PDA

View Full Version : Power issues with ASUS G51VX

atomskaze
04-15-2016, 04:50 AM
Hello -

I'm having power-related issues with my Asus G51VX. For reference, I got this PC during the summer of 2009.
The problems started 2 weeks ago.

During low battery, I would start getting the AC MODE - BATTERY MODE prompt over and over again until the battery gets close to 40-50%. I can also get it to stop if I pull out the battery. The charger tip also seems pretty hot to the touch.

Also, sometimes during battery use the PC will just turn off without warning . The PC won't start even if the battery still has charge left, so I need to plug in the charger to turn it on. Checking the Event Viewer in Windows shows a Critical Kernel-Power event with ID 41 and Task Category 63 and all BugCheckParameters show as 0x0.

I'm thinking of scheduling a few hours next week to take the PC apart and inspect the motherboard.

atomskaze
04-18-2016, 04:47 AM
Bumping for visibility and new information.

When I get a high battery percentage during charge, the AC - Battery mode toggle stops, and so the charger tip temperature goes down.

atomskaze
04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Third bump. 90+ views and so far no replies...

cl-Albert
04-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Since you're reporting the system will also power-off on battery power though, it would seem it should be more related to the battery than the DC jack unless you happen to have 2 different issues right now.
You might carefully press on the battery as well as different areas of the notebook while on battery power to see if there may be some kind of mechanical issue (loose solder joint?) that causes you to lose power.

Might not be worth checking into right now, but just wanted to try to confirm if you could actually be losing AC power to your notebook too.

If you had a problem with your DC jack, it could cause you to lose AC power, but it's not clear if this is the problem with the symptoms you report.

Anyway, if you haven't already tried it, test the unit without the battery installed (make sure nothing gets near the exposed battery contacts) to see if it ever powers off unexpectedly.
You might carefully and gently move the power connection while plugged into the notebook just to make sure this doesn't make any difference.

Since the unit seems to work fine once the battery has more charge though, it doesn't seem as likely a DC jack-related issue and may not be worth checking right now, but should be easy to try if you're interested.

Another possibility is some issue with the AC adapter since you will be stressing it more when you are charging the battery and using the notebook at the same time, but usually the AC adapter will stop working/charging (until unplugged from the wall and re-plugged?) when there is a problem with it.
Maybe you will see this happen with your AC adapter later though if there is really some problem with it.

Anyway, without another AC adapter, it may not be easy to be sure if it's really the problem, but this wouldn't be related to your system powering off on battery power only, so just checking if you might have another separate issue.

Not sure how well this will work, but to check into the software more, try to charge the notebook in Windows Safe Mode to see if also switches between battery and AC power there.

Actually to get around the problem temporarily you may just want to charge the battery to 100% while the notebook is off and try to use the notebook when the battery is at 100% as much as you can while the AC adapter is plugged in if it's possible?

Well, hopefully others have better ideas, but sounds like it will take more investigation to get to the bottom of it and there isn't a quick and easy answer right now.

atomskaze
04-26-2016, 05:37 AM
Thank you for taking your time to answer. The AC MODE - BATTERY MODE prompt stops coming up if I remove the battery, and I can continue using the computer normally. I'll try to check if there is something mechanical that triggers it.