PDA

View Full Version : G751JT battery only charges to 82%

Chris345
05-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Yes I am having an unusual problem with my battery suddenly began chrging to a max of 82% with a message saying 23 min to 100% charge. Strange indeed.
ASUS tech said to uninstall Battery comp in Device manager and reboot into BIOS and reset that to defaults. You guessed it that procedure did not fix.

I have been trying to get battery down to 5% to try to calibrate it according to directions on several sites but computer always shuts down at 14% .
Yes I have 5% set in critical shutdown in power setting. I use my computer 90% of the time plugged in and always try to unplug it at night when shut down.

This seems very unusual to me and never owned a laptop that this has happened to so early....Cripes its only 1 year 1 month old.
So I'm trying to figure out if its a battery problem or software.

Just my luck that the first laptop I own with a crap battery (maybe) is a laptop where battery
can only be replaced by disassembly. Who dreamed this up?

Anyone else experience this with G751JT .

warryabel
05-19-2016, 05:13 AM
more and more...welcome to club
i say its planned but no one say,hey this guy is right.
my battery has the same problem and asus say hey sorry only one year warranty for this batterymodell.
the (not)funny thing is it happends exact 3 days after the first year is over.
this is my experience...

Mousepad
05-20-2016, 03:23 PM
I'll add another Welcome to the Club! I have the G751JT with this same issue although mine goes to 87% and sometimes max 89% is what I've seen. You are also correct that on battery, random shutdowns can happen at amounts higher than 5% and it's always random. Have you had the blinking orange led yet? I try to avoid this blinking led by not keeping it plugged for too long when it has maxed out. I also unplug it when it is shutdown or else when I come to it next the blinking orange led is there and it has no idea how much battery it has. There are other threads for this issue where it has been mostly figured out that it is a shorted cell with the battery. I will however add that Asus said to RMA in case it is a motherboard issue. I do not have the time to RMA and I am out of warranty anyway and others have gotten their battery changed by Asus and been fine.

So to recap unless we change the battery ourselves by opening up the laptop, we have to pay Asus more money as most of us are out of warranty.

Chris345
05-22-2016, 01:42 PM
No I haven't noticed the blinking orange battery light but I'll look for it.
Meant to say also that the nice little Battery 20% then 10% low warning message is no longer showing also.
Thanks for tip on other thread and shorted battery cell issue. I will phone ASUS in Toronto and speak with someone there.
I'm just 30 days past warranty ...maybe they'll give me a break.

KrisVr
05-29-2016, 02:51 PM
I also have this problem with my G751JY. 1 year and a month or two old!

Gets stuck on 94%, sometimes 89% and led is blinking! It's annoying to see it blinking but I don't use laptop with just battery much, so can I just ignore it, is it safe or do I need a new battery?

Cheetah
05-29-2016, 07:07 PM
My G752JT indicate sometimes 95% with the green led on.
The battery is not continiously changing....which is bad for a laptop battery.
I did notice the battery do charge to 100% and then dischange too about 95%.
I mostly keep my G751 plugged in.
Nothing to worry about.....yet.

Chris345
06-26-2016, 05:08 PM
So I finally complained to ASUS, loudly, about this battery issue. I was about a month past warranty but they agreed to fix it under warranty and gave me a RMA number.
I took it to ASUS Toronto (Markham really)(it was a 3 hr drive but I wanted to get it back asap.) That was last Tues. I also asked them to repair bottom left USB cutting out issue and to reseat CPU heat sink.
I also asked them to expedite repair.
To my great and wonderful surprise I was notified Thurs (2 days) that computer was repaired and they were shipping it back that day and it arrived Friday afternoon by courier.
Battery is charging to 100% and computer continues to run to 7% where I get a low battery warning...All things are fixed and running great...so far...keeping fingers crossed.
All in All I am very pleased with service and speed of this experience.
Kudos to ASUS Markhan , Toronto.
Over and Out.

BTW I asked them to do G-Sync upgrade but they said they had no parts to do it and didn't know when they would get them....RATS>>>

Rares95
06-26-2016, 06:14 PM
You guys are wearing out your batteries by letting them discharge / charge cycling...

Chris345
06-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Explain yourself Rares95?

JustinThyme
06-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Every charge/discharge cycle depletes the lifespan of the battery. That's just the way battery chemistry works and is fact. Eventually you wont have the capacity but that should not have an effect on charging to 100% of that diminished capacity and will eventually cause failure.
When you start seeing the charge cycle not ending or charging to 85% or there about its nearly 100% of the time a bad cell in the pack and time to replace it.

If you run your laptop on battery regularly you can expect to be replacing the battery regularly. These machines are not really meant to be run on battery all the time due to the power consumption and certainly cant support intense applications on battery. If one wishes to have a machine that has good battery run time and life span they should look elsewhere to a machine that uses the CPU graphics and is meant to do nothing more than simple processes and watch videos.

Mousepad
06-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Meh I have mainly kept mine plugged in and rarely need to use the battery and I still have this problem...

BTW if you don't want the orange blinking led to happen just unplug the adapter when the computer is off and the blinking led won't occur! Not sure why this is but it works.

xeromist
06-30-2016, 04:55 PM
For what it's worth, laptop batteries can be rebuilt if you are comfortable with a soldering iron. Best case, a cell or bank of cells fell below an arbitrary voltage floor and the battery disabled it. Balance charge all of the cells in the battery separately and they start working again. Potentially, you have truly dead cells and they can be replaced by cheap 18650 cells from ebay. Worst case there is something irreparably wrong with the battery circuitry but this is unlikely since it still mostly works.

However this procedure is not for newbies. If you don't know what you're doing you could end up destroying your battery entirely.