PDA

View Full Version : Replacing GeForce GTX 660M in a G75VW

Redemntion
04-09-2016, 12:32 AM
So the graphics card in my G75VW has been broken for quite a while. I was interested in getting it fixed but was curious if I could upgrade the graphics card in the process. I've looked around and seen lots of threads about how the GTX 670M will fit in the MxM slot but that you need the specific heat sink that this card uses. I'm hoping to get some definitive answers so I purchase the right graphics card to replace my broken one. Any help would be appreciated.

Dreamonic
04-09-2016, 01:00 AM
I've written a guide for this kind of upgrade here and for the money, go 670MX: http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/35/

Redemntion
04-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dreamonic for such a detailed guide.

Redemntion
04-10-2016, 01:01 AM
You mention at the end of firmware update guide when you install the new graphics card to do a repaste on the CPU. Is there a specific brand you recommend for this?

Dreamonic
04-10-2016, 03:47 AM
Specifically, I recommend MX-4 or Gelid GCX. I find both ideal even to use as thermal pad replacements (if repasting everything on your GPU for instance). Since everyone has their preference and it's a much debated topic, personally speaking, you can't go wrong with either one of those (good bang for buck).

Redemntion
05-12-2016, 05:33 AM
So I've managed to install the new GPU into my computer but now I'm stuck in your directions for installing the drivers. At step 4 in your guide, you say to find the text string "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]" in the nvami.inf file. I'm unable to find such a string in the file using the find function. Any thoughts as to what I'm missing?

Dreamonic
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Are you using Windows 10 or Win 8/8.1? In which case look for "NVIDIA_Devices" instead and you'll find it.

Depending which OS you're using, the NVIDIA_Devices string will have either:

NTamd64.6.0 (Vista)
NTamd64.6.1 (Windows 7)
NTamd64.6.2 (Windows 8)
NTamd64.6.3 (Windows 8.1)
NTamd64.10.0 (Windows 10)

Pick the string of NVIDIA_Devices that corresponds to your OS and then add the custom ID for your 670MX there (while still following my guide).

EDIT: The latest drivers no longer uses the previous string I had in my guide anymore. I've corrected and updated it with what I've mentioned here now.

Redemntion
05-12-2016, 01:36 PM
So since I'm using Windows 7, would the string I'm looking for be something like this: "[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]". Also, if I want to go to Windows 10 at some point, should I upgrade before installing these drivers? Lastly, my screen is displaying pink where white should be. I'm wondering if I accidentally didn't connect a cable back correctly, if it's due to not having the proper drivers installed, or the graphics card is faulty in some way.

Dreamonic
05-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Yes, that would be the string. Either or on updating to Windows 10. If you update the drivers after Windows 10, then you'll have to do the same process. The pink screen is caused by the panel connector to MB. Might have to reconnect it, check for pinches in it. Might have to change the angle on the panel and see if it changes back to white. Not likely the card but try the panel connector first.

Redemntion
05-13-2016, 01:20 AM
So I tried opening it up again and checking the connector for pinches and also reseating the connection on the MB, but the issue still persists. I did take a screenshot and posted it here but it looks fine, so I'll take a picture of the actual screen.

Dreamonic
05-13-2016, 01:28 AM
Screenshots wouldn't show that, you would need to take a pic of it.

Play around with pivoting angles of the screen. If nothing changes, you could verify it's not the card by putting your previous one back in (although you said it was broken so this may not be a possible option) and if it's white, unfortunately, it was the 670M/MX then. Coincidentally, the screen may have just went out on you as you were doing the upgrade, though not likely.

You could also hook up to an external monitor and see if does the same thing there too.

EDIT: Did you manage to get your drivers ready for installing?

Redemntion
05-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Here's a picture of what it looks like:

Redemntion
05-15-2016, 09:42 PM
So I did manage to get the drivers installed. It did not fix the issue with the screen however. I've tried hooking it up to a HDMI TV and it displayed fine to that so you were definitely right that it is not the GPU. I've also tried opening the panel and reconnecting the MB connector on that side, but with no success. I also tried different angles for the panel with no change either. I should note this computer was sitting around for about 8 months before I finally got around to trying to repair it. My guess is there's something wrong with either the connector or the panel. What's your opinion?

Dreamonic
05-15-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm steering more toward it being a panel replacement. As for the connector (to cross it off the list) it's possible it may be loose behind the bezel (flex from opening/closing all the time). Try applying pressure with your fingers along the bottom bezel near the ASUS lettering.

Did you inspect the panel connector itself (pins) and the one on the MB for anything out of place (in other words) do you trust your repair with disassembly/reassembly?

Redemntion
05-16-2016, 01:19 AM
I can't say for certain that my repair didn't cause this issue. Since I've disassembled and reassembled it multiple times now with no change in its status, I would assume it is some faulty hardware. I did open up the bezel to see if the connector behind the panel was loose, and it did seem to be slightly so. However, when reassembling it, I can't see whether it gets knocked loose as I go through the process of putting it back together since it becomes hidden behind the panel after a certain point. I'll try opening it up one more time as I didn't inspect the connector's pins thoroughly to see if there was something off about them.

Redemntion
06-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Well I tried replacing both the connector cable and the screen but neither resulted in a fix. This leads me to believe the connector on the motherboard may be faulty. I may just need to get an external monitor and use it that way.

ll_r1d0_ll
06-30-2016, 02:38 AM
Well I tried replacing both the connector cable and the screen but neither resulted in a fix. This leads me to believe the connector on the motherboard may be faulty. I may just need to get an external monitor and use it that way.

vbios could be the issue as i faced once on my old g73jh(dead now) which had blurry picture and weird color splashes all over the screen...i had to flash the old vbios of it and it worked like a charm after that ...

Redemntion
07-27-2016, 02:29 AM
vbios could be the issue as i faced once on my old g73jh(dead now) which had blurry picture and weird color splashes all over the screen...i had to flash the old vbios of it and it worked like a charm after that ...
Thanks for the reply. Did you experience the issue while plugged into an external monitor? Mine runs fine when I plug it into an HDMI tv.