and you have a warranty, then just send it in to be replaced or fixed.

If you have a warranty i would not worry about the first six quotes i typed. Just use the warranty, that is what it is for and good luck!

watzuuuup
04-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Thank you for your suggestions Qazio. I guess you didnt read all the thread considering your quotes. So, to answer you:

1st: I did try an external monitor with a VGA connection. While doing so, my notebook lid was closed so I could rely only on the external display. The test took like an hour or so and in this time no black screen occured.

2nd: This notebook model has a built-in battery, as in a non removable one. At least without dissasembling the case and remove it the hard way. One thing I didnt do, was gaming with the power cord unplugged. I will check this out.

3nd: I did a ram check with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and all appeared to be in tip top shape. Fans appear to be good since my temps dont go higher than 70-75 degrees celcius on full load. As for the bad ram on GPU, I cant really say anything about it, since i dont know a method of diagnosting this issue. Maybe you could suggest one...

4th: Dont think that's the case, since the notebook is aprox. 4 months old.

5th: I hope this isnt the case, and this is likely to be true, since like I said in a previous reply, i played Witcher 3 for 2-3 hours and no black screen.

6th: I updated the bios and currently using the latest version for this notebook model.

7th: No power surge has happened since I am using the notebook, and even if it did, I dont think it would have made any difference since the battery was allways in while using the system allways plugged in to a power source, so no sudden shutdowns because of the lack of power.

Qazio
04-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Since your notebook has not been tampered with by opening or disassembling it.
i would highly recommend sending it back to asus and ask for a replacement due to faulty motherboard.

You should have a 1 year replacement warranty on that model and it seems to me your motherboard is faulty...

Good Luck!

JustinThyme
04-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Since your notebook has not been tampered with by opening or disassembling it.
i would highly recommend sending it back to asus and ask for a replacement due to faulty motherboard.

You should have a 1 year replacement warranty on that model and it seems to me your motherboard is faulty...

Good Luck!

Where did you get that information?
I just read the warranty and nowhere does it say anything about a 1 year replacement. As with any other they have the option to repair and if they deem its more cost effective to just replace it that's their call.

Qazio
04-09-2016, 02:45 AM
Talking about the motherboard can be replaced since it is still under warranty...

dunwanted
04-12-2016, 10:57 PM
i have exactly same laptop, same issue. seems weird that i bought a gaming laptop and the only thing i can't do is play games on it

nemerdekel
04-13-2016, 10:16 AM
I downloaded Dota 2 to test it and played a few games, I can confirm that I don't get any black screens or screen freezes. I don't know what fixed this for me (I also had them very rarely) but I have a few things changed on my G751, number one thing would be that I have the CPU undervolted, GPU overclocked, Display overclocked to 100hz and all the latest drivers I could find on this sit http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

watzuuuup
04-13-2016, 11:10 AM
First things first, my notebook runs on windows 8.1, never tried windows 10. That might be a possible solution since the drivers are a little different. Thing is, I heard roumors regarding windows 10 security, as in the windows does his updates regardless if you want it or not and other wird stuff. Might give it a try though. Just, i dont know this: if i update from 8.1 to 10, i still have to reinstall all my apps and games or not?

Nemerdekel, a few questions for you buddy if you dont mind. First of all, how did you manage to get your display from 60hz to 100hz and by doing so have a stable display without flikers and artifacts? Aren't you scared that you might damage your display? Also, how did you manage to undervolt your CPU?

nemerdekel
04-13-2016, 01:02 PM
I've had Windows 10 only since the notebook arrived, did the fresh install myself and I had the 'bug' with it, so I don't think it is related to the OS, but we could never know for sure before we test.

I overclocked the monitor via the nVidia Control Panel > Custom resolution (as I found in this forum). As far as safety goes, I've never seen any flicker or artifact on any given brightness so far, the only thing that happend was the screen went black when I tried 105 hz. This LG panel was overclicked by a lot of users for 6 months without problems so I feel pretty safe about it, you can also go with a safer route and have it on 75.

The CPU undervolt was done with Intel XTU (extreme tuning utility), It is a little time consuming to get it right but since I already had experience with under/over clocking and volting I did it. (Noticed a 6-8 celsius difference) Also WARNING! this could damage your system if you don't know what you are doing so I take no responsability for it =) every system is different and yould have a different reaction for the same thing, so do a lot of reaserch before doing anything.
If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask me any time, if I'm able to answer or test it I will.

watzuuuup
04-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your answer nemerdekel! I've managed to overclock my monitor and have set the refresh rate to 75hz. I was anxious to see if this might solve my problem. It didnt... And i've done the overclocking after a fresh, clean install of the latest drivers.

As for the undervolting of my CPU, I will take your advice and stay out of this for now since I dont have experience in under/over clocking...

One more possible solution crossed my mind today surfing the web. How about updating my GPU bios? Is it worth it? Can it be done on this particular GPU (gtx965 m)?

nemerdekel
04-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Changing the vBios is worse than (more dangerous) undervolting, so I would try that one first
In XTU: - Core Voltage Offset -75mV
- Cache Voltage Offset -50mV
These values should be pretty safe as I'm running -90 on the core and -100 on cache without problems

Make sure that you go - (negative) positive voltage could damage your CPU

watzuuuup
04-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I think i may have found a solution to the black screen problem. It's not a perfectly good one but I reduced the black screen frequency to aprox. 2 black screens per day of use. Wierd!

Under advanced power options, for the high performance plan, at processor power management, i've set the maximum processor state from 100% to 95% for both "on battery" and "plugged in".
After doing so, the display is easyly more stable and it made me wonder about your suggestion Nemerdekel, undervolting the CPU. The question really is, what connection has the processor with the rendering of the display, since i've heard that Intel HD graphics are permanently disabled on this notebook.

nemerdekel
04-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Mine stopped doing it, so I would say it has something with the cpu and the undervolting pretty much fixed it

watzuuuup
05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Ok, after almost 2 weeks of testing, i figured it out or so it seems. Using XTU utility, i've set the core voltage offset to -80 mv and the cache voltage offset to -75 mv. In these past days since i've used this settings, i've only encountered one or maybe 2 black screens. So basically, the problem is ALMOST solved.

Can anyone please explain what does the voltage of the CPU has to do with rendering images on the display since all that work is done by the GPU. Maybe i'm missing something or I dont have that kind of deep knoledge about computer internals.

nemerdekel
05-05-2016, 06:48 PM
I can confirm this solved my problem too, no black screen for almost a month

b0xBR
06-07-2016, 05:52 AM
Hello!

I'm having a similar issue. I have a G751JT-DH72, which every 2-3 days, it simply freezes the video and sometimes the audio keeps running and sometimes freezes completely.
I was undevolting with XTU only the CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET to -50mV and randomly crashed. Then, I let it to default settings and it also crashed in the same way. Sometimes it freezes when I'm watching videos on Youtube, today froze when I was playing CS GO.
I always suspend the device, maybe this can be the problem. My question is, if using a modded VBios, could solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I did a vbios mod procedure and everything is running properly. I hope this fix my problem.

nemerdekel
06-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Hello!

I'm having a similar issue. I have a G751JT-DH72, which every 2-3 days, it simply freezes the video and sometimes the audio keeps running and sometimes freezes completely.
I was undevolting with XTU only the CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET to -50mV and randomly crashed. Then, I let it to default settings and it also crashed in the same way. Sometimes it freezes when I'm watching videos on Youtube, today froze when I was playing CS GO.
I always suspend the device, maybe this can be the problem. My question is, if using a modded VBios, could solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I did a vbios mod procedure and everything is running properly. I hope this fix my problem.

The only way to find out is to test it. I also want to know if changing the VBIOS did fix the problem or the - voltage on cpu

b0xBR
06-07-2016, 04:58 PM
The only way to find out is to test it. I also want to know if changing the VBIOS did fix the problem or the - voltage on cpu

I'm testing right now and I'll let you know if I had success or not. :)

b0xBR
06-11-2016, 04:43 PM

So far, no problems detected. I did a VBios update + undervolt (Core + Cache) and everything is running properly.

nemerdekel
06-12-2016, 06:25 AM
So far, no problems detected. I did a VBios update + undervolt (Core + Cache) and everything is running properly.

Could you test it with the voltages on stock and with the new vBios only? I would like to know if the vBios or the voltage fixed the problem. I only have the undervolt and if I let the FPS go wild in CSGO I sometimes get the problem again, but it's really rare.

Edit: I would also like to know where you got the vBios from

b0xBR
06-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Could you test it with the voltages on stock and with the new vBios only? I would like to know if the vBios or the voltage fixed the problem. I only have the undervolt and if I let the FPS go wild in CSGO I sometimes get the problem again, but it's really rare.

Edit: I would also like to know where you got the vBios from

I used to undevolt before VBios, that's why I didn't maintained the stock values.

Regarding the procedure, I followed Dreamonic tutorial here -> http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/3/ and downloaded the VBios of my model here -> http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/4/

Please, read carefully the procedure, it's simple but it's very important to check all steps before executing.