PDA

View Full Version : G752VY ssd/hdd upgrade questions

miky1989
04-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello everyone.
Actually i think to remove 1tb HDD (it will become external hard drive) from my Asus G752VY and put my Samsung 850 Evo 500gb.
After do that, is better install operative system on it? (maybe 850 evo is fastest than internal M2 ssd 250gb)

If yes.. how can i format the stock partition without delete OEM serial key of Windows 10 Home?
I wanna start from zero.. without pre-installed software's (because have some issues comparing to my older and good assembled pc)

Thanks

P. S. is true that SSD have less life than classic HDD?
much guys raccomanded to don't format or install/unistall inside SSD many times.. because can broke fastest than older HDD.

Now i have only the M2 250gb inside my notebook (Asus G752VY) and this Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (i bought this version because they speaked about more lifetime than other models)
, so council me about it

miky1989
04-27-2016, 01:05 PM
There is a lot posted already on this subject , and the subject of your other posting. With a bit of digging you get the answers (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83061-G752VY-BIOS-211-released-with-AHCI-and-RAID-0) to your questions.

All the best!

Thanks, but not really.
Just didn't found this:

I wanna clean version of Windwos 10 (without pre-installed software's) .
I need to make a system image of Windows preinstalled, format and install Windows Home from DVD ?

If yes.. how the serial number can be transfert to the new version of Windows ?
Or.. if i'll install different Windows version (example Pro or Business edition) and in the future i need to RMA the notebook, all that i need to do is reinstall old version of Windows, right ? (the version that now i have preinstalled),
so, there's no problem to return at stock version with OEM serial if i use dofferent key and different Windwos' version?

Sorry for bad english.. i'm an italian guy :)

Clintlgm
04-27-2016, 01:24 PM
The information on installing Clean can be found in this sticky thread the red colored threads at the top of the forum. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)
Your window 10 key is not embedded in any hard drive it is red from the Mother board and you should automatically activate since the MS Activation Servers all ready have your notebooks signature.
I also would advise against moving your OS to any SATA SSD, the M.2 NVME SSD is at least 4 to 5 times faster for your OS to operate from it would be foolish to move it to a far inferior SATA SSD.

kidfromhell
04-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone.
Actually i think to remove 1tb HDD (it will become external hard drive) from my Asus G752VY and put my Samsung 850 Evo 500gb.
After do that, is better install operative system on it? (maybe 850 evo is fastest than internal M2 ssd 250gb)

If yes.. how can i format the stock partition without delete OEM serial key of Windows 10 Home?
I wanna start from zero.. without pre-installed software's (because have some issues comparing to my older and good assembled pc)

Thanks

P. S. is true that SSD have less life than classic HDD?
much guys raccomanded to don't format or install/unistall inside SSD many times.. because can broke fastest than older HDD.

Now i have only the M2 250gb inside my notebook (Asus G752VY) and this Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (i bought this version because they speaked about more lifetime than other models)
, so council me about it

Okay, I'll try to answer your questions in the order you've asked.

1. The M.2 SSD that came with your G752 is way faster than your EVO 500GB. So I suggest that you leave the M.2 as it is and remove the 1TB to put your EVO in, and install windows to the M.2.
2. Yes, the SSDs do have a lifespan. But that's probably something you SHOULDN'T worry about. Until you do a LOOOOT of writing and reading, it should be good for another 5 years
(minimum) or so.

kidfromhell
04-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks, but not really.
Just didn't found this:

I wanna clean version of Windwos 10 (without pre-installed software's) .
I need to make a system image of Windows preinstalled, format and install Windows Home from DVD ?

If yes.. how the serial number can be transfert to the new version of Windows ?
Or.. if i'll install different Windows version (example Pro or Business edition) and in the future i need to RMA the notebook, all that i need to do is reinstall old version of Windows, right ? (the version that now i have preinstalled),
so, there's no problem to return at stock version with OEM serial if i use dofferent key and different Windwos' version?

Sorry for bad english.. i'm an italian guy :)

You notebook should have a recovery partition that should help you to revert back to the factory installation if you want. I suggest that you take a backup of it.

As far as the serial number transfer goes, IF you're using the latest image of Windows 10 (build 1511, get it from microsoft), you should be good. The latest versions automatically give you a serial number for windows 10 when you're upgrading from a legit version of Windows 7. This happens after installation I guess. So you should be good on this. No need to worry about transferring.

But, after you do the upgrade, you'll lose your windows 7 serial key. So I suggest that you take a backup of it if you wanna downgrade later down the road.