PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading existing 4710 CPU to newer one

TurkROG
05-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Helloo ....

Is there any way or any solution to upgrade CPU 4710 to newer one 6000 series ?

TurkROG
05-07-2016, 02:26 PM
for G751JY

nemerdekel
05-07-2016, 02:47 PM
The CPU is soldered to the motherboard, so probably no.

fidelity101
05-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Asus has been upgrading the CPU when doing their "Gsync" upgrade...so it's possible.

I'd really like an ASUS solution that provides an "upgrade" to my G751JY laptop to include a new CPU and a new GPU when they become available...much cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Also, I've read a lot of forums/threads in which people talk about selling their laptops and buying a new system as a better option. Are there any actual forums where people sell their used computer gear for reasonable prices? I've seen a lot of talk on sites like pcpartspicker and others...but nothing with actual numbers and actual items for sale.

nemerdekel
05-07-2016, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=fidelity101;590332]Asus has been upgrading the CPU when doing their "Gsync" upgrade...so it's possible.

I'm not sure they upgraded them to 6000 series, as far as I know they even downgraded some from the 4720hq to 4750hq, which is a lower clock version

toronto699
05-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Asus replaced the motherborads for the G-Sync upgrade , except in one country where they added a G-Sync Module to the original board and the reason for a processor downgrade there are no motherboards available with the origanl clock version processor therefore the down grade, now asus will give u the original clock version or a higher clock version if u r willing to wait months for the G-Sync upgrade. They did not replace the processor on the original board.

nemerdekel
05-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Asus replaced the motherborads for the G-Sync upgrade , except in one country where they added a G-Sync Module to the original board and the reason for a processor downgrade there are no motherboards available with the origanl clock version processor therefore the down grade, now asus will give u the original clock version or a higher clock version if u r willing to wait months for the G-Sync upgrade. They did not replace the processor on the original board.

Yes, but they won't upgrade it to 6000 series.

fidelity101
05-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the information...good to know. If they're replacing motherboards and processors for that Gsync upgrade, why on earth would they not offer an upgrade program in general? Upgrade the system with a new CPU and GPU for $1000....seems like a win win for everyone???

kidfromhell
05-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the information...good to know. If they're replacing motherboards and processors for that Gsync upgrade, why on earth would they not offer an upgrade program in general? Upgrade the system with a new CPU and GPU for $1000....seems like a win win for everyone???

If they're willing to do that upgrade, they have to make sure that the temps are under control with the new chips inside them. They have to do stress testing to make sure that the current heatsinks and fans can handle the excess heat that'll be produced by the new chips. If it doesn't they have to change them or re-design them completely. Sometimes re-design may not be entirely possible due to the space limitations.

Which, can end up in the customer paying more for the upgrade. In the end, you can pay a little bit extra to get yourself a new system. If people started upgrading, they won't have to release new models every year. They'll get hurt pretty bad.

JustinThyme
05-07-2016, 07:34 PM

They do, its called buy a new laptop.

The Gsysnc upgrade was the first offering of its kind from any manufacturer and with the way it went over from the cry babies to parts shortages and third party repair shops botching things my bet is it will be the last time too. If I worked for ASUS running that project it would have been yanked faster than it was conceived just from all the whining going on. First crying about how they didn't have it, then it was announced that it was coming and the crying went to its not coming fast enough, then crying about they contacted their local center and was told its not going to happen when all the while they were told it had not been communicated down the pipeline yet. Go read the petition thread and the announcement thread for yourself. Enough tears to fill the amazon river.

Regardless the CPUs are soldered in. They are not upgrading the CPUs for the Gsync, just replacing the mother board with a turn around board. Some that are later in the process are most likely getting a board from one of the early participants that has been reworked.
Even if they did have it socketed you cant upgrade from Haswell to Skylake. This has been true for every single CPU ever produced. You can stay within the same generation but thats as far as it goes. The chipset and entire architecture changes.

fidelity101
05-07-2016, 10:33 PM
All good points.

I still want to know where people sell their older gear. I paid $2500 for my G751JY, added more memory and a third hard drive...now I'd be lucky to get $1500 for it IF I could even find a buyer. I'm a big fan of RC cars, boats, helicopters, airplanes and there are multiple websites available to buy/sell used gear with lots of helpful information to boot. When it comes to laptops and gaming desktops, I've yet to find something as helpful in the buying/selling department. PCpartspicker is as close as I've found so far and it's a bunch of people giving "estimated pricing" on what somethings worth which is about as helpful as reading all the Gsync complaint threads. :)

JustinThyme
05-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately the tech market for used laptops is pretty much non existent. There are a few enthusiast forums out there where desktop gear is circulated a bit but not so much for laptops. You can find it on searches as its only available to members and most such forums have Phpbb permissions set to where you cant even see the FS/FT areas until you have been there for like 90 days and have a post count of 10 or something. Keeps the riff raff and spammers out. When you think about it why do you want to sell? To get something newer right? Well pretty much everyone in the market for a laptop has the same Idea. What something is worth is precisely what someone will pay for it.

What are you into with RC?
Ive been building cars for several years. Have two 1/10 scale, two 1/8 scale and one 1/5 scale. Everyone of them custom built, mostly on traxxas platforms. My favorite is a 1/8 scale built on the EREVO ideology with a LCG chassis that will top 100MPH. Nothing on it made by Traxxas though.

Cheetah
05-08-2016, 03:47 AM
My G751 JT laptop is still pretty good. No real need to upgrade the CPU but I still would like to know if I can do it.
Im willing to buy a new MB from Asus with a better 4000 series cpu and install the MB myself. Not difficult at all to do it.

I cant see a reason why Asus will not or can not sell me a replacement MB.
It will be nice to get a G751 JY MB to upgrade my G970 GPU to a G980 GPU.

JustinThyme
05-08-2016, 01:43 PM
My G751 JT laptop is still pretty good. No real need to upgrade the CPU but I still would like to know if I can do it.
Im willing to buy a new MB from Asus with a better 4000 series cpu and install the MB myself. Not difficult at all to do it.

I cant see a reason why Asus will not or can not sell me a replacement MB.
It will be nice to get a G751 JY MB to upgrade my G970 GPU to a G980 GPU.

Nothing says you cant swap out the entire motherboard, that's not the topic of dicusion. Thats virtually the only difference between a JT and a JY, that and the heatsinks/pipe assembly which will be even harder to find. The mother boards usually pop up on flea bay here and there for around $600 USD but never from a solid source, nothing I would trust.

MrRuckus
05-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Yeah a lot of Asus laptops have the videocard/processor soldered to the board. There are some that are not, but not too many. The space constraints in laptops make upgrading larger power hungry components like the CPU/GPU hard to do. Power requirements from one generation to the next often change the power regulators or chokes are different. Since you're dealing with a static platform on a laptop and cant change any of that, it makes sense to go the cheaper route and just solder the components on the board. Your best bet is to either run it into the ground and use it as long as you can, or sell it. Electronics are definitely not a money investment. But these can be sold on craigslist or anywhere else fairly easily. I have sold my last couple of Rog laptops to either family members or friends. I think both times I got a little less then half of what I paid after a couple of years of use. Although I also keep the laptop in the cloth case it comes in, in my laptop bag, so the laptops aesthetically looks basically brand new.