PDA

View Full Version : Can I get digital 5.1 S/PDIF out on a G752VT ?

Slick8791
05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Iíd like to hook up a very old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 speaker system to a G752VT. The manual says that the headphone jack is also a S/PDIF output.

The RealTek HD audio software indicates that a 5.1 speaker system can be selected. My 5.1 speaker system only has a AC3/RCA jack for Dolby digital input and two regular headphone mini jacks for 2-front and 2-rear analog speakers. The front speakers only work with the laptop using the headphone jack. The RealTek HD software won't recognize the rear speaks plugged into the microphone jack (it thinks they are the center speaker). I tried using a $5 adapter to turn the AC3 SPDIF RCA cable into a mini plug but it didnít work. But, I don't know if the cable doesn't work right or if its only sending a 2 channel output signal.

Will the laptop only support 2-channel output? Do I need a special digital cable to plug in to the laptop and into a separate digital converter box that the speakers would plug into?

Iím trying to understand what external pieces I need (cables, converters, etc.) if it will work at all.

cl-Albert
05-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Not sure if you will be able to connect it to your current 5.1 speakers, but for the G752VT suggest trying a Toslink digital optical SPDIF cable if you want to use SPDIF with that notebook.

Should not be very difficult to find, but below is a link from Amazon if you're interested.
http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462554543&sr=1-3&keywords=toslink+optical+spdif+cable
(http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462554543&sr=1-3&keywords=toslink+optical+spdif+cable)

Hopefully others can confirm it works too.

kidfromhell
05-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Iíd like to hook up a very old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 speaker system to a G752VT. The manual says that the headphone jack is also a S/PDIF output.

The RealTek HD audio software indicates that a 5.1 speaker system can be selected. My 5.1 speaker system only has a AC3/RCA jack for Dolby digital input and two regular headphone mini jacks for 2-front and 2-rear analog speakers. The front speakers only work with the laptop using the headphone jack. The RealTek HD software won't recognize the rear speaks plugged into the microphone jack (it thinks they are the center speaker). I tried using a $5 adapter to turn the AC3 SPDIF RCA cable into a mini plug but it didnít work. But, I don't know if the cable doesn't work right or if its only sending a 2 channel output signal.

Will the laptop only support 2-channel output? Do I need a special digital cable to plug in to the laptop and into a separate digital converter box that the speakers would plug into?

Iím trying to understand what external pieces I need (cables, converters, etc.) if it will work at all.

All you need is a TOSLINK cable. The one metioned above by clA is perfect. But, I tried googling about this and I found that there are couple of models around. If you could let us know the EXACT model number (like DTT 3500 etc.), I can guide you towards buying the proper cable for this.

Also, YES the headphone jack also doubles as a S/PDIF port. All you need is the right cable/adapter for the realtek chip to identify the 5.1speakers.

Slick8791
05-09-2016, 02:51 PM
All you need is a TOSLINK cable. The one metioned above by clA is perfect. But, I tried googling about this and I found that there are couple of models around. If you could let us know the EXACT model number (like DTT 3500 etc.), I can guide you towards buying the proper cable for this.

Also, YES the headphone jack also doubles as a S/PDIF port. All you need is the right cable/adapter for the realtek chip to identify the 5.1speakers.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :cool:

I purchased a G752VT-DH72 from Amazon.com but I'm not sure if that's the exact model number you're asking for. Please let me know if you need more info on that in order to help me out...?

PS Since my 5.1 amplifier control box doesn't have the optical digital input, I guess I'll need something like one of these converter boxes so I can plug the speakers in to it...right?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD-DA-5-1-Analog-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00NWYJQ9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1462806030&sr=1-5&keywords=digital+ac3+5.1+spdif+converter&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

kidfromhell
05-09-2016, 03:21 PM

I purchased a G752VT-DH72 from Amazon.com but I'm not sure if that's the exact model number you're asking for. Please let me know if you need more info on that in order to help me out...?

PS Since my 5.1 amplifier control box doesn't have the optical digital input, I guess I'll need something like one of these converter boxes so I can plug the speakers in to it...right?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD-DA-5-1-Analog-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00NWYJQ9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1462806030&sr=1-5&keywords=digital+ac3+5.1+spdif+converter&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

I was asking about the model number for your home theater system. Looks like there's a couple with the same name, so I guess it would be good if you could give me the exact model number. I even found a one (see my previous response), but I don't know if that's the one you have.

Slick8791
05-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I was asking about the model number for your home theater system. Looks like there's a couple with the same name, so I guess it would be good if you could give me the exact model number. I even found a one (see my previous response), but I don't know if that's the one you have.

Sorry about that...its a very old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 system (white) with model number CSW3000. I think its over 15 years old. It only has a coax RCA type jack for the digital in.

I found a link that shows the wiring diagram: http://a2.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/322/122322_081222100648_SoundworksFull.jpg

kidfromhell
05-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Sorry about that...its a very old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 system (white) with model number CSW3000. I think its over 15 years old. It only has a coax RCA type jack for the digital in.

I found a link that shows the wiring diagram: http://a2.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/322/122322_081222100648_SoundworksFull.jpg

From the pictures I saw Googling, looks like its a Digital Coax Input. So you need a Coax to RCA (you were right) cable to hook it up.

This is the one you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/L21-Digital-Coaxial-Connector-Players/dp/B019OWCID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462845194&sr=8-1&keywords=coax+to+3.5mm

You're welcome!

Slick8791
05-10-2016, 12:17 PM
From the pictures I saw Googling, looks like its a Digital Coax Input. So you need a Coax to RCA (you were right) cable to hook it up.

This is the one you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/L21-Digital-Coaxial-Connector-Players/dp/B019OWCID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462845194&sr=8-1&keywords=coax+to+3.5mm

You're welcome!

I ordered that cable and I should have it on Friday. Thanks again for the help!

cdma2k
05-11-2016, 03:46 PM
I ordered that cable and I should have it on Friday. Thanks again for the help!
It won't work if I read correctly
the o/p of G752VT is optical S/PDIF, the I/P of microphone is electrical S/PDIF.

cl-Albert
05-11-2016, 04:19 PM
the o/p of G752VT is optical S/PDIF, the I/P of microphone is electrical S/PDIF.

Yes, was going to say the same thing, but the Toslink optical cable was discussed in the earlier posts, so believe they are aware that the G752VT only has optical SPDIF output and their other post #4 copied below mentioned a converter box, so that other cable may be for the converter box to the speakers?
Not all that familiar with the converter box myself, so someone may want to help confirm this, but if you didn't see the 'converter box' link copied below, it appears to be able to convert optical to electrical signals? Thanks.

MrRuckus
05-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I've always seen red light emitted from an optical SPDIF output. Which on the SPDIF/headphone output I do not see a light. Does the light only come on when 5.1 or toslink cable is detected? or is it a setting that has to be turned on? Im just curious really. :)

burn0u7
05-12-2016, 03:08 AM
That looks like its a MINI TOSLink connector. looks like a headphone jack but it aint. more than likely, it will sense the cable has been inserted and switch itself on.

Mini TOSLink cables from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWV9O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1463022195&sr=8-6&keywords=3.5mm+s%2Fpdif+to+toslink)

Mini TosLINK WIKI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK)

Slick8791
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes, was going to say the same thing, but the Toslink optical cable was discussed in the earlier posts, so believe they are aware that the G752VT only has optical SPDIF output and their other post #4 copied below mentioned a converter box, so that other cable may be for the converter box to the speakers?
Not all that familiar with the converter box myself, so someone may want to help confirm this, but if you didn't see the 'converter box' link copied below, it appears to be able to convert optical to electrical signals? Thanks.

I'll post an update when the cable arrived today to confirm if it worked or not. Question, just exactly how does someone figure out that the S/PDIF headphone output is "optical" on the G752VT...? The manual and laptop specs only mention that its a S/PDIF output. For something that is as simple as plugging in a wire, it sure does seem overly complicated to pull off successfully. :(

Slick8791
05-12-2016, 10:15 PM

You were correct. The coaxial cable did not work.

Plan B, get the other optical cable and a converter box. :mad:

Slick8791
05-20-2016, 11:18 PM
You were correct. The coaxial cable did not work.

Plan B, get the other optical cable and a converter box. :mad:

UPDATE: I bought the other optical toslink cable mentioned earlier and the converter box, but they did not work. The laptop didn't recognize the toslink cable at all and the plug fit didn't seem to fit as well as a headphone jack would...any other ideas?

cl-Albert
05-21-2016, 12:35 AM
If you haven't already, just wanted to make sure you checked the Windows Playback devices for your notebook and set the Realtek Digital output as the default device (it should have a green checkmark instead of the speakers).

cdma2k
05-21-2016, 02:37 AM
If you haven't already, just wanted to make sure you checked the Windows Playback devices for your notebook and set the Realtek Digital output as the default device (it should have a green checkmark instead of the speakers).

yes and make sure it is in 5.1 mode

Slick8791
05-23-2016, 06:21 PM
I did try and switch the default settings over to the Realtek Digital output and I was able to get very faint test sounds out of the left and right speakers (using the toslink cable and converter box). But, thatís about as far as I was able to get with it.

I think Iíll do a hasty retreat from this little project. I spent close to $50 on the cables and converter box. I figured I can return those for a refund and put a little bit more cash into it and get a new set of speakers that will work with the three mini plugs on the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464027305&sr=8-1&keywords=5.1+computer+speakers

Work smarter, not harderÖ :cool:

cl-Albert
05-23-2016, 09:15 PM
I think I’ll do a hasty retreat from this little project. I spent close to $50 on the cables and converter box. I figured I can return those for a refund and put a little bit more cash into it and get a new set of speakers that will work with the three mini plugs on the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464027305&sr=8-1&keywords=5.1+computer+speakers

We may want to see what others think since I don't fool around with this stuff too much myself, but I don't see any optical/Toslink inputs for those speakers in the link above, so wanted to make sure everyone agrees it's really a good idea.

If you want to get 5.1 output from the notebook, you're going to need to use the optical digital output as far as I know and just wanted to make sure you're aware of this or discuss more with others who know more about it first.

Slick8791
05-24-2016, 12:25 PM
We may want to see what others think since I don't fool around with this stuff too much myself, but I don't see any optical/Toslink inputs for those speakers in the link above, so wanted to make sure everyone agrees it's really a good idea.

If you want to get 5.1 output from the notebook, you're going to need to use the optical digital output as far as I know and just wanted to make sure you're aware of this or discuss more with others who know more about it first.

That's what I was assuming would be the case. That set of speakers I linked would in essence send two front, two rear, and center speaker output (not S/PDIF).

Another question, what is the output for most games these days? Do they send 5.1 signal via S/PDIF, or is it mostly a 2.1 signal with simulated surround sound?

kidfromhell
05-24-2016, 12:36 PM
I did try and switch the default settings over to the Realtek Digital output and I was able to get very faint test sounds out of the left and right speakers (using the toslink cable and converter box). But, thatís about as far as I was able to get with it.

I think Iíll do a hasty retreat from this little project. I spent close to $50 on the cables and converter box. I figured I can return those for a refund and put a little bit more cash into it and get a new set of speakers that will work with the three mini plugs on the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464027305&sr=8-1&keywords=5.1+computer+speakers

Work smarter, not harderÖ :cool:

I sincerely apologize for the cable that I recommended ended up not working. In order to make it up to you, I give you this. Hope you can find one. Cheers!

http://slickdeals.net/f/8769115-logitech-z506-computer-speaker-system-black-23-98-target-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

cdma2k
05-24-2016, 02:27 PM
I sincerely apologize for the cable that I recommended ended up not working. In order to make it up to you, I give you this. Hope you can find one. Cheers!

http://slickdeals.net/f/8769115-logitech-z506-computer-speaker-system-black-23-98-target-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

there is nothing wrong with your recommendation.

cdma2k
05-24-2016, 02:27 PM

yes!