PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the G501VW?

Bubonic
04-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Hey everyone.

I just got my new G501VW. I know it's up-gradable and I want to install more RAM. The question I'm asking is
do the rubber feet that you have to remove reattach in anyway? I wan't to know if I'm going to have to get all the parts (M.2, 2.5' SSD)
I need before I glue them back on if I have too.

Thank in advanced!

fiveomustang
04-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Hey! Had to wait for my account to get approved before I could post.

I just got my VW as well. You just need to pry off the rear rubber feet. Afterward I simply just stuck them back in place as the adhesive is still present. They seem to stay in place really well still.

If you are going with a M.2 install, either find your self a screw to hold it in place (if your M.2 drive didn't come with one like mine) or steal one from one of the battery mounts (this is what I did).

Laptop is so much faster with M.2 SSD. I went with a Samsung 950pro 256GB. I also added another 8GB of RAM.

mwallig
04-08-2016, 03:49 PM
New owner of a VW here too!

I installed the Samsung m.2 256 SSD, but I ran into some problems with Samsung's cloning software. I would recommend just doing a fresh install of which ever OS you're using onto that drive through a USB. No new activation key required.

fiveomustang
04-08-2016, 04:25 PM
New owner of a VW here too!

I installed the Samsung m.2 256 SSD, but I ran into some problems with Samsung's cloning software. I would recommend just doing a fresh install of which ever OS you're using onto that drive through a USB. No new activation key required.

I figured I'd give the clone a shot and it worked out well so far. I performed a system backup onto a flash drive before I messed with anything, installed the new drive, initialized it in windows, ran the samsung cloning SW, then simply deleted all the partitions off the original HDD (easier than removing it). Upon next boot it booted right up with the SSD right to where I left off.

If you go the fresh route, all the drivers are here:
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G501VW/HelpDesk_Download/