PDA

View Full Version : G752 Recovery software ???

Anthony566
05-16-2016, 11:25 PM
I have seen lots of posts about how people clone there hard drives when they get a new laptop etc and im not sure what i need to buy for this as i always thought you had to clone from one drive to another but i suspect i am wrong about this .....

My question is does my new G752 have any software installed that will create a recovery version onto cds ? Or should i be doing this onto a usb drive ??

Aany advice on the correct way to go with this is appreciated.

JustinThyme
05-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Speaking only of the factory image whether original or cloned.
There is a recovery partition that can be accessed from within windows by going to setting>Update& security>recovery>reset this PC. That gives you the option to either reset to factory state and completely wipe the drive or factory state and keep your files.
You can also used windows backup or any other back up software. I do incremental back ups with Acronis true image.

You are not wrong about cloning one drive to another. Dont know what to recommned as you havent told us what you have. G752 covers a lot of ground! :cool:

Anthony566
05-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi sorry for the lack of system detail ....

My model version is G752VY-T7049T and the spec is

- Processor: Intel Core i7 (6th Gen) 6820HK (2.70-3.60GHz)
- Memory: 32GB DDR4
- Storage: 512 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8GB GDDR5

JustinThyme
05-18-2016, 01:42 AM
If Im not mistaken pretty much all the G752VY machines that came with 512GB SSDs are in all reality two 512GB Samsung SM 951 NVMe drives.

CDs are pretty much a thing of the past because optical drives are horribly slow compared to any other method.
If you simply wish to back up you can use windows back up or your choice of back up software and back it up to USB or a network drive. Pretty much all programs offer a choice of where you want the back up to go to.
Exactly how far you want to take it is your choice.
If you are looking to simply just do back ups I recommend Acronis True image because it does incremental back ups meaning only the first full back up is a large file and all the subsequent back ups are simply backing up what has changed and you can recover from any point in time from the first or any of the incremental points. The catch to this is none of these back up your recovery partition where you can reset to factory state.

Me I go quite deep with it.
First thing I did right out of the box was to clone the original 256GB SSD to a 512GB Samsung 950 pro then put the original drive away for safe keeping and the oh Crap scenario. Once that was done and I loaded up all my software I made an image of the 512GB 950 pro to a NAS including the recovery partition.
Ive since installed a second 512GB 950 pro so I have 2 of them in RAID0 and I have Acronis doing an incremental back up monthly to my NAS.
So I have a lot of options to recover. First line of defense is a recovery from the Acronis back up. Second is the image on the NAS I made after all my programs were installed. Third is a reset from the recovery partition that is on the RAID array and 4th is to put the original drive back in and clone it again. Yes its a lot of redundancy but Im covered for about any possible scenario and combination of drive failures.

Anthony566
05-18-2016, 10:56 AM
If Im not mistaken pretty much all the G752VY machines that came with 512GB SSDs are in all reality two 512GB Samsung SM 951 NVMe drives.

CDs are pretty much a thing of the past because optical drives are horribly slow compared to any other method.
If you simply wish to back up you can use windows back up or your choice of back up software and back it up to USB or a network drive. Pretty much all programs offer a choice of where you want the back up to go to.
Exactly how far you want to take it is your choice.
If you are looking to simply just do back ups I recommend Acronis True image because it does incremental back ups meaning only the first full back up is a large file and all the subsequent back ups are simply backing up what has changed and you can recover from any point in time from the first or any of the incremental points. The catch to this is none of these back up your recovery partition where you can reset to factory state.

Me I go quite deep with it.
First thing I did right out of the box was to clone the original 256GB SSD to a 512GB Samsung 950 pro then put the original drive away for safe keeping and the oh Crap scenario. Once that was done and I loaded up all my software I made an image of the 512GB 950 pro to a NAS including the recovery partition.
Ive since installed a second 512GB 950 pro so I have 2 of them in RAID0 and I have Acronis doing an incremental back up monthly to my NAS.
So I have a lot of options to recover. First line of defense is a recovery from the Acronis back up. Second is the image on the NAS I made after all my programs were installed. Third is a reset from the recovery partition that is on the RAID array and 4th is to put the original drive back in and clone it again. Yes its a lot of redundancy but Im covered for about any possible scenario and combination of drive failures.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at what drives I have tonight ......

I also have a NAS so that's handy to know I can use that as a backup location. looking at what you are doing I suppose the first thing im trying to do is back up the factory installation so if my drive fails and I replace it I have the image I need to do this as I would not send my laptop away to have this done.

Anthony

Anthony566
05-19-2016, 09:41 AM

I had a look at my SSD last night and it is a single Samsung SM951.

The only thing I am not sure about with this laptop is the boot time to the ROG logo it takes 15 to 20 seconds to get to this point and less then 5 secods from there to load windows. why does it have this initial pause ??

I found this thread

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81854-ASUS-G752VY-Slow-start-Problem/page3&highlight=Search...g752vy+slow+boot

I will take a look at my Bios version tonight as I do like to keep it upto date as I find bios updats do tend to improve things ....

However I do accept that its not that slow really but it is slower than my desktop pc that has a Samsung SSD installed.

Everything else about this laptop I love ... the look the style and layout .... and the fact that it is almost silent most of the time is amazing really.

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 02:34 AM
Every BIOS prior to 213 was slower. Im surprised you got a single 512GB M2, most that went with the 512GB option got 2x256 and were not at all happy.
If you update the BIOS to 213 it will be up in about 10 seconds to log in.

Anthony566
05-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Every BIOS prior to 213 was slower. Im surprised you got a single 512GB M2, most that went with the 512GB option got 2x256 and were not at all happy.
If you update the BIOS to 213 it will be up in about 10 seconds to log in.

I checked my Bios last night and I have 208 so will look to update to the latest version.