PDA

View Full Version : G752VY BIOS updates taken off ASUS Canada support site

DVSSi
05-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone. I just got my G752VY about a month ago (Alienware LCD failure caused me to switch although this is an issue on another forum which is possibly caused by Nvidia and windows 10 drivers). I have been reading this forum for the past month and decided to post something I found strange. As the title reads, the BIOS updates 212 and 213 (all for that matter) have been taken off the support page. Is there a reason for this? I know BIOS 212 was messing with UEFI boot not being enabled after the flash of that particular version. Thanks for any input and Hello to everyone.

toronto699
05-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Bios updates still there from what I see
http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=833&m=G752VY&os=&hashedid=6S3ctFvXVIePKB4o

DVSSi
05-20-2016, 01:30 AM
Not on the ASUS Canada site.
http://www.asus.com/US/Notebooks/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks for the alternative site though.

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Not on the ASUS Canada site.
http://www.asus.com/US/Notebooks/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks for the alternative site though.

They are still there. Select other from the OS drop down. for some unknown reason they keep monkeying with the location.
One thing I did note a few weeks was all but 212 and 213 have disappeared.

DVSSi
05-20-2016, 02:03 AM
Ah Great. Thanks for the help. I was worried they took them down because they found a fatal flaw in one or both and were trying to mitigate the damage. Phew!

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 02:20 AM
LOL, no damage.
For a few months now who ever is in charge of their web servers (including this one) has been fiddling. I dont mind the new layout here but I have to log in then close the window and relaunch it to get to my correct account. Otherwise it wants to assign me my ASUS VIP account as a user name here.

DVSSi
05-20-2016, 02:51 AM
I agree and like the layout on this forum. Seems strange you have to close and open to get your right account. I get worried now with updating a notebook since my Alienware died after being only 2 years old. either Nvidia or Microsoft released a driver that gave access to the LCD EPROM and forced it to refresh at a much higher rate then it could handle (anything over 60Hz) and what set this off was plugging in my HDMI cable. There's more to the story but that's the "low down". Besides it worked out for the best having got the G752 other then the poor audio from the speakers and the audio jack area heating up considerably I am very happy with this product.

Gustave
05-20-2016, 06:01 AM
Hello everyone. I just got my G752VY about a month ago (Alienware LCD failure caused me to switch although this is an issue on another forum which is possibly caused by Nvidia and windows 10 drivers). I have been reading this forum for the past month and decided to post something I found strange. As the title reads, the BIOS updates 212 and 213 (all for that matter) have been taken off the support page. Is there a reason for this? I know BIOS 212 was messing with UEFI boot not being enabled after the flash of that particular version. Thanks for any input and Hello to everyone.

Also gone on US and Global site. And the Dutch site plays havoc as well. Probably a maintenance thing. Or......... they're getting things ready for a new BIOS because not all is straightened out yet in the VY. Like Justin said, they (212, 213) are still there under the heading 'Other'.

DVSSi
05-20-2016, 11:14 PM
I definitely see they need to iron out a few things with the G752VY. I hope they don't drag it out for too long or forget about us and move on to the new GXXX.

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 11:56 PM
The Bios is still up on all sites, just have to check the "Other OS from the drop down. Even that is a mis nomenclature as BIOS has zip to do with what OS you are running.

There isn't much left for the BIOS to iron out. Short ist that Im aware of and only experience the first.

1) Left side USB ports disconnect at random when using external drives that use USB power. Seems to be limited to spinners and other higher draw devices. Jump drives and external SSDs, usb mouse etc dont seem to have problems.

2) Audio jack getting hot. Not everyone is affected by this one. Ive never even had it get slightly warm.

3) slow SSD response after return from sleep. I cant verify as I don't use sleep.

4) quick charge plus leaving power on all USB ports after shut down. This one is easy to work around, simply open the charger plus software and move the slier all the way to the right. As soon as the battery hits 99% it will kill the power to all ports when shut down.

Everything else is subjective and falls under don't like it but doesn't make it wrong. For example the crappy speakers.

4) quick charger issues. All USB ports seem to stay powered after shutdown when only the front right one is supposed to. That one is easy to work around though. Simply open the charger plus software and move the slider all the way to the right.

DVSSi
05-21-2016, 12:20 AM
I didn't mean to infer that I want ASUS to fix the issues I am experiencing through the BIOS as I know it has no effect on them. I am simply saying that if there is a fix for the audio jack area heating up that is software/driver related then I would hope they find it and as for the speakers "Hey, what can you do really about them, short of replacing them? (which I know isn't an option). USB hasn't given me any trouble at all on either side and I have used a WD Book (external HDD spinner) on both sides with no isssues although it does have its own power cord that goes to an outlet so this may be why I haven't experienced any issues. Like I stated earlier I am very happy with this laptop and will be an ROG supporter for the foreseeable future. "

JustinThyme
05-21-2016, 12:44 AM
Oh I wasnt inferring that you were inferring. LOL
Just a recap of what is still in the balance. The left side USB ports were the same with the G751s too. Same daughter board that I believe to be the culprit.
No you wont see a problem with WD Book as its a data link only and not drawing power from USB to spin the platter.

DVSSi
05-21-2016, 01:03 AM
Splendid then! Glad no inference was inferred then. LOL. I Have a couple external HDD's that draw power from their USB connections and will "monkey around" to see if I experience any of the quirks mentioned previously. Thanks again.