PDA

View Full Version : G71Gx Wont boot!

robm
12-01-2010, 03:16 AM
I have a G71gx I bought from best buy quite a while back. I've had no complaints with this laptop until now. I first started experiancing the screen flicker a week ago, which seems to have stopped. But have now moved onto bigger problems! The laptop will not power up at all. I tried removing the battery letting it sit, pushing the reset on the bottom of the computer. Neither steps provided any fix. When I plug the laptop in the blue charging light comes on but no power. I can run an older less power demanding laptop off my charger for the G71. Could I have a weak charger or is my g71 smoked?

Brian@ASUS
12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
sounds like something died... i would call tech support and see if you can send it in.

did you ever do the bios update when you got your notebook?

robm
12-07-2010, 04:13 AM
I did not do a bios update, would that cause a total failure like this? I figured I'd probably have to have it repaired, it's out of warranty so I will have to decide to fix it or replace it I guess.

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 05:55 AM
The RMA department can do out of warranty repair for a fee if the parts are instock.

The pricing is excelent, for example I had the dead motherboard in my ASUS ROG G1S notebook replaced for a total of $120.00 this included parts and services and return shipping.

robm
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I was told today by asus that the motherboard for the g71gx is no longer available. Anyone have any ideas??

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Have you tried searching sites like eBay for a replacement motherboard?

NightShade
12-09-2010, 08:33 AM
good luck, no one sells just a mobo. Doesnt doeskin seem to be any used ones atm either.

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I found this company offering a repair service for the G71 Motherboard:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/330485006421?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=182079581875&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=cc71e08612c0a0aa1564e364ffe489ea&itemid=330485006421&ff4=263602_304662

NightShade
12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
if you do go through a company like this i would find out as much info as you can about them. You may not recieve your laptop back.

Mason@ASUS
12-10-2010, 03:39 AM
I will check with our RMA service department and see if it's possible that we can order the motherboard for the G71Gx. I will let you know what I find out.

Mason@ASUS
12-11-2010, 01:32 AM
robm, can you PM me the serial number of your G71Gx so I can check on the possibility of ordering the MB for you?

NightShade
12-13-2010, 07:18 AM
would like to know if it is possible?

Brian@ASUS
12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
nightshade, its possible if parts are available.

NightShade
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
but are the parts available as of now?

V2-V3
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
NIghtshade, you will need to contact the RMA department and check if the parts are available. if they are available request an RMA number to lock in the parts for your unit.

ASUS Republic of gamers Notebook Warranty & RMA
Notebook Support page

Email Tech Support:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

Phone Tech Support:
24 hours a day
7 days a week
Phone: 1-888-678-3688
For expedited service, please fill out this form: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_techserv.aspx

Live Support Chat:
http://livesupport.asus.com/backend/...t.aspx?ref=&d=

RMA Request Form:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

http://livesupport.asus.com/backend/...t.aspx?ref=&d=

nxtjv
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I just sent my G71GX-A2 in for warranty... If there are no MBs available, what is the repair/replacement procedure?
Serial: 9AN0AS129416413

Thanks for any info!

JamesAZ
03-18-2011, 06:47 AM
I found this company offering a repair service for the G71 Motherboard:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/330485006421?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=182079581875&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=cc71e08612c0a0aa1564e364ffe489ea&itemid=330485006421&ff4=263602_304662

Did you know that ASUS repair facility is in Milpitas, CA...
Same location as the MB repair company...

JamesAZ
03-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Is ASUS always difficult to contact and deal with...
Having a two year warranty on a laptop is great; it would even be better if they "Honored" it...

xeromist
03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Is ASUS always difficult to contact and deal with

I would say no. Yes we see many issues here on the forums but ASUS has sold millions of products and we have a handful of special cases here on the forum. Happy people don't bother posting so the picture we get here is very distorted.

JamesAZ
03-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I would say no. Yes we see many issues here on the forums but ASUS has sold millions of products and we
have a handful of special cases here on the forum. Happy people don't bother posting so the picture we get here is very distorted.

Thank you for you comments... I could be wrong; I was talking with someone in Jamaica...
My first contact with Repair service was going to allow me to sned my unit to one of their authorized repair facilities in Colorado...
They neglected to tell me that my "Free" FedEx return would not be honored to any other facility than their facility in Milpitas, CA...
On my second call I was informed about their "FedEx" policy of only free to their CA address...
They then set me up with another RMA... I dropped off my unit the following day; after driving home I noticed on the receipt I had
that it was being sent to the Corp. Office and not the repair facility... So I returned to FedEx and called them from there...
No problem we'll issue you another RMA; even gave then the FedEx email address to send it to... Nothing Happened...
I returned home with my laptop phoned again, received my 3rd RMA... At 11:00pm that night I called them again to remind them
that I was still waiting for my FedEx shipping information... It arrived a few minutes later with the corrected ship to info...
I travel for my business and my laptop is my life-line to all of my dealers...
My unit is carried inside a Tamrac padded sleeve; inside of a Rimowa metal case... Very protected...
Now they are telling me that it is CID\OOW...
It has never been dropped, kicked, or punched... and it should still be in warranty...
I hope that answers your comment... Thanks for listening...

xeromist
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I wasn't attempting to diminish your problems and I believe what you say is true. I was just addressing your question of whether ASUS is always difficult. Given the volume of products that it sells if your experience was normal this forum would be overloaded with thousands of complaints. There will always be cases that slip through the cracks and descend into tragic drama and that is unfortunate but I have yet to find a company that didn't screw up at some point.

The important thing to me is a track record for product quality and support. ASUS screws up from time to time and we see a lot of those cases here, but overall it does quite well when you consider sales volume.

JamesAZ
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I understand... Thank you...
I deal with several European Manufactures and Distributors and the vast majority goes out of their way to help customers…
i.e. A German camera manufacture recently replaced a sensor in one of their cameras for a customer (Phoenix, AZ); for “Free”…
6 years after the warranty was up… The reason was that they believed there was an inherent defect in the sensor that caused
the initial problem… They also have a Digital Back that is no longer produced (as of approx 2006)…
They announced they would repair/maintain the DB for the next 15-20 years…
This is two of many instances that make me think they could do better…
It’s also my understanding they no-longer have Mother Boards for the G71Gx… Do you think that is why they have indicated CID\OOW…

I wasn't attempting to diminish your problems and I believe what you say is true. I was just addressing your question
of whether ASUS is always difficult. Given the volume of products that it sells if your experience was normal this forum would be overloaded with
thousands of complaints. There will always be cases that slip through the cracks and descend into tragic drama and that is unfortunate but I have
yet to find a company that didn't screw up at some point.

The important thing to me is a track record for product quality and support. ASUS screws up from time to time and we see a lot of those cases here,
but overall it does quite well when you consider sales volume.

xeromist
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
It’s also my understanding they no-longer have MB’s for the G71Gx… Do you think that is why they have indicated CID\OOW…

No, that doesn't sound right. Not having a replacement board would just mean having to come up with an alternative solution, that doesn't void the warranty. See if you can find out what the CID\OOW claim is about. Perhaps there was shipping damage that you haven't seen yet if it was in good shape when you put it in the box.

JamesAZ
03-19-2011, 02:37 AM
The RMA department can do out of warranty repair for a fee if the parts are instock.

The pricing is excelent, for example I had the dead motherboard in my ASUS ROG G1S notebook replaced for
a total of $120.00 this included parts and services and return shipping.

I believe I've found a bit of a fly in the ointment... Conflict of interest... ASUS is not repairing their computers "Bizcom Electronics" is...
Bizcom handle the warranty repair for ASUS... They call it CID\OOW... Now if you want it repaired, they tell you it's going to cost $$$...
Then they turn around and bill ASUS for a warranty repair... Do I have proof "None"... Except I know my laptop; I took perfect care of
it... Including how it was transported... Used a special cleaning cloth to clean the LCD screen...
Here is the contact info from Bizcom website...
http://www.bizcom-ca.com/main.asp?content_id=3

Same address as ASUS repair facility Milpitas, CA
CONTACT - USA
Bizcom Electronics Inc.
1171 Montague Expressway
Milpitas, California
USA 95035

Phone: 408-262-7877
Fax: 408-262-3907
Web site www.bizcom-us.com
VP, Sales: Laurens Shu
Parent Company - COMPAL - Taipei, Taiwan
DKA: Bizcom Electronics, Inc. - (1.6 miles from above address)
881 Wrigley Way
Milpitas 95035
408 262 7877
FAX: 408 262 3907
Service: NBService@compal.com
Contact - CANADA
Alok Sarna
E-mail: alok@allstream.net

xeromist
03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Interesting. I know that if this is true it is saving ASUS money but I don't think they would like it because in the long run it would damage the company's reputation. I hope it is just some shipping damage or something equally understandable. Are you able to ask them for any more details?

JamesAZ
03-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Interesting. I know that if this is true it is saving ASUS money but I don't think they would like it because
in the long run it would damage the company's reputation. I hope it is just some shipping damage or something equally understandable.
Are you able to ask them for any more details?

I have called... No additional details... Doesn't seem like a very professional way to handle a repair...
What have they got to hide if they will not contact me... Originally I was very please to express my fondness for their product...
They have a long way to go before I would recommend ASUS again...

alekdomen
12-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Anti- As Economical Methods
Any specific Opponents Regularions when it comes to Macedonia will, in my opinion, excplicitly can consist of rigid prohibitions for the subsequent habits (even more aspects is in Porter's reserve 1 . "Competitive Strategy").
These practices define the very Macedonian marketplace. They begin to sway this Macedonian current economic climate simply by unsatisfactory global people, motivating gry (http://gryyonline.pl) ineptitude and thus mismanagement, retaining unnaturally high prices, misallocating pretty hard to find information, elevating lack of employment,