PDA

View Full Version : G751 sata odd, warranty won't cover repairs?

Rares95
05-19-2016, 11:47 AM
I have had an hdd in my odd bay for 1+ years. It worked flawlessly. Recently i have had the misfortune of the ODD sata to get fried. Now the repair guys won't repair it because they said that me replacing the odd with a HDD caddy voided my warranty. Help?

Rares95
05-19-2016, 04:22 PM
He claims that only an authorized service center can swap the ODD with a HDD caddy which is NONSENSE. And that's why they voided my warranty... he said "any modification can only be done in an authorized service". What's the point of having the service bay even, then?

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 02:48 AM
First is your machine under warranty?
If so ignore what any local repair shop says and contact ASUS directly.

Rares95
05-20-2016, 03:54 AM
Yes it has, until December. Also it seems shady to me, they told me if i don't pay they will remove the warranty... And they ask for 128 eur+vat for it, which is a lot for the value of a sata 2 in my opinion

Rares95
05-20-2016, 11:47 AM
I called the service center in Romania and they told me that replacing the ODD with a Caddy will void warranty!? I don't understand, everywhere on the forums, including the guide from Marshal says that it will not void the warranty...anyone can help me? :(

Clintlgm
05-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I would PM BAHZ he may be able to help out.

Rares95
05-20-2016, 04:02 PM
I would PM BAHZ he may be able to help out.

I did, hopefully he can. He is my last hope :D. If it doesn't get repaired I would probably get another brand after pascal launches for mobile..... :(
I kind of understand the idea that in most cases you can't swap out the ODD bay without dismantling the whole laptop, but in this case it is possible to do it in minutes.

Rares95
05-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Oh and also, the guys that do the Gsync upgrades (which is the same service that refuses to repair my SATA connector), ask for a whopping 160eur + VAT which is INSANE.

Clintlgm
05-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Hmm, if you broke your SATA connector on the motherboard you may have an issue getting that on warranty and it could easily be consider operator error self inflicted damages which would not be a manufacture defect under warranty.

Rares95
05-21-2016, 05:46 AM
I didn't break it, it decided it worked long enough and fried itself. The sata connector itself is intact
This is what the guys at the service sent me

I didn't make any changes to anything on the laptop before this happened, when i first saw the smoke i thought it was from the battery, which almost gave me a heart attack...

Rares95
05-23-2016, 06:36 AM
No asus rep on this site seems like they want to help me with this... Seems like i will have to suck it up and pay. Nevertheless , i will stop buying asus because of this

Rares95
05-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Sent an email to them asking to return it without repairing it.
1) I am not giving them 128 euros +VAT (~160 euros) for a damn Sata II port.
2) I only accessed it using the service bay, the connector itself is intact btw, some chip got fried or something, but not the connector itself. It should've been repaired by warranty.
3) The people at ASUS Romania are plain morons. They said that this forum was not official but 100% third party, that me taking out the screw in the service bay to swap the ODD with a caddy voided my warranty and that the adhesive they use in screws turns blue if you unscrew it. All BS.
4) The guys at the service told me that if i pay the fee, they will "reseal" it and warranty wouldn't be voided, which is the most shady thing I've ever heard. Like, how would you "reaseal" it anyway? There aren't any seals...
5) Rest assured I won't buy an ASUS product while I'm in Romania, and will advise friends that ask me for advice for a new laptop to stay away.

That's all i had to say regarding this nonsense. I hope ASUS will fire everyone at ASUS Romania, as they are highly incompetent.

Rares95
05-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Also contacted Bahz, he tried/tries to help, but knowing that the people at ASUS Romania are morons, I already know nothing will happen. I was supposed to be contacted by them for over a week, still nothing. 100% incompetent, they think they are their own boss, i would fire them asap but w/e

P.S. They also ask 160 euros + VAT => 200 euros for the Gsync update. That is simply insane from the original advertised price of ~$99. That's $222!!!!

Rares95
05-31-2016, 01:21 PM
The last post on the first page i show an image of the fried chip the guys at the service took a photo of. Can someone tell me what's called? Or a serial number or anything?

JustinThyme
05-31-2016, 04:43 PM
As much as I hate to say it I would have to concur with what you have already been told. The machine has been changed from its factory configuration. There is no proof that this would have happened with the original optical drive in there or that the Caddy or HDD you put in its place did not cause the damage. Had it been left as is you would have a valid gripe. This would equate to me replacing the transmission in a car with something I saw as better then going back to the manufacturer because the engine blew up. I cant speak for all but I can speak for the company I represent. Any changes made to any machine we manufacture not done by authorized personnel voids the warranty. Ive had people screaming at me so hard they spit in my face from it but the story ended the same. They took it upon themselves to alter a $500K machine and were now responsible to pay to have it repaired. I've seen several that were total losses. All the screaming, name calling, jumping up and down in the world wont change that. This is spelled out quite boldly in the very first line item of warranty exclusions of your ASUS warranty.

Section 6 (a) (http://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/f8bfa0e1-2812-4a47-bb69-04bb30b0be70.pdf)

Rares95
05-31-2016, 04:58 PM
It's ok, they only found out that i changed the ODD with a caddy because 1) i told them so, 2) i didn't bother to screw the ODD in. Have i not did those 2 things, they would have NEVER had a base to deny the warranty. I told them the truth because i've read MULTIPLE times on these forums that i am allowed to do it. But it's ok, you learn from mistakes, and in my case, the next time something breaks i will act clueless, when i know what the general issue is ( got screwed once with this with some headphones). Pointing out the issue will cause you to lose the warranty (at least that what happened to me 2 times).
If the sata chip thing that got fried would've done so soon after i've swapped the ODD, sure. But i've had it for most of the laptop's life, without issues( except it caused the HDD to click when explicitly restarting the laptop).
What this mishap has taught me: Never tell everything you know, act dumb and Never trust what people write on this forum.

JustinThyme
06-01-2016, 03:39 AM
So you are saying what you have learned is to be dishonest?
Firstly I don't get the bother with the SATA II drive caddy when USB 3.0 drives are faster 3Gbps vs 5Gbps. To each his own though I guess. I have 2TB internal and have not come anywhere close to filling it.

Memory that is within the user service bay and HDDs in the HDD slots are user upgradeable. Anything else is authorized service center only.

If I was the tech I would have known that you plugged something else in the ODD bay. A simple test of the optical drive would have revealed that.

Good luck with your next manufacturer choice. I think you will find they will have the same warranty restrictions though.

I believe in Karma.

Rares95
06-01-2016, 11:35 AM
I didn't learn to be dishonest. I learned to just don't give all the details.
Also i said that i won't buy ASUS while i am in my current country (which won't be for long) but still...
I also believe in Karma so yeah.