PDA

View Full Version : I want to use windows 7 on my Asus G752VT laptop, can anyone help me?

ukiyapaul
04-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Hi, I want to use windows 7 on my Asus G752VT laptop but I tried to install it many times but I get BSOD even with Windows 8 (not 8.1). Can anyone help me with this or is it just not possible to run Windows 7 on my laptop?

My Asus G752VT is all that came with original but I added a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB, a Seagate 2TB HDD, and 1TB HGST 7200RPM (removed the dvd drive).

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 06:26 PM
My guide in my sig has links that expains how to install windows 8/10 on G752 serie.
these instructions aren't different then what is written about win8/10 - as you MUST install your windows as UEFI to utilize your HW as much as possible.
the only difference is that you'll need to provide NVME driver to the windows installer inorder to use the M.2 SSD. ( unless you use AHCI instead which means to have to sacrifice i/o transfer speed ).

After the installation, about drivers, read here. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)&p=568082&viewfull=1#post568082)

ukiyapaul
04-17-2016, 06:48 PM
My guide in my sig has links that expains how to install windows 8/10 on G752 serie.
these instructions aren't different then what is written about win8/10 - as you MUST install your windows as UEFI to utilize your HW as much as possible.
the only difference is that you'll need to provide NVME driver to the windows installer inorder to use the M.2 SSD. ( unless you use AHCI instead which means to have to sacrifice i/o transfer speed ).

After the installation, about drivers, read here. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)&p=568082&viewfull=1#post568082)

Thanks for your input, I am not trying to run windows 7 or 8 on my 950 Pro, I still use Windows 10 on it, I only want to be able to run Windows 7 installed on another drive but when I install it and I guess its configuring my devices I get BSOD. Will try to read through your guide and hope it has something that helps me, as long as I understand it though.

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks for your input, I am not trying to run windows 7 or 8 on my 950 Pro
in that case - take the m.2 card out, so there shouldn't be BSOD (may be ) and that the OS will install a new boot loader.
for that, you MUST format your HDD ( the device where win7 gonna be on ) with the GPT layout.
When, let win7 installer ( that you've made accourding to my guide so it will support UEFI BOOT ) to format the partitions on that drive ( see my guide for explanation what you should get ) and install it.
that way - AFAIK, you'll get TWO ENTRIES OF "Windows boot manager" in the boot-selection-menu ( by pressing ESC During POST ).
you can ofcourse later on add an entry on the 2nd OS into the 1st bootloader... but that is an advanced action, 100 steps from where you're now.
ONLY AFTER win7 was installed correctly, return the m.2 card -> make sure the in the bios you got NVME config for the m.2 connector.

I presume that prior to anything you've config your SATA in the bios to be on AHCI (NOT RAID !) and the M.2 to work with NVME.
I know that you need to update to one of the latest BIOS versions to get AHCI support for SATA based storage devices.
I presume also that IN ANY CASE YOU'VE SET "CSM option" to DISABLED in the bios, in order to get the "legacy BIOS emulation" OFF, i.e to work in UEFI MODE.

ukiyapaul
04-17-2016, 07:36 PM
CSM Option is disabled, SATA is AHCI,. So I really need to remove my 950 Pro first and install windows 7 on a new drive? The HDD that I have installed contains Data and would rather use a new drive without removing the two other HDD. I also tried running Winodws 7 using WintoUSB in the hopes I can get windows 7 to run on my external HDD.

Still have a lot of reading to do.

ukiyapaul
04-17-2016, 07:41 PM
in that case - take the m.2 card out, so there shouldn't be BSOD (may be ) and that the OS will install a new boot loader.
for that, you MUST format your HDD ( the device where win7 gonna be on ) with the GPT layout.
When, let win7 installer ( that you've made accourding to my guide so it will support UEFI BOOT ) to format the partitions on that drive ( see my guide for explanation what you should get ) and install it.
that way - AFAIK, you'll get TWO ENTRIES OF "Windows boot manager" in the boot-selection-menu ( by pressing ESC During POST ).
you can ofcourse later on add an entry on the 2nd OS into the 1st bootloader... but that is an advanced action, 100 steps from where you're now.
ONLY AFTER win7 was installed correctly, return the m.2 card -> make sure the in the bios you got NVME config for the m.2 connector.

I presume that prior to anything you've config your SATA in the bios to be on AHCI (NOT RAID !) and the M.2 to work with NVME.
I know that you need to update to one of the latest BIOS versions to get AHCI support for SATA based storage devices.
I presume also that IN ANY CASE YOU'VE SET "CSM option" to DISABLED in the bios, in order to get the "legacy BIOS emulation" OFF, i.e to work in UEFI MODE.

I think I should tell you the reason why I need windows 7, its because a few games of mine namely Alliance of Valiant Arms dont run properly on Windows 8.1 and 10 as I tested on my 4yr old desktop.
I found out that using windows 7 the games run almost perfect but windows 8.1 and 10 have huge frame drops which makes it no fun to play at all. So windows 7 will only be used for playing those games while still using windows 10 for everything else.

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 08:30 PM
I think I should tell you the reason why I need windows 7, its because a few games of mine namely Alliance of Valiant Arms dont run properly on Windows 8.1 and 10 as I tested on my 4yr old desktop.
I found out that using windows 7 the games run almost perfect but windows 8.1 and 10 have huge frame drops which makes it no fun to play at all. So windows 7 will only be used for playing those games while still using windows 10 for everything else.
WOW... you're willing togo through all of that just for AVA ? cool.. well... it doesn't matter the reason... learning is learning and will serve you good in the future.

anywho.. I saw that AVA run well on win10 as this forum states (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?126278-Windows-10).
Also, on win8 and 10 you better install DX 9.0 "directx_Jun2010_redist" - I guess it serves that game more then many.
Also, try to follow up with the thread, as it more specific for your case (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?126557-Pending-Windows-10-Performance-Issue). ( they said that win8.1 works fine... so no need to goto win7 )
Lastly, take a look at these recommendation. (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?128234-Updated-25-Jan-For-players-encountering-latency-and-or-frame-rate-is)
IMHO, you'll find the linked forum more help to your case then here as it isn't rog specific issue, but a game specific issue.

ukiyapaul
04-17-2016, 08:50 PM
WOW... you're willing togo through all of that just for AVA ? cool.. well... it doesn't matter the reason... learning is learning and will serve you good in the future.

anywho.. I saw that AVA run well on win10 as this forum states (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?126278-Windows-10).
Also, on win8 and 10 you better install DX 9.0 "directx_Jun2010_redist" - I guess it serves that game more then many.
Also, try to follow up with the thread, as it more specific for your case (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?126557-Pending-Windows-10-Performance-Issue). ( they said that win8.1 works fine... so no need to goto win7 )
Lastly, take a look at these recommendation. (http://forum.ava.garena.com/showthread.php?128234-Updated-25-Jan-For-players-encountering-latency-and-or-frame-rate-is)
IMHO, you'll find the linked forum more help to your case then here as it isn't rog specific issue, but a game specific issue.

Just made windows 7 run by removing the 950 Pro, still no drivers for a lot of hardware, cant even use mouse.
The link which states AVA is running fine I saw it and there was no more information it just said it was fine. For me on windows 8.1 and 10 AVA runs but get random FPS drop of 15-49 Frames which causes the screen to freeze for a second which is more than enough to get me killed depending on the situation im in since the fps drop is random, can happen while im standing still, running or shooting which pisses me off.
I have played AVA since it was beta for North America and I still like the game. I keep searching for fixes or anything that will fix that bad fps drop and found nothing. I did read an article mentioning that AVA's game engine UT3 i think its developers did not release a patch for windows 10 and will probably never do since its old and version 4 is already available.

I have no problem with windows 10 aside from it cannot run a few of my games properly, if there is a fix out there I would like to know. Google searches turn up empty aside from the typical using lowest setting for the game to get better FPS, which still does not work since using lowest settings does help decreese FPS drop to about 5-23 it still happens and affects my game badly. My old desktop which is just slightly less powerfull than my laptop runs it at a stable 60fps with almost no noticiable fps drop if theres a fps drop its only less than 3.

Gps3dx
04-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Just made windows 7 run by removing the 950 Pro, still no drivers for a lot of hardware, cant even use mouse.

oh... wonderful :-)
for mouse to get working you need the XHCI drivers from intel - I got guide for this also in my sig, as the XHCI drivers were developed for win7 ( so USB 3.0 can work ).
I think in your case drp.su ISO drivers package can really help for any driver beside NVIDIA graphics that I suggest you get from NVIDIA.
After you connect the m.2 card and boot win7 again, you'll get, almost for sure, a device with missing drivers...
search fernando's site (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html) for that ( linked ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html) - dunno if it will work with win7 though - think if you need at all access to the M.2 ssd's partitions files.

JustinThyme
04-18-2016, 03:52 PM
You will continue with a laundry list of driver related problems as a lot of the hardware was developed after win7 which is now obsolete, mainstream support ended Jan 13, 2015.

ukiyapaul
04-18-2016, 09:50 PM
oh... wonderful :-)
for mouse to get working you need the XHCI drivers from intel - I got guide for this also in my sig, as the XHCI drivers were developed for win7 ( so USB 3.0 can work ).
I think in your case drp.su ISO drivers package can really help for any driver beside NVIDIA graphics that I suggest you get from NVIDIA.
After you connect the m.2 card and boot win7 again, you'll get, almost for sure, a device with missing drivers...
search fernando's site (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html) for that ( linked ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html) - dunno if it will work with win7 though - think if you need at all access to the M.2 ssd's partitions files.

Will try it, but I also tried drivers pack which for some reason made my keyboard or any keyboard not work at all so Im stuck on a windwos 7 login screen. Will try your suggestion but already its a pain getting it to work. Seriously considering using my old desktop, doesnt have gsync and monitor is only 60hz but if I cant get it to work with windows 7 theres nothing more I can do about it.

ukiyapaul
04-18-2016, 09:51 PM
You will continue with a laundry list of driver related problems as a lot of the hardware was developed after win7 which is now obsolete, mainstream support ended Jan 13, 2015.

Your absolutely right, its already a pain but I will still try some things before giving up.