PDA

View Full Version : G752VY Lid opening issue

hexaae
04-30-2016, 08:09 AM
The issue:
when you put in sleep mode (and then in hibernation due to timeout) and close the lid, if you open the lid after some hours to wake up the PC the screen will be off.

Repro steps:
- set "close the lid" action to put laptop in sleep mode
- set display timeout to 10 minutes and sleep mode to 25 minutes
- set hibernation after 60 minutes (default is 180)

- let the system go in sleep mode after 25 minutes (or just go sleep mode manually)
- close the lid
- let the time pass and the system go in hibernation (with closed lid). Then wait a few hours. Overnight will be perfect for testing.
- open the lid and press the power button to wake up from hibernation
at this point the laptop will boot up regularly but with screen turned off (!?), keyboard lit and mouse working.
Fastboot is on.

WORKAROUND:
You'll have to close, wait the system go in sleep mode for this, and re-open it once again to see the screen finally turned on. Alternatively you can press Fn+F1 to put the PC in sleep mode again, and then wake it up again pressing some keys.

Another BIOS 213 issue. :(

EDIT:
will test with Fastboot off...

hexaae
04-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Fastboot off didn't workaround this nth BIOS issue.

To reproduce the issue you have to wait 2-3 hours at least after you closed the lid. If you follow the above mentioned repro steps with reduced wait times you won't see the issue (e.g. setting hibernation after 5 min, and opening the lid right after). All the clues say it must be a BIOS issue.

hexaae
05-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Has someone tried de-selecting "Wake up PC from sleep on lid open" from BIOS, as a workaround?
Will test this myself...

I wonder if it's just an nVidia driver issue or a bad combo video drivers + bad BIOS? I tested all 364.xx family and the bug was still there... same with latest 365.10.
I will try also disabling VGA drivers completely (= the system will use std MS VGA drivers) and then testing again to verify it's not just a nVidia issue.
(Shame on ASUS support, totally ignoring these BIOS issues!)

hexaae
05-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Ok, IT IS a BIOS (213) issue: I disabled "Wake up on lid opening" from the BIOS and can't reproduce the issue, this means that function in the BIOS is buggy and triggers the issue.

jarablue
05-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Could you tell me what the fix is? What power settings to I need to enable/disable? I have set my bios to disabled for wake on lid opening. What do I need to set in power options? As of right now my GL752VW with 213 bios and the latest nvidia/intel graphics drivers still cause my screen to not turn on. I'd love to know how you fixed this. Thanks much! :)

hexaae
05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
There is no fix unfortunately. It's a BIOS bug in the Wake up on lid open function.
The only workaround is to disable it completely. Doing so, when you open the lid and resume from hibernation pressing power button, won't show the black screen issue at least... sigh...
Enter the BIOS (F2) and disable that feature.

Let's hope ASUS will fix this bug in next BIOS updates.

hexaae
05-06-2016, 11:52 AM
I was wrong: doesn't work even disabling BIOS option! :(
Closed lid today (putting G752VY in standby), after 1 hour I reopened the lid and resumed from hibernation with power button, and... black screen (with keyboard lit, Windows running). Had to put the laptop in sleep mode again and resume PC again to resume also screen on.

diogogmaio
09-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Any news on this? Still happens -.-

JustinThyme
09-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Easy Fix, disable sleep, hibernation and fast boot.
When done with machine, start>power>shutdown
When ready to use open lid and push power button.
The works 100% of the time.

Ive never been a fan of hibernation or sleep modes in any machine. The chances of it working correctly in any machine is slim to none. Back in the day when it took forever to boot and another forever to be ready to launch programs it was almost understandable, however, with modern machines it takes the blink of an eye to boot from an SSD and half a blink to launch a program. Within 30 seconds time I can be booted and have a dozen apps open.

So IMO sleep and hibernation have long outlived their purpose. Hibernation and fast boot are actually detrimental to your SSD with level of this monstrosity growing the larger your RAM is. Every time go to hibernation or shut down with fast boot enabled the entire contents of your RAM is written to hiberfil.sys file. Problem one with that, for me thats 64GB of write to my SSD that doesnt do a thing for me other than give me one less write capability to my SSD shortening its lifespan. Problem two, if you get buggered and want to reboot to solve it reboot does nothing but load the problem right back up. The only way out of that is the dreaded hold the power button down for hard shut down.

Even the brand new OLD tech lenovo that my company issued me does this. Helix POS. Solution ? Same as above. Disable all that crap.:cool:

httuner
09-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Easy Fix, disable sleep, hibernation and fast boot.
When done with machine, start>power>shutdown
When ready to use open lid and push power button.
The works 100% of the time.

Ive never been a fan of hibernation or sleep modes in any machine. The chances of it working correctly in any machine is slim to none. Back in the day when it took forever to boot and another forever to be ready to launch programs it was almost understandable, however, with modern machines it takes the blink of an eye to boot from an SSD and half a blink to launch a program. Within 30 seconds time I can be booted and have a dozen apps open.

So IMO sleep and hibernation have long outlived their purpose. Hibernation and fast boot are actually detrimental to your SSD with level of this monstrosity growing the larger your RAM is. Every time go to hibernation or shut down with fast boot enabled the entire contents of your RAM is written to hiberfil.sys file. Problem one with that, for me thats 64GB of write to my SSD that doesnt do a thing for me other than give me one less write capability to my SSD shortening its lifespan. Problem two, if you get buggered and want to reboot to solve it reboot does nothing but load the problem right back up. The only way out of that is the dreaded hold the power button down for hard shut down.

Even the brand new OLD tech lenovo that my company issued me does this. Helix POS. Solution ? Same as above. Disable all that crap.:cool:

You do realize that these options are extremely useful on laptops; in fact they should work 110% of the time; All the computers/laptops I've ever owned has never had this problem except for this particular G752 and it seems others have the same issue too; There is definitely an issue here that needs to be addressed; these power saving options needs to work properly as they should and do for other computers; why is it that the G752 suffer this?

Disabling these options is just the easy way out; ultimately everyone wants a fix; it is possible we just have to figure out whats the fix or by reporting these issues; perhaps Asus will somehow see that this problem isn't just with one laptop but with many;

SSD's are nice and they are the future; but they are still expensive; especially if you need a larger drive 1TB + even some 500GB drives are still expensive too; The old HDD is still reliable and fast enough to satisfy many users and continues to do so for good money; its just nice to have everything work as they should and by having consumers report these issues we get fixes.

I have this issue; been attempting to find a fix for a while now; although it may seem to have gone away it still comes back every now and then; I have a 256 950pro nvMe SSD along with 1TB HDD; On the original Asus windows 10 install I had this problem; on a fresh windows 10 install I have this problem_ Messing with the BIOS and power saving features seems to not correct this issue; its on-going but rarely does it happen so perhaps their is a bug somewhere.

Armesis
09-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Ive also been having problems with this, the setting simply wont work. Very typical of an asus rog laptop, nothing works smoothly.

Gps3dx
09-28-2016, 11:29 PM
@hexaae - was your "secure boot" option in the bios was DISABLED while you were using bios v213 ?
what-ever bios you're on right now... please try to disable it and try to see if it helped.

MrRuckus
09-29-2016, 04:21 PM
You do realize that these options are extremely useful on laptops; in fact they should work 110% of the time; All the computers/laptops I've ever owned has never had this problem except for this particular G752 and it seems others have the same issue too; There is definitely an issue here that needs to be addressed; these power saving options needs to work properly as they should and do for other computers; why is it that the G752 suffer this?

I think you bought the wrong laptop. A gaming laptop of this caliber (G752VY) is meant to be a desktop replacement. They aren't really meant to run on battery or go into Hibernation. Hibernation was meant for laptops from yesteryear when dedicated GPU's weren't around. People became accustomed to it so its persisted and stayed. But as JustinThyme pointed out, its not really needed anymore as laptop HDD's are no longer 4200, 5400 RPM drives and are on par with desktop drives as far as speed goes. Especially a machine like the G752VY with the NVMe SSD.

I personally have disabled hibernation, because Im not wasting 32GB of this NVMe drive on it and have never had an issue. I can close all programs down accept for maybe a browser window, close the lid, and the laptop has lasted days on the battery in that state. The laptop never goes into "sleep". Just turns off the display after 1HR on battery. The CPU/GPU of today manage power VERY well when there's nothing going on and no monitor being used. I have to admit I only use the battery when the laptop is being transported either to work or from home. I used it rarely on battery, but I have.

This laptop boots so fast, I just dont see the need for hibernation. Seems like excess wear on the NVMe drive for no reason.

JustinThyme
09-30-2016, 04:48 AM

Disabling these options is just the easy way out; ultimately everyone wants a fix; it is possible we just have to figure out whats the fix or by reporting these issues; perhaps Asus will somehow see that this problem isn't just with one laptop but with many;

SSD's are nice and they are the future; but they are still expensive; especially if you need a larger drive 1TB + even some 500GB drives are still expensive too; The old HDD is still reliable and fast enough to satisfy many users and continues to do so for good money; its just nice to have everything work as they should and by having consumers report these issues we get fixes.

I have this issue; been attempting to find a fix for a while now; although it may seem to have gone away it still comes back every now and then; I have a 256 950pro nvMe SSD along with 1TB HDD; On the original Asus windows 10 install I had this problem; on a fresh windows 10 install I have this problem_ Messing with the BIOS and power saving features seems to not correct this issue; its on-going but rarely does it happen so perhaps their is a bug somewhere.

I find zero use in any of them. I actually classify it as bloatware. Disabling these options is a 100% fix whether you think its easy or not. Been a power user for better than 30 years and never used any of these options. Like I said when Im done, particularly with a laptop I close apps and shut it down. When I want to power it back on I click the power button. Nothing gained by using these options other than wasting time being anal retentive and nothing lost by not using them. Matter of fact I can name at least one bad thing that can happen and I guarantee you anyone who leaves these features enabled has done it at least once. Close lid, put in back, something cause it to wake and you open up your bag and not ony is your battery dead but your laptop is one step away from spontaneous combustion.
If Im in the middle of something, I ALWAYS save it before I close. What do you gain? getting back to an open app 10 seconds faster?

If you cant afford an SSD you cant afford one of these machines either. About like buying a Porche and putting a VW beetle engine in it.

Hate to call it out but how can one complain about speed at getting back to apps and in the same paragraph say a spinner at 100MB/s is fast enough when you can have an M2 SSD blazing at 3000MB/s? A bit contradictory dont you think? Even if you want to cheap out there are other ways. You can keep your 1TB POS spinner for storage and buy a 256GB M2 SSD which is more than plenty for the OS and apps. Me, I run 2 512GB M2 SSDs in raid 0 and a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO in the other slot. Thats 2TB on board which is over kill as it is. Need more for media? External drives are dirt cheap.

httuner
09-30-2016, 07:33 PM
I find zero use in any of them. I actually classify it as bloatware. Disabling these options is a 100% fix whether you think its easy or not. Been a power user for better than 30 years and never used any of these options. Like I said when Im done, particularly with a laptop I close apps and shut it down. When I want to power it back on I click the power button. Nothing gained by using these options other than wasting time being anal retentive and nothing lost by not using them. Matter of fact I can name at least one bad thing that can happen and I guarantee you anyone who leaves these features enabled has done it at least once. Close lid, put in back, something cause it to wake and you open up your bag and not ony is your battery dead but your laptop is one step away from spontaneous combustion.
If Im in the middle of something, I ALWAYS save it before I close. What do you gain? getting back to an open app 10 seconds faster?

If you cant afford an SSD you cant afford one of these machines either. About like buying a Porche and putting a VW beetle engine in it.

Hate to call it out but how can one complain about speed at getting back to apps and in the same paragraph say a spinner at 100MB/s is fast enough when you can have an M2 SSD blazing at 3000MB/s? A bit contradictory dont you think? Even if you want to cheap out there are other ways. You can keep your 1TB POS spinner for storage and buy a 256GB M2 SSD which is more than plenty for the OS and apps. Me, I run 2 512GB M2 SSDs in raid 0 and a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO in the other slot. Thats 2TB on board which is over kill as it is. Need more for media? External drives are dirt cheap.

We are a community here helping each other not hating on one another. There is no need for your rudeness;

If you would've read my post correctly; you've realize there is no compliant about speed at getting back to apps; my complaint is that the laptop seems to have a bug to which it doesn't wake from sleep properly(same as the OP whom has this issue); I use that feature and so does many others; Yes I understand hibernation is no longer a useful feature and should be disable to which I do have it disable and I'm sure many others have too; but Sleep; I look at Sleep as a power saving feature. If I'm using a program or in the middle of a project and you walk away from the laptop for a while its nice to have sleep so that when I get back I just open it up and its back to where I left off at.

hexaae
01-26-2017, 12:28 AM
I use sleep/hibernation every day and find them very useful for a simple reason: you can leave all your programs (and work) open and restart from where you left off quickly and safely. If you use many programs at the same time for your job and don't want to waste time at reloading all of them, all the data files, and search for each program the exact point you were working at (imagine you're working on multiple text sources and with different media types all connected to each other).... This is a practical and useful reason to still use sleep/hibernation: we have PCs, not consoles to play games and shut-down when finished :cool:

diogogmaio
01-26-2017, 10:04 AM
I use sleep/hibernation every day and find them very useful for a simple reason: you can leave all your programs (and work) open and restart from where you left off quickly and safely. If you use many programs at the same time for your job and don't want to waste time at reloading all of them, all the data files, and search for each program the exact point you were working at (imagine you're working on multiple text sources and with different media types all connected to each other).... This is a practical and useful reason to still use sleep/hibernation: we have PCs, not consoles to play games and shut-down when finished :cool:

@justinthyme >> this is true.

diogogmaio
01-26-2017, 10:07 AM
And also ORIGIN is the issue.