PDA

View Full Version : [G752VY, G751JY] everlasting bug of USB 3.0 left port randomly disconnecting

hexaae
04-17-2016, 03:43 PM
It was a well known bug plaguing G751JY,
now my new G752VY does the same: the USB 3.0 port in the upper left side of the laptop keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly (sometimes after 1 hour, sometimes every few minutes). This can break streamings, copying actions, and damage the connected USB hard disk.

After all this time... is there a definitive solution from ASUS? Are they working on it or not?

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 04:01 PM
A. As you might forgot, This forum is a community based forum - if you want Asus official response - you're free to contact Asus on official channels and complain.
Just for your knowledge, the last time I sent my laptop to RMA, it came to a point where I sent a direct complaint to the regional Asus CEO and I was heard.
I wish just like you, that the admins around here, which are asus rep as well, will offer the ROG community a solution, or at least comment that they passed the issue to asus R&D and that they'll return a comment afterwards.
Unfortunately, that theme has been discussed since, AFAIK, the G55 ( may be even before ) serie- and no official solution was offered.
hell, AFAIK, even a proper XHCI driver for win8/8.1/10 was NOT offered to fix the USB 2.0 speed transfer between USB 3.0 compatible devices and the ROG laptops.
So yes, I believe that collective sue should be in order, but I guess that no one is willing to lift the glove as there are other pressing matter in the world ( Global warming might fit in that category ).

B. A community SW based solution was already suggested TO ALL ROG DEVICES- i'm sure you're familiar with the thread "G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?" (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else) and my post/guide in it "G751 Win 10 x64 Guide: HOW TO GET THE USB PORTS & HUBS TO RUN @USB 3.0 SUPERSPEED, WITH NO HANG-UPS DURING FILE TRANSFER!!!" (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else&p=539663&viewfull=1#post539663) which both offers partial solutions gathered from the best of the community knowledge.

C. JustinT - you're free to be the stalking-awkward-irritating person as usual, I don't care anymore.

hexaae
04-17-2016, 04:54 PM
As far as I can understand it's better to abandon ASUS and go for the competitors then, since ASUS is not very focused on user experience and to solve the many software issues with their nice ROG series. A pity as IMHO build and hw quality is good but too much software annoyances (due to Intel poor software drivers, mainly) can really discourage users who pay 2000€ for such laptops.
Thank you for reply.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Well said, My G752VY ROG Notebook is the Last from ASUS.
About the USB, same problem here. I thought they fixed it, i dint notice it because ROG Gladius was connected on that port.
ROG Notebooks are near to be China "Shang zai" Products Quality.
" Why married a gold digger, just because she is beautiful?" Useless. same applied to ASUS ROG notebooks.

hexaae
04-17-2016, 10:24 PM
For sure, since we paid a lot of money (not cheap consumer laptops), I expected a much better support...
Software-side (including for software also BIOS and OS drivers) these ROGs have too much annoying issues for their price class. I'd love my ROGs if everything was working as expected with audio drivers, USB, and sleep BIOS issues, but I can't unfortunately. ASUS should really invest much more resources here.

About the issue:
BTW, I'm currently testing this: I changed default USB Hub xHCI and forced Hub Generic USB SuperSpeed and didn't have disconnecting/reconnecting USB hard disk issues anymore in the last 3 hours... Will need some more days of testing to proclaim a victory though.

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 11:26 PM
About the issue:
BTW, I'm currently testing this: I changed default USB Hub xHCI and forced Hub Generic USB SuperSpeed and didn't have disconnecting/reconnecting USB hard disk issues anymore in the last 3 hours... Will need some more days of testing to proclaim a victory though.

that device's default drivers is also replaced with intel's driver once you install the XHCI controller driver on the system.
nothing new under the sun - that is exactly the change ( and more ) that I direct in my guide .... except may be that the driver you choose is provided from MS as well ...lol.

Your XHCI controller host driver is provided by MS not intel - correct ?
( i.e have you made a driver change to that device ?)

bottom line - Asus should have publish guide/installer/driver to solve the issue.

hexaae
04-18-2016, 12:16 AM
I didn't touch the default "Controller host Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - 1.0 (Microsoft)".
I've forced that other root port driver as it was already in the default MS drivers list, and sounded good to replace chosen default:
when you uncheck "Show only compatible hardware" you'll find it at the bottom in the list of drivers provided by MS (WHICH IS ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE. As a general rule ignore Intel crapware if you can: MS for sure provides more convenient drivers certified to work fine with Windows 10 x64. Don't expect Intel to know Windows OS better then MS itself even for their own hw)

...and good news: still not had a single disconnect/reconnect issue since! The USB 3.0 HD is correctly recognized and used in SuperSpeed mode without issues, so it really looks like the perfect solution to get rid of this annoying bug.
Let's keep fingers crossed, will test it for some days and report in case.

Gps3dx
04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
As a general rule ignore Intel crapware if you can: MS for sure provides more convenient drivers certified to work fine with Windows 10 x64. Don't expect Intel to know Windows OS better then MS itself even for their own hw)
AFAIK, intel is the developer of the drivers, MS just "rename" it as theirs, after is passes some MS internal QA.

...and good news: still not had a single disconnect/reconnect issue since! The USB 3.0 HD is correctly recognized and used in SuperSpeed mode without issues, so it really looks like the perfect solution to get rid of this annoying bug.
Let's keep fingers crossed, will test it for some days and report in case.
Please continue to test any external USB 3.0 device you can get your hands on...
I know that some devices do work fine on the left port, other not so stable ( sometimes disconnection, somethings not ).

diogogmaio
04-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Keep up with the testing to understand if it is a viable solution.
Thanks for the hard work both of you.

diogogmaio
04-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Keep up with the testing to understand if it is a viable solution.
Thanks for the hard work both of you.

hexaae
04-18-2016, 11:12 AM
AFAIK, intel is the developer of the drivers, MS just "rename" it as theirs, after is passes some MS internal QA.
Since exist both Intel WHQL and MS versions, I think the drivers with explicit "(Microsoft)" are developed by MS, using the official specs given by the vendor of course. For this reason I'm more inclined for the MS version, whenever I can.

Sad news: today just happened again: disconnected/reconnected once after 10 minutes from a cold boot :(
Usual Intel HW/SW unreliable rubbish... latest tech. = latest bugs.

JustinThyme
04-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Ill give you a definitive answer on this. The left side USB ports are on a small daughter board that includes a small controller and two USB connectors. Then a small ribbon where it plugs into the motherboard.
any drive that is NOT USB powered will run without a single glitch 100% of the time. If the drive draws its power from USB then its all about how much. Ive used multiple SSD drives with no issues at all and multiple spinners with no issues. Seagate backup plus 2.5" portables have given me no worries. 2 WD drives crap about every 10 minutes then if I unplug them and plug them back in they work for another 10. If its just streaming from them there is little issue, if its large file transfers the WD are guaranteed to crap 100% of the time.
Bottom line, its about power draw. That small daughter board is incapable of providing the power to run power hungry drives and run the data at the same time. Jump drives, no problems either.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-18-2016, 01:35 PM
I've been testing it. Left And right, Copying 1GB Of files for full load test. So here's the result.

Upper Left ( supplpying 4.93V Consistent with 0.52A+- ( full load )

Lower Left ( supplpying 4.93V Consistent with 0.52A+- ( full load )

Upper Right ( supplpying 4.99V Consistent with 0.52A+- ( full load )

Lower Right ( supplpying 4.99V Consistent with 0.52A+- ( full load )

When no load test, 5.09V is on Right USB port But 5.02V on Left USB Port.

This test is done by copying 1GB files from 1TB Samsung portable USB Drive.

This test Proved that Left and right USB are not supplying the same amount of voltage , but same current.
But this differential should be safe for average device such as spinner HDD, SSD, or any equivalent rated 5V , 0.5A.
Doing this during Lan Party, since Tom Clancy : The division Server lagging for now. 2 ROG G752VY Reporting. :)

hexaae
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Ill give you a definitive answer on this. The left side USB ports are on a small daughter board that includes a small controller and two USB connectors. Then a small ribbon where it plugs into the motherboard.
Yes, I've seen this on YT tear apart videos...

Bottom line, its about power draw. That small daughter board is incapable of providing the power to run power hungry drives and run the data at the same time. Jump drives, no problems either.
So for you it's a bad engineering design issue? WOW... and ASUS repeated this error in all recent ROG series? Hope truth is not SO bad and impossible to solve.

In the meanwhile here I've found other generic reports on USB3.0 issues since Windows 8+:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e43de6f5-4ad5-4f09-8021-92aefb00480d/windows-8-usb-30-problems?forum=w8itproinstall

Nice thread anyway! Thank you all! ;)

hexaae
04-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Trying this now:
from BIOS 211 I've DISABLED "Legacy USB support". Let's see...
As far as I can understand I won't be able to boot from non-EFI USB boot devices though.

Just noticed a little change: that led on the external TrekStor USB 3.0 doesn't blink anymore in idle status, it's now always on.

diogogmaio
04-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Trying this now:
from BIOS 211 I've DISABLED "Legacy USB support". Let's see...
As far as I can understand I won't be able to boot from non-EFI USB boot devices though.

Just noticed a little change: that led on the external TrekStor USB 3.0 doesn't blink anymore in idle status, it's now always on.

If you find something new about this, let us know.
For a quick logic, you can safely disable that nowadays.
Thank you.

JustinThyme
04-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Thats a nice little tester there ROG HC. Are those results all using the same drive? The current should change. Ohms law and all that with the same load, voltage goes down, current goes up.

@hexaae. Im an electronics engineer by profession and yes in my professional opinion there is a voltage drop seen on the daughter board that is not present with the ports on the right that are powered and have their data connections and controller right on the motherboard. I dont use a lot of USB devices at the same time so Im accustomed to just plugging in on the right. I would rather use the left as Im a righty and use BT mouse 99% of the time so the cable in the way can be problematic.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Same drive were used.

Regarding the DISABLED "Legacy USB support", it might cause high CPU spike issues as well. Do let us know if it work.

hexaae
04-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Same drive were used.

Regarding the DISABLED "Legacy USB support", it might cause high CPU spike issues as well. Do let us know if it work.

No way: still disconnected/reconnected... ASUS engineers should really fix it.
I'll always use right ports for USB 3.0 HD connections.

I would rather use the left as Im a righty and use BT mouse 99% of the time so the cable in the way can be problematic.
Yep, annoying on the right... Let us know if you'll find a DIY HW modification for the daughter card.

This test Proved that Left and right USB are not supplying the same amount of voltage , but same current.
But this differential should be safe for average device such as spinner HDD, SSD, or any equivalent rated 5V , 0.5A.

I wonder if ASUS can do something through the BIOS to slightly increase voltage...
USB 3.0: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0

hexaae
04-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Ultimate hack to test ;)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\V ID_1E68&PID_004C\A000000000000001DF\Device Parameters
DWORD ForcePortPower

ROG_HARDCORE
04-19-2016, 03:39 AM
It works?

diogogmaio
04-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Ultimate hack to test ;)

Results?? And explanation on this ultimate hack?

hexaae
04-19-2016, 10:48 AM
It was something I've found digging on the Internet... but was applied to Win7... not even sure if that key Value still has effects on Windows 10.

EDIT:
didn't work, as expected, still disconnected/reconnected after a resume from sleep though... and we know sleep has some issues with current BIOS 211. Will give it another chance in the next few days.
Ok, left ports are totally unreliable for USB 3.0 devices because of randomly dropping voltage: a trivial HW design issue. Sad to see this has not been fixed in all ROG series AFAICU (for sure was reproducible also on my G751JY).
Great laptops, A LOT of software (and now HW) issues, especially for 2000€ class. What a pity. I'll give up on ASUS forever if I can't see improvements in the next 3 months.

Current issues bugging me a lot on G752VY:
- USB 3.0 devices on the left ports randomly disconnect. 2.0 devices seem to work fine
- audio settings (Sonic Studio) not working and speakers output not customizable (default settings are dull and crappy)
- NVMe primary HD degraded to half-speed after resume from sleep (current BIOS 211) -SOLVED- (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84587-G752VY-issue-with-M-2-speed-after-resume-from-sleep)
- a bit slow startup and fastboot won't save
- lid opening issue after sleep + hibernation (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84926-G752VY-Lid-opening-issue)

I've also noticed some power throttling (reported also by GPUz, see Sensors/Prefcap reason). Still not sure if it's due to extreme power save mode for the new ASUS VBIOS for 980M though... needs more testing. FPS are still very high in games though and thanks also to G-Sync (I've forced my display to 60Hz for 60fps goal) I can play everything almost set to Ultra minus AA disabled and shadows slightly reduced.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Also, slow startup and fastboot won't save. These bug me alot as well.

hexaae
04-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Also, slow startup and fastboot won't save. These bug me alot as well.
Not SO slow IMHO, but yes there's something wrong in that area in the BIOS...
Added in the list.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-20-2016, 09:36 AM
15 to 20 second black screen before starting to boot. Booting on Samsung 950 Pro took 3 second. Bios 211, AHCI Mode.

hexaae
04-21-2016, 08:58 AM
5-6 secs here... Default BIOS (RAID mode, with just 1 NVMe)

ROG_HARDCORE
04-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Can i know your IPS screen model? i'm currently on LG IPS.

Gps3dx
04-21-2016, 12:21 PM
@ hexaae, @ROG_HARDCORE - can you please stay on-topic about the USB issue ?
This thread was actually a good example of how a specific theme can be debated and how info can be shared among the community.

now... I can report that i've tried to force disable U1&U2 using some registry hack to a device connected to the left ports, but it did helped at all.
I also can report that using the same external storage device & cable, that has disconnection issues on my G751JT, does NOT have any issue when I connect it to my cheap usb 3.0 supported HP laptop, even when I use MS defaults XHCI driver - so that just clarify even more, in addition to what I already knew, that this issue is ROG specific.

hexaae
04-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Can i know your IPS screen model? i'm currently on LG IPS.

For HWiNFO is: LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 on G752VY, -SPD1 on the G751JY
for anything else PM me...

(Last offtopic, you're right Gps3dx)

ROG_HARDCORE
04-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Wait... mine is G752VY, so we are having different machine here

JustinThyme
04-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Whats the topic again?
I got lost, last couple of pages took some pretty serious turns.

Clintlgm
04-22-2016, 01:56 PM
It doesn't really matter all the G 17" series have this issue for some people at least from the G75 they all have the left 2 ports on a separate daughter board some people don't report the issue some report that they don't have the issue the rest of us work around the issue. My case I use a Right angle 12" extension cable (http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Right-Angle-Female-Cable/dp/B006C0PNJK?ie=UTF8&keywords=USB%203.0%20Cables%20Right%20Angle&qid=1461333409&ref_=sr_1_35&sr=8-35)to a 4 port hub. I plug into the front port with this and I plug my mini Bluetooth in the rear one I have 4 good USB 3.0 port in a very small foot print and plenty of room for my Bluetooth mouse on the right side

hexaae
04-22-2016, 09:42 PM
It doesn't really matter all the G 17" series have this issue for some people at least from the G75 they all have the left 2 ports on a separate daughter board some people don't report the issue some report that they don't have the issue the rest of us work around the issue.
LOL
Are you serious when you say "it doesn't really matter?". These are 1500-2000€ products, not mass-market 200€ laptops.

Unfortunately new BIOS 212 didn't solve a single serious issue (i.e. halved speed for M.2 after resume from sleep etc.) and just added support for AUO panels variant (?)

BTW, another strange thing about USB3.0 ports on G752VY: when Windows is Hibernated the led of the connected drive stays ON. On G751JY it obviously gets powered off, as expected. Something is broken in the BIOS, besides the USB3.0 low voltage issue... (and before you ask, I already tried to disable Selective suspension of USB devices etc. through Windows software settings and nothing changed)

JustinThyme
04-22-2016, 10:40 PM
If you search you will see all the ports staying powered on is not a new developement either and happens with some G751s. This has to do with the charger plus software.

hexaae
04-23-2016, 08:38 AM
If you search you will see all the ports staying powered on is not a new developement either and happens with some G751s. This has to do with the charger plus software.
Powercharger is only for the 1st right port, and the software has no options. I don't think it has something to do with this.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-23-2016, 01:14 PM
But for buggy G752VY, ALL 4 port is powercharger . Yes, all 4 port works as USB charger Plus. Tested by USB tester,
ALL usb port still supplying 5.03 -- 5.09V / 0.5A -- 0.9A EVEN AFTER THE PC IS COMPLETELY TURNED OFF.

hexaae
04-25-2016, 12:37 PM
But for buggy G752VY, ALL 4 port is powercharger . Yes, all 4 port works as USB charger Plus. Tested by USB tester,
ALL usb port still supplying 5.03 -- 5.09V / 0.5A -- 0.9A EVEN AFTER THE PC IS COMPLETELY TURNED OFF.
Probably another bug then since the only one should be the port on the right with the little thunderbolt symbol carved.

JustinThyme
04-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Powercharger is only for the 1st right port, and the software has no options. I don't think it has something to do with this.

Thats the way its supposed to work but doesnt. If you open the settings and move the slider to the right to 99% it will shut down all the ports pretty much as soon as you power down the laptop.

hexaae
04-25-2016, 04:28 PM
I see... Another bug for sure in the BIOS I'd say.. and/or HW poor design.

Reassuming, we have to wait for a BIOS updates (212 didn't solve this or the resume from sleep and halved M.2 speed issue) and a decent Realtek driver fully supporting Sonic Studio II (that anyway makes some games like Sleeping Dogs crash... sigh...)... G752VY is a beast in HW but software is too young.

hexaae
05-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Some links (but didn't help that much apart giving some new ideas):

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1783536/usb-ports-disconnecting-reconnecting.html
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/10/31/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly/#commentmessage
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesnt-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/
https://github.com/ohaucke/UsbSuspendOnIdle

The disconnecting/reconnecting issue seem to happen more frequently after you resume from sleep and then attach the external USB 3.0 drive...
As JustinThyme said, it's very probably a HW issue with the too low powered USB daughterboard on the left side (BTW, same model on G751JY that has same issue)... The fact it doesn't happen on the right side USB 3.0 ports of G752VY confirms this: if it was a software/driver issue this would happen for all ports.

MrRuckus
05-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Some links (but didn't help that much apart giving some new ideas):

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1783536/usb-ports-disconnecting-reconnecting.html
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/10/31/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly/#commentmessage
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesnt-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/
https://github.com/ohaucke/UsbSuspendOnIdle

The disconnecting/reconnecting issue seem to happen more frequently after you resume from sleep and then attach the external USB 3.0 drive...
As JustinThyme said, it's very probably a HW issue with the too low powered USB daughterboard on the left side (BTW, same model on G751JY that has same issue)... The fact it doesn't happen on the right side USB 3.0 ports of G752VY confirms this: if it was a software/driver issue this would happen for all ports.

I use my laptop on a daily basis and use those ports on the left. They normally have either my GX1000 mouse or my Logitech G710+ keyboard plugged in during lan parties. The G710+ actually uses both USB ports on the left and I connect my USB headset to the keyboard which has a USB port built into it. I have never experienced a problem using those ports with devices disconnecting. But I also have power management disabled whenever the laptop is plugged into AC power (which it is plugged in 99.9% of the time). Does this only happen with external HDD's? Im just curious to know so I can try to avoid the problem you guys are having?

JustinThyme
05-10-2016, 05:37 PM
This problem only happens with the higher current draw devices such as external drives that are not solid state. Once the drives spin up and data transfer occurs they will randomly disconnect, drop the file transfer and most of the time reconnect. Now and then its necessary to unplug the drive then plug it back in.

Sanctrum
05-10-2016, 06:52 PM
This problem only happens with the higher current draw devices such as external drives that are not solid state. Once the drives spin up and data transfer occurs they will randomly disconnect, drop the file transfer and most of the time reconnect. Now and then its necessary to unplug the drive then plug it back in.

Haha! Absolutely not true! It happens with my USB 3.0 Pen Drive Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB - what amount of current might it need? 1/10 of HDD?

hexaae
05-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Since the problem only occurs with the left port, it's a strong evidence it's a HW issue anyway. I don't think at this point it's worth wasting time trying to find a software fix (new ideas? I already tried EVERYTHING) for a HW issue. G752VY has USB 3.0 ports also on the right, and they are ok on this side. Every clue says it's actually a USB daughter board issue on the left the cause.
Some rumors on the net say it may be a bug introduced with Windows 8.1, not reproducible on the same HW with Windows 8.0 and before, but this won't explain why the right USB 3.0 ports are ok instead then...
There are also Linux distro users that are sure the issue happen also on the penguin and this would be the definitive demonstration it's a HW issue.

Old thread here on ASUS forum (G751JY/JT): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else
Interesting post: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else&p=455699&viewfull=1#post455699

Would a BIOS update fix the issue? Who knows...

MrRuckus
05-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Well on a side note until they fix it. This is always an option. I bought one to put the USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 port to work on my G752. Grabbed it on sale. Fits the aluminum color scheme and seems to work nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-4-Port-Type-Aluminum-Body/dp/B0172UHAGM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

hexaae
05-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Today I tried another external USB 3.0 bay from Amazon and I can confirm it's indeed a power issue on the left ports. The new bay I tested was configured like an external SCSI controller when plugged in and frequently disconnected and freezed all USB ports. From further tests and symptoms I can now grant it's a random power outage HW issue. I hope ASUS can find a workaround with a new BIOS version for G752VY.
Current BIOS for G752VY is 213

Clintlgm
05-23-2016, 01:43 AM
Well I have had the issue with my G75 since 2012 when I bought it and followed the issue through the current G752 models its a well known issue I personally just use the right front port for USB 3.0. It doesn't appear Asus is worried about the problem either My best guess has always been the left ports are not getting enough power to them ports. Even with a powered hub the problem exist as all the powered hubs count on getting that 500 ml Amp from the Motherboard. Since were talking 4 years with the same issue I don't think its a BIOS Issue rather a hardware failure. For me I just work around it, and I'll buy a G752 as soon and some work breaks loose for me to justify the expense.

hexaae
05-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Since were talking 4 years with the same issue I don't think its a BIOS Issue rather a hardware failure.
For me too, but who knows...

Julskey
06-08-2016, 12:30 AM
any drive that is NOT USB powered will run without a single glitch 100% of the time. If the drive draws its power from USB then its all about how much. Ive used multiple SSD drives with no issues at all and multiple spinners with no issues. Seagate backup plus 2.5" portables have given me no worries. 2 WD drives crap about every 10 minutes then if I unplug them and plug them back in they work for another 10. If its just streaming from them there is little issue, if its large file transfers the WD are guaranteed to crap 100% of the time.

Same goes for me. (1TB/1.5TB) WD pissport portable hdd randomly disconnects from left side ports. My Adata and Seagate and even usb powered enclosures work just fine.

hexaae
06-08-2016, 11:19 PM
I was very lucky with the G751JY G-Sync upgrade after all: new mobo, 4710HQ -> 4860HQ, 980M with G-Sync of course, and STABLE USB 3.0 PORTS on the left side!
It doesn't disconnect anymore, NEVER (tested for 1 week with the same external drive that made it disconnect randomly in the past). Good luck to all...

warryabel
06-09-2016, 07:02 AM
ok,when only the switch of the mb is work for the usb failure (device 15 error?) then i think asus must switch all affected board because hardwarefailure,right?
we couldnt resolve this issue without changing motherboard,asus you must do something i think!
p.s. the sound popping issue,isnt there under linux! asus/windows driver are not programmed correctly.

korimitsu
09-26-2016, 03:20 PM
I think I'm having the same issue on my Asus G751JY. Whenever I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive the mouse freezes periodically:

MAD CATZ R.A.T. 3 MOUSE LAGGY JERKY MOVEMENT ON USB 3.0 PORT ON ASUS G751JY (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87876-Mad-Catz-R-A-T-3-mouse-laggy-jerky-movement-on-USB-3-0-port-on-Asus-G751JY)

neoDD69
09-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Hi guys,
my G752VY have a randomly same problems with USB3.0., not so frequently.

Mouses, works weel, but with high load on external HD connected on the left USBs it run for few minutes and then problems to read and need a plug out-in to return operative.

I've read someone talked about the BIOS v.213: I'm testing from few days, some issue are solved (FANS at 100%, light of the cover/back, ecc),
but contain a very BAD ISSUE , see my post (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87900-ROG752-VY-Win10-BIOS-213-*-SERIOUS-ISSUE-*-ACIP-SYS-takes-12-CPU-PC-STUTTERING).
In my experience with the 213, the USB working bad ... mouses connected with HUB USB3.0 jump like kangaroo ... HD have a lot of retry.
I'm rollback to 212 just few minutes ago ... and now the PC works well ... USBs some times say goodbye ... but is much better than 213!

Cheers,
Davide - Italy

Armesis
09-28-2016, 08:27 PM
I also have this problem lol, very very annoying. This laptop (g752vy) has had more problems than 3 of my pc's and 2 other laptops combined. Last asus im ever buying.