PDA

View Full Version : What is best for me?

renegade262_[SSGS]
12-27-2011, 03:44 AM
I have found some great prices on Asus G-Series Notebooks, but i have no idea what to get. People have been saying bad things about the G74sx which was what i was really looking at. I have been in need of an upgrade forever. I have been using a HORRIBLE Dell inspiron with 2gb of ram and other bad specs. Also i have a limited knowledge of computers. Please leave suggestions on what Asus i should get.

---------

-I need at least 8gb of RAM

-I need a graphics card that can handle games like Battlefield 3

-I need it to not get to hot for when i am playing somewhat graphic intensive games on my lap.

-Size does not matter because i will be transporting it rarely

-It needs to be able to handle 1-2 monitors

-Needs to be reliable

The computer i get does not need to do all of thoses things but most of them. Please help me find what is right for me.

fostert
12-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Your needs read like a spec sheet of the G74! Get it. Its fast for BF3, it stays extremely cool, it handles 1-2 external monitors, and can actually upgrade all the way to 32GB of RAM if you need it! Plus having this forum is one of the best benefits of G74 ownership: its like having free tech support at anytime of the day or night, and it is so incredibly educational that you'll find yourself (intentionally and sometimes unintentionally!) avoiding most of the common G74 problems and mistakes just by reading the posts and following the advice of others here! The G74 problems you read about in this forum are ~80% or so solved by the OP heeding advice from the members and working with them towards solving the issues. Another 10-15% are true RMA cases, and the final 5-10% of posts are from folks who have decided they hate the G74 for whatever reason (including a poor RMA experience) and are needing to vent. From an outsider's perspective it may look like the g74 is the second coming of the plague, but I have owned mine for ~3 months now and nary an issue. For me it is not just a desktop replacement, but a workstation replacement.

Finally I just *love* the understated flat black motif and angled corners. This is power humbly disguised!

renegade262_[SSGS]
12-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks and 32gb Ram would be amazing but i would only go to 16 max.

fostert
12-27-2011, 04:11 AM
I understand; 32GB is extreme and overkill for most users but it does give one peace of mind in that the G74 is "future proof", at least a little.
BTW, I came to the G74 after owning a Dell Latitude 610 for ~6 years. Been a good little laptop, but not upgradeable at all, and the monitor is now halfways broken off the hinges. Thats another feature I liked about the G74: the rock solid beefy hinge!

renegade262_[SSGS]
12-27-2011, 04:13 AM
What did u do to the dell put it in the dryer?

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 04:17 AM
The one caveat, comparing your specs to the G74s: Assuming all the hardware is working...no defects, etc...the G74 is mechanically pretty reliable, IMO. About as much as any other laptop out there, I suspect.

But that should not be confused with "maintenance-free." The G74 is NOT a take-it-out-of-the-box-and-you're-done kind of computer. Getting optimal, stable performance requires some user intervention. With a few exceptions, almost everybody here who is really happy with their G74 has done a clean Windows installation, as the Asus bloatware adds too many opportunities for conflicts and headaches.

fostert
12-27-2011, 04:18 AM
Naw, just 6 years of non-stop solid use by the family, travelling, use at work, etc. Plus having a toddler around doesn't help. Monitor is now held onto the broken hinge with, you guessed it, duct tape!

fostert
12-27-2011, 04:25 AM
But that should not be confused with "maintenance-free." The G74 is NOT a take-it-out-of-the-box-and-you're-done kind of computer. Getting optimal, stable performance requires some user intervention. With a few exceptions, almost everybody here who is really happy with their G74 has done a clean Windows installation, as the Asus bloatware adds too many opportunities for conflicts and headaches.

This is the best piece of advice you'll get for sure. When I got the G74 I insisted on formatting and repartitioning my disks so that I could install Linux, and I now have Windows installed on its own tight little partition, and I keep it clean and clear of ASUS software and most other things. To tell the honest truth I have not experienced any of the common problems that users bring to us in this forum.

renegade262_[SSGS]
12-27-2011, 04:33 AM
The question is how easy would it be for me to upgrade this computer, and like i said i have only a little computer knowledge. Is this something where it is a simple pop-in pop-out of is there more to it.

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 04:36 AM
;57165']The question is how easy would it be for me to upgrade this computer, and like i said i have only a little computer knowledge. Is this something where it is a simple pop-in pop-out of is there more to it.
Most of the commonly-upgraded hardware is very easy to swap out. RAM, HDDs, and WLAN card are all under one big panel on the back.

If you mean software, a clean install is pretty easy if you get some guidance.

fostert
12-27-2011, 04:39 AM
RAM, both HDD bays, and the wireless card are all accessible under the main panel, which is held on by one big screw that a coin could twist. CPU is upgradeable to any with the 988 PGA socket, but it is difficult to get at since it requires disassembly of the system. Unfortunately the GPU is soldered onto the mainboard and is not user upgradeable. And finally, any upgrade you do must be supervised and passed by the G74's BIOS, which is nearly completely locked from manual changes by the user.

renegade262_[SSGS]
12-27-2011, 05:00 AM
What kind and how much ram do you suggest?

PILGRIM
12-27-2011, 06:56 AM
;57172']What kind and how much ram do you suggest?

Since I presume you're a newbie like me (and maybe not an "overclocker"),
8 GB minimum should do for normal stuff like games, basic computing, etc.

Laptops come bundled with RAM, so you don't have really much choice on the kind/model, do you?..

fostert
12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Agreed, 8 GB is enough for most users. The general trend I see is:

Overclocker/bench breaker -> 2-4GB RAM
Home, Office, Games -> 6-8 GB
CAD, tech, modelling, some games -> 12-16 GB
Insane -> 32 GB

Windows steals 1-2GB for itself depending on the number of processes you like running. I can get Linux going with all the bells and whistles with only 300-400 MB.

PILGRIM
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
...Insane -> 32 GB...

Ha ha!... You've got 32 GB RAM, don't you?

fostert
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Ha ha!... You've got 32 GB RAM, don't you?
Yessir...thats me. Insane because I paid $120 per stick, which are now going FOR $78 EACH!! AAARGH....$#$%@$