PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Monitor for G751JT

Miguel552
05-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, like the title says, I'm looking for a secondary monitor for my G751JT, now, I've been trying to do my research on what this laptop can handle, it has the GTX 970m.
On nVidia's site they say it can handle 4k and G-Sync. But the question is what kind of fps and refresh rate can it handle at 4k? or is it better to go with a 144hz 1440p monitor?

If anyone has any insights as to what's a good monitor for this laptop please let me know. All replies and tips are appreciated!

Thanks in advanced.

Dreamonic
05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
To put it in perspective, my 980M can just play most games (quality settings maxed) at 1440p and get 50-80 FPS (game engine dependent). This would mean you'd be running most settings on medium/high rather than maxed out with your 970M at 1440p, but then we get into the meat of the question here..

So what is the primary use of your new panel with increased resolution... just to have more desktop real estate use on top of gaming too or is it solely for gaming? Because if you choose to go 4K, you'll barely run anything at that native resolution in most games (with game settings likely on low/medium - avg 30fps) means downscaling (no longer sharp looking) to lower resolutions (which looks horrible under native res) just to get higher average FPS with some eye candy on. Is that worth it for you?

In your boat, if it's just for gaming but you also want an upgrade in resolution for the money too, then I'd go with a 1440p panel (anything higher than 60Hz will suffice) over anything 4K (reasons stated above). What about G-SYNC? Since FPS won't likely be above the panels 100/120/144Hz (whichever you decide to go with) then having G-SYNC would help (no stuttering/frame skipping) when frames are lower than that. Is it an absolute game changer though/must have? No. Save your money and go without it.

IMHO, a 144Hz 1080p monitor is really all you'd need if you don't mind keeping the same resolution you already have in your notebook. Then you can run with most eye candy on in games at native resolution at decent fps and have a better gaming experience. This also leaves the question, what about for future upgrades? Say you buy another notebook with a faster GPU and want to run higher native resolution now in games. Would you want to be slightly ahead/future proof with a 4K, 1440p panel (right now) or is 1080p honestly good enough for everything else? You'll have to come to that conclusion yourself.

Miguel552
05-15-2016, 11:05 PM
To put it in perspective, my 980M can just play most games (quality settings maxed) at 1440p and get 50-80 FPS (game engine dependent). This would mean you'd be running most settings on medium/high rather than maxed out with your 970M at 1440p, but then we get into the meat of the question here..

So what is the primary use of your new panel with increased resolution... just to have more desktop real estate use on top of gaming too or is it solely for gaming? Because if you choose to go 4K, you'll barely run anything at that native resolution in most games (with game settings likely on low/medium - avg 30fps) means downscaling (no longer sharp looking) to lower resolutions (which looks horrible under native res) just to get higher average FPS with some eye candy on. Is that worth it for you?

In your boat, if it's just for gaming but you also want an upgrade in resolution for the money too, then I'd go with a 1440p panel (anything higher than 60Hz will suffice) over anything 4K (reasons stated above). What about G-SYNC? Since FPS won't likely be above the panels 100/120/144Hz (whichever you decide to go with) then having G-SYNC would help (no stuttering/frame skipping) when frames are lower than that. Is it an absolute game changer though/must have? No. Save your money and go without it.

IMHO, a 144Hz 1080p monitor is really all you'd need if you don't mind keeping the same resolution you already have in your notebook. Then you can run with most eye candy on in games at native resolution at decent fps and have a better gaming experience. This also leaves the question, what about for future upgrades? Say you buy another notebook with a faster GPU and want to run higher native resolution now in games. Would you want to be slightly ahead/future proof with a 4K, 1440p panel (right now) or is 1080p honestly good enough for everything else? You'll have to come to that conclusion yourself.

----

First of all, thank you for your answer, my main use is gaming but I want to get into video editing, that's my main concern on it, is 1080p screen enough to edit videos or do I need anything more? I know for gaming I'm good with 1080p, I rather have all settings maxed at 1080p at 144Hz than running medium settings on 1440p. I have no plans on upgrading this computer soon. I just need the extra monitor for work right now and to use it as a main gaming screen. Which 1080p 144Hz would you recommend? I would like to get something like 25"+. And would something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q be worth it? or should I just get the extra couple hundreds and get the 34" one? Thank you for your advice.

Dreamonic
05-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Yeah, 1080p IS enough but eventually you'll want more screen real estate as projects evolve. I purchased the PB278Q a couple months after release to see how it compared. I use it mostly for web work and haven't looked back since. That was 3 years ago now and it's solid still. Anyway, as I've made mention of and you've confirmed for me, the notebook you're currently using (G751JT) won't be upgraded for a while. It would then make more sense to go with a 1440p panel, specifically the PG279Q (if we're talking brand specific) as you've mentioned as well. That purchase would appease both intentions of use. Definitely.

EDIT: I prefer ASUS products over anything else (biased) even if they are more expensive, not as optioned out as their competitors and sometimes less bang for buck with other brand name models side-by-side comparison reviews. Despite all that, in the end, there's still a choice to make as to what's more important. Making your dollar go further or simply getting what you want!

Miguel552
05-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Yeah, 1080p IS enough but eventually you'll want more screen real estate as projects evolve. I purchased the PB278Q a couple months after release to see how it compared. I use it mostly for web work and haven't looked back since. That was 3 years ago now and it's solid still. Anyway, as I've made mention of and you've confirmed for me, the notebook you're currently using (G751JT) won't be upgraded for a while. It would then make more sense to go with a 1440p panel, specifically the PG279Q (if we're talking brand specific) as you've mentioned as well. That purchase would appease both intentions of use. Definitely.

EDIT: I prefer ASUS products over anything else (biased) even if they are more expensive, not as optioned out as their competitors and sometimes less bang for buck with other brand name models side-by-side comparison reviews. Despite all that, in the end, there's still a choice to make as to what's more important. Making your dollar go further or simply getting what you want!

Is the PB278Q 144Hz? Or what's the refresh rate on that? And does it have G-Sync? Or should I try and go for something like the PG279Q? Although for a price of a PG279Q I could get 2 PB278Q. What would you recommend? I really want that high refresh rate :P

Dreamonic
05-17-2016, 01:54 AM
The PB278Q is a PLS (similar viewing angles as IPS) 60Hz panel and has no G-SYNC support. It's great for what I wanted it for at the time (still is), which is web work. It's not really ideal for FPS gaming (does the job but that's about it). The PG278Q is another option you may want to consider, although that's a TN panel at 144Hz and around $100 and some change cheaper than the PG279Q (depending where you look). So between those two, either one would suffice. Whichever you can get easier and cheaper, locally or online.

Have you tried increasing your notebook panel to 100Hz yet? I know some of the G-SYNC models that are at 75Hz already can do 100Hz no problem, if you don't mind gaming on your notebook display still. Then you could go and buy a PB278Q for yourself and save the money going with a PG279Q. There are many options available...

Miguel552
05-17-2016, 02:11 AM
The PB278Q is a PLS (similar viewing angles as IPS) 60Hz panel and has no G-SYNC support. It's great for what I wanted it for at the time (still is), which is web work. It's not really ideal for FPS gaming (does the job but that's about it). The PG278Q is another option you may want to consider, although that's a TN panel at 144Hz and around $100 and some change cheaper than the PG279Q (depending where you look). So between those two, either one would suffice. Whichever you can get easier and cheaper, locally or online.

Have you tried increasing your notebook panel to 100Hz yet? I know some of the G-SYNC models that are at 75Hz already can do 100Hz no problem, if you don't mind gaming on your notebook display still. Then you could go and buy a PB278Q for yourself and save the money going with a PG279Q. There are many options available...

Well, I've never really owned a 100Hz+ monitor so right now I really don't mind gaming on that monitor, just thought I should go for a big one that can last me 7+ years instead of buying a lower one right now and then having to buy another later for gaming, but I guess it all depends on my needs and budget at the moment. And I looked into upgrading this to the G-Sync screen with Asus for the $100 but I was reading in the thread and almost all of them have their processors changed and they have thermal problems and stuff, so I'm not sure if it's worth all that hassle.

Dreamonic
05-17-2016, 03:20 AM
That's cause the G-SYNC upgrade is literally a MB replacement. In most instances, it's with refurbished boards going back in as the replacement (because of the turn around time). So, since the CPU/GPU is of BGA connection, they go with the MB too. When you get another board, the CPU and GPU most likely aren't running at the same voltages as your last ones did (check everything like that before you send it) due to the nature of the binning process (passable within A to B). It could be the higher end of the voltage range than lower. Also, as people report different temps, it's probably due to when the board was replaced. The heatsink assembly for the CPU and GPU would have to be removed, which means (depends on the service centre) someone would be applying thermal paste again. As I've read on these forums over the years, it hasn't been good (sometimes they don't even apply any at all) but take that for what you want. People complained about not having G-SYNC, so they addressed it with an upgrade option and because of 'how things are run' you can't make everyone happy! Something to think about.

Anyway, I understand the hassle there. If you plan on keeping it that long, then I see why you want to make sure you get the right one. Exactly. You'll figure it out!

Miguel552
05-18-2016, 12:44 PM
That's cause the G-SYNC upgrade is literally a MB replacement. In most instances, it's with refurbished boards going back in as the replacement (because of the turn around time). So, since the CPU/GPU is of BGA connection, they go with the MB too. When you get another board, the CPU and GPU most likely aren't running at the same voltages as your last ones did (check everything like that before you send it) due to the nature of the binning process (passable within A to B). It could be the higher end of the voltage range than lower. Also, as people report different temps, it's probably due to when the board was replaced. The heatsink assembly for the CPU and GPU would have to be removed, which means (depends on the service centre) someone would be applying thermal paste again. As I've read on these forums over the years, it hasn't been good (sometimes they don't even apply any at all) but take that for what you want. People complained about not having G-SYNC, so they addressed it with an upgrade option and because of 'how things are run' you can't make everyone happy! Something to think about.

Anyway, I understand the hassle there. If you plan on keeping it that long, then I see why you want to make sure you get the right one. Exactly. You'll figure it out!

Thank you for all your help, hopefully I can decide now!